Gunslinger Advanced Class guide

GalnarDegana

Howdy, folks! Good guide, but I have a few questions in terms of leveling specs. I will understand the class better as I play, of course, it just helps to hear from experience. I still don't have a rotation down though I suppose that will depend on my ability point choices. So my general question:

This build was identified as a viable PvE in this guide, however the OP suggests that the Dirty Tricks tree might be better due to the CC capabilities. Does anyone have experienced leveling with DT?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leveling in Dirty Fighting is certainly possible. I leveled all the way with this build if I remember correctly. This isn't the best build though, and I would do it differently.

That build that you linked is a good build (f I do say so myself), but it is more for Operations and Flashpoints where there are long sustained fights. It really isn't for soloing and leveling.

If I were to give you a build to level in, I would recommend this one.

It has a balance between survivability and AoE damage. Both of these are very useful doing landscape quests.

Hope this helps!

He has some interesting builds and info on that site. I'm thinking of going back to SS for pvp, using a modified version of his Focused Sharpshooter build. I'm going to run it this way for a while, and see how it does.

Thanks! :) (it's my site lol)

That is a great looking build, fantastic for pre-50 PvP. I enjoy Dirty Fighting or Saboteur for PvP now at 50, because the armor values scaled really well for Juggernauts and Bounty Hunters, making them much harder to kill with straight up energy damage like in SS.

The changes made to Warzones made my "Focused Sharpshooter Build" a little obsolete, and I would change certain talents like the extended time on Vital Shot's bleed. While I would take that for a Dirty Fighting build, I wouldn't take it for a SS build now that DoTs don't prevent caps in Warzones.

I definitely like that one you put, because it has some great debuffs and all of the good Sharpshooter talents. The final Tier 7 SS talent isn't great for PvP because you stay still for too long (and I see you left it off, just agreeing with you).

/off-topic...

I'm really p*ssed... just received a mail from the swtor support that my name "Starbuckz" is violating the copyright.... I have to change my name.

A name that I used in sooo many online games I cant even count but of course in SWTOR I'm not allowed to use it?!

Guess I will quit it, thanks guys.

I had a fun time with you.

Thanks! :) (it's my site lol)

That is a great looking build, fantastic for pre-50 PvP. I enjoy Dirty Fighting or Saboteur for PvP now at 50, because the armor values scaled really well for Juggernauts and Bounty Hunters, making them much harder to kill with straight up energy damage like in SS.

I definitely like that one you put, because it has some great debuffs and all of the good Sharpshooter talents. The final Tier 7 SS talent isn't great for PvP because you stay still for too long (and I see you left it off, just agreeing with you).

Thanks! I'm going to run it at 50, at least for the next 2 days to get a feel for it before trying the new 1.2 specs out.

That stinks, man -- we'll miss you.

Edited by jsalemi

/off-topic...

I'm really p*ssed... just received a mail from the swtor support that my name "Starbuckz" is violating the copyright.... I have to change my name.

A name that I used in sooo many online games I cant even count but of course in SWTOR I'm not allowed to use it?!

No way! Don't leave! Why can't you just change your name? (It is dumb by the way, as that isn't their name, it is spelled with an "s" at the end lol)

/off-topic...

Let's just put all the blame on imps for that - and destroy them even more in 1.2 :p

Early report on the SS build I posted yesterday -- my overall damage is down, but kills and medals are up, and I feel way more useful in wzs. I was able to solo defend a node in Civil War against 2 imps long enough for backup to arrive last night, which I wasn't able to do with the DF build. I suspect my damage will go up as my "muscle memory" re-adapts to the SS rotation. Edited by jsalemi

Starbuckz is now known as Aerilon... won't explain the origin of that or else I guess I will lose that one too.

When 1.2 is live in a few hours I will go pure DF as long as I can and will post my first impressions tomorrow then...

No ranked wz's .... sucks...

oookay folks hear what I have to say!

The DF spec hasn't changed at all, all points remain where they were pre 1.2.

Like this.

Regarding gameplay... It's so ****in awesome! Now there is not a single reason why someone should take SS over DF lol.

I can easily take on a healer 1on1 even when they cleanse muahahaha.

It feels really great. Energy management got so much easier.

Some facts on increased damage:

- hemo blast spam whenever it is ready!

- wounding shots usable on EVERY target even when they try to cleanse

- lower energy consumption allows us to add another skill to our rotation... speed shot!

(use it directly after sab charge + wounding shots = uuuber burst)

- use flourish shot as often as you can

It just goes boom :D Well speaking for myself I'm really happy with the new patch :)

Edit: Will try hybrid today and see what it's capable of.

I don't think hot pursuit is worth to be taken 'cause it's actually not stronger than FoB tbh.

In addition it's only 6 secs and only occurs once in 20 secs. Useless.

Edited by Riiquiem

I can only back up up Req, full DF spec is awesome now... was tops in 7 of the 8 played WZ´s we did yesterday in a group

Remember those annoying Sith Sorc spamming Lightening, running behind a pillar and trying to heal... if they run at 20% they die on dots no matter what. Quite funny to watch

I was wondering about what relicts are better for DF spec... right now I got the matrix cube and a surge/crit one. Since the expertise changed and is so much better now, is it worth replacing the cube and get alacrity (BH and sorcs spam their spells now under 1s... I was critted away in under 5s yesterday xD) or AP or maybe another surge/crit (not sure if they stack on CD)?

Tech Chance I am at 33% due to the changes to equip, which feels enough right now.

Have been running with the same full DF spec and I'm amazed how easier it is to manage energy now. I was very surprised the first time I ran out of energy because Cool Head was already off CD! And that's with the low 30s crit. I guess with the crit closer to 40 it's even better now.

I can only back up up Req, full DF spec is awesome now... was tops in 7 of the 8 played WZ´s we did yesterday in a group

Remember those annoying Sith Sorc spamming Lightening, running behind a pillar and trying to heal... if they run at 20% they die on dots no matter what. Quite funny to watch

I was wondering about what relicts are better for DF spec... right now I got the matrix cube and a surge/crit one. Since the expertise changed and is so much better now, is it worth replacing the cube and get alacrity (BH and sorcs spam their spells now under 1s... I was critted away in under 5s yesterday xD) or AP or maybe another surge/crit (not sure if they stack on CD)?

Tech Chance I am at 33% due to the changes to equip, which feels enough right now.

Damn, this makes me wanna really try DF! :D I use a standard SS build to great effect in PvE and also PvP.

If I switch up to DF, what sort of performance difference will i see in Operations? Thanks!

How come I can't put up as much damage with full DF as you guys :( : (

I'm Valor 47...is that why?

I think I'm not using flurry enough. I realize even if damage is lower than everything else, it is free and adds up over time. Also I get tunnel vision on killing people with burst sometimes...need to stop that.

Also I pop cover fairly frequently. This is to mitigate damge and interrupts mostly. I'll get into cover, DoT and move on. My wounding shots and XS flyby get interrupted pretty frequently if not. However the best DF videos I watch they are NEVER in cover. I'm contemplating unbinding it from my F key and forcing myself to run around.

Edited by ptriz

The 300k - 400k come out with with at least full Champion and some BM gear... if your crit rate is not at around 30% and Surge below 70% forget the high numbers... as with all, its gear dependant and once you have it you will see those numbers too.. mind you the DF spec is no burst spec, as has been written many times already

oookay folks hear what I have to say!

The DF spec hasn't changed at all, all points remain where they were pre 1.2.

Like this.

Regarding gameplay... It's so ****in awesome! Now there is not a single reason why someone should take SS over DF lol.

I can easily take on a healer 1on1 even when they cleanse muahahaha.

It feels really great. Energy management got so much easier.

Some facts on increased damage:

- hemo blast spam whenever it is ready!

- wounding shots usable on EVERY target even when they try to cleanse

- lower energy consumption allows us to add another skill to our rotation... speed shot!

(use it directly after sab charge + wounding shots = uuuber burst)

- use flourish shot as often as you can

It just goes boom :D Well speaking for myself I'm really happy with the new patch :)

Edit: Will try hybrid today and see what it's capable of.

I don't think hot pursuit is worth to be taken 'cause it's actually not stronger than FoB tbh.

In addition it's only 6 secs and only occurs once in 20 secs. Useless.

For that spec there what type of rotation are you using, i'm finally getting back to playing my gunslinger after a lengthy time of playing my sith juggy (yes i am coming back to the good side again :) )

Hey, I'm mostly an Imp player, I have a Sniper, but I saw this thread and I thought I'd throw something in.

Post 1.2, I don't have that much info on Sharpshooter/Marksmanship as it is a fairly straightforward and easy-to-use spec.

DF/Lethality is probaly the to-go spec, both in PvP and PvE, as it gives the same amount of dps as SS/Marksmanship without clustering you to that cover. Cover is still viable of course, and use it whenever you can, but your dps won't get entirely crippled out of cover while in a DF/Leth. spec. This spec also grants you the highest burst: pop up your DoTs, Explosive Probe/Sabotage Charge, Cull/Wounding Shots and watch how you'll nearly equal the burst of a Pyro PT/Assault Vanguard (----> Currently considered to be the highest possible burst in the game). Also don't forget that this spec is heavily reliant on DoTs, which pretty much neutralizes Flash Grenade or mezz abilities of other team members in the middle of a fight.

However if you're looking for something more than just pure, naked dps, I highly recommend to try out Saboteur/Engineering. Of all specs, this one requires the most skill to play properly as the possibilities are endless. Increased defensive abilites, as well to yourself as to your team (Ballistic Shield/Scrambling Field), highest AOE damage, best DoT and completely no energy problems at all. I'm currently experimenting a lot with this spec, as I said before, the rotation possibilities are endless.

And now, post-1.2, skills like Hot Pursuit/Calculated Pursuit, Incendiary Grenade/Plasma Probe and EMP Discharge/Sabotage make this the most versatile, but also most complicated, tree to play. In PvP, your overall utility (defending nodes and doors) will be much higher than DF/Lethality, as the only thing you can bring to your group there is just pure, naked dps (not to be underestimated, nonetheless!).

Edited by Mormoz

Remember when I said I'm gonna publish a pvp guide? well... I still want to but I just can't.

I'm getting ***** in pvp now more than ever before, empire is quite crowded with warriors on my server and I'm just a snack....

Don't think I will be able to post some actually helpful tips/guides thingy until I adept to the blood bath in wzs....

maybe we could use a group chat or irc or anything like that? I don't think I can pull this off alone regarding how I'm doing in pvp atm.

Edit: well in hybrid df/sab you don't reach "nice try" ... or hemo blast so actually there has nothing changed from pre 1.2 to now.

Hot pursuit is useless and the IG stun not reachable also.

Guess hybrid isn't worth to be taken anymore.

Will try full sab now...

Edited by Riiquiem

DF/Sab is working very well. wounding shots on top of full dots with the additional charges exploding from each wounding shot blast, all while feeding me 5 energy per? ya, its good. also you get another dot in sab... you know you want another dot. They also buffed this dot to come off cooldown when your target dies with it still on them. Is good ya?

The last couple talents in DF dont seem as useful. why do i care if my dots tick more at 30%? that's what Quickdraw is for. Hemorrhaging blast is pretty awesome, but ill take 4 sequential sabotage charges that feed me energy any day.

Edited by Wudi-wan