Remake of the older (4-6) movies?

info_man

OKay, let me preface what I'm about to say with this: I am 34 years old. I saw the original trilogy when I was a kid.

...and I hated it. Not the story, mind you...the story was great. The whole Jedi thing was great. The movie itself though...it just didn't jive with me. And I was a budding sci-fi nut.

Fast forward to Episode one. It was amazing. (with a few notable exceptions: Jar Jar, the gungans in general, and some of the dialog made me want to force choke Lucas.)

The other two prequels were alright...seeing Yoda tear **** up was magnificent. Hell most of the fights in the prequels were damn enjoyable.

To be honest, I fell in love with the Star Wars mythos after playing the original Knights of the Old Republic. ANd then Kotor 2.

And for a long time I wondered why I hated the original trilogy so much. Cause it obviously wasn't the universe or the mythos that I hated...it was the actual tech and how they looked that bugged me. Even as a kid.

So would I like a remake of the original trilogy? Absolutely. Just keep Lucas the hell away from it. The man is certifiable.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm a remake then would need to feature the original cast of episode I-III - with new actors it would be silly.

Now the question is, would these actors actually play their "older" role again and who would play the kids etc.

Personally I was very unhappy with the cast of Mr. Skywalker in Episode 2 and 3, happy with Padme and Obi wan - a movie dies or lives by the cast, the story is not that important.

You can have the best story but not fitting actors or just wrongly placed ones, will ruin your movie.

Gladiator is a movie with not really a good plot, but the actors just rock. Matrix has a wonderfull story, but the actors dont work for many people :(

Ofc my personal opinion, feel free to discuss ;)

Unfortunately all the star wars movies are terrible, including the originals. The only reason they're tolerable is because they're afforded the grace of age. Take that away from them and put the extremely boring teen actors of this generation in them and you'll ruin even that.

Frankly I want Guy Ritche to direct a Star Wars film on the Smuggler/Bounty Hunter lifestyle.

Brilliant. I love this idea. Can we get this green lighted asap please? I would totally pay ten bucks to watch this. It goes without saying that Vinnie Jones would have to be one of the smugglers/bounty hunters. Maybe even get Alan Ford (Bricktop) in on a cameo long enough to point out to someone at a relevant juncture that "You're always gonna have trouble disposing of bodies. I hear the best thing to do is just throw them in a Sarlaac pit and be done with it, but you only find those way out on Tatooine, and you don't wanna have to go trudging all the way out to the #$% end of the galaxy just to get rid of a corpse do ya?"

All those spinning back flips make you a good cheerleader I guess, but when you are in a sword fight taking your eyes of your enemy for a split second equals instant death.

Absolutely. This is why there are no Miraluka Jedi.

Wait...

You see, the part you are missing is that Jedi/Sith fighting is based heavily on short-precognition. You absolutely need to see what your opponent is doing

You just don't need to use your eyes to do it.

Remember the scene in Ep 4 with Luke practicing against the drone? His eyes are covered. Obi Wan was teaching him how to see his opponent without using his eyes. That's the whole point. The greatest advantage a Jedi would have in a sword (lightsaber) battle is that they could use all the crazy methods to generate speed or bizarre angles of attack because they are supposed to be predicting (quite literally) the motions of their opponent. Leaving an opening is fine if you've already seen that the opponent won't be in a position to exploit it.

Luke and Vader's fight was the only realistic fight in the entire series. All the oriental "martial arts" look nice...but there is a reason Europe dominated china.

First: No.

Second: China/Mongolia dominated European armies up to the 16th century, when they simply ceased political control over lands near Europe. When Mongolia was spreading its empire, it only stopped because there was no profit in it, or because cultural obligations (in particular: the death of a leader) was more important than putting down the European armies.

Third: Europe only dominated China when Britain exploited the drug trade to cripple the culture. These tactics were absolutely non-martial and regarded by pretty much everyone to be immoral and shameful to modern sensibilities.

There is a reason the cage fighters concentrate on boxing and greko-roman wrestling. All the flipping around, twirling ninja stuff, and ultra-light swords will get you insta-dead when you meet a broadsword.

Yes, but the whole point is that a lightsaber mixes the speed and accuracy of an ultra-light sword with the blocking and defense of a broadsword.

The difference between the sword fighting in Ep 4-6 and Ep 1-3 was that for Ep 1-3, they had actual sword masters help design the fights based on the abilities of the swords they were using.

Brilliant. I love this idea. Can we get this green lighted asap please? I would totally pay ten bucks to watch this. It goes without saying that Vinnie Jones would have to be one of the smugglers/bounty hunters. Maybe even get Alan Ford (Bricktop) in on a cameo long enough to point out to someone at a relevant juncture that "You're always gonna have trouble disposing of bodies. I hear the best thing to do is just throw them in a Sarlaac pit and be done with it, but you only find those way out on Tatooine, and you don't wanna have to go trudging all the way out to the #$% end of the galaxy just to get rid of a corpse do ya?"

LOL you win the thread

The special edition re-releases of the original 3 movies sucked.

They sucked big.

Why? because he overdid adding in pointless CGI crap. His directing style has gone to hell since he did the first three movies (he even once said "A special effect without a story isn't worthwhile"). Now he is all about the special effects, its the only selling point they keep vomiting in regards to the prequels.

I would love a re-release of unaltered versions of the original three, maybe even a few graphical touchups, but NO reshoots and NO additional scenes. Hell, get rid of the scenes they added to the latest versions, they detract from the story.

You don't see such kind of class acting and filming anymore, it all drowns into movie effects.

Sure the technology, effects and saber fights could use some loving, but overall I think it would jsut go to Hell with a remake.

CGI just doesn't know how to make good acting.

You don't see such kind of class acting and filming anymore, it all drowns into movie effects.

Okay.

I love the original trilogy. The movies were great... for what they were. However, I occasionally choke when people make comments like this.

The story behind A New Hope was great. Sure, it was derivative, but it was good and well executed. The special effects were innovative, mostly in that they managed a quality that matched other movies with a much smaller budget. The cinematography was decent, but not innovative. It was purposefully non-innovative (short of special effects), and again, that actually helped give it a style. But the acting?

Sorry, but the acting was just mediocre to acceptable. Peter Cushing did quite well, I feel. A little stiff, but it became iconic. Sir Alec Guiness did well with what he was given, but he was quite outspoken about the fact that he felt the rest of the people around him were not of his caliber. Mark Hammill has cracked jokes about his acting in the movie. As an adult, I watch it and find it occasionally groan-worthy --and I'm not the sort of person who really cares about flawless acting. I spent my college career watching the SciFi channel.

I'm not saying the movie sucked. I liked it, but my rose colored glasses aren't so thick that I believe the acting was part of it.

I Hope they never do.

The main advantage they had for the originals over the newer ones was the lack of CGI forced them to actually interesting, immersive sets. The newer SW movies lacked that for the most part, relying on some twit with a computer instead of actual sets and costumes.

A remake might as well just be boiled down to 100% CGi like the clone wars cartoons. Its what they should have gone ahead and done with I II and III anyway just to keep it all computer generated instead of just 80%.

I do realize some folks love that.. I'm just not one of them. I loved the real sets, the models, the ACTORS in COSTUMES playing the aliens (even Jabba) rather than the CGI crap that permates the world now days. It just made it seem all the more real.

If they want to do a remake? remake I II and III into the likeness of their predecessors. At least then they might be worth watching.

Third: Europe only dominated China when Britain exploited the drug trade to cripple the culture. These tactics were absolutely non-martial and regarded by pretty much everyone to be immoral and shameful to modern sensibilities.

The Chinese Emperor didn't leave them much choice. It was illegal to trade with the Europeans, so the only thing they could actually perofrm any sort of trading with, was opium.

Not to forget that if it wasn't for Britain, there'd be no Hong Kong as it we know it. Britain made Hong Kong.

Yes, but the whole point is that a lightsaber mixes the speed and accuracy of an ultra-light sword with the blocking and defense of a broadsword.

The difference between the sword fighting in Ep 4-6 and Ep 1-3 was that for Ep 1-3, they had actual sword masters help design the fights based on the abilities of the swords they were using.

Can't remember the name of the fight choreographer for the originals, but he spoke about what Lucas wanted lightsaber combat to look like at the time. He was also an olympic fencer and fight choreographer in films for fifty years.

It began as something that required the combatants to always use both hands, as though the hilts were actually heavy. Behind the scenes pictures show Guiness and Prowse mock fencing while using one hand, and also with both hands.

They were also meant to be closer to the fighting style associated with samurai swords.

When doing the choreography for Empire, it changed so that the weapons were closer to how we know them today, light enough to use in one hand.

This was to show a progression of Luke's proficiency with a lightsaber, and to allow Vader to appear far stronger both physically and in skill. It worked.

Combined with the advances made in special effects by ILM, it allowed them to have a better range of movements for the choreography, even throwing in Luke's kick to Vader that knocked him off the top of the carbon freeze platform.

In Jedi, further tech advances and changes to choreography showed that Luke could match Vader, who had been so far undefeated by anyone (remember, before the prequels were made).

The end of their battle climaxing in showing how Vader was caught off guard by such a furious onslaught from Luke, and leaving him unable to recover from it to the point that it cost him his hand, in the same way that it had cost Luke's hand in their previous battle.

On a side note, I think Anakin's final fight against Dooku should have shown Anakin's attacks as being more anger fuelled, so that it mirrored the end of Luke & Vader's duel in Jedi. They really just seemed too choreographed and controlled, as did most of the fights throughout the prequels, except for about half of Obi-Wan vs Anakin.

The thing that really sets the lightsaber combat apart in the two trilogies, is twirling of sabers.

Pointless flashy filler movements that are only there to look cool, which were finally taken to their extreme silliness in RoTS, especially when the only real reason for doing anything like that during a one-on-one confrontation would be to reorient your weapon for bringing as much force to bare in an emergency. Which doesn't apply to a sword whose blade has no weight.

:EDIT:

Found him, Robert Anderson

Edited by Fyurii

1) Yeah. I admit that some older scenes are kinda... Jerky and jarring. The Tauntauns are clearly stop-motion and it just... Doesn't have the same effect. The cost of new effects (Such as the like used to make Tintin) would be a LOAD of cash though. Would they make it back? Maybe...

Personally... I prefer the older special effects like those of the Death Star trench run. The explosions are real. The ships are real (Albeit models). The effects just aren't the same level of realism in episode 1-3. Though... The technology used to make Avatar would help... But we come back to the animals looking just that bit off and unnatural.

There's something to be said about how real a set that's PHYSICALLY BUILT looks vs CGI. The things that physically exist look that much better... But CGI has caught up a lot.

2) The battles make sense. Vader's slow and sloppy attacks are because he's 85% machine. And not even good machine... His legs are from load lifter droids, meaning that it's a tad hard to leap about in. He can't move his neck around because of his bionic lungs, making flips all the much harder... AND THEN we see he's had cybernetic augmentation on his spine (In episode 6, when lit up by lightning). He's a zombie of a man kept alive by heavy, yet fragile machinery.

The others? Kenobi is an old man, and not as spry as he used to be... And Luke has no clue how to fight using the 'styles' of combat as trained by the Jedi in episode 1-3. He just used it like a sword. Which admittedly worked well against Vader's restricted style.

3) Actors... I'm not... Totally keen on actors. Personally, I don't think there are many 'great' actors anymore... And most BIG roles are given to popular stars (Unlike the original Star Wars' cast of unknown people to play Luke, Leia and others with big name roles for Kenobi, Tarkin and such)

I dunno. Maybe give McGregor some age effects to make Kenobi look old enough. The same effects used to make CLU in Tron: legacy could work for Luke, Leia and Han. Otherwise, the title characters are interchangeable. Robert Downey Jr would make a good Tarkin or Moff.

I dunno. Maybe if it was made not as a reboot or a remake, but a different styling. Using different designs for Storm-troopers, Vader, The death star... Taking cues from the originals, but trying to be an alternate version.

That said, if it were made, I'd see it, buy the toys, buy the games, etc. Because.