Why are people missing the big points on slicing?

Jonnio

You should pick up a book about the basics of economics. Money is an exchange rate, it never has a fixed value, it's worth changes all the time. I'll take money over goods anytime if they are worth the same at that moment and I don't have immediate use for the goods (I make an exception for cake).

It's pretty stupid to pay 1000 credits for something that's worth only 600 credits. I would have kept my money :p

That's why you don't do missions to gain money, you do missions for a chance on extra goods: augments, missions. The credit return is just there to compensate for the expenses.

Again, pick up a book about money. Cos you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Money is king and money makes the world go round :D

Except in a video game world like SWTOR money does have a fixed value in the sense that; the credit sinks have fixed values, the mission rewards have fixed value, training costs have fixed values and so on. The only thing that really fluctuates is the value people are willing to pay for traded items, which can only go up the easier it is to generate currency.

In the real world I can't print more money if I'm a little short this week. In SWTOR you effectively print more money every time you loot a couple creds off a corpse (or in this case send your comps on a slicing mission).

Edited by MorgonKara

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Except in a video game world like SWTOR money does have a fixed value in the sense that; the credit sinks have fixed values, the mission rewards have fixed value, training costs have fixed values and so on. The only thing that really fluctuates is the value people are willing to pay for traded items, which can only go up the easier it is to generate currency.

In the real world I can't print more money if I'm a little short this week. In SWTOR you effectively print more money every time you loot a couple creds off a corpse (or in this case send your comps on a slicing mission).

Yeah, I'm talking about the value of the materials you get from the other gaterhing skills. You either get a material or you get money you can buy materials with, and that material market will be at the galactic market kiosks with fluctuating values in time.

not for nothing...the problem with slicing wasnt as bad as you guys make it out to be. i did slicing, scavenging, and underworld trading on my main character. i made (pre-nerf) a LOT more money with scavenging and UT than i ever did with slicing missions, and my slicing is max level, the others are much lower.

now on to the real problem. you guys are all whining about earning in a static economy. money in this economy is stupid and pointless. i'm sorry, but the real issue with the economy/crew skills/trade network still remains the same as it was in beta, and before... crafting is just as worthless in this game as it was in World of Warcraft. deep crafting and stat'ed resources would have really been beneficial in this game. without it, who gives a crap how much money you can make per hour? the economy isnt player driven, and you wont reap any more benefit by having more money than the static economy will allow.

You miss the point of slicing

Slicing was designed as a crafting skill for people who don't craft.

Basically it needs a positive return - not talking about stupid amounts for credits but it needs positive return.

I do however notice that nothing is selling on the ah now example what is the point of upgrading my orange lightsaber if a green is better.

This nerf has affected people who craft mod upgrades, and hilts. There not going to craft a lvl 19 blue to r/e it in the hope of getting a orange pastern. Why because there is no return on investment. They would no be better to just craft greens lvl to 50 and then possibly start crafting lvl 50 upgrades. But these wont sell because the vendor gear has better stats anyways.

I'm pretty sure slicing is a gathering skill. At least the slicing trainer seems to think so.

Yeah, I'm talking about the value of the materials you get from the other gaterhing skills. You either get a material or you get money you can buy materials with, and that material market will be at the galactic market kiosks with fluctuating values in time.

If by fluctuating you mean never ending inflation, then I agree with you. ;)

If by fluctuating you mean never ending inflation, then I agree with you. ;)

You should hit 50 before you start bombing everyone's post regarding slicing. Or, read the extremely informative thread that is already open.

I can 'print' MUCH more credits/hour through various other ways (space missions being a primary example) than I ever could with pre-nerf slicing.

The problem was that the level 15-35s were bragging about their excessive amount of credits, and other people got their pride injured over it because they were, essentially, poor.

You should hit 50 before you start bombing everyone's post regarding slicing. Or, read the extremely informative thread that is already open.

I can 'print' MUCH more credits/hour through various other ways (space missions being a primary example) than I ever could with pre-nerf slicing.

The problem was that the level 15-35s were bragging about their excessive amount of credits, and other people got their pride injured over it because they were, essentially, poor.

Yeah except with slicing, or any other crew skill that generates straight credits, you can do both at the same time. You could potentially have 3 companions gathering money while you run your space missions. It doesn't have anything to do with being lvl 50 or not. A crew skill that provides nothing but profit in the form of credits, that can be run in the background continuously, will inflate the economy if it's not brought in line with the rest of the game world economy.

Edited by MorgonKara

Yeah except with slicing, or any other crew skill that generates straight credits, you can do both at the same time. You could potentially have 3 companions gathering money while you run your space missions. It doesn't have anything to do with being lvl 50 or not. A crew skill that provides nothing but profit in the form of credits, that can be run continuously, will inflate the economy if it's not brought in line with the rest of the game world economy.

This is the primary reason I suggested reading that thread in the first place.

This was covered many, many times. Please educate yourself further by reading through that thread, I think you will find much of it to your liking, despite our somewhat opposing views on the subject.

Edit: I do not say this to be condescending. I say this because, as stated, it has been covered numerous times and it takes a very small amount of effort to read through it. You can even send your companions off on gathering missions while you do it ;)

Edited by Pansophist

This is the primary reason I suggested reading that thread in the first place.

This was covered many, many times. Please educate yourself further by reading through that thread, I think you will find much of it to your liking, despite our somewhat opposing views on the subject.

Edit: I do not say this to be condescending. I say this because, as stated, it has been covered numerous times and it takes a very small amount of effort to read through it. You can even send your companions off on gathering missions while you do it ;)

I doubt I would learn anything I don't already know. Crew Skills that yield credits are a bad idea.

I doubt I would learn anything I don't already know. Crew Skills that yield credits are a bad idea.

I stand corrected. Somehow I doubt you would learn anything by reading through a thread with some very well written knowledgeable pieces in there.

However, I think the reason is different than your claim to knowledge.:p

Ignorance truly is bliss.

Shut up already. I am so tired of seeing multiple threads on the same topic. Mods should combine all those slicing threads.

If slicing is not profitable or useless, then unlearn it and try other skills.

Unlike other gathering professions, you haven't lost any credits from leveling up, so just unlearn it! I am sure other people will still keep slicing.

So many whiners. Again, unlearn slicing and take biochem if biochem is so good.

Edited by kyuyu

Shut up already. I am so tired of seeing multiple threads on the same topic. Mods should combine all those slicing threads.

Unlike other gathering professions, you haven't lost any credits from leveling up, so just unlearn it! I am sure other people will still keep slicing.

They've been trying to:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=98429

The first one reached something around 170 pages, the second one is on the way there. Not sure if the community mods gave up or what, as the last two nights it was much more condensed into one thread.

Again, however, I must re-iterate that the nerf to slicing was not the problem. The lack of communication is. The nerf to slicing is just one example - you'll find many more in the BH forums (quest chain broken), the PvP forums (...many threads), etc.

Edited by Pansophist

I stand corrected. Somehow I doubt you would learn anything by reading through a thread with some very well written knowledgeable pieces in there.

However, I think the reason is different than your claim to knowledge.:p

Ignorance truly is bliss.

Doubtful. All I see is either a bunch of people complaining that they cant get easy money from sending companions on missions or people that realize that the entire concept is flawed.

Either way it's a lot of complaining about this one topic, which cannot be a good sign no matter how "knowledgeable". They could easily fix it by removing credits from the gathering skills/missions.

Edited by MorgonKara

1) The problem wasn't the amount of credits you can earn, it's that you could be a level 10-20 earning them, creating an artificial disparity where low level players were earning max level profits Based on the reported repair and skill costs at level 50, netting 200-300k in a week is peanuts and probably won't keep you afloat. As it stands post nerf slicing is likely not viable for max level characters in order to prevent the level 10s from being "rich".

2) There are very few people who used nothing but slicing to get to the often referenced 500k+ credits at level 20. I was on vacation without a computer that couldn't actually play (ran about 1.5fps), so I spent my off time doing nothing but slicing missions with 2 companions. I netted just over 280k, plus some missions that I have yet to sell...I maybe would top 500, but I doubt it as my server has a glut of missions and (do to point 4) I now plan to keep them for alts.

3) Slicing mission profits cannot be directly compared to Bioanalysis/Diplomacy/etc... The other professions each have a point, gathering mats to sell or use in crafting. The slicers aren't giving net profit after the expense of leveling a crafting profession, so you can't compare the two. The only way to truly compare would be to take a slicing mission's profit and go buy comparable level goods on the GTN or to gather and sell. In my guild we had a member doing just that with UWT and he earned more credits then I did by a pretty large margin.

4) If a lot of people drop slicing or stop running missions that is bad for everyone - the market on the rare missions will dry up and the lvl 50 augments will be unavailable. Why are the crafters rejoicing at the loss of an inexpensive stream of blue/purple missions?

Everything you wrote is correct and I do not wish for rare missions to dry up on GTN, I love them too much!!!

If you're sick of multiple threads, then ignore them...As far as this one, I was not complaining about the nerf, but rather discussing the constant misinformation that I see in all of the pre and post nerf slicing threads.