Operations vs Casual Gameplay...

Operations suck. Period. Whoever designed them was a moron. Period. I don't see why a casual player ever, never, ever would want to learn something so completely different from normal missions than what operations are... I tried, I failed, I'll never try again. No ops for me - they're not meant for normal players at all but for people who are masochists.

Have you tried story mode flash points?

There is a sliding scale from solo play to group play

solo quest->heroic2->heroic4->flash point4->operation8->operation16

Yes operation is different from solo questing. It requires certain level of group coordination. Some casual players still find it fun to learn it; well some don't.

By "failed" if you mean dying, wiping or seeing the "Game Over" screen, they are all part of the process and fun of playing games (well it used to be).

I would think casual players don't always one-shot all angry bird levels.

p.s. Failed pug is part of mmo too unfortunately. Some group just doesn't work even consisting of experienced raiders. So one bad experience may not be a good indication of how bad an operation is.

Edited by Banegio

Really if you run open Ops through GF it's going to be hit or miss. I don't plan on doing any non-guild Ops anymore for that reason. That said, Operations would be boring as hell if they were simply just like storyline quests. The mechanics can have quite a learning curve in some places but that's part of the game. It does help to have someone who's run the Op to explain the mechanics, but even if you don't in general there will be clues as to what to do. Purple/red circles are bad, stacks from the bosses are bad. and lit up terminals/etc generally have some value during the fights.

I will say that the most off-putting thing about those runs is that one person can screw the entire group even on SM, so it really does require teamwork and attention to detail. I'd recommend you join a guild to help you through it. There are a number of guilds that will help you progress and learn Ops at all levels, so give it a try. You're going to get bored if all you do is Black Hole/Section X/Makeb/Czerka after you hit 50.

Failing is just part of the process especially if you have a group of people who are new to the content or can't work well together.

My advice would be to find a group of people you enjoy running with. I mean I just got out of wiping on Kephess for the past two hours and still feel fairly successful. That same night with a group I didn't like, or know would have had me ready to punch the monitor though!:D

I get what you're saying, OP, I do, but for me, the few ops I've run have been the most fun I've had in-game. I am the epitome of the casual player. I have run EV on all modes and cleared them - most recently NiM for my infernal title, which I wear proudly. I have cleared SM KP with guildies, and failed at HM KP with mostly pugs - a bit disappointing, but still fun. And my pug EC SM group absolutely failed and fell apart at the Vorgath puzzle. My highest aspiration is to clear TFB and S&V on STORY mode...

Give EV SM a chance, then let us know how it goes. It is an epic experience, and I recommend trying. And guilds are good to run with.