Stormcaller lightning pillar mechanic

So yesterday was my guild's second attempt on this boss, and we've encountered this: almost every time when it was about to use Defensive Systems, it would start dropping lightning pillars on top of people that were standing on the tank platform. And when I say 'about to', I mean before the knockback, before the channeling gauge would appear, sometimes even while the second Double Destruction was still in the middle of it's channeling (!!!). The first time we fought it, it did nothing of this sort. I've looked over some youtube videos, and found both cases of the supposed correct and incorrect pillar dropping. So I'm wondering, is it random, a bug, or is there a mechanic that makes it happen that we managed to avoid the first time we fought it?

Our fight:

More broken pillars:

Not broken pillars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLPRzt2jPGY

There will always be one that drops right before/during Defensive Systems cast. It can drop on the Stormcaller tank (player, not boss) and whoever is at ranged. I've never seen it drop on the melee/healer group. If you're having issues with double destruction right before defensive systems and your soakers are getting gibbed by the shield, you can try to push the dps to only get one double destruction between defensive systems. If you can't manage that, you can either wait to push defensive systems (not something I would do because of enrage, if you really can't push DS faster). Or just have your soakers pay really close attention to where they are and avoid any excess damage since the phase is extra hard on healers with DD up on 2 targets.

Good luck.