Should I roll a Merc?

Caspira

I'm considering rolling a Mercenary, but I mostly PvP only. That being said, I've heard some negative things about Merc in PvP, but I'm also fairly optimistic that it's possible. I hear it's kickass in PvE, but I'm not really that a PvE player. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Would I just stick to healing? Is the healing spec even good in PvP? Or could I damage in PvP too? What's wrong with the Merc class that makes so many people complain about it in PvP?

It's not really viable in PvP, well... Arsenal anyways. Your attacks are mainly focused on one skill: Tracer Missile, which is a cast, which means one interrupt will screw you up pretty bad. The only way I can see it being viable is if you take on the role of a flanking opportunist; catch enemies unaware, backup your teammates, etc.

You will have a fine time with your Merc dps in sub 50 PvP. If you have a high enough skill level you will initially have an OK time in lev 50 PvP. But Merc dps is the worst subclass in the game for PvP. Hands down. It's like running a 5k race while carrying a 25 lbs weight strapped to your chest. If you are a good enough runner you can still beat a lot of people.

It all depends on your attitude. If you are happy losing to players to the same skill level, and beating only those with lower skill levels, then Merc dps is viable.

It all depends on your attitude. If you are happy losing to players to the same skill level, and beating only those with lower skill levels, then Merc dps is viable.

This is what it pretty much breaks down to. If both you and your opponent are at a high skill level, all things being equal, you're going to lose and there's nothing you can do about it (in most cases). If you're okay with that, then the class can be a blast.