An update on the One-Time-Password system (April 16th 2013)

Phillip_BW

If I remember correctly (and otherwise the security key wouldn't make much sense), this will ask you for a code from your linked phone, which, of course, is impossible in case of a lost, stolen or broken phone.

Out dated.

Couple of months now you have been able to remove/reset Authentication device on your own.

Yes you do need to enter a OTP, however the code is emailed to you wether you have the actual device or not. So if its lost, no problem.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.) Trust me, no one cares if you or your girlfriend quit. Not trying to be rude -- but posts like this make no sense to me. Personal stories like this make no difference -- they only make some people view it as whining and "gimme gimme".

2.) Funny, when did they say CM was a priority? I'd love to know how you know this -- considering we've gotten a reasonable amount of NON-CM content.

3.) Bolster only ruins PvP if you have no skill and hide behind gear. Clearly there are a few issues with non-bolstered PvP, but that isn't what you're talking about.

4.) PvP gear is NOT less effective. Please stop posting false information.

5.) They admitted to the problems. They're trying to fix it. Until now, most people have had no issues -- and even now, most people aren't having issues. I fail to see how this is them "squeezing" money out of everyone. If they really wanted to get the lousy $5 for the physical key (which, by the way, isn't free to make) or the $0 for the app (oh yeah, that one is free!) they would make it a requirement.

Using your hatred/anger of BW to twist things doesn't make them true.

1- I'm entitled to express how and why i feel a certain way. if you dont care...thats cool. i dont care that you dont care. But at least i have a reason behind my words. unlike random people who ***** for the sake of ************.

and you are right...i dont expect BW to care about losing 2 subs. they obviously haven't cared about losing any subs because this game continues to lose subs.

2- I dont have a source. nor did i claim to. However...statistically speaking..this game does have less actual content/updates each year then ANY other game with a subscription plan. that includes patches and update fixes.

Instead, we get new toys to buy and re-skined things we can spend real money on.

3- No. PVP is broken. they even admit it on the PVP forums. TTK is way too high. Stuns are broken and too op for all classes and the resolve system is broken. pvp lvl brackets are garbage. bolster is flawed. all things they admit to on the pvp forums. with no ETA.

4- derp. Recruit gear....nuff said. Go into a warzone with your blue lvl 50 recruit gear. or any gear that still has expertise. wearing it will actually LOWER your stats. this is a fact. you have better stats with gear that has no expertise. You get FREE expertise now. So all PVP gear is in fact worse off. the ONLY exception is now the high lvl EWH gear has that stat removed. So you get the good stats of the gear, AND the full bolstered expertise. Recruit gear makes you worse at pvp.

5- The point is that they are making it a forced option. it should be "added" security. Not forced. either that or make it freely available to all users. not just those with apple products. many people use BB or windows based phones now. Therfor making it a HUGE problem for anyone else.

Get off your high horse and realize people are entitled to express what bothers them. just because you do not care, doesn't mean my concerns are not valid. if people are not allowed to inform them of there grievances...they can't better themselves as a company. So stop trolling.

1- I'm entitled to express how and why i feel a certain way. if you dont care...thats cool. i dont care that you dont care. But at least i have a reason behind my words. unlike random people who ***** for the sake of ************.

and you are right...i dont expect BW to care about losing 2 subs. they obviously haven't cared about losing any subs because this game continues to lose subs.

2- I dont have a source. nor did i claim to. However...statistically speaking..this game does have less actual content/updates each year then ANY other game with a subscription plan. that includes patches and update fixes.

Instead, we get new toys to buy and re-skined things we can spend real money on.

3- No. PVP is broken. they even admit it on the PVP forums. TTK is way too high. Stuns are broken and too op for all classes and the resolve system is broken. pvp lvl brackets are garbage. bolster is flawed. all things they admit to on the pvp forums. with no ETA.

4- derp. Recruit gear....nuff said. Go into a warzone with your blue lvl 50 recruit gear. or any gear that still has expertise. wearing it will actually LOWER your stats. this is a fact. you have better stats with gear that has no expertise. You get FREE expertise now. So all PVP gear is in fact worse off. the ONLY exception is now the high lvl EWH gear has that stat removed. So you get the good stats of the gear, AND the full bolstered expertise. Recruit gear makes you worse at pvp.

5- The point is that they are making it a forced option. it should be "added" security. Not forced. either that or make it freely available to all users. not just those with apple products. many people use BB or windows based phones now. Therfor making it a HUGE problem for anyone else.

Get off your high horse and realize people are entitled to express what bothers them. just because you do not care, doesn't mean my concerns are not valid. if people are not allowed to inform them of there grievances...they can't better themselves as a company. So stop trolling.

Are you kidding? Get off my high horse?

1.) Why do you feel the need to vent about personal life on forums?

2.) Show me the statistics. You're talking out of your ***. This game DOES have fewer updates as a whole, something that has gotten better in the last few months -- however, you cannot compare it to other games unless they ALSO had a horrendous launch, went F2P rather quickly, and struggled to catch up. Ontop of that -- separate CM team. Reskins take MUCH less time than any level of actual content.

3.) Maybe you should read the forums? Expertise was removed from pre-55 gear, and it it's stat "loss" given to other stats. Bolster was bugged, and has been fixed. Show me where they admit that brackets are broken? That's your opinion, don't state **** as fact without evidence. Yes, TTK was lowered unintentionally, and they explained what happened and are working on it.

4.) Recruit gear was removed from the game for a reason. PvP gear is still better -- but you have to work for it again. Welcome to an MMO, they just made PvP gear re-set the same as PvE gear does. PvE gear IS NOT better than PvP gear.

5.) Informing and whining are two different things. Ignorance of the MANY posts that are made stating the same BS on a daily basis doesn't make it any better. The free app is available on BOTH iOS and Android -- why? Because that is where the MAJORITY of the market share lies. Surprisingly enough, it's also SIMPLE to "translate" between iOS and Android. Windows phone is a PIA to develop for, and not worth the time and effort. "Many" people is still the vast minority. Emulators are another option. Surprisingly, there are also MANY people who are NOT using any type of security key AND not having problems. Yes, it's an issue. But PLEASE explain why we need 10+ threads of people screaming about it when they've already answered it dozens of times?

It's been addressed -- don't like the answer? I don't know what to tell you -- but complaining about the same **** over and over again is NOT going to give you a different answer.

I checked the mail headers (and am competent in doing this, i have 2 bachelors degrees in computer science) and the emails took 4 seconds to arrive at my mail provider and get pushed via IMAP to my desktop.

The mail headers I see are interesting. The mail appears to come from Dynect (216.146.40.12) who I guess you are using as a mail service. The mail headers indicate ~1 second from there to my mailbox. It usually arrives too late for me to use the OTP. I will be very glad to see the time limit increase, but I'd also recommend you look at the process between the OTP generation and Dynect sending the mail. It varies greatly in performance. Sometimes if can take seconds, other times it can take 10-15 minutes repeatably.

I might try using the security key on a smartphone emulator. I can avoid the security issue by having it on another computer. My mail isn't on my gaming computer anyway, for the same reason.

Edit - Fortunately the game doesn't ask for OTP often, unlike my browser, which seems to lose cookies on a very frequent basis.

Edit 2 - Checking the mail timestamps, looks like it has been much faster before 8pm uk time, but of course that's a pretty small sample size. Just going from those times where I only had to get one OTP rather than half a dozen.

Edited by Darzil

What you alone do is irrelevant.

I'm quite sure I'm not alone in this :)
If statistics show that a large enough number of people are unhappy because they lost their accounts ( or are afraid that they may lose their accounts, and see that others are providing increased security ), and Bioware/EA are losing a large enough amount of money on providing support for restoring accounts, then they will try and prevent it.

From what I see here I think that an even larger amount of people are unhappy because of this OTP nonsense

Are you kidding? Get off my high horse?

1.) Why do you feel the need to vent about personal life on forums?

2.) Show me the statistics. You're talking out of your ***. This game DOES have fewer updates as a whole, something that has gotten better in the last few months -- however, you cannot compare it to other games unless they ALSO had a horrendous launch, went F2P rather quickly, and struggled to catch up. Ontop of that -- separate CM team. Reskins take MUCH less time than any level of actual content.

3.) Maybe you should read the forums? Expertise was removed from pre-55 gear, and it it's stat "loss" given to other stats. Bolster was bugged, and has been fixed. Show me where they admit that brackets are broken? That's your opinion, don't state **** as fact without evidence. Yes, TTK was lowered unintentionally, and they explained what happened and are working on it.

4.) Recruit gear was removed from the game for a reason. PvP gear is still better -- but you have to work for it again. Welcome to an MMO, they just made PvP gear re-set the same as PvE gear does. PvE gear IS NOT better than PvP gear.

5.) Informing and whining are two different things. Ignorance of the MANY posts that are made stating the same BS on a daily basis doesn't make it any better. The free app is available on BOTH iOS and Android -- why? Because that is where the MAJORITY of the market share lies. Surprisingly enough, it's also SIMPLE to "translate" between iOS and Android. Windows phone is a PIA to develop for, and not worth the time and effort. "Many" people is still the vast minority. Emulators are another option. Surprisingly, there are also MANY people who are NOT using any type of security key AND not having problems. Yes, it's an issue. But PLEASE explain why we need 10+ threads of people screaming about it when they've already answered it dozens of times?

It's been addressed -- don't like the answer? I don't know what to tell you -- but complaining about the same **** over and over again is NOT going to give you a different answer.

Its called feedback. I'm entitled to express it. With or without personal reasons. I opted to rationally explain my logic and concerns. You do not have to like it. But public forums are just that. Public forums. And by definition...it is a place to express ones concerns or opinions. Pity the concept is lost on you...

These are my concerns. Regardless of if you feel they are valid or not, they are mine. and i expressed my dissatisfaction with something i pay to use. If you are satisfied...power to ya mate. But currently...i am not satisfied and i feel obliged... because i do overall enjoy the game...want to offer insight into things i do not enjoy.

I have an observation and a suggestion for you:

Observation: you clearly are not happy with this game (based strictly on your long list of complaints about things you do not like and that have nothing to do with this topic). Your girl friends challenges with OTP appear to be secondary in nature to me in that context. Or is she beating you over the head with her Blackberry, and I just missed that part?

Suggestion: Do not use your girl friends alleged frustration and experience with OTP as your excuse for quitting. Let her do that. I am assuming she is a grown adult and can express her own frustrations if she chooses to. How about you just man up and admit you don't like the game and will move on to something you do like. Besides.. it really does not sound like she is that interested in this MMO anyway and would rather be playing the more traditional fantasy MMO.. so let her. I'm sure Bioware does not really want anyone playing the game that does not actually enjoy it and are actually having fun playing it.

Its called feedback. I'm entitled to express it.

I don't know about that. It's awfully dramatic when I read it. Drama is for..... drama class... and late nite slurries in some dark night club IMO. Whereas feedback.. well that's best placed in the actual feedback forms that companies provide for feedback.

Sorry.. but I feel that you wanted/needed an audience.. and went for drama rather then feedback. ;)

Edited by Andryah

I don't know about that. It's awfully dramatic when I read it. Drama is for..... drama class... and late nite slurries in some dark night club IMO. Whereas feedback.. well that's best placed in the actual feedback forms that companies provide for feedback.

Sorry.. but I feel that you wanted/needed an audience.. and went for drama rather then feedback. ;)

It wasn't drama, it was personal feedback. Expressing frustration tends to rely on personal opinion. Otherwise no objective opinion could be formed. Simply stating you dont like something is considered childish whining. Stating you dont like something, and added a reason...is called expression.

agreement or consensus is not mandatory for feedback to exist.

As for your previous comment. my GF does indeed enjoy the game and on her days off will play it nonstop for 8-10 hours a day while i'm at work! But simple log in problems should be adressed ASAP. as a game company...i would assume having your players able to play the game in a timely fashion is kind of a big deal. If they do not get feedback stating that people have issue with it, how can they fix it or realize the scope it bothers the players who experience it?

As i said...i enjoy the game. despite the issues i feel are hugely neglected. I willingly pay money to subscribe to the game, and logging in is the first thing i do when i get home. I choose to post the complaint because the "Help" feature that pops up for those who can't log into the game because it takes 30 mintues or more to get the one time email...and by then its timed out....get told to create a ticket within the game for customer support. in case you dont see the issue with that...it is impossible.

She literally can NOT log into the game or website to vent this herself or get customer support online. So while i value your opinions on the matter. It clearly doesn't effect you as it does her. Thus i feel like you should perhaps make more of an effort to understand other peoples issues before you deem it necessary to criticize other peoples complaints.

I'd imagine his "confusion" is over your statement -- rebooting your computer will NOT change your external IP. This only changes your internal IP, and you stated

However -- in general, unless you are paying for a static IP, you have a dynamic IP (at least in the US).

Dude, there is no "confusion", what I wrote is correct. When I reset the modem, the IP changes, when I reset the computer the IP changes (and no it not power linked with the modem). In what other language I have to write it.

Thus i feel like you should perhaps make more of an effort to understand other peoples issues before you deem it necessary to criticize other peoples complaints.

Tip: if you had stayed on topic.. and not brought in every nuance of things about the game you do not like (all of which are off topic).. you would not have heard a peep out of me. ;)

As for the OTP issue your girl friend is having... most people are able to find ways to solve this on their end if they simply gleen the information and suggestions offered by other players and by Philip. Unless you have worked the problem for her, which is what a good boy friend should be doing IMO, your energy complaining is energy wrongly spent IMO.

Edited by Andryah

Again you have not explained why you cannot manage to secure your site without relying on this mechanic or forcing users to enable cookies. Literally thousands of sites with more critical data and more robust security than yours manage to do this day in and day out, every day. Yet you alone cannot.

In my experience, the ones that don't use cookies to verify identity use security certificates. These, I believe, require money to create (or have created) and then registered. How much I don't know, though.

Why is there no discussion of an option to opt out of two way authentication? Clearly, some value the extra security. Clearly, some are experiencing frustration with the barriers two way authentication presents in logging into the game. If I were offered the option of having password only login under the 'scary' condition that I would receive no support from customer service if my account was hacked and resulted in the loss of virtual items, I would gladly take it. Two way authentication is a resource burden for SWTOR -- having the option to not use it is a win for the service provider and a win for customer satisfaction.

Dude, there is no "confusion", what I wrote is correct. When I reset the modem, the IP changes, when I reset the computer the IP changes (and no it not power linked with the modem). In what other language I have to write it.

You need to understand something... your modem actually has two IP address, both are from separate IP ranges. One is on the side that connects to your computer and the modem will assign a third IP address to your PC that matches this same range. These IP addresses are invisible to EA/BW.

The IP address that EA/BW can see is the internet side of the modem... the part that communicates out through the cable/DSL line. This one is assigned to your modem by your ISP in the same manor as how your computer is assigned an IP by the modem. You cannot see this IP from your computer unless you use a web browser to log into your modem and view the settings... assuming your ISP even gave you the password to be able to log into the modem in the first place.

My impression of Andryah:

Most other people don't have a problem, so you people who are complaining must just be stupid.

BioWare is awesome. BioWare can do no wrong.

:cool:

Just goes to show how subjective you are and how petty you can be. :)

1) I have never called anyone stupid. So please.. stop with the false accusations.

2) I believe that people can/should/will do for MMO software what they do for any PC software..... work the problem.

3) working the problem =/= complaining in a forum and refusing to do anything on the players end to find a resolution that works for them.

This issue has been discussed at great length and many people have solved their problems through the discussion and the information obtained. There are multiple ways to mitigate the OTP issue..... complaining about it is not one of them.

Tip: if you had stayed on topic.. and not brought in every nuance of things about the game you do not like (all of which are off topic).. you would not have heard a peep out of me. ;)

As for the OTP issue your girl friend is having... most people are able to find ways to solve this on their end if they simply gleen the information and suggestions offered by other players and by Philip. Unless you have worked the problem for her, which is what a good boy friend should be doing IMO, your energy complaining is energy wrongly spent IMO.

His post and his right to express it the way he wanted is still valid. Just because you do not like the way he expressed himself does not make it invalid.

You also have no idea what time he and/or his GF have already spent in trying to troubleshoot the problem from their end, so saying that his "energy complaining is energy wrongly spent" is ill-placed.

His post and his right to express it the way he wanted is still valid. Just because you do not like the way he expressed himself does not make it invalid.

I never said it was invalid. Just that it was dramatic. I never told him not to express his opinion... only what I observed from it and my suggestions accordingly.

And the fact is... he was extrtemely off-topic with 90% of what he wrote.... and all it did was create needless drama in the thead. As for complaining... yeah. in fact.. complaining about a problem does not solve a problem. Working the problem solves the problem. You are right.. I don't know what (if anything) he has done to work the problem.. becasue he has given zero indication that he has done anything to work the problem. What exactly is your point?

OIC... he can express his opinion, but I cannot express mine. How double standard of you.

Edited by Andryah

I understand why you do it? It just sucks... I read the forums on my phone... Which I have to log I if I post.... I play 90% from my laptop... Which means I'm playing from different IP's... So I'm getting hit each time for the freaking email....

Just goes to show how subjective you are and how petty you can be. :)

1) I have never called anyone stupid. So please.. stop with the false accusations.

2) I believe that people can/should/will do for MMO software what they do for any PC software..... work the problem.

3) working the problem =/= complaining in a forum and refusing to do anything on the players end to find a resolution that works for them.

This issue has been discussed at great length and many people have solved their problems through the discussion and the information obtained. There are multiple ways to mitigate the OTP issue..... complaining about it is not one of them.

Of course, you don't say it straight out. You're never blatant about your criticism of others who have issues with the game. But if you look at your posts, really look at them, you are insinuating that they are stupid or ignorant and that regardless of the issues BioWares changes cause it is always great and awesome and anyone who has a problem with it is just plain wrong.

Well, Andryah. You are wrong.

Edited by Blackavaar

I understand why you do it? It just sucks... I read the forums on my phone... Which I have to log I if I post.... I play 90% from my laptop... Which means I'm playing from different IP's... So I'm getting hit each time for the freaking email....

This is exactly why I went with a security key right after launch. Because under the old system.. you would be getting the secret question pops... which are equally annoying IMO..

and though secret questions are a bit simpler then waiting for a OTP... they do require a correct answer... and I can recall seeing much gnashing of teeth and complaining in forum about getting locked out of the game for failing on secret question answers in the first months of this games launch.

Of course, you don't say it straight out. You're never blatant about your criticism of others who have issues with the game. But if you look at your posts, really look at them, you are insinuating that they are stupid or ignorant and that regardless of the issues BioWares changes cause it is always great and awesome and anyone who has a problem with it is just plain wrong.

Well, Andryah. You are wrong.

The only thing I am insinuating in my posts is that people are lazy and would rather complain then work the problem. I am consistent in that.. and I really don't even insinuate it most times... I say it straight out. I am a very direct person.

As for Bioware.. I have criticized them on a number of aspects about their security changes (as recently as last night in fact) so please stop with the rose colored glasses and perjoratives.

Edited by Andryah

I never said it was invalid. Just that it was dramatic. I never told him not to express his opinion... only what I observed from it and my suggestions accordingly.

And the fact is... he was extrtemely off-topic with 90% of what he wrote.... and all it did was create needless drama in the thead. As for complaining... yeah. in fact.. complaining about a problem does not solve a problem. Working the problem solves the problem. You are right.. I don't know what (if anything) he has done to work the problem.. becasue he has given zero indication that he has done anything to work the problem. What exactly is your point?

OIC... he can express his opinion, but I cannot express mine. How double standard of you.

To the first:

Suggestion:[/b] Do not use your girl friends alleged frustration and experience with OTP as your excuse for quitting.

-snip-

How about you just man up and admit you don't like the game and will move on to something you do like.

-snip-

Second: Aside from his bullet list at the bottom of his initial post, he was actually 100% on topic. Again, how he decides to express it is his choice.

Finally: I wish they had a smiley face on here that actually looked like it was laughing.... >.>

Ok, if you want to go that route... yes, fine. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, even if that opinion is that other people's opinions are invalid.