Character Recustomization

althene

I flipped back a couple pages, but didn't see any thread titles suggesting something similar, so I thought I'd touch on it or at least dig it out of the back of the closet.

Character Recustomization?

It really needs to happen. Now that it's easier than ever to unlock races with cartel coins, it would be nice to be able to go back and really do what you wanted to during character creation, but didn't have the tools to do it unlocked yet.

I'm all for restarting a class just to do things better. Not that I make it a habit, but this is a hobby more than a way of life for me, so I don't mind spending the time to start over. Especially when there really are only 4 stories and playing through them gets faster the more you do it. But not every (many) of the player community feel this way, especially the newly acquired f2p crowd we have. It's especially unfair to them since they only have 2 character slots on the account total. They can buy your coins to open up a race, but then they have to sacrifice their only other slot to take advantage of the character creation options, even if they bought the unlock for the race they're currently playing.

Throw us all a bone here, BW. Give us a vendor, on each respective fleet perhaps, that will allow us to recustimize our character. I'm not asking for an AC swap or a race change (although race does nothing from a gameplay standpoint in this game). I just want to be able to swap out the old busted bionics for the new hotness once I unlock the cyborg race or something similar. I'm not even asking for a body type swap. Just the cosmetics. Maybe a new hairdo. The new swanky bionic eye that I mentioned. Maybe get a new tattoo or have one removed. Charge us credits for it. One more money sink can't be all that bad, right? Hell, I'd even be ok with a (SMALL) cost in cartel coins. You could even make it into a legacy item for player ships just like the GTN, mailbox and repair droid. You could even make it a function OF the repair droid (he dabbles in facial reconstruction on the side).

Please, BioWare... You're our only hope.

EDIT: so this thread has (thankfully) gathered a bit of momentum and a few suggestions have poped up that I hadn't taken into consideration when I originally posted it. So with that in mind, I'm going to simply provide a list of suggestions here. Call it an overall thread TL;DR for the attention deficit crowd.

- Legacy customization droid similar to the repair droid to recustomize your character at will or with possible credits

- "Barber shops" for players to spend credits for minor cosmetic changes

- Cartel store full recustomization option with possible name change (not legacy name)

- Cartel store race/gender/name change only option

- Cartel store Legacy name change (not really a fan of this one, but provided for completion)

- Vastly upgraded or revamped character creation tools with more range of features and options (CoH anyone?)

- Character faction change (possibly considerably more complex with having to change ships, story arcs, etc. Maybe causing all story flags, skill points, etc, to be reset. Would need to lock AC to cross faction mirror class, however. Provided for completion.)

- Character "respec" token available from the cartel store with limited uses. Perhaps legacy bound on use. Perhaps multiple purchases available. Total scope of the respec yet to be determined, but possibly up to and including name, gender, species, etc. (Provided for completion)

More added as and when the need arises.

P.S.: Woot! Thanx for the 5 star rating guys! Your posts and support keep this thread alive.

Edited by althene

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm honestly not sure what's on their to do list right now, but I'm sure there are several threads around here that will enlighten me to the fact. But that's not really the point. I can't see it being very high priority, but one of the teams they've got could be (have been) working on this on the side and have it out in relatively short order. It doesn't seem like a complex thing to do.

I'd also like to officially add name change to character recustomization. Make it a paid option through the cartel shop or something, but this needs t happen.

Manginathered, while valid as a name, may not be what you want to continue with once you're level 50 and have 120+ hours invested in your character. Would be a whole lot better if you could just drop a dime a rename him Bob without having to reinvest that 120+ hours to remake your character and get back to where you were in progress.

Vote +1

Yes character re-customization must happen! i'v done plenty of re-rolls cus i did not like the body type or gender after 30-50 levels, you know i'm all for the looks of the characters if armor does not look "right" on a char i'm known to delete it and redo it whit different race or gender.

could be an cartel unlock or legacy unlock or even a simple vendor at the Fleet that sells it! BUT by god make this happen bioware, do it even if you have to pull out a dev from its current project :D give him a raise and make him work double time :D

I definitely support a Cartel Coin based recustomization option, both for appearance and for names. I'm kicking myself repeatedly for not taking the time to think through what I wanted to rename my Jedi Shadow when I was forced to after server consolidation, and now every time I log in with her I just get mad at myself.

Tying it to Cartel Coins makes it an option that people will have to pay extra for and it can help keep players happy, both F2P and subs. Because I really need to fix that Shadow's name!

I'm not even concerned with how they impliment this as I just want to see ANYTHING happen, but I do have a couple ideas.

- Let players of any type use cartel coins for fully redo their character appearance, including race, body size, etc.

- Have a shop on fleet that does "hair and makeup" and charges credits. Make it reasonable. Players can't change their race or body type, but hair, complexion, jewelry and makeup are all fair game.

- Have a legacy unlock to put a character customization droid on player ships. Make it one of those swanky looking medic droids and stash him in the med bay. He does hair, makeup, and all types of surgery regardless of legality and safety. He also might be a former Nar Shadaa criminal underworld doctor and be programmed to forge you a new set of credentials (name change). Let players use cartel coins or credits to unlock and make it on par with the GTN, mailbox and repair droid perks.

- Simply allow a player to pay for cartel coins to "remake" their character (sans class changes) and give subscribers an additional option under account options

Ideally, I'd like to see all aspects presented here implemented, but I'd settle with the last one. Make this happen BW!

I'm not even concerned with how they impliment this as I just want to see ANYTHING happen, but I do have a couple ideas.

- Let players of any type use cartel coins for fully redo their character appearance, including race, body size, etc.

- Have a shop on fleet that does "hair and makeup" and charges credits. Make it reasonable. Players can't change their race or body type, but hair, complexion, jewelry and makeup are all fair game.

- Have a legacy unlock to put a character customization droid on player ships. Make it one of those swanky looking medic droids and stash him in the med bay. He does hair, makeup, and all types of surgery regardless of legality and safety. He also might be a former Nar Shadaa criminal underworld doctor and be programmed to forge you a new set of credentials (name change). Let players use cartel coins or credits to unlock and make it on par with the GTN, mailbox and repair droid perks.

- Simply allow a player to pay for cartel coins to "remake" their character (sans class changes) and give subscribers an additional option under account options

Ideally, I'd like to see all aspects presented here implemented, but I'd settle with the last one. Make this happen BW!

including race: Yes ok but i can see some flaws here, for one the legacy race unlocks, easy way to get a race unlocked if you keep paying and changing your lv50 race now is it! So i would suggest you can change your race BUT ONLY to a race you already have unlocked in legacy! or simply don't allow that race to be unlocked if char is lv50. cus people will abuse that fact if its cheaper to change race then to pay 1.5mill credits.

not sure about you guys but 1.5mill is lots of credits for me :D just saying.

Edited by Noxsabe

including race: Yes ok but i can see some flaws here, for one the legacy race unlocks, easy way to get a race unlocked if you keep paying and changing your lv50 race now is it! So i would suggest you can change your race BUT ONLY to a race you already have unlocked in legacy! or simply don't allow that race to be unlocked if char is lv50. cus people will abuse that fact if its cheaper to change race then to pay 1.5mill credits.

not sure about you guys but 1.5mill is lots of credits for me :D just saying.

You can already pay CC or credits to unlock a race, so I can't see it as especially game breaking. Moreover, the cost of the GTN and repair droid greatly exceed the cost if simply unlocking the race anyway if my memory serves me. I think the GTN is 2 million credits or more while it's ony 1 or 1.5 mil for a race. I do see your point, however, so I would agree to the stipulation that race changes be limited by what you already have unlocked.

You can already pay CC or credits to unlock a race, so I can't see it as especially game breaking. Moreover, the cost of the GTN and repair droid greatly exceed the cost if simply unlocking the race anyway if my memory serves me. I think the GTN is 2 million credits or more while it's ony 1 or 1.5 mil for a race. I do see your point, however, so I would agree to the stipulation that race changes be limited by what you already have unlocked.

I am very interested in this. I've re-rolled many times because I didn't like my toon's cosmetics.

I am very interested in this. I've re-rolled many times because I didn't like my toon's cosmetics.

One of the problems there is that they're not all available when you start a character unless you've unlocked that race by hitting level 50 (or burning credits/CC). There are settings for republic and empire players on some races. This further exacerbates the problem since, now that you have more options to choose from in character creation, you have to start all over again since you can't reshape your character.

I too, want to see this in game since many months now. I support this thread. Want to do some changes in my rattataki sith sorc healer, and my human trooper healer XD. Since we talking about apperances, I want to see force use hood armor with long sleeves, the cowboy hat of the smuggler in title video: RETURN, in cinematics (without the thing that goes around your head, in a hat they got now and look... ewww. Also that very long cape he wears (isn't cape the right word?). It whould be nice hood armors with leather texture. Hair option for Rattataki race too, whould be nice in white, very light blueish colors maybe. I whouldn't mind more options in character creation as well, in body (be able to customize specific body areas for example). That's all for now Edited by JediManos

I too, want to see this in game since many months now. I support this thread. Want to do some changes in my rattataki sith sorc healer, and my human trooper healer XD. Since we talking about apperances, I want to see force use hood armor with long sleeves, the cowboy hat of the smuggler in title video: RETURN, in cinematics (without the thing that goes around your head, in a hat they got now and look... ewww. Also that very long cape he wears (isn't cape the right word?). It whould be nice hood armors with leather texture. Hair option for Rattataki race too, whould be nice in white, very light blueish colors maybe. I whouldn't mind more options in character creation as well, in body (be able to customize specific body areas for example). That's all for now

Thanx for the support, but, wow. Formatting, love. Formatting.

I think you can get the hat through PvP on the republic side. It's medium armor and MIGHT even be a part of the recruit set. I'm not sure as I haven't had the patience to deal with the cover mechanic for more than 25 levels.

The "long cape" you're looking for is a trenchcoat or duster and I believe these are also available through the PvP vendors. There are also a couple that armormechs can make, so you might hit one up and go through his list.

Finally, I don't think the Rattataki have hair, sadly. It's part of what makes up the race fluff, sorry

Paid race or cosmetic changes are basically printing money, if they've got the technology to do it. Be a bit more difficult to make it a cartel market thing, though, as all the cash shop purchases are applied in-game.

They would have to make it so that you bought the thing and then had to log out to the character screen to enter the customization mode if they were to do it in the cartel store. I don't know that it would be all THAT complex as they have something similar for name changes, but I'm not a programmer, so I don't know.

Indeed. A feature that needs to exist.

As far as changing legacy or character name, that should be a paid micro transaction, or maybe now have it be cartel coins?

I think a legacy name change is purely cartel coin territory. That's basically wiping out your character from a social standpoint (unless you never EVER displayed your legacy name to anyone). That said, the Humpitybutt legacy isn't all that heroic and I cold see someone wanting to put some more thought into it. But, realistically, changing a character name isn't that monumental. Sure, it might wipe you off of several peoples friends list (although they could impliment it in such a way that it would automatically change your name in their lists), but you're likely going to inform the people you keep in contact with and your guild members fairly soon once it's done anyway.

Edited by althene

Yes please. Cartel Shop shouldn't have been released without it.

Also, in case no one has suggested it but make the process have a preview window for it. Do it right this time as well and include a button to show dark side corruption. Unfortunately you all half arsed the new preview window for gear and failed to include a color unify button...

Yes please. Cartel Shop shouldn't have been released without it.

Also, in case no one has suggested it but make the process have a preview window for it. Do it right this time as well and include a button to show dark side corruption. Unfortunately you all half arsed the new preview window for gear and failed to include a color unify button...

I believe the only way you could do character recustomization (aside from hair/makeup/tattoos/etc.) would be to pay for it, then log out to the character select screen whereby you would be given the option to recustomization your character (not to beat a dead horse here, but WoW really nailed this).