• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It went from

OMG w00t an event Thanks Bioware to...:D

OMG Bioware HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Ultimately, the majority of people want events that they can choose to participate in, but which they are not forced to.

It went from

OMG w00t an event Thanks Bioware to...:D

OMG Bioware HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

They can't win, it's as simple as that. There will always be some who absolutely detest whatever they come up with.

Sorry, but you missed what was going on. I was pointing out that a game mechanic that allows somone to be an inconvenience to you doesn't make it griefing. I don't actually think it is griefing to take my node. I just used it as an example of another time I saw this kind of argument. And I find it silly that anytime someone is inconvenienced by someone else/a game mechanic you get players complaining about being 'griefed'.

I sincerely apologize for the harsh tone then.

But I still think 20 mins is really nothing compared to the sheer fun of it. Even if you are on a starter planet.

Sure, some egos will be shattered and some oh so serious "powerplayers" will get a bit ruffled... but it`s just a mildly amusing side-effect.

Actually, I think only the OP is against the event; the other people are arguing against the fact that it allows people to be griefed.

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

First, a quest was done by Bioware to actually infect 10 other people. The reason is probably to affect as much people as possible and give "life" to the world.

Right away, your definition of "grief" doesn't fit with Bioware. Since they are the makers of this game, their rules is all that mather. Not yours.

For some reason, this plague seems to have an awful effect on the player! Those same people are unable to describle how it is "disrupting my gameplay" but no mather! You can't accept the idea of a little special effect on your player... Well, Bioware got your back!

Buy a vaccin and afk the fleet for 6h... Your vaccin is down after your afk fest and you got infect! Oh noes! You only got 20 min to buy another one for an amazingly high price of 2k and return to your unique festival!

Seriously, just stop. Bioware's quest disagree with you and they even give you the option of simply ignoring this event.

To the other people complaining that they don't want to be involve with this... I just can't understand. Bioware gave you the option with the vaccin. It is a very low cost item with a very high duration. It is sold everywhere too! If you don't want to take that option, that's your own problem and not Bioware or our problem.

THat's because they're the griefers not the griefees.

It's cut and dry.

No, I've got it correct, that's why I was correcting you.

Deliberately harassing someone is griefing but griefing someone may or may not be not be deliberately harassing them.

It's not cut and dry. You're being pretty arrogant about this though, thinking your opinion is fact. And I haven't blown up anyone that didn't want the debuff, so I'm not even a griefer by your terms.

If it's not the act of me trying to deliberatly ruin your gameplay it's not griefing. That is the whole point of my argument. The term griefing rose from gaming culture to describe the act of deliberately trying to ruin another persons gameplay. If I'm griefing you, I'm intentionally trying to ruin your fun in the game for my enjoyment. Look up griefing on google. Every definition that comes up is about intentionally trying to ruin another persons gameplay.

Edited by Erimi

It does.

First, a quest was done by Bioware to actually infect 10 other people.
Yes, that's the main part of the complaint: that bioware has put in mechanics that allow and in fact encourage players to grief one another.

For some reason, this plague seems to have an awful effect on the player! Those same people are unable to describle how it is "disrupting my gameplay"
Actually, people have mentioned specific things about how it disrupts their gameplay.

Buy a vaccin and afk the fleet for 6h...
actually, it doesn't persist through death so it needs to be bought again after pretty much every warzone.

Seriously, just stop. Bioware's quest disagree with you and they even give you the option of simply ignoring this event.
citation needed.

right now there's evidence of bioware's negligence in the matter, not that they agree or disagree.

This I think is the big mistake. It should persist through death.
it's one of them, right after allowing people to infect people who don't want to be infected...

If it's not the act of me trying to deliberatly ruin your gameplay it's not griefing.
No, if you're doing it through negligence that's also griefing. Edited by ferroz

First, a quest was done by Bioware to actually infect 10 other people. The reason is probably to affect as much people as possible and give "life" to the world.

Right away, your definition of "grief" doesn't fit with Bioware. Since they are the makers of this game, their rules is all that mather. Not yours.

Just because the idea the instituted has resulted in certain things happening, doesn't mean BW intended that. They may just as easily have not thought things though, and given some of what's going on, I'm quite certain this is the case. I highly doubt they intended newbies on Korriban or Ord Mantell to have to encouter and deal with this plague, get confused while they're trying to learn the game, and so on, for instance. Fairly certain they simply didn't think things through.

For some reason, this plague seems to have an awful effect on the player! Those same people are unable to describle how it is "disrupting my gameplay" but no mather! You can't accept the idea of a little special effect on your player... Well, Bioware got your back!

This is simply not true. People have explained repeatedly how it is disrupting gameplay, and you simply choose not to acknowledge it. Allow me to enumerate the problems again:

1) Any kind of gameplay which requires precise execution, such as PvP warzones and endgame PvE, is disrupted. No doubt turrets have been capped on Alderaan all because someone's plague flared up at just the wrong time.

2) Players are not participating in the other aspects of the game at the same rate as before. The economy and endgame content has all taken a participation hit.

3) Some players, believe it or not, care about there appearance and do not want to look like they are infected. If someone cares enough to spend several million credits swapping mods into orange gear, they may very well not want that nice looking outfit to be covered in sludge, even for a small period of time - much less the month some are suggesting this may last.

4) Players are, in many cases, just generally standing on the fleet doing nothing and not contributing to the game world in any way whatsoever.

5) Low level players on Tatooine are in many cases not able to complete their quests there due to the sudden influx of, at times, over 50 of the opposing faction's level 50 players. FOR THESE PLAYERS, THE ENTIRE GAME HAS BEEN PUT INDEFINITELY ON HOLD UNTIL THINGS CHANGE..

Buy a vaccin and afk the fleet for 6h... Your vaccin is down after your afk fest and you got infect! Oh noes! You only got 20 min to buy another one for an amazingly high price of 2k and return to your unique festival!

To the other people complaining that they don't want to be involve with this... I just can't understand. Bioware gave you the option with the vaccin. It is a very low cost item with a very high duration. It is sold everywhere too! If you don't want to take that option, that's your own problem and not Bioware or our problem.

In fact, any time you die you lose immunity, and if you are out trying to actually PLAY THE GAME, instead of the new fun that is standing on fleet, then you will die often enough that this becomes a problem.

it's one of them, right after allowing people to infect people who don't want to be infected...

No, if you're doing it through negligence that's also griefing.

No, you're changing the meaning of griefing at the point. Griefing is 100% about the mentality of the player doing the action.

Just followed this new storyline and completed the missions.

For what it's worth, I love it.

BioWare use the concept of the rakghoul plague in a great way for this event.

From the announcements at the fleet, the newscasts and the actual infecting of players, I'm really enjoying it as it adds a lot of "life" to the universe.

To those that don't like it: It's an event which means the plague will most likely be around for a limited time. Also, there are ways to avoid it and there's a vaccine.

While I can appreciate some might have a problem with this, for all we know it might just be for a week or so, and then everything will be back to normal. At any rate, I think it's far too early to start complaining about it just yet.

Anyway, this event gets a big thumbs up from me...so thank you BioWare! :)

SE

Edited by ShavedEwok

No, you're changing the meaning of griefing at the point. Griefing is 100% about the mentality of the player doing the action.

I must agree with this. I think, in fact, all the discussions of griefing in this topic have really missed this key point of definition. If there is intention behind it, it is griefing.

It does.

Yes, that's the main part of the complaint: that bioware has put in mechanics that allow and in fact encourage players to grief one another.

right now there's evidence of bioware's negligence in the matter, not that they agree or disagree.

At this point, if it encourages NO FUN ALLOWED players to go elsewhere, I think the number of players attracted by events like this will be a net gain.

It's not even negligence. It's Bioware making an event and you going STOP TOUCHING ME!

In any case, I've had fun tonight and hope we'll see more events like this. Games that leave safe zones 100% safe get boring in a hurry.

Ultimately, the majority of people want events that they can choose to participate in, but which they are not forced to.

Source that claim please, otherwise don't claim that a "majority" of people want anything. If anything about the history of these forums tells us that when people are upset we see multiple threads constantly popping up complaining about an issue (because looking at the top few threads is hard apparently) instead of one mostly thread that is mostly positive about said issue or event.

The tone around here has actually been pretty positive today which is incredibility odd for this forum. The only thing that I've seen constant new threads on in relation to this event is the whole green/black crystal thing. Not the infecting thing. At least from the anecdotal evidence of threads on the event I think you are wrong about the amount of people that are upset by this alleged "griefing".

In fact, any time you die you lose immunity, and if you are out trying to actually PLAY THE GAME, instead of the new fun that is standing on fleet, then you will die often enough that this becomes a problem.

Of course, every time you die you're no longer -infected-, either. And you can get healed, too.

I know. The concept of not having a healer on a PvP warzone, on ops, or flashpoints is stunning. I suppose it might happen.

*grabs a bag of popcorn and a bottle of Guinness and starts reading all the QQing*

This is priceless. :D QQing about the plague, then QQers QQing about the OTHER QQers. All the tears.. the sweet glorious tears!!! :D

Seriously, look at yourselves. Just look at yourselves. Wow. lol

Just because the idea the instituted has resulted in certain things happening, doesn't mean BW intended that. They may just as easily have not thought things though, and given some of what's going on, I'm quite certain this is the case. I highly doubt they intended newbies on Korriban or Ord Mantell to have to encouter and deal with this plague, get confused while they're trying to learn the game, and so on, for instance. Fairly certain they simply didn't think things through.

This is simply not true. People have explained repeatedly how it is disrupting gameplay, and you simply choose not to acknowledge it. Allow me to enumerate the problems again:

1) Any kind of gameplay which requires precise execution, such as PvP warzones and endgame PvE, is disrupted. No doubt turrets have been capped on Alderaan all because someone's plague flared up at just the wrong time.

2) Players are not participating in the other aspects of the game at the same rate as before. The economy and endgame content has all taken a participation hit.

3) Some players, believe it or not, care about there appearance and do not want to look like they are infected. If someone cares enough to spend several million credits swapping mods into orange gear, they may very well not want that nice looking outfit to be covered in sludge, even for a small period of time - much less the month some are suggesting this may last.

4) Players are, in many cases, just generally standing on the fleet doing nothing and not contributing to the game world in any way whatsoever.

5) Low level players on Tatooine are in many cases not able to complete their quests there due to the sudden influx of, at times, over 50 of the opposing faction's level 50 players. FOR THESE PLAYERS, THE ENTIRE GAME HAS BEEN PUT INDEFINITELY ON HOLD UNTIL THINGS CHANGE..

I think they missed two things. The vaccine could persist in death, which would solve most of the things on your list. And those cleanse droids should be in the start zone hangers. So you can't get onto the planet with the plague for the newbie zones.

Edited by Erimi

Of course, every time you die you're no longer -infected-, either. And you can get healed, too.

I know. The concept of not having a healer on a PvP warzone, on ops, or flashpoints is stunning. I suppose it might happen.

People are at times remaining infected throughout warzones because it only takes one exploding person to infect a bunch of people again.

I could of easily logged on as my 47 Bounty Hunter and gave the other character the money. But I like to keep each character independent from one another. I doubt many would mind this event if some people would stop trying to infect as many others as possible.

Again I am not complaining about the event itself Bioware is just trying to have a little fun and mix it up, problem I had was with people just going around infecting anyone they can on the fleet like that.

You really don't take any of the credits that your high level character has attained and send it to your alts? I don't know about you, but I've made more credits with my inquisitor than I know what to do with and I didn't use any kind of special strategy to do it. If I don't use it on my alt, it just sits there being used for very little beside the occasional repair. By the way, those people are only working on the quest as part of the event.

Slaughterhouse/Kallas

Great ruler of ATW (irony)

The man that took 4 months to get to 50 I guess who leads a guild of 250 (2/3's havn't logged in over 30 days) is also a person that IF you didn't want to participate in the game event can not afford the quick 2k vacine? OMG You are just getting to embarass yourself with these absolute stupid posts. PLEASE QUIT. You are the player type that drags so many people down with you its not even funny.

Just go find an Emo server of swg and crawl in there and have a good cry of what was once was. Cause this is a whole new game with OMG CONTENT!!!! God forbid they throw in something that a lot of people find fun and a distraction to the every day grind.

From,

Elderwar- Guild leader of Empireofsith. A real leader with a pair to go with it.

Source that claim please, otherwise don't claim that a "majority" of people want anything. If anything about the history of these forums tells us that when people are upset we see multiple threads constantly popping up complaining about an issue (because looking at the top few threads is hard apparently) instead of one mostly thread that is mostly positive about said issue or event.

The tone around here has actually been pretty positive today which is incredibility odd for this forum. The only thing that I've seen constant new threads on in relation to this event is the whole green/black crystal thing. Not the infecting thing. At least from the anecdotal evidence of threads on the event I think you are wrong about the amount of people that are upset by this alleged "griefing".

This very thread contradicts your point. It is an example of the many posts I have seen of people complaining about it. Yes, some are happy with the plague. Many are not, and they are complaining.

On top of that, as I said elsewhere, the fact is that the types of people most likely to be unhappy with things are also the types of people least likely to post on forums, or even know they exist.

Finally, please understand that I like-to-love the event itself, but I despise the plague aspect of it as implemented. Every other aspect of it is something you can choose to participate in or not. (Well, to a degree. I continue to insist that this is grossly unfair to players needing to go through Tatooine as the quest and level.) The plague takes it too far. It could even be maintained, but done just ever so slightly differently to prevent the few problems it is causing.

It does.

Actually, people have mentioned specific things about how it disrupts their gameplay.

actually, it doesn't persist through death so it needs to be bought again after pretty much every warzone.

citation needed.

For the warzonne excuse... First, you keep saying you don't like pvp so in reality, it doesn't mather to you. Just another excuse but let's say you do for fun...

You had alot of wzs where you never died? Because it take 20 min for the explosion effect meaning you will probably die before (and never suffer the oh **** plague death). The vomiting part stun you which might suck but I guess you didn't realise it also almost fill completly your resolve bar... I see potential in that really. Nothing is just dark and bad. Not awesome I will admit but still.

And really, I don't need a citation since it is in the game. What you consider a mistake might not be for them.

Now, can you bring me a citation where Bioware Said that plaguing other people(which can be avoid at the low cost of 2k for 6h!) is griefing bad and should be stop?

no? That's what I thought. Until they say otherwise, Your opinion is just that... opinion. And their quest (I said quest and not bug abuse of something unplaned) is showing where they are standing in this mather. You said negligence? The negligence is on your part for ignoring the many possibility to completly avoid this.