StarWars.com Tweets out Onslaught release trailer. Folks, this is a soft relaunch!

ZionHalcyon

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, if Onslaught were a soft relaunch, there'd have been way more re-design, there'd be a console port, there'd be CG trailers, and StarWars.com wouldn't be saying it was the FIFTH expansion to this existing game, because that doesn't sound inviting to new players.

I too would love a relaunch of a new and improved SWTOR, but that stuff doesn't happen to aging games with small development teams and a publisher that's largely just interested in big new AAA games, and it certainly doesn't get kept under wraps until just DAYS before it would launch.

:) I Actually do Want to be excited for this. A new story, no more "Zakuul", Mek-Sha and Onderon, Companions back on our ships so Maybe they're getting some attention, Malgus is Back again at this it does seem Promising. This Gearing issue, it seems like a slog really and the people most interested in this New Story are the ones (Typically) least likely to Grind away their afternoons for 1/19th better gear through RNG vendors to get RNG gear. This does look interesting yes, however the RNG also seems troubling.

Based on what I've seen in SWTOR so far I'll have Hope but that's all I can *Risk.

I think there actually is some reason to be optimistic here.

Charles' post saying that a future State of the Galaxy article would be difficult due to all the branching suggests there is more than just 2 (maybe not 6 mind you).

Personally, I'm quite looking forward to it (I don't give a hoot about gear)

As always, wait and see.

I'm not so sure I'd go so far as calling it a soft relaunch. Not even close. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket or to be a downer, I just don't share quite the same enthusiasm as you do, Zion. I hope you're right, but I felt excitement only to be let down too many times. I've learned to temper my expectations.

The only time my excitement was justified where I was truly stoked by the outcome was Shadow of Revan. That was the best one in my opinion.

It's hard to tell from a 28-second clip if anything meaningful will happen, or if choices will really mean anything, and as always my concern is, 'are evil people going to be punished (seeing as I play evil people) by being robbed of romance options' and such. I think evil characters deserve some love too. :)

All this said, if it does surpass expectations and turns out to be great fun, I'll be among the first to say so. Until then, colour me cautious.

I'm not so sure I'd go so far as calling it a soft relaunch. Not even close. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket or to be a downer, I just don't share quite the same enthusiasm as you do, Zion. I hope you're right, but I felt excitement only to be let down too many times. I've learned to temper my expectations.

The only time my excitement was justified where I was truly stoked by the outcome was Shadow of Revan. That was the best one in my opinion.

It's hard to tell from a 28-second clip if anything meaningful will happen, or if choices will really mean anything, and as always my concern is, 'are evil people going to be punished (seeing as I play evil people) by being robbed of romance options' and such. I think evil characters deserve some love too. :)

All this said, if it does surpass expectations and turns out to be great fun, I'll be among the first to say so. Until then, colour me cautious.

welcome back luna, i havent seen you in a long long time.

People can play semantic games all they want about how they define 6.0. For me it is straightforward: They are releasing new content.

As for the debate about trailers, I think (although I'm sure it has been done) there are several Ph.D dissertations to be written about how social media is supplanting traditional forms of advertising. If 6.0 is good, word of mouth (or tweet) will spread.

Consider the fact that the link Zion posted already has close to 100,000 views and 4,100 likes on Twitter.

Regardless, I look forward to turning out the lights, locking myself in my man cave, making a Chopin Vodka martini (or two), and playing the new content. I'll worry about the gearing nonsense after I complete the story on each faction.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Soft relaunch? 6.0 is barely an "expansion" compared to other MMOs like ESO and FFXIV.

Games like ESO and FF14 have about 3 times the size companies backing them, and don't say EA is backing swtor cause it's mainly bioware that does anything swtor related because swtor doesn't come under the Disney/EA swtor license

Games like ESO and FF14 have about 3 times the size companies backing them, and don't say EA is backing swtor cause it's mainly bioware that does anything swtor related because swtor doesn't come under the Disney/EA swtor license

You do realize everything you just said is extremely inaccurate right?

i have to agree with OP... and for all those saying 30 second trailer is pathetic, its a teaser, multiple sources including charles boyd have confirmed there will be a longer trailer coming in next couple days...

now for some wild speculation....

the offical star wars twitter showed the teaser...

we are getting a new movie trailer monday...

wonder if the offical star wars will also showcase the full trailer monday as well? cash in on some extra fan attention... could be way out there but im hopeful.

People can play semantic games all they want about how they define 6.0. For me it is straightforward: They are releasing new content.

As for the debate about trailers, I think (although I'm sure it has been done) there are several Ph.D dissertations to be written about how social media is supplanting traditional forms of advertising. If 6.0 is good, word of mouth (or tweet) will spread.

Consider the fact that the link Zion posted already has close to 100,000 views and 4,100 likes on Twitter.

Regardless, I look forward to turning out the lights, locking myself in my man cave, making a Chopin Vodka martini (or two), and playing the new content. I'll worry about the gearing nonsense after I complete the story on each faction.

Dasty

What most people don't understand is it that swtor ran off most of the story folks already. what is left of the players who care more about the game system than the Star wars story.

Not that the gaming systems aren't important but stories always what drove this game. And now look at the recognition it's getting on swtor.com. most people are saying they can't see a soft launch based off of a mini trailer but they're ignoring all the other things I mentioned in my second Post in this thread. There's a lot more than just a clip that makes me believe this is indeed a soft relaunch of the game.

If BioWare is getting back to putting story as king I am down.

What most people don't understand is it that swtor ran off most of the story folks already. what is left of the players who care more about the game system than the Star wars story.

Not that the gaming systems aren't important but stories always what drove this game. And now look at the recognition it's getting on swtor.com. most people are saying they can't see a soft launch based off of a mini trailer but they're ignoring all the other things I mentioned in my second Post in this thread. There's a lot more than just a clip that makes me believe this is indeed a soft relaunch of the game.

IMO Zion …

MMO's are somewhat evolving. Hence the need to address more than just one audience. The company that figures out how to do that with a good balance is the one that "grows to the next level".

Either extreme tends to gravitate or polarize thereby "pushing away" a part of their potential audience: this is of course somewhat unintentional …. but a result none the less.

I believe that you and Dasty have valid points and are for the most part correct !

I would simply prefer that third option !

;)

Oh trust me you're still correct on a lot of that. And I don't mean to dismiss game play.

But Star wars in and of itself is a story-driven vehicle. when the story holds up it is revered and when it doesn't is mercilessly torn down.

so first successful Star wars game, the story always needs to be front-and-center and deliver on those story beats. You could have the most technically advanced game in the world and it would still end up failing if it is Star wars but fails to deliver on that Star wars feeling and story. While system wonks will vehemently disagree oh, this is precisely the reason swg failed.

it was a game that started with the most advanced systems I had ever seen in terms of customization and freedom for the player in a game. But when it launched its actually was dress up Barbie with Star wars characters. you can build these awesome characters but there was no adventure for them to participate in and that killed any chance of it being a true success.

then they went ahead and messed with the only things keeping people there with their combat upgrade and new game enhancements and then lost much of the rest of their crowd who were there for the game and not the story.

The game design is absolutely important. But this is Star wars. If it doesn't deliver on story it's doomed.

Hence why people left in droves after kotfe, and the announcement of no more class stories before that.

they're getting back to what made the game Star wars with this expansion in a huge way is my impression.

I hope you are right that Bioware is getting back to focusing on the story! Also, what they do after the expansion will determine if I continue subscribing. Will they regularly release story content, or is it back to nothing for the next 3 years?

Edited by Ciarayn

Oh trust me you're still correct on a lot of that. And I don't mean to dismiss game play.

But Star wars in and of itself is a story-driven vehicle. when the story holds up it is revered and when it doesn't is mercilessly torn down.

so first successful Star wars game, the story always needs to be front-and-center and deliver on those story beats. You could have the most technically advanced game in the world and it would still end up failing if it is Star wars but fails to deliver on that Star wars feeling and story. While system wonks will vehemently disagree oh, this is precisely the reason swg failed.

it was a game that started with the most advanced systems I had ever seen in terms of customization and freedom for the player in a game. But when it launched its actually was dress up Barbie with Star wars characters. you can build these awesome characters but there was no adventure for them to participate in and that killed any chance of it being a true success.

then they went ahead and messed with the only things keeping people there with their combat upgrade and new game enhancements and then lost much of the rest of their crowd who were there for the game and not the story.

The game design is absolutely important. But this is Star wars. If it doesn't deliver on story it's doomed.

Hence why people left in droves after kotfe, and the announcement of no more class stories before that.

they're getting back to what made the game Star wars with this expansion in a huge way is my impression.

Ironically .. I think we're both saying essentially the same thing... Just from a different approach !

I also see the SW saga as being a part of the overall story being important. The difference being that KotFE / ET wasn't all that bad a story... BUT.. as you have alluded to there were some other factors ( I think we've both covered that before so I wont waste everyone's time with a walk down memory lane). I just think that BW over did the thing about the emperor. By the time we were finally done with the story .. I was REALLY glad to be done ! Sheesh ! I've cats with less life spans ! :D

At any rate: here's to hope for a better tomorrow and a better SWTOR !

The clock is ticking down to launch time: I'm still "cautiously optimistic" …

I hope you are right that Bioware is getting back to focusing on the story! Also, what they do after the expansion will determine if I continue subscribing. Will they regularly release story content, or is it back to nothing for the next 3 years?

the only issue we have to contend with them is BioWare's business model of feeling like it's okay to let people leave and then come back when there's content..

but they are streamlining engine things so perhaps they'll be able to push content out at a quicker clip too. We'll have to see what happens.

one thing I will say, don't expect any sort of movement until March of next year after this launch. Typically BioWare spends the next month fixing any issues from launch, and then it's pretty much radio silence until between end of February and mid-march.

Oh, Lhancelot, you are going to see my optimism again. :D Yeah - I'm hyped. :rak_03:

That's good, better to have your mind in a pleasant place than a dark hopeless place. I am just waiting, I been keeping my mind away from 6.0 for the past week or more because nothing we add or request this late matters imo.

I do think they are changing a lot of stuff, and it could be that they are laying the groundwork for long term systemic changes that can evolve and be built upon, and support future changes.

That, or they are clueless and just flying at the seat of their pants adding anything and everything that they can think of. You know, the adage, throwing stuff on a wall to see what sticks.

Or, maybe both scenarios fit, I don't know. We may never know, but we will know if these changes are good for the game or not in a few weeks once the dust settles.

In all truthfulness, I hope BW did well with 6.0, and I hope the game becomes better with 6.0 added.

I don't want to be bitter and jaded, I want to be excited about this game like I used to be but BioWare which I once loved above all others has been disappointing me for years and that includes the last few years of SWtOR. I would love if you end up being right and they decide to shower this game with the love and attention it deserves but I just can't bring myself to get my hopes up. :(