Best way to gear out your companions?

Dabrixmgp

So finally found a class I like (Sith Sorcerer) and was wondering once I get to harder planets where Khem might get owned whats the best way to gear him out? Im thinking full level 40 pvp set would be pretty beast once I get that far. But that kinda leaves me on the short end of the stick if I use all my Commendations on him unless I do like 100 WZs a day. Should I take up Synthweaving so I can make both of us gear or is the Orange moddable PvP gear really the only way to go? Or should I just go all out on him and use whatever quest gear on myself?

I always check out the GTN for some cheap deals if possible. Seeing if you can get anything out of FPs is pretty nice too... but that can be difficult cause those higher lvl FPs can be rather difficult and its common courtesy to let those who can use the gear have it before you can get it for your companions.

Use your planet commendations early on to get as many orange pieces for him as possible, even if it isnt an upgrade right away. Then on every planet you go make sure you save some commendations to buy new mods for his armor, specifically the armoring and hilt slots as they will provide the most important upgrade.

Once you have that orange gear you don't really have to worry about finding new ones, you only have to worry about upgrading mods every few levels

I was lucky and got some cheap oranges off the market and the rest I bought level 40 pvp gear with commendations while they were still cheap and just kept them close to level in order of priority with mods (Doc got it first pick, then Kira... Scourge gets my cast offs, T7 and Rusk are a bit behind at the moment, but T7 still handled the final fight admirably)... because of all my companions having weapon, head, chest, legs, and boots of orange quality I'm pretty much set for life with them now. :D Edited by JefferyClark

can a fully tank geared companion take on world champ mobs? not talking about using him for hard mode FPs or anything like that just anything I come across while questing.

Depends on how well geared they are. My companion wears my old T2 tank gear, and can tank reasonably well.

can a fully tank geared companion take on world champ mobs? not talking about using him for hard mode FPs or anything like that just anything I come across while questing.

With ok/good gear they can, expressly true if you heal them.