Tython lovers side quest *obvious spoilers*

Pietrastor

So, what did you all do? :) I told them to totally go for it and supported them and lied to the Masters, even though my Shadow is almost 100% light side otherwise. I don't actually even agree with 'love' option being labeled as Dark. I mean, does it even have to be mentioned what the entire "Jedi need to be celibate" thingy references to in real life and how the real life proved that it's just a recipe for a disaster?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that love doesn't lead to the dark side and that attachments or if your very close to them and can't handle the death of a love one does. kind of like Anakin from episode 2, he was not ready to let go and that made him angry and kill off those sand people. Of course that is just me. Edited by PowerJediRanger

Ratted them out, of course. Monks do well enough with vows of celibacy. Also, Jedi aren't required to be celibate. They do not allow attachment (one-night stands are a-ok). Primarily because of how the Force works - persistent, strong emotions fuel and attract the Dark Side, which, in turn, warps the user's mind and effs them up royal.

Jedi are disciplined warriors and mystics, not glowstick-brandishing dreamy teens. If you train as a Jedi, you train as a Jedi. It's a long, hard path of sacrifice. If Jedi training is not for you, feel free to leave (it's not the Empire that executes all Force-sensitives who refuse to train as Sith - but I'm not sure if ending up as Guss Tuno is any better than this alternative).

Edited by Helig

One of the strangest things about this whole Jedi romance thing, I mean they're basically an order of mind readers. Wouldn't they KNOW?

Probably the best option is the one where everyone acts like an adult capable of resolving their own problems and you go talk the two into cooling things off, since one of them was kinda starting to go a little "kill everyone who finds out to hide the relationship" and that needs to be sorted, do some soul searching, you know. You get both light side and dark side points for that so it balances out.

But, unfortunately, it didn't make sense for any of my characters to take that option - see again the masters are thought police. :(

What are they even doing getting another Master's padawan to do their dirty work? There appears to be a derth of trainers and masters on Tython who give their students any oversight and most of them seem to take their lesson plans from fortune cookies.

Edited by Bytemite

Probably the best option is the one where you lie to the masters and then go talk the two into cooling things off, since one of them was kinda starting to go a little "kill everyone who finds out to hide the relationship" and that needs to be sorted, do some soul searching, you know. You get both light side and dark side points for that so it balances out.

You don't let *that* kind of thing "cool off". You let that chill in a single-person cell and some intense counselling.

Edited by Helig

Well, she agrees to cool it off from what I understand so she wasn't that far gone. Just needs time to reassess her priorities.

She's a Force-sensitive. Her mind is a weapon that can be driven insane by a cosmic power of chaos and destruction. A Dark Force-user can say a lot of things to ensure that they are not discovered.

Again, she AGREED to cool it off. It's nice to see people sort out their own problems with reason before they go crazy psycho.

Besides, like I said, I didn't TAKE that option.

Edited by Bytemite

I have taken different options with different characters. I've once told the masters about them, once helped them to get the crystal, once helped them but let them to end the relationship themselves and once helped them and told them that they should continue. Interesting quest altogether, I like doing this one.

Again, she AGREED to cool it off. It's nice to see people sort out their own problems with reason before they go crazy psycho.

Besides, like I said, I didn't TAKE that option.

It's even nicer to contact someone obviously more experienced and qualified to help sort this stuff out.

It's even nicer to contact someone obviously more experienced and qualified to help sort this stuff out.

I'm sure that the Jedi Masters, with their wealth of personal experience in romantic entanglements and attachments, would be infinitely wise in dealing with the issue as opposed to irrational and reactionary.

Which is more likely to result in angry resentful darkside behaviour?

1) "The masters won't let us be together! They're forcing us apart! How could they do this to us!"

2) "You know, that other padawan has some good points. Maybe we should stop this whole relationship cheating the Jedi Code thing. It might ruin our lives and it's kinda messing with my head and judgement."

Edited by Bytemite

I'm sure that the Jedi Masters, with their wealth of personal experience in romantic entanglements and attachments, would be infinitely wise in dealing with the issue as opposed to irrational and reactionary.

Which is more likely to result in angry resentful darkside behaviour?

1) "The masters won't let us be together! They're forcing us apart! How could they do this to us!"

2) "You know, that other padawan has some good points. Maybe we should stop this whole relationship cheating the Jedi Code thing. It might ruin our lives and it's kinda messing with my head and judgement."

A mature person always has better judgement. Most teens, by definition, do not. Especially those two. Besides, I sincerely doubt that the masters would just pull them apart, cage them, forcefully separate them. Simply not the Jedi way. People who do worse than break the Jedi code are treated with more dignity. They'll likely put them under intense supervision, counselling, provide them with ways to switch their focus to something that is more useful and constructive than hormone toxiсosis.

The usual "Oh, they're monks, they know nothing about love/sex/whatever, they're just envious because their wee-wee no longer works" nonsense is wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG. Don Juan, despite his rich romantic life, was nowhere near mature about romance and love. On the other hand, you can perfectly manage as long as you know how to understand other people, and, more importantly, yourself - and this skill is much better acquired on the broad, vast oceans of life. I am a pretty late-bloomer myself when it comes to romantic life. I had no time for this nonsense. Studies, work, training. Experience, basically. When I finally got together with the young woman that I am with now she, despite being several heads above me in this sort of experience, told me how surprisingly mature I was in this kind of thing.

Besides, it's not early pregnancy that they're worried about. It's murder and mayhem. The Jedi have the full right to err on the side of caution, because if their student snaps, the damage inflicted by them will be their responsibility, because it was they who trained them to use the Force. Knight and Consular stories on Tyhon illustrate fairly well what happens to individuals warped by the Dark Side.

The Knight's enemy was at an advanced stage, and his ambition was to kill every single Jedi on Tython because he was butt-sore. The Consular's enemy was only starting to lose it - and he already had little regard for the lives of his fellow tribesmen that he was sworn to protect (studied the Dark Side for that purpose), and when he finally snapped his goal was conquest of Tython and genocide of Flesh Raiders.

Edited by Helig

One of the strangest things about this whole Jedi romance thing, I mean they're basically an order of mind readers. Wouldn't they KNOW?

Hmm? That's the first I've heard of that - sure, some author somewhere probably gave one of his Jedi telepathy, but even then it'd be far from standard (if it exists at all).

Kira even fools someone into thinking she can do it at some point and then basically laughs at them for believing her and calls them an idiot. :p

I think most Jedi, or at least the Masters possess a form of Empathy, Yoda's "Young Skywalker is in terrible pain" comment from the movies being an example of it - but that's far from Telepathy.

On topic; I've done all of the options so far across my various alts, except telling them to stop the relationship - I'll have to explore that one if I ever make a new Knight. :D

Hmm? That's the first I've heard of that - sure, some author somewhere probably gave one of his Jedi telepathy, but even then it'd be far from standard (if it exists at all).

Kira even fools someone into thinking she can do it at some point and then basically laughs at them for believing her and calls them an idiot. :p

I think most Jedi, or at least the Masters possess a form of Empathy, Yoda's "Young Skywalker is in terrible pain" comment from the movies being an example of it - but that's far from Telepathy.

On topic; I've done all of the options so far across my various alts, except telling them to stop the relationship - I'll have to explore that one if I ever make a new Knight. :D

Kira is a Padawan grunt, though.

But yeah, telepathy is more of an exception rather than the rule. However, empathy is just as potent. Once you know they're lying you can pry it out of them.

Edited by Helig

Whenever I RP a Jedi, I go a more "grey" approach. But I always, and I mean always, use a certain argument for love. If the Jedi must protect the people, then they are more willing to protect and fight for what they love. If they can love a single person, then they will love all that that single person stands for. If they stand for the Republic and innocents, then you will fight for them, the Republic, and innocents.

I don't mind the romance, in fact I'd encourage them on it, but I turned them in for one reason: The girl had all the signs of being this generation's Anakin. Both were called "ideal" students, and excellent Jedi. But the girl basically says she'll kill you if you tell the Masters. Yeah, that's not emotion, that's obsession. Give them a few weeks apart, let them start meeting again, and then let them see if they still want each other. If they do, then they can have at it for all I care if they don't threaten me again, please.

It was different on different characters, some I said to go for it, some not. I am in the Jolee Bindo and Satele Shan camp. I think it's ridiculous for jedi to not be able to be in a romance just like I think it's ridiculous for the real life organization that they took it from.

A mature person always has better judgement.

I dunno, when I was a kid I knew some adults who were idiots.

forcefully separate them. Simply not the Jedi way.

That's pretty much what the Masters said they would have to do. Force them to choose between renouncing their relationship and agree to not go near each other, or leave the order.

The usual "Oh, they're monks, they know nothing about love/sex/whatever, they're just envious because their wee-wee no longer works" nonsense is wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG.

I said nothing about envy, and nothing about their parts not working. I said that there's reasons to think, based on their comments, that they were behaving in a reactionary way, and also every reason to believe that they don't have a mature outlook on relationships or even the realities of most people.

I'm actually asexual, and I know full well that I'm in no place to give advice or talk people through their romantic problems. It's a patently absurd assertion that somehow without having the necessary life experience someone becomes an expert on certain issues by virtue of what age they are.

Where the Jedi fail is that they don't provide people the tools to solve their own problems and avoid the pitfalls, they just flat out ban everything that scares them.

I can't say to the quality of the advice that the Jedi player characters might have offered in this situation, but giving people an alternative point of view that allows them to rethink things before they venture too far down the wrong path to me will always be preferable to telling someone they have to defer to authority no matter what. Following a rule without understanding a rule inevitably leads to rule breaking.

Edited by Bytemite

They can feel that Young Skywalker is in terrible pain, but they can't tell he's flushed with hormones or that he's having un-Jedi-like feelings and engaging in un-Jedi-like behaviour?

I honestly have no idea how anyone manages to keep something like that secret in the order. You'd think that everyone around could feel if a couple was having some heightened emotions time. Which you'd think would also kinda put a damper on things, unless there's some really kinky Jedi out there.

Edited by Bytemite

They can feel that Young Skywalker is in terrible pain, but they can't tell he's flushed with hormones or that he's having un-Jedi-like feelings and engaging in un-Jedi-like behaviour?

I honestly have no idea how anyone manages to keep something like that secret in the order. You'd think that everyone around could feel if a couple was having some heightened emotions time. Which you'd think would also kinda put a damper on things, unless there's some really kinky Jedi out there.

The other silly thing is "Oh hey! No relationships if you want to be a Jedi. But you should totally have training if your force sensitive! You know, so you don't learn on your own...and then...kill lots of people...maybe even other Jedi...wait a minute..."

Well on my Sage and Shadow I reported them. On my Sentinel I let them go their own way. I mean it would be quite hypocritical of me to report them while my Sentinel is having a grand time with Doc :D And yes earning Dark Side points along the way. Edited by SandsOfArrakis

They are not completely dissimilar from the Sith as they would have people believe.

Failing the trials of the Jedi Order and You basically become a lifelong prisoner of the order (force sensitive? too bad for you lol!!) serving in some menial capacity for the rest of your life, knowing you are neither good enough to be a Jedi nor allowed to make it anywhere else.

However, this can be avoided if you are

A) Already a Jedi,

B) Your master covers for you. or

C) powerful.

For B - And the Jedi Order becomes yet another good ol boys' club where WHO you know is better than WHAT you know. Case in point: Go full darkside on Tython and while you are admonished for being an epic douche, you get the job done and are promoted, much in part due to your master vouching for you.

For A and C - See: countless Jedi who have gone nuts and yet were welcomed into the order with open arms. Let's see, Tol Braga was admitted back [if you go that route] and worse of all the Jedi Master actually trIES to recruit SITH LORDS.

So basically, your chances of becoming a Jedi are better if you are a murdering Sith Lord who has a change of heart than if you are raised in the order and simply have a harder-than-average time of it.

It's a train wreck. I wish i could have told the couple that if they really wanted to be Jedi, go join the Sith and defect later, their odds were way better.