Will swtor ever go free to play?

tehrealdealz

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think? What normally makes a mmo go F2P? Lack of interest? Lack of subs? People think just because every server isn't full on a Tuesday afternoon @1430 the game is losing subs. I love this game, but because of this little thing called "work" I cant play nor have I had more than an hour each night over the past 2 weeks to play. Does my absence mean that I dislike the game or I am unsubbing? Nope, it only means that I can not play because of my real life. Wait until may-june when the kids get out of school and college is out and you will see the populations go up again. Just like every year on almost every MMO (to include SWG).

Wait until may-june when the kids get out of school and college is out and you will see the populations go up again. Just like every year on almost every MMO (to include SWG).

You can also bet there'll be a game update (1.3?) by June or so to attract said demographic along with 1.2 being released mid-April to keep people from getting TERA.

EDIT:

To the OP: No, I don't think it'll be going F2P anytime soon. Considering Star Wars Galaxies had a much less impressive run than TOR has so far (Though it's still very early to tell) and it never went F2P, I don't think TOR will ever see such need.

And before anyone speaks of Galaxies closing, it close because the license expired when TOR launched. Not because it wasn't making any money even when it was a mess.

Edited by Tizzysawr

Are people still this delusional?

the only ones who are delusional are the ones that think this is gonna crash and burn, this game has as much chance over its lifetime of going f2p as wow did and does. And dont anyone spout this will never get anywhere near as wow did cos unless your clairvoyant you dont have a chance of knowing.

Star wars is the strongest IP in the world and more money then some small countrys to throw at it.

Edited by Shingara

the only ones who are delusional are the ones that think this is gonna crash and burn, this game has as much chance over its lifetime of going f2p as wow did and does. And dont anyone spout this will never get anywhere near as wow did cos unless your clairvoyant you dont have a chance of knowing.

Star wars is the strongest IP in the world and more money then some small countrys to throw at it.

You dont need to be clairvoyant to know that this does not stand a chance of being anything better than it has been already. 1.7mil will be the max subs this game will ever pull and it will go down. No amount of patches will change the foundation of the game which is a single player game with a few MMO additions.

You dont need to be clairvoyant to know that this does not stand a chance of being anything better than it has been already. 1.7mil will be the max subs this game will ever pull and it will go down. No amount of patches will change the foundation of the game which is a single player game with a few MMO additions.

I'd like to see how you got your statistics.

Go back to WoW please.

Edit: I know a game called world of tanks and it has MILLIONS of players and it's a friggin tank game, star wars is more popular than tanks so it would have a LOT MORE players than a friggin WW2 tank game.

Edited by Scerge

Um, the sub numbers as of the end of Feb/start of March was 1.7 million, making it very likely that the sub numbers went even higher when, a week or so later, the Australian/Asian servers opened.

Edited by Runeshard

Considering games like FFXI are still charging a subscription fee with about 200,000 players, I doubt SW will go F2P anytime soon. Even if TOR dips down to let's say 500,000 subscribers, that's still over 7million$ a month in their pockets. Of course, if the game hovers around 1,000,000 players, which I believe it can maintain, then that's double the cash.

I get that for the hardcore of hardcore players, TOR offers very little in terms of wasting your time in game. To the average gamer though, this game is great and you feel as though you can get something done every time you log in. F2P isn't always based on subscription numbers, but it often is. You can't tell me a game like DC universe was going on survive on subs alone.

I'd like to see how you got your statistics.

Go back to WoW please.

Edit: I know a game called world of tanks and it has MILLIONS of players and it's a friggin tank game, star wars is more popular than tanks so it would have a LOT MORE players than a friggin WW2 tank game.

Who needs statistics with a game like this ..... experience and observation of the game is more than enough to draw a rough conclusion.

Is "Go back to WoW please" some kind of way to try and offend ppl or something?

And just because its a 'Star Wars' game doesn't make a better game.

Who needs statistics with a game like this ..... experience and observation of the game is more than enough to draw a rough conclusion.

Translation: I have no numbers so I'll just poorly deflect the post and continue pretending I know something.

Numbers, sir. Either produce them or leave.

Actually. It is. When someone tells you "Go back to WoW" basically that person is saying your a players thats used to being spoon fed everything. Epics, Titles, Mounts, Pets, etc etc without having to do any really anything.

Well, seeing as your experience and observation of the game have most likely lead you wrong, as I pointed out in my post above, I'd say you do need to look at some statistics.

I know alot of newly released mmos that were supposed to be giant and went F2P after a while. Do you guys think swtor will go that route and when?

1. Why do you ask?

2. What would a 'No' answer mean to you?

3. What would a 'Yes' answer mean to you?

You really need to stop drinking the cola with to many sparkles in you know that, let me give you a hint, this game got nearly 2 mil subs and bliz aparently lost no subs, that tells you that the vast majority of people here are not from wow. Which means when mop hits and it fails they are either going to goto gw2 or here.

This game has more possibilitys then wow does and wow is coming to the end of its comercial life and thats easy to see by the way blizzard are handling there game and giving out 80's like free candy.

This game has what, 1.7 mil subs from the last count and yes there maybe a lul in the playerbase at the min for some people whos friends are taking a break but dont dream that this is somehow a sign that its failing, its a sign that people powered through the content they were interested in only.

Bioware, EA are throwing money hand over fist into the development of this game and Lucas are advertising it, the only place this game is going is up. And if you think the foundation of this game is single player then your missing something cos the foundation of this game is RPG which alot of mmos have severaly lacked.

Edited by Shingara

those of you clammoring for F2P are too cheap to stop eating your fast food eats for a mereday. Seriously $15/mon and you all shade it with other reasons as to why it should be F2P when the real reason is you simply do not want to pay it.

those of you clammoring for F2P are too cheap to stop eating your fast food eats for a mereday. Seriously $15/mon and you all shade it with other reasons as to why it should be F2P when the real reason is you simply do not want to pay it.

Plus F2P actually costs you MORE than a P2P game.

World of Warcraft, you spend 15 a month. At most you can spend over 100 bucks if you use all the premium services.

League of Legends costs you over 1000 bucks in a WEEK because you cannot do CRAP without visiting that online store.

I dont have any problem paying the $15 a month. The reason I was asking is that alot of the mmos that were supposed to be giant have all gone F2P. Even rift I believe is going F2P pretty soon from what im hearing. They are shutting down ALOT of their servers and forcing players to transfer, albeit for free but still.