Desktop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend has a GeForce GTX 550 Ti, would that work?

My comp has a standard power supply which is 480W, the GeForce GTX 550 has a minimum 400w, and a max 500w, should 480w be ok?

Edited by Tyrale

My friend has a GeForce GTX 550 Ti, would that work?

My comp has a standard power supply which is 480W, the GeForce GTX 550 has a minimum 400w, and a max 500w, should 480w be ok?

When you say your friend has one do you mean you will be getting it off him? If not and you're buying a new card the 460 is more powerful and would be the better buy.

As for power, it depends on what PSU you have. If it's a good one then you should be fine, if not then you won't, even though it says 480 on it you liekly wont even get 400 out of it if it's crap.

Hello all,

First off, thank you Veilshatter for using your expertise to help everyone.

I'm hoping you can help me.

I have a Dell XPS M1730

Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 CPU

4GB of RAM

Dual Nvidia 8700M GT (256MB each)

128MB Ageia Physx PPU

Running Windows 7 64bit

I believe I meet the minimum system requirements and I have played the game at 30+ FPS on more than one Occasion. I played during testing and it was playable one day and not the next (fps dropped to 10fps or less). I of course have settings set at their lowest. I don't expect to play the game on high or even medium. This same thing happened during Beta testing. I went on vacation for a month. Got back January and played January 6th and 7th with no issues. I made no changes to my system but when I woke up to play on the 8th it was not playable. I have since tried everything I can think of to fix it and I have been unsuccessful.

I would appreciate any help you or anyone can offer.

Thanks so much and sorry for the rambling post.

I know there are already a lot of topics about the gt540m, but as the fps rates seem to differ pretty strong, I dont know, if the game should be actually playable or not.

Right now Im running SWTOR on a Acer Aspire 5750G

Intel I5-2410M

Geforce GT540M 1gb

4gb ddr

Windows 7 Professional

On all settings Low I never experience FPS higher than 20-30. Is that normal or has anyone else better perfomance rates?

Cheers

Edit: I should probably mention, that I couldnt really notice a difference between a 24" extern Monitor with 1920*1080 to the normal 15" Laptop Screen on Max Solution.

Edited by Alteregoo

OK THIS IS CRAP. i PAID A LOT OF MONEY TO GET A SUPER COMPUTER, I PAY MONEY EVERY MONTH TO MY INTERNET PROVIDER AND I PAID A LOT OF MONEY TO BUY STAR WARS. WHY SHOULD I ENDURE ALL THIS? YOUTUBE VIDEOS, TIPS, LOW GRAPHICS ETC. WHY? WHY DONT U PEOPLE JUST GET ANGRY AND DEMAND A SOLUTION BY THE DEVELOPERS AND INSTEAD YOU TRY TO FIX THIS BY LOWERING YOUR GRAPHICS AND EXPECTATIONS? EITHER THEY FIX THIS EITHER YOUTUBE WILL BE SPAMED WITH FRASTRATING COMMENTS SO THAT EVERYONE CAN SEE!

Hello all,

First off, thank you Veilshatter for using your expertise to help everyone.

I'm hoping you can help me.

I have a Dell XPS M1730

Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 CPU

4GB of RAM

Dual Nvidia 8700M GT (256MB each)

128MB Ageia Physx PPU

Running Windows 7 64bit

I believe I meet the minimum system requirements and I have played the game at 30+ FPS on more than one Occasion. I played during testing and it was playable one day and not the next (fps dropped to 10fps or less). I of course have settings set at their lowest. I don't expect to play the game on high or even medium. This same thing happened during Beta testing. I went on vacation for a month. Got back January and played January 6th and 7th with no issues. I made no changes to my system but when I woke up to play on the 8th it was not playable. I have since tried everything I can think of to fix it and I have been unsuccessful.

I would appreciate any help you or anyone can offer.

Thanks so much and sorry for the rambling post.

something had to change. maybe your PSU is going out or you are overheating. did you download anything ? Did you make any changes in your SWTOR settings folder?

running anything in the background?

try having fraps up or windows media up it works for some people :confused:

Hmmm i got a feeling that my cpu is obsolete.

CPU: Intel Pentium4 3.4 ghz

RAM: 8gb ddr2

Graphiccard: Gainward GTS 250 1gb

Mainboard: Abit Fatality FP-IN9 SLi

If i turn the graphics down to low and shadows off, it runs just fine at were u start with your new character, but at higher lvl places it starts to lagg alot. Especially at imperial fleet (but hey i bet its rly crowded to).

My mainboard can handle Core 2 Quad and Core 2 Duo, but is it worth spending money for a CPU for socket 775 and will the game run better with the other stuff i alrdy have in my comp?

I have a PC and a Laptop.

The Laptop has an i5 and the PC quad core.

What I have noticed is the load times, and I think the problems are simple.

1. My PC has 8GB of Memory where as the laptop has 2GB and of course the laptop runs 32bit software where as the PC 64.

2. I have Raptors in the PC and the lappy just has crap old slow disk

I think if you improve IO and memory performance the game will work well

ok so i dont know a ton about computer hardware

i know im running an intel core i3 550 and an ATI radeon 5450 all in a cheap prebuilt machine from over a year ago

when i inquired about upgrading in my own thread here i was told to upgrade to a intel core i5 650 and a Geforce Gtx550

now i understand the GPU upgrade, however i did some looking into comparing the i3 550 and the i5 650 and they look nearly identical

is it worth the $200 to upgrade the PCU or should i put that into a better GPU and maybe come ram, and a new razer keyboard?

Now i am ONLY looking to play SWTOR on MAX settings in every possible way. i doubt i will be playing other games on here, and if i do want to in the future ill upgrade again or buy a whole new rig

any suggesting on getting the most out of this game?

Edited by RaveApex

Hello.

my PC is:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+

CPU Speed: 2.6 GHz

2 GB RAM DDR2

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB memory

Playing SWTOR atm at minimum graphic settings, but i have problems with the fps when im doing Warzones(not only there) for example (in crowded places with many ppl)

I dont understand much of hardware so im asking you guys which of those pc parts are with the priority to upgrade first so i can play the game a little bit smoothly in crowded places

Edited by Neltharaku

OK THIS IS CRAP. i PAID A LOT OF MONEY TO GET A SUPER COMPUTER, I PAY MONEY EVERY MONTH TO MY INTERNET PROVIDER AND I PAID A LOT OF MONEY TO BUY STAR WARS. WHY SHOULD I ENDURE ALL THIS? YOUTUBE VIDEOS, TIPS, LOW GRAPHICS ETC. WHY? WHY DONT U PEOPLE JUST GET ANGRY AND DEMAND A SOLUTION BY THE DEVELOPERS AND INSTEAD YOU TRY TO FIX THIS BY LOWERING YOUR GRAPHICS AND EXPECTATIONS? EITHER THEY FIX THIS EITHER YOUTUBE WILL BE SPAMED WITH FRASTRATING COMMENTS SO THAT EVERYONE CAN SEE!

Or you can figure out what your problem is. They can't cater to each computer owned by the 1 million+ people playing the game. They released general specs. If you meet those specs or exceed those specs, you can play.

I have an AMD FX-4100 Quad Core @ 3.6Ghz

8GB Ram

AMD Radeon 6670 HD 1GB

And I run all settings on high with no lag in framerate whatsoever. No problems here.

Hello.

my PC is:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+

CPU Speed: 2.6 GHz

2.00 GB of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB memory

Playing SWTOR atm at minimum graphic settings, but i have problems with the fps when im doing Warzones(not only there) for example (in crowded places with many ppl)

I dont understand much of hardware so im asking you guys which of those pc parts are with the priority to upgrade first so i can play the game a little bit smoothly in crowded places

Start with Ram, its cheap. Get to about 4GB. Then work on the graphics card. I'd recommend AMD 6670. Then work on processor. You should be able to scrounge up this kinda money in 6 months as it shouldn't be more than 300.

if you want nvidia vga card make sure you get one of those with "Ti" version.

ordered an intel core i5 2500K, a Geforce Gtx550 Ti, 8GB of ram (will be an up from 4) and a new PSU :)

then this summer will be a SSD, and a razer keyboard to go with my Naga mouse and SWOTR razer headset :)

Hi.

I am currently running:

Intel I5 2500 CPU

GT430 GPU

8GB Ram

I was looking into upgrading the GPU to maybe a GTX550ti, my PSU is currently a Winpower 550Watt.

My question is will the PSU be compatible with and be able to handle the GTX550ti?

If not can you recommend a new one?

Hi.

I am currently running:

Intel I5 2500 CPU

GT430 GPU

8GB Ram

I was looking into upgrading the GPU to maybe a GTX550ti, my PSU is currently a Winpower 550Watt.

My question is will the PSU be compatible with and be able to handle the GTX550ti?

im no expert however i did about 2 days of looking into it lol

ur processor is really good and will handel the GTX550ti well

atleast i hope so as i just bought the 2 at the same time :p

im not sure on the power consumption though, you may want to check if your PSU will handel it, i just bought a 650watt and was told as long as im not using 2 powerful video cards and lots of extra junk then ill never even need that much

I am currently using an ATI Radeon 3450 and looking to upgrade to oen that will run the game better. I have a 350w psu, Intel® Core 2 Quad CPU, Q660 @ 2.40GHz, 3gb of ram, motherboard is the dell vostro 410 model 0J584C A00. Graphics interface is PCI-Express link width X16. My type of memory is DDR2. I don't know if anyone will be able to help but any advice or information would be helpful. I'm hoping to be able to play the game without lag don't care about high settings just decent graphics and lag free. Thank you all for taking the time to look at this and if there's something else needed in order to help please let me know

This Thread isnt for angry kids who want to rage.

something had to change. maybe your PSU is going out or you are overheating. did you download anything ? Did you make any changes in your SWTOR settings folder?

running anything in the background?

try having fraps up or windows media up it works for some people :confused:

Can you give some more info on what problems your experiencing not limited to the game. (I.E. Shutting down, restarting, or ETC.)

i am finishing up my gaming rig and am down to the video card choice...

so far i have

i7 2700k OC to ~4Ghz

16gb ddr3 1866

120gb ssd/2tb hdd

z68 mobo

and other random things in the case, i will be running hdmi out to my monitor

my question is this, i always used nvidia and never had an issue from eq to wow to rift, your opinion , what would be better a Nvidia GTX 570 2560MB 320bit or a AMD 6950 2GB 256bit

im sure both cards would run swtor beautifully but with a $280 price point(AMD) vs a $395 price point(nvidia) would it make that much more of a difference graphically to get the more expensive card?

thx for your input gang

i'm loving my hd6950 2gb... its a reference from MSI and i was able to unlock the shaders. With my OC and unlocked shaders, it outperforms a stock hd6970... if you can find an unlockable one, they should be relatively cheap now that the 7970 and with the 7950 right around the corner, they should go down even more.

Hey guys, I just got my comp back for repairs, apparently my computers graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 5450) is garbage and will not run this game as it loads it and then immediately exits after the loading screen.

I'll give you some specs on my comp, maybe you guys can recommend me a decent graphics card between 100-150$ price ranger, I'm looking on tigerdirect and I see a few.

Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz ( 4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, build 7601)

Approx. Total Memory: 2227 MB

DAC Type: Internal DAC (400MHz)

If there is anything else you need to look at, let me know.

I was looking at a couple of Graphics cards, if you could point toward one, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Here's some I was looking at: GeForce GTS 450, and GeForce GTS 550. I've noticed there is 2 or 3 variations of these Video cards, can you tell me what I should look for? Thanks!

Stay away from GTS look at GTX perferably GTX 460 1GB good little card for the money

Hi.

I am currently running:

Intel I5 2500 CPU

GT430 GPU

8GB Ram

Your PSU sould be sufficient for it