Is a security key worth the hassle?

DormantX

Hacking is a common threat in the MMO world today and authenticators are another way to prevent possible loss. Depends a lot on how you'll feel the day you log in to see your account stripped bare and your level 50 toon deleted. If the game is just a game and you look at this as the chance to reroll and play your favorite toon up "right" this time, then it's not worth it.

The way they implement it will have some impact as well. Originally you had to have the key fob with you every time you logged into WoW. Kinda annoying since I liked to leave my fob with my keys upstairs when I got home at night. Later, they cached your machine IP so as long as you were using the same connection it would remember that you were authenticated for many days at a time.

For me, I will be buying an authenticator because I value my characters and gear and I like to packrat large amounts of junk in my banks. The one time I was hacked a friend spotted me online and called me to ask what was up so we caught it fast and Blizz was on the ball about replacing my stuff but it was still a royal pain. Not something I ever want to go through again and I can skip a burger and fries to make that happen without too much trouble.

It was probably the alakazham network. But during vanilla, you basically needed to use alakazham. It was one of the only item/boss databases.

You needed to use it?

Wow, I must have been doing something wrong. I was getting all of my information from playing the game. :p

There's no such thing as getting "hacked"

You think hackers out there are randomly targeting IP addresses for account information?

Laughable.

If your account was compromised then you were dumb enough to

A: Download a trojan / keylogger

or

B: Enter your password on a phishing site.

Stop spreading false information. This is absolutely wrong, and you'll find out when you're finally hacked for not taking advantage of an authenticator add-on.

Stop spreading false information. This is absolutely wrong, and you'll find out when you're finally hacked for not taking advantage of an authenticator add-on.

So do you have any evidence?

You are absolutely wrong. Stop spreading false Information through fear. See I can do it too.

I've been playing MMO's since EQ1 and have never ever had my account compromised, I had every mod from Wow imaginable as well.

Never been "hacked'.

Stop giving your password out to strangers and clicking on sexy girl links and see what happens.

It is a good idea to have one, probably, but I probably won't get one for a while. My WOW account got hacked a couple of times, so I decided to get theirs. I paid for it, but never received it, then my account got hacked again, WITH the authenticator. They didn't really get much for their efforts, but it did take me almost three weeks to get it straightened out and get my account back. Not that I actually think the same thing would happen with BioWare, but I'm going to wait a while before I get one.

As soon as I saw it was available for purchase, I bought it. For $4.00 and $6 odd shipping, it's a VERY cheap price to pay for added account security, and semi peace of mind.

Given that just recently while on the CNN website my Antivirus and Firewall (separate distinct programs by two different manufacturers) triggered on one of their adds.... you can even be on a 'trusted' site and find yourself arguing with a Virus or Trojan. Consrv.dll (the little beasty that tried to nom my puter) is a pita to remove, even when it didn't have the chance to do a full install before my AV and Firewall nattered at me about it.... and I update EVERYTHING (AV, Firewall and Windows) daily, and update drivers every cpl weeks at most usually.

So yeah.. well worth the small expense for the added safety.

~Saitada

In the computer security field, this is refer to as 2-factor authentication. #1 being your login and password. Many here have stated things like accident, phishing, keylogging can defeat it readily. #2 being a security key that ties to your account and generates a key code each time you press the button. Without a way to mimic the algorithm or bypass this layer, this makes it much harder to defeat.

While there are always ways to defeat security, the more layers there are, the harder it gets. So it is a good to have.

I was hacked in EQ 1 like 14 years ago, WoW, EQ 2, and most recently RIFT. If These authenticators work and only cost 7$ It would be nice to include them in every store copy. Also make every Digital download require phone access. I really hate gold farmers especially when they send you tells 10x a day. I swear in RIFT my ignore list must have been 100000 long! I ordered one its 7$ its like the cost of a pack of smokes or a Happy meal!

Yeah, speaking of that guy--I came across him in the beta. I read through this thread and was convinced to get one, so I just ordered my own. It'll take 5-7 days to get here. The line in the description, at least on the origin site, says to get it now to be able to have access to the vender. Does that mean you have to provide proof of key ownership BEFORE launch, or can I still get access to him if I don't get my key till the 21st?

I wonder what it must be like, to live in this mythical world of super-hackers that are conquering all these various accounts. While I don't deny the possibility it can happen, I most certainly doubt the veracity of most claims about it.

Keyloggers? Absolutely they work, I found one on my PC once and saw the info in it. I rapidly made changes to all affected and important sites. This, however, is not account hacking. This was you giving them your password.

If your password is so ridiculously easy that it got 'hacked', at random, with you having done nothing whatsoever in any situation to warrant being targeted or revealing clues to said password, then I figure you kinda got what you deserved. Stupidity should be painful, and a too-easy password? That's stupid. I'll accept that this counts as being hacked, though.

Falling for those e-mails that have redirect links and want your passwords? That's not hacking, that's you (random you end-user) being stupid. See above.

Will I be getting a fob for the game? Well, yes. Even bought one for my roommate. Because we're worried about security? No, it's just a game. Our passwords are also suitably complex. No, we're getting them because we couldn't lock down the CE in our area, everyplace was sold out or had no idea what we were talking about. We want an extra vendor to play with, just for kicks.

For those few people who have taken solid precautions and truly suffered when having done nothing wrong, I do feel sorry for you, but I can only imagine the headache you've dealt with. It just seems too implausible.

I've been hacked once in WoW, months after I quit. The hackers actually reactivated the account. Found out from Blizzard, who allowed me to log back in and grab all my stuff back from the mailbox. Funny thing was, the hacker never got any of my gold, as he never bothered to check my level 2 character that was my auction house toon (who had over 3k on him). Found i funny because he went through the trouble of looking 5-100 gold off of each of my 30-50 level alts. I think put a mobile ap on my phone and it hasn't happened since. Not sure how it happened. The only thing I could think of is that I did download a lot of addons from Curse.com, might of picked up a keylogger there. I pre-ordered the CE, and intend on linking my account on the 20th. Edited by bladorthin

Played MMo's for a long time, am a security advisor for a firm so yes I know all about all the possibilites, my WoW was hacked, 2 years AFTER I stopped playing (!), since then I have the android key generator and my battle.net is secure. I hadn't touched it, nor done anything remotely to do with WoW for those 2 years. (and I doubt JtzWo5Kr9w is an easy to hack password... it was unique to WoW as well o.O)

The best part was Blizzard not being able to reinstate my account to its pre-hacked condition, everything was deleted... thanks Blizz!

Hacking can happen, it doesn't matter how, the validator is a pretty good way to stop it in its tracks, the security questions are pretty useless in the long run.

I grabbed the Authenticator app on my Android for WoW and never thought of it as a hassle. It does take 5-10 extra seconds, but well worth the satisfaction knowing I wasn't gonna get hacked. When Rift came out, I was all over it when that app was avail aswell and I will most deff do the same for Sw:tor.

Another security measure I liked was the Coin Lock feature from Rift. Any time it would see you log on and detect you at a different IP addy, it would lock all trading, selling, spending, or deleting and of your items, until a generated code was entered in game, sent to you via e-mail.

I like both methods, but have to lean towards Authenticator app when it becomes available. Coin Lock is great, IF they don't have your e-mail hacked aswell.

Played MMo's for a long time, am a security advisor for a firm so yes I know all about all the possibilites, my WoW was hacked, 2 years AFTER I stopped playing (!), since then I have the android key generator and my battle.net is secure. I hadn't touched it, nor done anything remotely to do with WoW for those 2 years. (and I doubt JtzWo5Kr9w is an easy to hack password... it was unique to WoW as well o.O)

The best part was Blizzard not being able to reinstate my account to its pre-hacked condition, everything was deleted... thanks Blizz!

Hacking can happen, it doesn't matter how, the validator is a pretty good way to stop it in its tracks, the security questions are pretty useless in the long run.

Yeah, despite what most people say (It's always your fault), sometimes it just happens, regardless of how careful you've been.

I've been revenge hacked and lost everything on my wow account and also another time there was a Java ad that installed a keylogger without any real way to know and without even clicking the ad itself. That one got me too.

I have a unique email / PW for every mmo I play, I never get any phish emails to them, I scan nightly for virus's and I don't share with anyone.