Why do crew missions change?

XaddaX

Ok this has been really bothering me. I need gemstones, so I go to send companions out to get them, and all my treasure hunting options are gifts and lockboxes.

Seriously, ***? Why would this even be part of the deal and is there a way to get the materials I need without hoping the missions I need are available when I need them?

You can purchase (single use) missions from the GTN. Other than that you can reset your list of missions by:

- Logging out and logging back in

- Entering or leaving your ship

- Zoning in or out of a flashpoint (handy for lowbies who don't have a ship)

I'd suspect it's on the list of upcoming changes. I mean - it's simply an RNG frustration - not interesting gameplay - to need a metal mission and have none (or a low-yield moderate) available. At least you can circumvent the RNG slightly with multiple logins, but seriously, bleah. :p

You can purchase (single use) missions from the GTN. Other than that you can reset your list of missions by:

Please don't give false information, entering or leaving your ship does not reset your missions.

Please don't give false information, entering or leaving your ship does not reset your missions.

I use that method quite often while doing the last 2 tiers of slicing missions. I send Mako out for the abundant lvl 50 which is Data Race I think - and then send the next companion out for the lvl 49 abundant/rich one. Sometimes there won't be another abundant or rich mission available so I zone in my ship and check - send next companion - zone out - check - send next companion. If that's not working then I'm not sure what you call that. Granted, it's not fun gameplay, but it does work.

Edited by Akella

I had no idea! Thanks for the tips, I find the limited missions frustrating as well.

I had to chime in on here as well as this just recently capped my patience level... Bioware needs to fix this. I don't need FIVE companion gift missions on high level Crew Skills.

Although i appreciate the information from those who've posted, didn't know logging would reset... why should i have to login/logout, enter flashpoints, enter ships, etc etc. Its a complete and total waste of of money, especially in high level missions to have to send the crew out to do missions for other stuff just to get the mats in the list that i need to craft something. Since it sometimes takes up to 30 of one item to RE that item into a purple, you can blast through a stack of Mats pretty quickly. I'll leave that RE'ing cluster for another time/thread.

If i Want Artifact Fragments i shouldn't have to send three crew members out for Power Crystals, just so i can get one Artifact the next go round then have the log fill up with 5 color crystals...

Who was the Brainchild behind that set of code??? :(

Edited by AmunRae

I had to chime in on here as well as this just recently capped my patience level... Bioware needs to fix this. I don't need FIVE companion gift missions on high level Crew Skills.

This above all else bothers me the most. Not having the missions I need right off the bat is one thing; I am willing to do other materials missions to get the material mission I need because I always need materials and what I don't need can usually sell on the GTN. However, having all missions be the same thing, for something that I don't need (or have an overabundance of already) is worse.

• 3 months later...

You should follow your own advice. It *does* work...

Well a few months later and this still hasn't been addressed. Of all my crafters, I found this to be the most annoying with Diplomacy. Not only do you have to wait through the normal RNG to find the right mission TYPE, but then you have a 50/50 chance on top of that to get either the light side or dark side, depending on which you're after. It was EXTREMELY frustrating (read: not fun) trying to get the medical supplies I needed to level up my biochem. I ended up blowing a fortune on GTN mats, because the way it's currently set up, I wouldn't have been able to learn the recipes I needed for each level range in time for my character to benefit from them.

That's really the biggest problem. It's extremely difficult to learn the recipes as you need them. It takes so long to get the mats (both time wasted trying to get the missions you need, and the unnecessarily excessive length of time missions take to complete at higher tiers) to practice recipes that you frequently will out-level the item you are trying to make before you can make it. It should be possible to get the recipes you need at the same time you can actually use them.

Leveling up my 5th character now, and I'm trying my best to work ahead of my actual level - in other words, REing for recipes well in advance of when I can actually use them, but it's not working out that well. I still frequently catch up to and pass the level of the item I am still trying to research.

I think the randomness coupled with the unnecessarily excessive availability of certain mission types, along with the ridiculous length of time needed to get the necessary mats (40+ minutes for 3 or 4 mats, which often isn't even enough for a single attempt?) make crafting unnecessarily tedious, and makes it very difficult to benefit the character being leveled up as he or she levels up.

This becomes more and more apparent the higher level you get as missions start approaching the 1 hour mark in duration. It can take you an entire day of game play just to learn a single recipe (if you're lucky). That might benefit your alts eventually, but not so much for the character with the crafting skill.

Wait, the missions you buy on the GTN are single use only?! I just paid 50k for a level 340 underworld trading mission and have been waiting for it to pop up again on my rotation. I could have just bought the mats I needed cheaper..... :-\