5.0 Combat Sentinel/Carnage Marauder Guides by Hayete

Bahadori

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first time leveling a Carnage Marauder and I was looking at your rotations. I assume these rotations are after you've a full bar of fury, correct?

If you're referring to the "Leveling" chapter, no. The leveling chapter is designed as a priority list system that is not dependent on having full Fury (Berserk). If however you're referring to the "Rotation" chapter then yes that is starting with Berserk.

Edited by Bahadori

I just reached lvl 70 with my combat sentinel and i'm starting to gear up,first with 228 rating gear,any cheap for start right.

Later when i have TONS of money i'll focus on 240 rating gear.

This guide is good for know the numbers of every stat that sentinel needs. Thanks.

I just reached lvl 70 with my combat sentinel and i'm starting to gear up,first with 228 rating gear,any cheap for start right.

Later when i have TONS of money i'll focus on 240 rating gear.

This guide is good for know the numbers of every stat that sentinel needs. Thanks.

You're welcome mate, glad it's proving helpful :)

Update:

Very nice

*continues playing Watchman*

<3

Awesome job, community needs this so thank you. In regards to PVP i know Bolster is stranger than ever and it is difficult to tell as of now for optimal set up. Have you tested this same build within PVP? Interesting to see how similar or different they are. Thanks

Awesome job, community needs this so thank you. In regards to PVP i know Bolster is stranger than ever and it is difficult to tell as of now for optimal set up. Have you tested this same build within PVP? Interesting to see how similar or different they are. Thanks

In short, no I have not. With this Galactic Command system it's a bit difficult to get in and test certain aspects for PvE let alone PvP. It was much better when skilled players were able to go get gear and test certain ideas by killing bosses. Being that i'm only Level 29 with this ridiculous system and have no control over gear unless I want to drop creds on them or bug people to craft it's turned me off to do much outside of fact checking my guides. Until the reintroduction of gear drops later this month i've suspended a lot of my testing efforts.

Edited by Bahadori

If you're referring to the "Leveling" chapter, no. The leveling chapter is designed as a priority list system that is not dependent on having full Fury (Berserk). If however you're referring to the "Rotation" chapter then yes that is starting with Berserk.

All right, thanks for responding and I appreciate the guide you've got going! :)

First - let me thank you again for the guide. Just a little suggestion (don't know if it's possible). The rotation isn't the easiest (nothing wrong with that) and a single mistake can easily throw one out because - well, it flows if you execute everything right but for a beginner that is easier said than done especially in the heat of a real fight away from the benign combat dummy :)

So - are there any general guidelines that can help one to get back into the rotation once one has messed up somehow? Or is it more or less "massacre/assault" until battering assault comes off CD again and one starts from the opener minus force leap (with hopefully the other abilites off CD as well? In the end it's probably real experience with the spec but - well, should there be something if that experience isn't there yet, I'd appreciate any help :)

And how does one transition from single target phases to AOE phases and back again?

First - let me thank you again for the guide. Just a little suggestion (don't know if it's possible). The rotation isn't the easiest (nothing wrong with that) and a single mistake can easily throw one out because - well, it flows if you execute everything right but for a beginner that is easier said than done especially in the heat of a real fight away from the benign combat dummy :)

So - are there any general guidelines that can help one to get back into the rotation once one has messed up somehow? Or is it more or less "massacre/assault" until battering assault comes off CD again and one starts from the opener minus force leap (with hopefully the other abilites off CD as well? In the end it's probably real experience with the spec but - well, should there be something if that experience isn't there yet, I'd appreciate any help :)

And how does one transition from single target phases to AOE phases and back again?

So first and foremost I'm really glad you asked this question, asking questions is the only way we improve as players :D

You're absolutely right in the rotation being a bit heavy to deal with, thank the developers and their absurd cost of Lance for that. Anyhow, I mention it in the guide briefly but no rotation, difficult or easy, will be maintained indefinitely in an actual encounter. Thus, the priority lists are truly what you need to master with the spec. The rotation is built to be more of a best case scenario, a convenience if you will. When everything is in our favor (i.e. target doesn't move and we don't have too either) we can utilize the rotation and optimize our DPS capabilities. When we're forced to respond to a situation however or mess the rotation up and it "breaks" we have to immediately fall back on the priority lists.

More often than not, during a real encounter, you'll spend most of your time navigating the priority lists. The trick, well not so much a trick as experience, is learning how to weave in and out from rotation to priorities and back to rotation when the opportunity presents itself. Unfortunately, there is no real way to 'teach' this and is something that each player figures out differently.

Another small nuance to consider is the Brazen/Stoic utility. If you're using this utility it can also be the cause for rotation misalignment in that taking damage propels you closer to Berserk/Zen while you're ability cooldowns maintain static. Learning damage profiles for an encounter and when you can expect them can be a great help in navigating from priorities back into rotation or vise versa.

Lastly, something I need to add to the guide, you absolutely cannot make use of either Burst section of the rotation if you do not have at a minimum 3 stacks of Berserk/Zen remaining as you move to use Ferocity/Precision. If you have 2 stacks or less you will fall outside of the window on Gore/Lance 100% of the time. This is another thing to consider during a live fight. If you see this scenario starting to play out you'll want to immediately fall to your priorities and drop out of the rotation.

On the topic of moving between AoE and Single Target it's more or less the exact same idea as what i've covered. You'll move from Single Target into your AoE priorities and after AoE you'll move back into Single Target priorities until you're able to jump back into the rotation.

I know that was a lot of stuff thrown at you but the good news is i'm in the process of working on developing a more simplified rotation. Understanding a more simplified rotation trades optimization for ease of use so DPS output will be less. Once it's development is finished i'll be updating the guides and i'll post about it here, so make sure your notifications for this thread are on :) Good luck mate.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply - very much appreciated :)

Not a problem mate, good luck :)

Oh don't worry there was no sarcasm there. I just don't like the spec period.

But I think your guide is fantastic

Fair enough mate LOL thanks :cool:

Hey so I started building a combat sent and I'm confused on which of the enchantments to use in the context of pvp

I know that you need 110% acc for pve bosses but how important is it for pvp? Should I focus on alacrity or crit instead

I don't expect to have 228 or 240 gear anytime soon so I'm just using vendor mods

Hey so I started building a combat sent and I'm confused on which of the enchantments to use in the context of pvp

I know that you need 110% acc for pve bosses but how important is it for pvp? Should I focus on alacrity or crit instead

I don't expect to have 228 or 240 gear anytime soon so I'm just using vendor mods

My guides are only written for PvE. With that said you'll get various answers to your questions depending on who you talk to. My advice would be drop all Accuracy from your gear and focus on Crit and Alacrity as you suggested. If you're using vendor mods (sounds like you're not level 70 yet) I honestly would not even worry about gearing strategies.

I just returned to the game and decided to give my level 62 carny a try. Is it just me or does it feel incredibly rage starved in comparison to 4.0? It just all feels... Sluggish.

Gore is what causes the spec to feel sluggish. Essentially we gained an ability that costs 3 Rage we didn't have to spend back in 4.0

Thanks for making this guide! I'm using it for working on my Marauder and it's very useful. :)

However I do have a question for you. I'm still working on the rotation and I've only gotten this far Opener, Burst 1 > Cycle 1 > Burst 1, however, I'm always short two stacks of Zen when I get to where I need to do Massacre x3 & x4 in the rotation. Because I'm always short I have to do Massacre x4 and x5 instead. As far as I know I'm following the rotation exactly. Do you have any ideas why I'm short?

Thanks! :)