Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically a portion of your comunity is getting screwed? Some of us want to change server types since population but also play styles of a current server type may not fit us. Thanks.

I really like this game but i'm not willing to lean over and take a beaten because your company can't get its crap together with transfers / mergers in a timely fashion and only seem to care about one part of the larger problem.

FREE TRANSFERS FOR ALL!

Word.

This is really stupid.

My main is on a german pvp server, which is now dead, like every other german server.

I had to reroll on a pve server, which was the only german server with a good population but I thought with server transfers, I might transfers to a pvp server which will then, thanks to server transfers, have a high population.

I knew Bioware somehow will mess it up again. Time to unsubscribe for the first time till launch in December.

Honestly your posts about transfers was 'early summer' well early summer is here and frankly there is NO sign of the patch coming anytime soon. You have asked us to wait and be patient but I feel that you are holding so many things for the 'patch' rather then just applying them. The wait is not just because we want what we want, it is impossible to play on the low to no pop servers. You have built in a STRONG requirement for groups in the game and while one can level solo that is ALL they can do. Everything else requires a group. So either make those groups possible or build in more Solo content. (and not just more grinding dalies) I don't usually complain about the wait time for development/coding/all those technical things but the wait time on this feature has gone overboard. People leave the game in droves all because the population is so low and they don't want to start over. Stop waiting for everything else in the patch to be ready and just do this. The game can not survive the loss of people due to this one stupid thing. :confused:

In the EU there is now only one english RP-PvP and it's light, so how will that wrk then ?

So unless you combine the frensh/english/german and plain RP servers into one you got a problem.

You people in Europe are getting it REAL bad. You have 3 RP-PVP's, all in different languages and only one of them is hitting Standard still.

So, best case scenario under the current statement from BW: You'll have 2 dead servers and one light Standard combined to make one Light to medium Standard with 3 different languages on it. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT, SIR.

The reason why Legacy complicates things is because it wasn't coded very well in the first place. It's clear the database schema used for SWTOR was not created with the realities of MMOs in mind.

Any time BioWare says "technical limitations" on a basic quality of life, common sense or obvious feature, keep in mind it's THEIR tech and their fault they painted themselves in a really apparent, obvious corner.

There's zero technical limitations on why a character can't swap between any server types or location. There's no special gear, flags, quests, doodads, trinkets, widgets, abilities, skills, companions or any other piece of data that makes up your character on any non-standard ruleset server. It's the ruleset that changes, not you. You're just a little pawn in the game, being put onto a different chessboard.

They need to get a server transfer system in place so they can check it off their list of things to be implemented and that's what we're getting. The token transfer system. Look at all the people in this thread saying "EA take my money please, just let me transfer to wherever I want." Do you think EA is gonna say "no, no, keep your money!" If so, could you direct me to where you parked your time machine because clearly you've missed the last 20 years of the videogame business.

Edited by noodlenoodle

Honestly your posts about transfers was 'early summer' well early summer is here and frankly there is NO sign of the patch coming anytime soon. You have asked us to wait and be patient but I feel that you are holding so many things for the 'patch' rather then just applying them. The wait is not just because we want what we want, it is impossible to play on the low to no pop servers. You have built in a STRONG requirement for groups in the game and while one can level solo that is ALL they can do. Everything else requires a group. So either make those groups possible or build in more Solo content. (and not just more grinding dalies) I don't usually complain about the wait time for development/coding/all those technical things but the wait time on this feature has gone overboard. People leave the game in droves all because the population is so low and they don't want to start over. Stop waiting for everything else in the patch to be ready and just do this. The game can not survive the loss of people due to this one stupid thing. :confused:

Summer officially starts June 20'th Its still Spring.

In the EU there is now only one english RP-PvP and it's light, so how will that wrk then ?

So unless you combine the frensh/english/german and plain RP servers into one you got a problem.

Plain RP? No way, that'd be waaayyy overpopulated. There are 9 RP servers, and my one RP server is already high Standard. The plain RP servers will probably need at least 3 to avoid queues by themselves.

Also, for everyone else, keep in mind, please, that this is only the first phase.

I have 2 level 50s on a low pop server. One of those I put in a lot of time to gear up, clear Ops with (cleared through HM on all Ops but Explosive Conflict). I had to walk away from her because our server died. Now I'm on Jedi Covenant with a new level 50 and just starting to clear Ops again. I don't care about changing their names, she can be Fuzzywuzzywasabear for all I care, or the inconvenience of moving to a new server. I just want to get all of my toons in the same place! I think it's incredibly frustrating to have put in all of that time to have her rotting on an empty server. And more frustrating to not be able to bring all of my accounts together.

Sending you luck :) There is a chance it could happen.

This MIGHT just save the game.

Good news.

Until you read and see not only will many people lose legacy names but also you wont be able to reunite characters that should on the same legacy because you rerolled in order to have fun again.

This entire thing is looking to be a marketing gimmick to make the people, myself included, who have been angry about populations shut up.

This is such a poor, simple and weak handed attempt at fixing this issue that it blows my mind. Just open up 15 servers to move to, and close the rest.

BE DONE WITH IT. KILL THE LOW POP SEVERS SO WE CAN PLAY A MMO.

The more I read about this the more I'm horrified.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion and mine happens to differ from yours. I feel the the approach they are taking is an excellent first step. Now I don't know if my server will be a destination or an origin server nor whether or not I'll have to rename my characters. It doesn't matter. Most likely enough people will voluntarily transfer to make playing much more enjoyable.

They will eventually open up paid transfers and for those with characters fragmented across multiple servers and server types will be able to transfer those characters.

A free-for-all approach or forced server mergers would probably create more problems and irritate more people than the current measured approach. No solution is going to please everyone. I'm just glad that action is being taken.

Edited by Erasimus

The patch is coming up sometime in July, so chill. The devs are fixing minor bugs and stuff in their weekly patching but all major changes to the game wait until the major patch, otherwise we'll have what happened in RIFT when one day of every week was unplayable because they rushed to get stuff out then promptly screwed it up and had to spend all day trying to fix it. BW is sending out major patches every couple of months. It takes time to get everything ready and all those people that are leaving just don't realize that, hey, wait it out. This game has huge potential and BW is getting it on its fit finally. With 1.3 and 1.4 we should see major changes that will fix most issues. These patches are coming out in just the right amount of time in my opinion.

I get the idea behind this set of free character transfers is a form of damage control. Right now people are screaming at BW that their server hasn't enough players, and they are going to quit because of this. BW say they are trying to sort this, but it'll be summer. People scream 'WE NEED IT NOW OR I QUIT!'

So BW roll out this one, with specific servers being picked as 'destination' ones that will hopefully provide the core set of servers that people who want larger communities of players will go to. This is to immediately stop the haemorraghing of players that is currently happening daily, staunch the bleeding. It's not healing the wound, but stopping it from getting any worse while they work on the real solution.

Because this current phase is only allowing you to transfer from one server to another specific one, it wouldn't be at all fair to change the 'style' of server, because there is no choice in the matter. Here's how I see it.

PvE -> PvP is allowed: From experience, this seriously annoys the original PvP players. Despite how it's gone on TOR, levelling to 50 on a PvP server carries considerably more risk than doing so on a PvE server. Given the way some people behave, you could find yourself being constantly ganked for an hour or more of your precious playtime on a PvP server, not achieving anything, and by signing up for that kind of server, you recognise that's a risk, and have to put up with it. On PvE, if you don't want that to happen, you can ensure it doesn't, by staying unflagged. To a PvP player, it's like having a fresh faced university graduate come to your work, do the same job as you for the same pay, despite your years of service to the company. You'd be bitter, even if only a little bit.

PvP -> PvE is allowed: People roll on PvP for a reason, as stated above. Whether because of the risk, or because they like being able to PvP whenever they meet an opposing faction player. Why on earth would they choose to move to a server than can restrict the way they want to play the game. Hardly anyone would move.

RP -> PvE is allowed: Again, people roll on an RP server for a reason. They want to RP. They want immersion. At least on an RP server they have some degree of protection from l33t speak and conversations about the football match (It still happens, but it's not too often). You roll on an RP server, because you know that the majority of the other players who roll on there share your desire to roleplay their character. This is not the case on a PvE server. Again, you wouldn't see a whole lot of character movement going on, as most would prefer to stay on the RP server.

PvE -> RP is allowed. Nothing is worse to an RP'er than being involved in some serious roleplay, and having some moron come running through leaping up and down and spoiling the scene by behaving 'Out of character;. By forcing PvE players onto an RP server, the RPers are going to be extremely offended, as Rpers have an idea (Thanks to trolls) that non Rpers are going to laugh at them, and nobody likes to be mocked, and the PvE players (If they happen to care) are going to feel uncomfortable as they're forced into an environment they don't really want to be in.

Changing server types in this first phase of the transfers won't work. Later, once the damage is mitigated and populations stabilise, BW can work on getting people's characters consolidated, or shifted to different types of server. Just be patient. Right now, I'm happy we'll finally be getting populations on the servers so grouping is viable for us again.

Hey Devs-

If 1.3 is focused around Group play, why the hell are you making it hard to move a GUILD, the only GROUPS some of us have been relying on for the past few months? I'm still holding on to a thin shred of hope that my server is targeted as a destination, because this seems like a bit much of a burden to shift onto your playerbase to rectify your post-launch kneejerk reaction to open way too many servers. Great option for you unguilded folks, but guilds are getting the shaft here.

How do you figure guilds are getting the shaft. Yes you will have to reform your guild but a simply request sent into customer service and they will make your guild bank however big it was on your original server. They can't transfer whole guilds as that takes away the option from people on what happens to their account. I'd be pretty pissed if someone decided for me where I would move, even if I was in a guild that I planned to move with. Your guild gets to keep everything it has, so what's the issue for guilds again?

Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.

I understand the logic behind this move, but I do think it is a mistake. A server like Jung Ma (if it is a destination server) isn't going to see much benefit from absorbing the other two NA RP-PvP Servers, but I do think many on low population PvP servers would consider a transfer there if allowed to do so.

Please reconsider allowing RP-PvP destination servers to allow more origin servers than just the RP-PvP ones.

The reason why Legacy complicates things is because it wasn't coded very well in the first place. It's clear the database schema used for SWTOR was not created with the realities of MMOs in mind.

Any time BioWare says "technical limitations" on a basic quality of life, common sense or obvious feature, keep in mind it's THEIR tech and their fault they painted themselves in a really apparent, obvious corner.

There's zero technical limitations on why a character can't swap between any server types or location. There's no special gear, flags, quests, doodads, trinkets, widgets, abilities, skills, companions or any other piece of data that makes up your character on any non-standard ruleset server. It's the ruleset that changes, not you. You're just a little pawn in the game, being put onto a different chessboard.

They need to get a server transfer system in place so they can check it off their list of things to be implemented and that's what we're getting. The token transfer system. Look at all the people in this thread saying "EA take my money please, just let me transfer to wherever I want." Do you think EA is gonna say "no, no, keep your money!" If so, could you direct me to where you parked your time machine because clearly you've missed the last 20 years of the videogame business.

As nice as transfering to any server you want sounds it would cause a lot of problems. So many people have allready rolled new characters on Fatman that there are already queue times pretty regularly. If everyone is able to choose where they go a large majority will go to one of the current top 3 because the populations there are already high. Then, we'll see even longer queue times. A planned and strategic funneling is necessary to create healthy populations all around on several servers. After that is done, they can open up less restrictive transfers because there won't be as many people eager to go to one of the 'big 3' because their current server will be healthier.

The patch is coming up sometime in July, so chill. The devs are fixing minor bugs and stuff in their weekly patching but all major changes to the game wait until the major patch, otherwise we'll have what happened in RIFT when one day of every week was unplayable because they rushed to get stuff out then promptly screwed it up and had to spend all day trying to fix it. BW is sending out major patches every couple of months. It takes time to get everything ready and all those people that are leaving just don't realize that, hey, wait it out. This game has huge potential and BW is getting it on its fit finally. With 1.3 and 1.4 we should see major changes that will fix most issues. These patches are coming out in just the right amount of time in my opinion.

The fact is the patch and server transfers aren't even linked. The post on server transfers said they were startign on June 12th. It has nothing to do with 1.3...the poster was just confused and/or didn't read the server transfer post before shouting "fiiiiiiiiiiiire"

Respectfully, this is a major mistake. With all 3 North American RP-PVP servers, we still wont be looking at populations anywhere near what they were on opening week.

Ven Zallow is dead, and the other two are low Standards. Even when combined, we will still have low populations compared to what the server is capable of running.

^^This

Please reconsider when it comes to RP-PvP servers. Even if all of them were combined, there aren't enough servers of this type to make a healthy population. I was really looking forward to a nicely populated server.

Just get rid of the RP-PvP designation entirely if you have to. Or allow people to transfer between PvP and RP-PvP.

My server, Jung Ma, used to have a healthy population so it wasn't much of a concern. But now even this server is dwindling. Let us enjoy your game as intended on a server with a healthy population.

The fact is the patch and server transfers aren't even linked. The post on server transfers said they were startign on June 12th. It has nothing to do with 1.3...the poster was just confused and/or didn't read the server transfer post before shouting "fiiiiiiiiiiiire"

lol. I just read it as linking the patch and server transfers together that way they have more time to get everything done, work out the bugs and just get over with once instead of stretching things out.

I correct myself in that the post on transfers does state that they will start on June 12th. This does appear to be happening outside of the patch. The way that they word it outside of that one sentence makes it seem like it is attached to the patch. My mistake. I'd delete my post if I could. Edited by LadyJezebele
Mistake

I understand the logic behind this move, but I do think it is a mistake. A server like Jung Ma (if it is a destination server) isn't going to see much benefit from absorbing the other two NA RP-PvP Servers, but I do think many on low population PvP servers would consider a transfer there if allowed to do so.

Please reconsider allowing RP-PvP destination servers to allow more origin servers than just the RP-PvP ones.

It would at least double it's size and make it comparable with everything, except Fatman.

I really like what you are implement and it does make sense. My only concern is that I do have a guild and it would be nice to transfer that guild, should we all decide to leave the Vrook Lamar server... Though it might not be that bad. For all I know, Lamar is a destination server!

Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.

So let me get this right. Guild deplyment was pooly implemented at launch and we were handed severly unbalanced servers between factions. Alos as a reslult many in my guild have rolled on a pve server or stoped playing. So there is no chance to move our allready max level characters to join what few remaining friends I have left from other mmo's on a different server type. I dont buy it I need a good reason why you wont allow it.

If there is any chance this will be handled like Guild deployment at launch there is nothing you can say to reassure me the same nightmare unbalanced server placement wont happen again. I remember reading the idea was to help forge communities and reuinte friends but this news is quite contrary to that.