Should RP avoid General chat?

Phill

I posted something like this during beta I believe..but wanted to bring it up again and see what other people think..

I know Ebon Hawk is a Role Playing server. However, I would think that "General Chat" should not be used for RP?

The primary reason is that General chat is seen by all on your planet, station, etc. Not just those around you. In fleet I could on a different ship and still see your comments.

I do see the following channels that would be perfect for RP..

/say

/whisper

/guild

/ops

etc..

There has been a few times where someone was RPing in general chat and it took me a few to catch on..I've seen arguments between players where the RPer will state: "OOC: This is a RP server, why do you roll on a RP server and NOT RP?"

I don't want to tell other players how to play..regardless if it is a RP server or not..but I am wondering if there is a standard in RPing..more like Role Playing Etiquette? Is it acceptable to use General Chat for RPing?

Thats the problem with people today.. They dont know how to just mind their own damn buisness.

RP in Gen chat if you want. Who cares? or rather Who should care? Why would it matter when All you have to do is just ignore it.

I can see people getting upset that their LFG stuff is getting buried in RP. But why not just spam your LFG then. If your going to RP in Gen Chat you have to expect that some of it may get lost in Gen Chatter.

Edited by DarthBror

Hope you don't mind me hopping in to speak even though I'm from another RP server. :)

Just a heads up I'm more a 'passive RP' person myself. (I don't actively RP unless someone starts doing it around me first, then I might do it back a bit) I personally think on RP servers, RP can and should be allowed to happen anywhere with no constraints. Sure when folks do it in gen chat it might take a second or two to 'catch on' but it something to be mindful of since we all made an active choice to roll on an RP server. Nothing makes me sadder then to see non RP folks go on a RP server and bug folks for actually RPing!

I'm just thankful the pure RP folks don't give me a hard time for hanging out on their server and throwing cookie parties on their general chat. (It has become it's own bizarre form of RP on Begeren Colony server LOL) :p

Edited by Desiirea

I guess, in my opinion, General chat takes away the feel of RP... the idea of RP is being in the character. General chat covers the entire planet you are on. If I'm in the catina RPing with someone..why should someone out in the field be part of my conversation?

If I'm on the fleet near having a drink in the catina and I start using General chat..now people on Gav Daragon will see that RPing chat..the same applies to when you are on your own ship..General Chat covers everyone who is on the same type of ship..

In addition it is hard to RP in General when LFG, WTS, Guild Recruitement...etc...

Just my two cents.

Edited by Phill

I thought Ebon Hawk already had an /rp channel. Why not use it? Just /cjoin it. As far as I know it reaches server wide, per faction... as in; one faction can't see the other factions RP channel, but it's viewable on all planets if you're the right faction. Edited by ProsaicProse

If the rp calls for use of a worldwide channel then General chat is the appropriate chat channel to use.

Of course General is most often used for OOC chatter so others may express surprise but that is no reason to stifle rp.

Edited by Venarive

I once had a bounty hunter tracking me use General to broadcast a planet-wide comm wave, offering credits to anyone who could tell her where I was. We RPed for a bit in the channel as though it was just a public comm frequency - which is pretty much what I consider the channel to be - before meeting up somewhere for a SHOWDOWN.

I see no problem with RPing in public channels like that assuming it's done intelligently and in moderation. If there are people having an OOC discussion in the channel then it's kind of a dick move to start flooding their conversation with RP posts. It's also a little stupid to try RPing in General on Fleet, where you're going to be in rapid competition with OOC chatter, guild recruitment ads, PvP and Trade. But if the planet is quiet and you're cruising for RP, why not throw up an IC broadwave in General to see if you can find other RPers? Just exercise some awareness. Remember that your RP is filling other peoples' chat boxes and that might be irritating to them, so try to move things into /say sooner rather than later.

Hope you don't mind me hopping in to speak even though I'm from another RP server. :)

Samesies. Thread happened to catch my eye.

While I agree that RP should be allowed anywhere on a RP server, I can't help but roll my eyes at people who RP in the general chats, unless it's something like, "We are in need of a jedi for [such and such FP]." Then I'm a little more inclined to maybe even joining. Adds flavor.

But full on "How are you?" "*bows* I am well." etc, etc. That would sorta get on my nerves, since I do agree with another poster that General chatter breaks the immersion. That's what /rp channels are for :D

But I ain't gonna yell at people because RP happened on an RP server.

Samesies. Thread happened to catch my eye.

While I agree that RP should be allowed anywhere on a RP server, I can't help but roll my eyes at people who RP in the general chats, unless it's something like, "We are in need of a jedi for [such and such FP]." Then I'm a little more inclined to maybe even joining. Adds flavor.

But full on "How are you?" "*bows* I am well." etc, etc. That would sorta get on my nerves, since I do agree with another poster that General chatter breaks the immersion. That's what /rp channels are for :D

But I ain't gonna yell at people because RP happened on an RP server.

Yes, using General to rp as if in person is both silly and annoying to others. I merely advocate the use of General to simulate a worldwide radio channel, as per the example above of the Bounty Hunter.

Yes, using General to rp as if in person is both silly and annoying to others. I merely advocate the use of General to simulate a worldwide radio channel, as per the example above of the Bounty Hunter.

Err.. use the channel (/rp) players specifically created for this, just type:

/cjoin rp

• 3 weeks later...
In a word: no.

In my 1 word : Wrong . :p Like was said earlier , this is a "Role Playing" server type . Therefore RP can happen anywhere, anytime. If your RP message gets lost in the clutter of GC , then that is your problem for using GC for RP . Personally , I never use GC for RP messages . I either use "Say" or /e "message" , or I whisper it to the person. :)

That way my message does not get lost in the shuffle. I feel if we are taking the time & effort to RP I want it to show up where my Role Playing partner can see it and read it. The only thing RP-wise that would be a No-no is ERP, or Adult chat as I call it. If you are in a Romantic, intimate situation with another player ,for God's sake get a room (group) . I do not need to hear what you are doing and where you are sticking her Lekku at. Personally I tend to stay away from this if I can, unless it makes complete character story sense.Then even I will use the old Hollywood

trick of "He holds her, their eyes meet, they Kiss (Fade to Black) " . That way we understand that our characters had an intimate , romantic episode, but we don't waste time having to describe every thrust, tug, bite, and kiss our characters do with each other. :) For me it is just personal preference. But there again , something like that just does not belong in General Chat considering 13 yr old+ are possible players in this game. :eek:

Anyway , just my 2 credits worth. Be well people.

Strazzen / The Wright Legacy