Star Fighter Analysis: TIE Fighter

Wolfninjajedi

Yes another fighter thread, so quick to arrive right after the 1st one. But anyway, here its going to be going over the TIE fighter..the standard and most noteable fighter of the Galactic Empire.

================

"…Seinar System's [sic] basic TIE fighter—a commodity which, after hydrogen and stupidity, was the most plentiful in the galaxy…"

―Corran Horn

The TIE fighter was the standard Imperial Starfighter, used throughout most of the GCW and onward, its nickname by its pilots was "eyeballs". The design of the TIE was later used for other models, such as the TIE bomber, TIE interceptor, and TIE defender, and many other models. The engines were some of the most precsiely manufactured propulsion systems in the galaxy, and with no moving parts, it was low maintenance, it also had separate generators for its engines and weapons. With the lack of shields, life support and hyperdrive, its mass was severely reduced, thus making the TIE exceptional in maneuverability.

Its primary armament were a pair of L-s1 laser cannons which were relatively powerful and well placed hit to a fighter or medium transport could damage or destroy it. It didn't carry missile tubes, but they could be added on in upgrades if need be. The TIEs were so used by the Imperials, it became somewhat of a symbol of their might and power and being cheap to produce it reflected the Empire's philosophy of quantity over quality, and contrary to popular belief the TIEs did come with ejection seats.

The design choice in the TIE could be explained by the Empire's philosophy, viewing their starfighters and pilots as expendable even the pilots though of elite stock viewed themselves as such.

======

Schematics of a TIE fighter= http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/books/egvv/tief-eg1.gif

Roles= Space Superiority Fighter

Engines= SFS P-s4 twin ion engines and 2 SFS Pw-401 ion maneuvering jets.

Power Plant= SFS I-a2b solar ionization reactor, and secondary generator for cannons.

Shielding= None(upgrade only)

Max Acceleration: 4,100 G

Max Speed(atmosphere): 1,200 km/h

Hull= Titanium alloy hull.

Sensor/Targeting Systems= Equipped (Not wanting to put it all down. XD)

Navigation System= None.

Avionics= Yes.

Crew= 1 pilot(standard), or 1 pilot and an astromech droid(rebel modified)

Communication Systems= Equipped.

Cargo Capacity= 65 kilos

Consumables= 2 days.

=====

Thoughts: To be honest, while it is highly maneuverable and its guns powerful...it is a piece of junk. Its only better then the Z-95, which isn't saying much since the Z-95 was outdated by the time of the GCW being replaced by other fighters and only due to its speed and guns. But I guess that is what you get, when you pay for something cheap.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

its cheap and fast,,,gives a lot of bang for ur bucks

but tie pilots rarely get old,,that fact alone ,would make any experienced commander

phase the tie out ,and replace it with something more sturdy

a star destroyer would need A LOT of cloning tanks on board to replace lost pilots

not to mention the tie fighters

You need to go back and play TIE Fighter. Despite not having shielding, the TIE was more nimble than the majority of opposition fighters it came up against in the early days of the Galactic Civil War. It had an edge over X-Wings and ran circles around Z-95s, Y-Wings and later, the B-Wing.

Also it's small shape makes it remarkably difficult to hit. Albeit you only needed a few decent blasts to deal with a TIE Fighter, that in itself was a markably difficult feat to manage.

While things changed as the Rebels started to deploy A-Wings in even greater numbers, for your standard patrol duties, the TIE did its job remarkably well.

You need to go back and play TIE Fighter. Despite not having shielding, the TIE was more nimble than the majority of opposition fighters it came up against in the early days of the Galactic Civil War. It had an edge over X-Wings and ran circles around Z-95s, Y-Wings and later, the B-Wing.

Also it's small shape makes it remarkably difficult to hit. Albeit you only needed a few decent blasts to deal with a TIE Fighter, that in itself was a markably difficult feat to manage.

While things changed as the Rebels started to deploy A-Wings in even greater numbers, for your standard patrol duties, the TIE did its job remarkably well.

Thats what I pretty much covered, I said that it was highly manvuerable and had high speeds, along with its powerful weapons.

The TIE isn't the best fighter. Its more of a cannon fodder fighter. Cheap, but capable of being produced en masse. Akin to the CIS' strategy of over-whelming numbers, enough TIE fighers can over-whelm the enemy.

I prefer the TIE Interceptor or Defender in the TIE series.

The TIE isn't the best fighter. Its more of a cannon fodder fighter. Cheap, but capable of being produced en masse. Akin to the CIS' strategy of over-whelming numbers, enough TIE fighers can over-whelm the enemy.

I prefer the TIE Interceptor or Defender in the TIE series.

Ya, am thinking of doing all the TIE series with the Interceptor next after doing another ship before it.

Hmm, I used to play the old simulator games as well so I knew a lot of this. That said this is exceptional and provides a great overview of the craft.

Personally if I was an Imperial pilot and had my choice of any TIE-type ship I'd take the Defender in a heartbeat. I loved that thing in the star wars flight simulator I used to play. It was sturdy and armed to the teeth. Heck its teeth had weapon systems of their own :cool:

TIE Fighter was my favorite Flight Sim game from Lucas Arts, followed by X Wing Alliance. Playing the imperial fighters was awesome. Plus the fact that they could make a Star Wars game in which you played the Empire and didn't actually feel like you were playing as the bad guy was always incredible to me.

Anyway I would love to see more of these types of threads on the other Imperial Fighters. I have always loved the TIE Avenger and the TIE Defender. I will always say that the fact that the EU nerfs the Defender is a travesty. It is the ultimate fighter craft and the fact that the EU frequently underpowers it to make the A Wing saddens me. The draw back for the defender is the fact that there are so few. However this isn't on topic so sorry.

the TIE Fighter is a fantastic fighter that is underrated. Remember most factions aren't using X Wings and A Wings, they are using the Z95, or the R41 or other fighters which cannot compete with the TIE Fighter. Only the Rebellion had fighters that could match or surpass the TIE Fighter. By the time ships like the T Wing are getting more out there the TIE Interceptor is out making Imperial Supremacy more absolute. :D

TIE series craft are my favorite :D (in case you didn't realize :jawa_biggrin:

TIE Fighter was my favorite Flight Sim game from Lucas Arts, followed by X Wing Alliance. Playing the imperial fighters was awesome. Plus the fact that they could make a Star Wars game in which you played the Empire and didn't actually feel like you were playing as the bad guy was always incredible to me.

Anyway I would love to see more of these types of threads on the other Imperial Fighters. I have always loved the TIE Avenger and the TIE Defender. I will always say that the fact that the EU nerfs the Defender is a travesty. It is the ultimate fighter craft and the fact that the EU frequently underpowers it to make the A Wing saddens me. The draw back for the defender is the fact that there are so few. However this isn't on topic so sorry.

the TIE Fighter is a fantastic fighter that is underrated. Remember most factions aren't using X Wings and A Wings, they are using the Z95, or the R41 or other fighters which cannot compete with the TIE Fighter. Only the Rebellion had fighters that could match or surpass the TIE Fighter. By the time ships like the T Wing are getting more out there the TIE Interceptor is out making Imperial Supremacy more absolute. :D

TIE series craft are my favorite :D (in case you didn't realize :jawa_biggrin:

Would never have guessed they were. :p But ya I know, was mainly comparing them as junk to the Rebellion craft...against other factions who didn't have craft superior to the TIE then yes the TIE was the dominant fighter.

Would never have guessed they were. :p But ya I know, was mainly comparing them as junk to the Rebellion craft...against other factions who didn't have craft superior to the TIE then yes the TIE was the dominant fighter.

Yeah when talking about the X Wing, and the A Wing the TIE Fighter, and the TIE Interceptor do fall short in several ways. However once you bring in the Avenger and the Defender the Alliance fighters tend to fall short which is why I think they nerf them in the EU or tend to leave them out completely. Though I would like to see the E Wing in a flight game.

Yeah when talking about the X Wing, and the A Wing the TIE Fighter, and the TIE Interceptor do fall short in several ways. However once you bring in the Avenger and the Defender the Alliance fighters tend to fall short which is why I think they nerf them in the EU or tend to leave them out completely. Though I would like to see the E Wing in a flight game.

Mmmhm, may do the Interceptor today. Btw folks the X-wing is up now, have a look!

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=553316

Edited by Wolfninjajedi