Spoils of War Livestream Recap

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Here is a recap of everything we talked about on the livestream today. We will be posting a robust blog with the same information in the next few days. Keep in mind that all of this is still in development so is subject to change. Here goes!

Communication and Feedback

• Our plan for Onslaught communication is to follow this cycle. Deliver information (stream, blogs, etc), gather your feedback, circle back to discuss that feedback with you, move into hands-on on PTS.

Itemization is split up into two primary categories, the items themselves, and how you acquire them. We will break those out individually.

Items

There are two major types of items we want to talk about (sets and tactical items) and a new bonus stat that those items will receive (Amplifiers). Let's break each down.

• Set Bonuses
    • In combination with tactical items can be playstyle defining
    • Multiple new sets for Advanced and Base Classes
    • General options also available
    • Sets now come in various sizes

[*]Tacticals

• In combination with set bonuses can be playstyle defining
    • Multiple options for Disciplines and Advanced Classes
    • Rare item in a new item slot

[*]Example Effects that could be found on these items for....

• Inquisitor - The cooldown of Whirlwind is reduced, also, killing an enemy before Whirlwind ends resets the cooldown of Whirlwind
    • Sorcerer - Activating Unnatural Preservation removes Static Barrier's Deionize effect from you
    • Assassin - Force Shroud also applies to any ally you are guarding
    • Lightning Sorc - Crushing Darkness’s damage over time is increased and the chance that Forked Darkness causes Crushing Darkness to double-tick is improved
    • Madness Sorc - Death Field does more damage to all targets and spreads Force Slows effects
    • Corruption Sorc - Revivification heals more for each ally it affects

[*]Amplifiers

• New Bonus stat that will appear on Shells, Armorings, Hilts, Barrels, Mods, and Enhancements
    • Not included in PvP balance targets
    • Effects appear on specific mod types (ex: Shells and Armorings have different types of Amps)
    • Examples: Armor penetration, increased healing received, better harvesting results, increased XP
    • Amps can be rerolled (recalibrated) for credits.

PvP Impact

Here is how all of this will impact PvP in Onslaught.

• All players will be bolstered to maximum item rating while in PvP.
  • Only tactical items, set bonuses, and amplifiers impact PvP.
  • Players can earn tacticals and sets from ranked and unranked.

Item Acquisition

Now that you know what the items are, one of the things that is very important in spoils of war is ensuring that acquiring items is also a good experience! We wanted to learn from the lessons of Galactic Command's launch, frustration around Ossus gearing, and adding on the things we have done well. Ultimately, getting loot is a loop that all starts with...

Play Your Way

• All content is a viable path to getting gear with harder content being more rewarding.
  • Drops now scale based on your characters current gear. At a certain item rating breakpoint is when sets and tacticals start dropping.
  • There is built in RNG protection on set and tactical items.
  • New items can now be freely moved through your Legacy.

Galactic Command and Conquests

• Both of these systems are supplementary (not primary) ways to gear your character.
  • Galactic Command is now Galactic Renown.
  • Every rank is now valuable, no more tiers.
  • Renown is now seasonal, beginning with Onslaught.
  • Renown crate rewards scale based on your current item rating.
  • Renown XP is derived from a percentage of all XP earned (including the current CXP perks)
  • Conquest Points are also earned from a percentage of all XP earned (this is coming in 5.10.3)
  • Gear is now also delivered in Personal and Guild Conquest Rewards

With all of this you will be getting much more gear than before which certainly means you will not want some of it. What do you do with it?

Deconstruction

• New interface where players will now be able to deconstruct unwanted items (reverse engineering will have an advantage here). Can breakdown items quickly by quality.
  • Items breakdown into crafting materials and a new currency.

Crafting and New Vendors

• Crafters will be able to make competitive end-game gear (to continue the trend of play your way).
  • Crafters can make un-moddable max item rating gear and mods. They will have some min/maxing drawbacks.
  • Crafters will be able to make crafted only tactical items.
  • New currency can be used on a vendor to allow you to purchase a random item of a specific slot (chest pieces, etc).
  • New currency can be used on a vendor who appears regularly has a changing selection of specific set and tactical items (to purchase exactly what you want).

There is a lot of information here. We definitely recommend watching the VOD to see our full conversation around spoils of war. Also, look for the spoils of war blog in the next few days with a more in-depth snapshot of this information. Look for our relevant feedback threads on the forums to let us know your thoughts, where we will also answer any questions. We are going to work on doing a Reddit Spoils of War AMAA if you prefer to use Reddit. And lastly we are working on getting a survey setup to get your thoughts there as well.

We are really excited about bringing spoils of war to you in Onslaught, so let us know your thoughts!

-eric

Edited by DanielSteed

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I loved the stream. It felt you guys had both excitement and passion for it this time around, ESPECIALLY in comparison to the stream that your colleagues on the Anthem team had just an hour beforehand.

Here's some things I'd like to chime in on.

• I think it is a really bad idea to go back to having set bonuses on shells. This is quite a step back from what you guys learned years ago and it's especially not something a lot of players want to see change after being used to it for so long. I have two tabs in my legacy cargo dedicated to various legacy sets with the set bonuses. I want to keep using that. I actually went out of my way to farm the Conquered Exarch sets for this. I get that you want to make gearing easier by making all the new stuff BtL, but let's just be easy about this: Don't try to reinvent the wheel here. Leave the bonuses on the armorings and that's that.

• The restructuring from Galactic Command to Galactic Renown needs a bit more clarification for me. What about all the stuff outside of gear that the command crates have been dropping so far? Will we still see Renown drop cosmetic armor sets, weapon shells, speeders and the like? Will the pool be the same, will it be different, will there be more sets coming in there? I know there was a Tier 5 planned with more cosmetic stuff in there we never got, so I'm still kind of hopeful to see that. Likewise, will Renown now go past Rank 300? Will it be like Guild Levels and just go on forever?

• While earning Renown XP from everything is cool, I just gotta ask: Is there anything going to happen with the Legacy system? New perks, anything? Would be nice if we finally got something new. We've been at level 50 for almost 8 years now.

• Getting gear drops based off item rating can be somewhat dangerous. What about players who aren't always wearing their most powerful gear? Like, I know a lot of people who will try to cheese the Group Finder by de-equipping a piece of armor before queueing in order to avoid Umbara, Copero and Nathema from popping.

Edited by BenKatarn

Personally, while I love everything you guys are doing, I would like it if you guys took a look at some older things. I personally love Zabraks and Mirialans, so I think that for us cosmetic and RP folks, adding new stuff like Tattoos and Hairstyles would be a good step in the right direction. I don't know if anything is in the works, but I feel like some physical cosmetics for species that have been around since launch are just not receiving alot of love. Hell, Zabraks didn't event get the new Hairstyle from The Nathema Conspiracy!

Thank you for the recap! I really don't understand most of this.

Since tiers are going away, what will happen with the achievement for getting all classes to Tier 300? Will our characters get to keep that title and the tier flares? If we have paid the 2 million credits to give our characters levelling up the stacking CXP bonus, what happens with it?

Hi, I would like to quote chat from the livestream

Keith Kanneg, Lead Producer: Did you find the information in this stream useful?

Chat:

YES

YES

thanks guys!

YES

Yes

y

YES

Yes

yes

Yes

YESSS

Yes

YES

yes

YES

Yes

yes

Yes

new shirt when

Yea

YES!!

YASSSS

yes

YES

yes

YES

Yes

Yes!!!

YES

yes

yes

YES

Yes

yes

OWL All-Access Pass 2019

yes

VoteYea

yes

YES

TELL US ALL THE THINGS

yes

YES

yea

Yup

Yes.

Yes

yes

YES

YES

Yessss

yes

YES

yes

yes

Yes

no

yes

yes x1000

yes

YES!!!

YES

perhaps

@MagSul Arrik Dusto

yes

yes

YES thank yo

YES

yes

YES

YES

PVP

Yes

illeva1Hype

ban me no balls

Yes.

yes yes yes

yes

YES

its ok

yes

monkaS

yes

yes

yes

YES

yes

YES

Yes

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEs

Yes

Yes

YEs

yes

yes

YES!!!!

all sounds interesting

OMG!!!

Ya'll are doing amazing <3

<3

<3

<3

<3

<3

<3

<3

Yes

we need info on if pink sparkle powder is gonna be added in 6.0

YES

YES

yes

YES!

Definitely YES

KEPHESS

Yes

YES!!!!

yes

yes

I MISSED YOUR STREAMS <3

yes illeva1Rage

yes

yes

YES

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by LadyAdmiral

I'm not sure how I feel about set bonuses being in shells again, since it was something that really hurt gearing in the end, and removed customization for a lot of fans. I know we have the outfit tabs now, but I feel like we should keep the armorings for set bonuses. Hell, if you really want to avoid making armorings coincide with set bonuses, why not just have a set bonus slot on each piece of gear where we find a specific set bonus we want and then make it to where we need 2 pieces in order to activate it? This way we don't have to worry about the shells having set bonuses.

Seriously, guys, this is the first stream in YEARS that I've found to be truly hopeful. It's really appreciated. You know communication is vital. The only important thing we've ever truly asked of you all is to communicate openly, and the message got through. :)

Really fascinated by all of the changes being made to gearing, in a positive way. I'm a casual player who likes to play many characters, do conquest on one or two of them at most, run some fun things with a guild, but operations are extremely few and far between for me, and I do NOT PVP. So I'm very happy about all of this.

A couple of things I want to highlight:

1. Moving crafting mats to a legacy storage, as you stated, is one of the greatest things you guys have ever done. Thank you so much. This is a phenomenal development.

2. I have 300 CXP on three characters (my Sith Juggernaut, Jedi Sage and Arsenal Merc) and I'm working toward the fourth to complete the set so I get the full bonus in future. A little reassurance that that bonus will still exist in the new framework would be really appreciated.

3. As I said, I rarely if ever do Ops and don't do PVP. If I still have a good chance of getting the best gear from doing all the other things I do (conquest, weekly heroics, chapters, FPs) then I'm happy. I know it may take longer, but still... I do think Ossus was a step in the right direction (although I would argue there's almost no use for the Relics of Ossus, which is a shame).

4. To repeat quite a few comments on the live chat: we'd love weapons to be part of Outfit Designer!

BTW I was the one who said "Keith you look young and vibrant and please bring back Kira." I hope Keith took that in the spirit it was intended. :) (I also am the one who wants Athiss, Cademimu, Hammer Station, etc., given story mode solo versions, just something to think about for the future!)

Edited by damonskye

I would also like to echo the thoughts above about set bonuses and amplifiers being attached to shells. My main concern is that many of the legacy armors/weapons we have grinded for over the years would become pretty obsolete as far as I can tell (ranked PVP rewards especially). Edited by RussellRichter

I'm not sure how I feel about set bonuses being in shells again

I'm not sure how I feel about that either. It's a little OCD but I liked to put my set bonus armorings in shells chosen specifically with a particular look in mind, to suit the characters who use that gear. Yes, it's overwritten by outfits, but I just liked doing it all the same. I feel a little sad at losing this.

First, I know there was a lot of talk about Kira but don't forget that Consular's are still missing half of their crew. When are we going to get Tharan and Zenith back?

Couple thoughts from the stream:

Since Galactic Renown is now going to scale with your item rating, will reset at various points, and we'll earn RXP along side XP does that mean we'll start earning GR, and thus GR crates, from level 1?

Regarding crafting. You said that crafting needs to be relevant. That's true. But one area you've often failed in making crafting relevant is the only things worthwhile to craft often require mats that can only be acquired from certain content; often MM OPs. Please consider that there are crafters who don't have access to those materials but still want something worthwhile to craft. It's understandable that those items may not be the highest item rating, but don't gate everything worth crafting behind the MM gate.

First, I know there was a lot of talk about Kira but don't forget that Consular's are still missing half of their crew.

The Counselar companions weren't directly involved with the Emperor, Kira and Scourge were directly affected by the Emperor in their lifetime and had legitimate reasons to return within KotFE/KotET. The fact Kira and Scourge were left out of this conflict goes against their history and character as Scourge's entire reason for joining the Knight was to kill the Emperor once and for all, and Kira's was about redeeming herself due to her being an ex child of the Emperor, to where both had vowed to do whatever it took to kill him.

Hey folks,

Here is a recap of everything we talked about on the livestream today. We will be posting a robust blog with the same information in the next few days. Keep in mind that all of this is still in development so is subject to change. Here goes!

Communication and Feedback

• Our plan for Onslaught communication is to follow this cycle. Deliver information (stream, blogs, etc), gather your feedback, circle back to discuss that feedback with you, move into hands-on on PTS.

Itemization is split up into two primary categories, the items themselves, and how you acquire them. We will break those out individually.

Items

There are two major types of items we want to talk about (sets and tactical items) and a new bonus stat that those items will receive (Amplifiers). Let's break each down.

• Set Bonuses
    • In combination with tactical items can be playstyle defining
    • Multiple new sets for Advanced and Base Classes
    • Sets now come in various sizes

[*]Tacticals

• In combination with set bonuses can be playstyle defining
    • Multiple options for Disciplines and Advanced Classes
    • Rare item in a new item slot

• Inquisitor - The cooldown of Whirlwind is reduced, also, killing an enemy before Whirlwind ends resets the cooldown of Whirlwind
    • Sorcerer - Activating Unnatural Preservation removes Static Barrier's Deionize effect from you
    • Lightning Sorc - Crushing Darkness’s damage over time is increased and the chance that Forked Darkness causes Crushing Darkness to double-tick is improved
    • Madness Sorc - Death Field does more damage to all targets and spreads Force Slows effects

[*]Amplifiers

• New Bonus stat that will appear on Shells, Armorings, Hilts, Barrels, Mods, and Enhancements
    • Not included in PvP balance targets
    • Effects appear on specific mod types (ex: Shells and Armorings have different types of Amps)
    • Examples: Armor penetration, increased healing received, better harvesting results, increased XP
    • Amps can be rerolled (recalibrated) for credits.

Item Acquisition

Now that you know what the items are, one of the things that is very important in spoils of war is ensuring that acquiring items is also a good experience! We wanted to learn from the lessons of Galactic Command's launch, frustration around Ossus gearing, and adding on the things we have done well. Ultimately, getting loot is a loop that all starts with...

Play Your Way

• All content is a viable path to getting gear with harder content being more rewarding.
  • Drops now scale based on your characters current gear. At a certain item rating breakpoint is when sets and tacticals start dropping.
  • There is built in RNG protection on set and tactical items.
  • New items can now be freely moved through your Legacy.

Galactic Command and Conquests

• Both of these systems are supplementary (not primary) ways to gear your character.
  • Galactic Command is now Galactic Renown.
  • Every rank is now valuable, no more tiers.
  • Renown is now seasonal, beginning with Onslaught.
  • Renown crate rewards scale based on your current item rating.
  • Renown XP is derived from a percentage of all XP earned (including the current CXP perks)
  • Conquest Points are also earned from a percentage of all XP earned (this is coming in 5.10.3)
  • Gear is now also delivered in Personal and Guild Conquest Rewards

With all of this you will be getting much more gear than before which certainly means you will not want some of it. What do you do with it?

Deconstruction

• New interface where players will now be able to deconstruct unwanted items (reverse engineering will have an advantage here). Can breakdown items quickly by quality.
  • Items breakdown into crafting materials and a new currency.

Crafting and New Vendors

• Crafters will be able to make competitive end-game gear (to continue the trend of play your way).
  • Crafters can make un-moddable max item rating gear and mods. They will have some min/maxing drawbacks.
  • Crafters will be able to make crafted only tactical items.
  • New currency can be used on a vendor to allow you to purchase a random item of a specific slot (chest pieces, etc).
  • New currency can be used on a vendor who appears regularly has a changing selection of specific set and tactical items (to purchase exactly what you want).

There is a lot of information here. We definitely recommend watching the VOD to see our full conversation around spoils of war. Also, look for the spoils of war blog in the next few days with a more in-depth snapshot of this information. Look for our relevant feedback threads on the forums to let us know your thoughts, where we will also answer any questions. We are going to work on doing a Reddit Spoils of War AMAA if you prefer to use Reddit. And lastly we are working on getting a survey setup to get your thoughts there as well.

We are really excited about bringing spoils of war to you in Onslaught, so let us know your thoughts!

-eric

Thanks for adding this to the forums for those who didn't see the stream. It sounds interesting, and maybe some of the new features being added can help spice up the gameplay of all the different classes.

The Counselar companions weren't directly involved with the Emperor, Kira and Scourge were directly affected by the Emperor in their lifetime and had legitimate reasons to return within KotFE/KotET. The fact Kira and Scourge were left out of this conflict goes against their history and character as Scourge's entire reason for joining the Knight was to kill the Emperor once and for all, and Kira's was about redeeming herself due to her being an ex child of the Emperor, to where both had vowed to do whatever it took to kill him.

Please explain how any of that is relevant to making us, any of us, wait four years (by the time Onslaught drops it will be almost four years since Fallen Empire released) for our companions to return. And by the way, I have two Jedi Knights. I am as interested in Kira's and Scourge's returns as I am Tharan and Zenith, but Kira and Scourge (more so Kira) were the only ones mentioned during the stream.

Since Galactic Renown is now going to scale with your item rating, will reset at various points, and we'll earn RXP along side XP does that mean we'll start earning GR, and thus GR crates, from level 1?

Regarding crafting. You said that crafting needs to be relevant. That's true. But one area you've often failed in making crafting relevant is the only things worthwhile to craft often require mats that can only be acquired from certain content; often MM OPs. Please consider that there are crafters who don't have access to those materials but still want something worthwhile to craft. It's understandable that those items may not be the highest item rating, but don't gate everything worth crafting behind the MM gate.

I was curious to if the GR starts at level 1 too, I really think it should. That way leveling and playing the story can help the player build up their GR through XP etc, plus with the fact it reset it shouldn't hurt anything. I don't mind GR resetting but was wondering what others think about the GR just resetting. I suppose it might make it feel more grindy but it the system is truly just supplemental then I guess it wouldn't matter all that much. In theory is overall sound good but I won't know till I get a look at it.

Hey folks,

We wanted to learn from the lessons of Galactic Command's launch, frustration around Ossus gearing, and adding on the things we have done well.

[*]New currency can be used on a vendor to allow you to purchase a random item of a specific slot (chest pieces, etc).

[*]New currency can be used on a vendor who appears regularly has a changing selection of specific set and tactical items (to purchase exactly what you want).

-eric

Really? Which part of we hate rng is unclear? Noone enjoys having to rely on rng system to gear. Dont do it. Period. In any way.

As for gearing and all the new ways of it, new items slots which sounds pretty cool i have one request. Dont overgear people, dont give us 2nd 258 which is making not-godsnims easy. As a raider i can say i dont want end game content to be boring and forgiving, i want it challanging, please if you implement a gear level, nerf-buff classes after launch of 6.0, gont give us more gear after like half a year. Or at least adjust every PVE content to it not just one operation.

Personally I would have liked to see galactic command completely removed, I have never liked it. I think galactic command was never good enough to be a primary source of gear, and if it is not good enough to be a primary source of gear, then remove it because it causes unnecessary complexity when gearing at end game.

-eric

so...uh...I know these are just "example" abilities, but you can't seriously be thinking about BUFFING guard in any way, are you? at least not in PVP?

Edited by foxmob

Please explain how any of that is relevant to making us, any of us, wait four years (by the time Onslaught drops it will be almost four years since Fallen Empire released) for our companions to return. And by the way, I have two Jedi Knights. I am as interested in Kira's and Scourge's returns as I am Tharan and Zenith, but Kira and Scourge (more so Kira) were the only ones mentioned during the stream.

Because unlike Tharan and Zenith, it makes no sense for Kira and Scourge to have remained hidden, as it doesn't coincide with the story, which is what these companions are for, story. It makes nose sense for Kira and Scourge, who again had the biggest reason to return just remain away while the Eternal Alliance was fighting against Arcaan, especially when these two were always able to sense the Emperor. So with that, tell me why it's okay that the two companions tied to the emperor should have been left out of the last two expansions and why say Tharon and Zenith deserve a return more? I understand you want these two back, and that's fine, we all wanted our companions back, but on a story level, why should these two be given more focus when the two who had the most ties to the emperor were ignored for the last 2 expansions?

Because unlike Tharan and Zenith, it makes no sense for Kira and Scourge to have remained hidden, as it doesn't coincide with the story, which is what these companions are for, story. It makes nose sense for Kira and Scourge, who again had the biggest reason to return just remain away while the Eternal Alliance was fighting against Arcaan, especially when these two were always able to sense the Emperor. So with that, tell me why it's okay that the two companions tied to the emperor should have been left out of the last two expansions and why say Tharon and Zenith deserve a return more? I understand you want these two back, and that's fine, we all wanted our companions back, but on a story level, why should these two be given more focus when the two who had the most ties to the emperor were ignored for the last 2 expansions?

I don't see how they're mutually exclusive. There's no issue with them wondering about their Consular companions if they weren't discussed, as well.

So in other words you have nothing. You think Kira and Scourge are more important to the story so they should receive priority. Your point has absolutely nothing to do with me reminding Eric and BW that they have other companions that people have been waiting for four years to get back.

Example Effects that could be found on these items for....

-eric

I know you said these are examples, but I feel I need to chime in, in case you are serious about some of these.

1. Whirlwind usually breaks on damage. So it would be impossible under the current system to kill someone before it ends. So this example is nonsensical unless you are making changes to how WW works?

2. Why would anyone want unnatural preservation to remove static barriers deionising effect? That would mean you would need to reapply it straight away?? Another nonsensical suggestion.

3. As much as it’s appreciated that you are looking at lightning Sorcs, crushing darkness is the least usable in pvp because it takes too long to cast if you have to continuously LoS. Adding more damage onto it is pointless for pvpers.

So I hope you have better ideas. AKA, the one you mentioned last month of making chain lightning only hit one target, but with higher burst.

4. Madness Sorc. This is a great idea (if you are a madness Sorc), but I can already hear the nerf calls because of the “slow” affect being spammed on people when there are more than 1 madness Sorc in pvp. I think an ability like this will be similar to the force storm slow spam problem from a few years ago. It will make madness Sorcs a little OP for pvp.

Anyway. It’s great that you’ve given all this info to us, I just hope you guys are serious on taking our feed back on some things that might not be good.

Edit : Disregard some of this post. The notes didn’t do the stream justice and it’s easy to misunderstand without listening to it.

The only thing I still think is still relevant is point 4 and point 3.

But it seems point 4 is supposed to have the effect I’m concerned about :eek: so it will be a very interesting time post launch with all the nerf calls.

Edited by TrixxieTriss