My first ever rage quit

I was trying to tell the tank how to tank Bonethrasher

You sir are the example of why people tend to rage quit halfway through an op...

Seriously why are you participating a hard mode operation when you haven't even done the story mode to figure out the basic mechanics?? As someone said above bonethrasher is untauntable and that mechanic is in any mode, also he is by far the easiest boss encounter in the op and the HM fight isn't much different to the SM mode.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I missing something? You don't tank Bonethrasher. He's untankable.

I'm guessing he might have meant Foreman Crusher...at least I frequently get their names mixed up, which is why I just refer to Bonethrasher as the first boss.

I'm normally pretty mature and sensible and polite, but we all have our breaking point. 15 minutes solid of being insulted in chat was mine :mad:

Hard to believe someone could be that upset over /winning/ a piece of gear!

Edited by NoFishing

I had to rage quit a storymode Foundry last night...

Conversation went like this:

tank: hi never been put as a tank before might need extra heals

me: do you have tank gear?

tank: i don't know

me: do you have taunts?

tank: no im not tank spec

me: you can uncheck yourself as a tank before queueing if you aren't a tank. i don't think we can do this without a tank

tank: i'm the tank

me: but you said you're not a tank

tank: let's go

*tank proceeds to not hold agro on the first trash fight and I immediately die*

tank: NEED HEALS

After I was rezzed I stuck with it all the way up til HK. On the way there the tank was lecturing me about the foundry's mechanics and telling me "not to draw agro" and "don't get one shot by HK or we're all screwed." I told him healers draw agro by default so he needs to get them off of me, which was met by "I'm not tank spec." I also told him the only way I could get oneshot on HK is if he bugs, so to make sure to kill all the adds when they spawn and stop attacking HK, since lots of people seem to agree that not killing the adds tends to sometimes cause HK to bug outside of the core (not to mention having 4 adds to deal with when he's released instead of 2).

I'm sure everyone can guess what happened. DPS and tank are all on HK all the time. They would kill one DPS while still hitting HK and ignore the other one completely. I stunned it, and it was still up when the next one spawned. I stunned it too, and the first one came off stun. So, I was being shot nonstop and having to repeatedly chainheal myself while repeatedly going "adds?? Kill the adds???" in group.

Even so, I was keeping the group up despite being DPSed the whole way through... and then, guess what! They suddenly get 4 adds spawned and HK gets stuck outside the core and oneshots a DPS. I die shortly after from the FOUR ADDS shooting me. Tank proceeds to freak out in group about how he told me not to draw agro and die since I'm the healer. Oh, and he's one of those people that repeatedly begs for heals during a fight. "HEAL ME" "DYING HELP" "HEAL PLEASE"

I just left... I was too tired and didn't want a ban over what I was thinking at the time.

Edited by Beltane

I've been mostly lucky so far with pugs. I haven't had a really bad group yet in this game. Though now that I say that I probably will soon. :p Also, since we can't see other people's damage, I'm less inclined to inspect people to see if they're properly geared. So I may have had people like that but not realized it.

The thing that I found funny about the original post is that out of all the bosses, they got the Fabricator on the first try. That's *usually* the part where people get stuck.

I did a Story Mode via Group Finder once and quit after the sevenths wipe on towers before first boss in EV, from that moment on I never do any SM OPS without at least 5-6 players that I know from guild or other places. As everyone in guild needs to run it we normally do it twice every week so everyone can get the coms on mains and main alts. Pugging Operations can work sometimes, but it normally costs more then it pays off.

I did a Story Mode via Group Finder once and quit after the sevenths wipe on towers before first boss in EV, from that moment on I never do any SM OPS without at least 5-6 players that I know from guild or other places. As everyone in guild needs to run it we normally do it twice every week so everyone can get the coms on mains and main alts. Pugging Operations can work sometimes, but it normally costs more then it pays off.

I remember my second or third time of doing EV, just after the first lot of "dogs" before gharg there's a small cliff thing that has a lava pool at the bottom with a lot more dogs down there. The person in front decides to go down there and the rest of the group immediately follows him like sheep leaving 5-6 of the group stuck down there and either dying from the lava damage or the dogs.

After half the group rage quits and whoever was down there to get back up I was made leader and decided to requeue from gharg only for the other three left in the group to rush onto gharg to try to take him on themselves...

After a massive facepalm I then quit.

I think I've only done 1 SM OPS on the GF as I usually don't have the patience to wait for it to pop..

But for HM FP I use it quite a bit.. I started out trying to be patient and teach people the mechanics and a bit about their class etc.. But after SO many wipes, and people just being completely clueless no matter what you tell them, I simply got tired of it.

Someone can STILL say it's their first time in the HM, and they need to know the difference.. Fair enough.. But if people say they have never been there before and show up in levelling greens, I just say have fun and quit.. Especially if it's the tank (which it usually is)..

I think the worst is probably Lost Island HM.. Sometimes it's a gear issue, sometimes it's simply a player issue.. I've had rediculously overgeared people in there that had 0 idea what was going on around them.. For some reason the first miniboss in there weeds the weak people from the strong, so if we wipe on that even once, it's goodbye from me..

Yes he hits hard, but I have both a healer and a tank toon, so I know exactly what it takes to down him.. So I just know that if the tank dies here, we won't make it through without a serious repair bill..

The other day I had a fun one.. I was in my fresh healer that was mostly columi, some recruit and BM chest.. I had healed LI HM before, and I had healed my guild in EC and TFB as well, plus I have a full campaign geared healer of a different type as well, so I do know how to play.. The rest of the team were in mostly augmented BH gear.

We wiped time and time again, but crawled through the FP and ended up at the final boss.. The tank was adamant that he had done it all many times before, but still he insisted on taking all the charges from the "I have a trick" phases EVERY time even though I told him it was what was wiping us.. So I finally ended up just leaving.

The fun part though, was that all three other members through the whole FP were writing whispers to me about how bad the other ones were and how it was annoying they cost us wipes.. All 3! :)..

TL, DR.. If people are clueless, they get no chance any longer from me.. I just leave without a word.. Easier for everyone..

I think the worst is probably Lost Island HM.. Sometimes it's a gear issue, sometimes it's simply a player issue.. I've had rediculously overgeared people in there that had 0 idea what was going on around them.. For some reason the first miniboss in there weeds the weak people from the strong, so if we wipe on that even once, it's goodbye from me..

Yes he hits hard, but I have both a healer and a tank toon, so I know exactly what it takes to down him.. So I just know that if the tank dies here, we won't make it through without a serious repair bill..

I pug LI a few times a week on my tank. I die to the Shaclaw nearly every time, not causing a wipe, I just die when he's almost dead. Almost never wipe, or die, anywhere else in the flashpoint. I've cleared it dozens of times and played every role.

The acid he spits, that does the 5k damage ticks, is completely invisible for me and has been since 1.4.

So saying "If the tank dies here we're ****ed" is, my opinion, pretty wrong. The tank dies in that fight, a lot. The acid does so much damage and is literally invisible for me.

Edited by Taiketo

I pug LI a few times a week on my tank. I die to the Shaclaw nearly every time, not causing a wipe, I just die when he's almost dead. Almost never wipe, or die, anywhere else in the flashpoint. I've cleared it dozens of times and played every role.

The acid he spits, that does the 5k damage ticks, is completely invisible for me and has been since 1.4.

So saying "If the tank dies here we're ****ed" is, my opinion, pretty wrong. The tank dies in that fight, a lot. The acid does so much damage and is literally invisible for me.

Fair enough, if the group wipes then.. A tank dying in the final seconds is not too uncommon, you're right.. But it really shouldn't happen.. My pretty average geared Vanguard has yet to die on him (rakata/columi), even a fresh 50 Commando healer in levelling greens healed me through it..

Edited by theblaznee

all these stories are very entertaining. major props to all with patience.

i remember the first time i ran LI as a healer (first time i actually got through the entire FP as well)...our melee DPS has level 48 mods in his gear, and at the second boss fight, he had a habit of dropping orbs right on top of the tank. we wiped many times because we just couldn't kill the boss fast enough due to the dps being in subpar gear and the tank dying to lightning balls faster than i could heal. eventually, that guy had to go, and we got someone else who understood the fight and was better geared.

then there was the time where i tanked LI for the first time. we got to the final boss without much problem, but when he exploded into a giant rakghoul, we would always wipe due to the dps not dpsing him down fast enough. our sage dps made a few remarks about that. eventually, after a few wipes, he had to go, so we picked up another dps. i really should have inspected that first guy. the new dude was far better, and we killed the boss without a problem.

and then...there was the last time i ran LI as a dps. the boss after the droid...the one that hops up onto the pipes and you have to channel the terminals to get him to drop back down. our first fight with him, the tank ran from terminal to terminal instead of just sticking to his assigned one. the healer and i are like, "dude.....what?" and we wipe cause the boss just sat up on the pipes and spat us to death. the tank says, "you're supposed to click on the terminals one at a time when he's on the pipes." the funny thing was that the other dps was new to this HM, so we had given clear instructions on what to do before the fight even started.

Tank gear is irrelevant for Shaclaw fight, though, because what kills you, the poison, can't be mitigated, and is going to kill you in roughly the same number of hits whether you have 20k hp or 25k hp.

You can avoid the satchel charges in the Lorrick fight in a number of ways. I personally run around him to the left. The charges come out in conal sweep in front of Lorrick, starting from his left to his right. If you move to the left you'll dodge them all. I just run in a circle around him. Other people like to LOS him behind the tanks, but I find this is extremely difficult on the dps and healer.

Assassin tanks can also force shroud (it does not get rid of the bombs, it just negates the damage) when they're about to explode.

I remember one run of LI where I was on my tank but geared and specced for DPS. The actual tank just absolutely would not even attempt to avoid the bombs, and the healer could not or would not heal him through 4 explosions. After a few wipes caused by this, I decided to taunt Lorrick during the bomb phase. Avoided every bomb and we finally cleared it.

Just run in a circle to the left. As the tank, you'll never eat bombs that way.

Edited by Taiketo

Can totally agree with this! As a healer myself, I can also add that usually healers are the first to be blamed when things aren't going right..."hey, why didn't I stay alive?! L2P...I was dead without even getting a heal." I don't consider myself the best healer, but I understand the game and how to heal effectively...I've solo healed KP HM with a pug (other healer disconnected and never returned), so I know what I'm doing out there.

My best encounter of this was when healing for HM Lost Island and we couldn't get past the first (half) boss standing before the bridge....after wiping like four times and being called out by the tank for not getting enough heals, I looked at his armor only to notice that he was in DPS Guardian Recruit gear and was also in the DPS stance -___-

To the OP, I agree with the above commenters, I would have left long before that as well.

Personally I've had quite a mix of issues using group finder, either tanks specced for DPS and in DPS gear or Sorcs / Operatives specced as DPS and queuing as healers. Anymore for a FP, I will try to stick with it and work through, but if I'm going to PUG an operation, I'll look at the gear specifically on the tanks and healers and decide. If I see something I don't like I will bow out as gracefully as possible, but I don't suffer massive repair bills for anything other than guild and friend related operations. I have rage quit a few times normally using either the "my guild needs something urgently" or "my 3 year old needs something". I've tried not to get on too many ignore lists, though I'm sure that I'm on a few.

I know to not take things seriously in a game, its meant to be fun, not a job, i personally like to learn as i go when it comes to group content, its more fun that way for me, if i am told what to do, what will happen before i experience it first hand, its like playing a murder mystery game or movie and just as i start, someone tells me who the killer is and why they did it....it just ruins it for me.

I always learn quick in group encounters, like on stay on the bridge like area on Esseles when fighting the boss droid....you can get knocked off the edge....which was funny as hell when it happend to me, but lesson learned, i never repeated it, unless it was one of those fun runs where you find all sorts of ways to get killed.

I have encountered those types of groups on other mmos and it can get quite annoying, but then again, i am not the type that expects 100% perfection on every run, i learnt that, it is impossible to get those types of runs unless you do runs with the EXACT same people every single time and you all know your stuff, but if you know the outcome (you never will lose) i tend to lose interest and only do the stuff again if a friend needs to do it.

Eh I quit a FP the other day when a undergeared lowbie marauder kept agroing mobs I was going around, not ninjaing past, mobs that were way out of the way, I asked them not to as I wasnt going to kill everything in the FP and he said something along the lines of "im not fking going back for them" I dont know what that was about (I was assassin tank btw)

The next FP (d7) had 2 people who were in sub par gear who had never done it before, took it slow, talked them through, cleared all mobs in path in case of wiping and needing to come back. It wasnt fast but was smooth, the merc healer did a sterling job (one of the lowbies) and did better than many BH geared healers I come across in the groupfinder.

Im more than happy to help new people through, and sit while they watch the cut scenes and help gear them up, but being rude and acting outside of your remit and making the group work harder for an asinine reason is a no no for me.

To the OP, I agree with the above commenters, I would have left long before that as well.

Personally I've had quite a mix of issues using group finder, either tanks specced for DPS and in DPS gear or Sorcs / Operatives specced as DPS and queuing as healers. Anymore for a FP, I will try to stick with it and work through, but if I'm going to PUG an operation, I'll look at the gear specifically on the tanks and healers and decide. If I see something I don't like I will bow out as gracefully as possible, but I don't suffer massive repair bills for anything other than guild and friend related operations. I have rage quit a few times normally using either the "my guild needs something urgently" or "my 3 year old needs something". I've tried not to get on too many ignore lists, though I'm sure that I'm on a few.

Then you are doing something wrong, I am far from a good tank, I do everything I can to avoid it, my gear is DPS, my spec is DPS (Deception) but have tanked LI and story mode EC in said gear and spec only throwing on a shield and tank stance. Its very hard to judge, I recall looking down my nose at some guy with 13k health and crappy gear who rocked the OP we were in, people surprise you, some of the worst players I have ever come across have been the best geared.

then you are doing something wrong, i am far from a good tank, i do everything i can to avoid it, my gear is dps, my spec is dps (deception) but have tanked li and story mode ec in said gear and spec only throwing on a shield and tank stance. Its very hard to judge, i recall looking down my nose at some guy with 13k health and crappy gear who rocked the op we were in, people surprise you, some of the worst players i have ever come across have been the best geared.

this ^

yea KP trash packs are very very stressful in story mode pugs, dont think i have ever had a run where we didnt wipe at each pack.

personally it goes alot smoother with a PT tank (like i have) and grapple the mobs away from the others to stop the noobs breaking the CC with AoE damage.

We wiped time and time again, but crawled through the FP and ended up at the final boss.. The tank was adamant that he had done it all many times before, but still he insisted on taking all the charges from the "I have a trick" phases EVERY time even though I told him it was what was wiping us.

That's funny, when I PuG LI on my healer, I actually ask the tank to just eat the charges rather than dodge them. Even though it requires some focused healing on the tank at that point, I find that better than risking spreading them around to the DPS. But I also expect the DPS to not stand in poison and require a lot of cleansing....if a DPS get's more than 5 stacks over the entire fight, I consider them to be a fail.

Now my guild tanks can dodge them and not take a single one, which kinda makes me sad because then I have nothing to do but help DPS.

if a DPS get's more than 5 stacks over the entire fight, I consider them to be a fail.#

That also depends how the tank moves, mdps have to stand behind lorrick which means that if the tank doesn't move fast enough the dps get the debuff.

Had one tank before who tried to face him against a wall in stage 1 rather than kite him despite everyone nearly raging at him in chat to keep him moving. Even after clearly explaining to said tank on how to kite him and go anti clockwise around the room to each kolto tank he still tried to tank him against a wall and not bother moving him, not only bad because of the debuff but it means dps can't get to kolto tanks in time.

I have never done a rage quit. Only in LI our random group failed sometimes, but then the whole group left the FP as we came to the conlusion we can't make it in the current team setup.

The funniest thing I ever had was in an operation with some randoms. We played Denova SM and had a lot of fun, though I wondered why no one did a rage quit. :D The tank one heal and one DD were funny and made a lot of jokes and did not concentrated on the game. So basically every mob was pulled and usually then when no one expected. When we reached the mine field for example one of our team started accidentionally the boss encounter when no one was ready and some people did not even got explained how it works, as they have never had played Denova before. It was the most chaotic operation I have ever played. In addition the main tank suggested to not use any CC as this is more fun. He told us something like "CC is against my religion!" ;) Of course this made things not easier but as most players had quite decent gear it was possible, as it was only SM. So many funny things and of course some wipes happened until we won the OP. Nevertheless it was probably the funniest OP I have ever played. :D

Personally I've had quite a mix of issues using group finder, either tanks specced for DPS and in DPS gear or Sorcs / Operatives specced as DPS and queuing as healers. Anymore for a FP, I will try to stick with it and work through, but if I'm going to PUG an operation, I'll look at the gear specifically on the tanks and healers and decide. If I see something I don't like I will bow out as gracefully as possible, but I don't suffer massive repair bills for anything other than guild and friend related operations..
I do the same although the repair bills are not the issue. The problem is that it is usually not possible to finish operations and also LI if the players have not chars with the right skills for their role. I know this because I also sometimes list as a heal in FPs if I can not find a group as DD for a longer time. In FPs beside LI this works with sufficient gear and if the other players do not have very weak gear. For OPs I do not think this is possible as important skills are missing.