New Force Wave similar to Force Push...and I love it.

Prabhunath

I just wanted to drop into the forums here and say thank you, and give a congratulatory pat on Bioware's back for the new change to the Jedi Consular's Force Wave ability.

It was in Hutball the other day when I realized the true potential of the new Force Wave. My team was playing pretty badly (by this I mean they were playing what appeared to be a deathmatch), and the enemy was constantly trying to score goals. Suffice to say, I found myself on the defensive, and was looking for ways disrupt the enemy's play. On one occasion, the enemy was on the lower side ramps that led to the goal line, and I found myself on the raised platform next the lower side ramp.

I was near the heal buff next to the pit, and I saw the enemy ball carrier and his supporters approaching the final fire trap between him and the goal line. I looked at my available abilities and realized Force Wave was off cooldown, and out of desperation I just pressed it.

The result was as funny as it was surprising: the ball carrier and all his supporters were flung from the ramp and into the pit! It was only then did I realize the new potential of this ability.

Bioware has, in a way, taken away our old ability to push back all the enemies around (aka Force Wave pre 1.4) and given us a new ability to push all the enemies in front of us (Force Wave post 1.4), very much in the same manner a Jedi Guardian and Sith Juggernaut pushes his enemy away. The only difference here would be that the Guardian/Juggernaut gets to push away only one enemy while we get to push just about everyone in front of us.

I've always loved the Force Push ability of the Juggernaut and Guardian, and so I am now excited to have a similar ability on my Consular.

What do you guys think?

I personally think Force Wave is now a much better ability than it used to be, both in terms of how it works and its new animation.

Pushing the enemies that are in front of you rather than everyone around you makes much more sense and can be used in more situations without having to worry about breaking CCs, compared to how it originally worked.

And as for the animation, it is also way better than it used to be. Sorcerers' Overload was a pretty cool looking animation, but the Force Wave...let's just say the first time I saw it, it made me laugh. It didn't "feel" as powerful as it was supposed to be. And it does kinda look like Force Push :p

Now if they could make a similar animation change to FiB, I'd be happy.

Edited by TheNahash

That it's horrible.

And I like how everyone is using Huttball as their example. Try VS instead, where you don't have cover and elevation, and see how far it gets you. As a sorc/sage you'll get swarmed at all times and there's no way of getting them off you with a cone.

The result was as funny as it was surprising: the ball carrier and all his supporters were flung from the ramp and into the pit! It was only then did I realize the new potential of this ability.

You do know that Force Wave could do that before, right? Only now you're limited to facing one direction.. and usually they're buffed so that it doesn't even move them.

Edited by TaylaEwa

You do know that Force Wave could do that before, right? Only now you're limited to facing one direction.. and usually they're buffed so that it doesn't even move them.

http://imgur.com/7D1Pl

Look at the link above, I was at position X, and I pushed the enemy on the platform at position Y.

I wasn't aware that you could push people off the ramp as a consular / inquisitor if you weren't on the ramp yourself (in their midst). I may be wrong, cause I only started playing my shadow not too long ago (currently only level 40), but I believe the range of the previous Force Wave was too short to do what I am able to do now.

That it's horrible.

And I like how everyone is using Huttball as their example. Try VS instead, where you don't have cover and elevation, and see how far it gets you. As a sorc/sage you'll get swarmed at all times and there's no way of getting them off you with a cone.

Strafe 4 steps back, Force Push. Better result than before as all pushed in one direction so now you can flee in the opposite rather than still being surrounded on all sides.

Yeah I don't know why people prefer the old 360 effect as opposed to the new cone. First of all, let's say you are surrounded on all sides, the 360 push back gets them off of you for like a total 3 secs then they are right back on you, and it was limited to a very small radius. In my opinion, it was not very useful, except to give you a few secs breathing room. At least with the cone, it has a vastly increased range, so in cases like huttball, it can be used at a greater distance to push people off rafters or into acid, and is Voidstar or Civil War it is an awesome interrupt for when people are trying to cap. It is so much more useful now.

Not to mention it is zero force cost , instant cast, and can be directed so as not to break a CC. I have seen an increase is damage it does to. I am doing damage from 800-1k damage to everything in the cone. In addition, with the increased range it makes it easier to knock the trash off the tank or healer.

Don’t get me wrong there are times when the 360 would be nice.

I personally feel that with it being a zero force cost, able to direct it, increased damage, and instant cast.

Lost one aspect and gained four.

I don't care for the new force wave either.

Timing was never a problem. The direction I pushed someone was never an issue. The range was never a problem and since BW didn't increase the distance force wave actually moved someone its only real benefit we got was being able to hit someone farther away from you.

That however, doesn't make up for the loss of a 360 degree affect.

Overall, It's a terrible change and I'd go back to the old one if it was at all possible.

Edited by Quraswren

Reducing from 360 to a cone is a huge nerf. Huge. Anyone that cant see it and is actually happy about it puzzles me...

Because it gives people what they did not have, control of the direction that is HUGE how can someone not see this puzzles me as well.

Think what to do with this in both PVE and PVP :)

Because it gives people what they did not have, control of the direction that is HUGE how can someone not see this puzzles me as well.

Think what to do with this in both PVE and PVP :)

Like push 1-2 of the 4-5 mobs away from you...particularly your elite target?

If I use it...I want *everything* off of me...sure it has situational uses...but the old one had FAR more utility in general.

• 2 weeks later...