Do you ever regret your decisions?

DataBeaver

I've gone through five and a half planets, and probably well over a hundred quests. In a few of them, I've selected conversation choices that I've later come to regret (but not soon enough to press esc / reset the quest and try again). Intellectually I know that most of the choices are not recorded anywhere, and even light/dark side points are just two faceless numbers, but emotionally it gnaws at me. It's my story, and I want it to be perfect. But rerolling the character at this point would mean three weeks of lost effort, so I just have to live with it.

Do you ever get similar feelings?

Yep.

I regret trying to min-max my LS/DS or my companion affection instead of playing like I would like my character to be : it was stupid (since, at 50, I do not use relics with LS/DS requirements anyway) and now that my toon is 50 I feel like I dit quite a few choices at odds with its story background, making me less and less fond of my character.

No, because I know that if I want to grind companion affection or DS/LD points, I can run through Black Talon or Esseles a few times. Doing it early enough, I can even farm Social points by doing them in groups.

The conversations then become about what I want my character to say, not what my companion or my alignment dictate.

Ya, I bought the collectors edition hoping for some nice perks, but only got a small vendor that sells nothing usef...

Oh, wait...conversation choices.

Ya, I've regretted a few before I found out about Esc out of the convo. I'd regret fewer choices, though, if the sample text weren't so misleading

Random NPC: So, do you think you could do this quest for me?

PC:

1) Sure, no problem. (I promise to do this no matter the cost my love...or die trying) :sy_lightside:

2) If I get around to it. (How about I just shoot you and take all your money) :sy_darkside:

3) I'm a little busy. (Wrong time for talking. I'm going to kill you just for asking) :sy_darkside:

Seriously, I'm kinda tired of picking a convo choice, only for my character to say something completely off. I pretty much have to run through every conversation several times making sure I pick the option that gives me want I actually want to say, regardless of LS/DS/Companion.

I did at first, when I thought my actions might mean something. Once I realized how formulated the game was and how linear the stories are I lost that emotional attachment to my choices. There are few consequences for any choice and those with consequences are usually blatently obvious so the player knows what would happen before they make the choice.

At least in KotOR some of your choices could drastically change your adventure. Which made every choice more meaningful.

In this game it doesn't matter if I kill or save someone. I'll just get a letter in the mail with a couple thousand credits and a lovely note about how big a help I've been or how big a problem I've been. Multiple-ending story telling at its finest!

Edited by WBTronix

Sorta, first thing that comes to mind is in one story quest on taris, I'm a Dark-sided sith assassin, and there is a part where you speak to a Jedi, APPARENTLY, I did the wrong dialogue (I could have just gotten +50 DS points with a bolt of lightning, but I thought I'd be pushing my luck), I ended up with ALL THREE OPTIONS ON THE WHEEL OFFERING LIGHTSIDE POINTS! I spazzed, then took a breath, and just accepted the +100 light sides.

The problem was, it was right after a very hard boss fight, and I didn't wanna reset.

I've gone through five and a half planets, and probably well over a hundred quests. In a few of them, I've selected conversation choices that I've later come to regret (but not soon enough to press esc / reset the quest and try again). Intellectually I know that most of the choices are not recorded anywhere, and even light/dark side points are just two faceless numbers, but emotionally it gnaws at me. It's my story, and I want it to be perfect. But rerolling the character at this point would mean three weeks of lost effort, so I just have to live with it.

Do you ever get similar feelings?

This is an MMORPG. If you do not reroll to try other choices, you're not getting all you can out of the game.

Don't regret. Think of it as an opportunity to explore more stuff later. ;)

Oh yes, I do. Due to my conversation choices....

SPOILER AHEAD FOR THE REPUBLIC TROOPER STORYLINE! SERIOUSLY!

Commander Tavus died :rak_frown:

Hopefully my color choice hides it some against the background for anyone who doesn't want to see it. And that's not even the only thing that I regret.

Edited by MagesKickass

This is an MMORPG. If you do not reroll to try other choices, you're not getting all you can out of the game.

Don't regret. Think of it as an opportunity to explore more stuff later. ;)

Oh, I'm certainly going to make more characters to experience the different storylines, and perhaps even variations of the ones I've already played. That's somewhat different from deleting the existing character and creating it again for changing only a few choices.

There's a

tag for that, no need to play with colors.

Oh yes, I do. Due to my conversation choices....

Commander Tavus died :rak_frown:

Hopefully my color choice hides it some against the background for anyone who doesn't want to see it. And that's not even the only thing that I regret.

There are spoiler tags, simply put the text of spoiler between brackets [ ] to hide text instead of changing the color.

I did at first, when I thought my actions might mean something. Once I realized how formulated the game was and how linear the stories are I lost that emotional attachment to my choices. There are few consequences for any choice and those with consequences are usually blatently obvious so the player knows what would happen before they make the choice.

At least in KotOR some of your choices could drastically change your adventure. Which made every choice more meaningful.

In this game it doesn't matter if I kill or save someone. I'll just get a letter in the mail with a couple thousand credits and a lovely note about how big a help I've been or how big a problem I've been. Multiple-ending story telling at its finest!

Yea, I hear you, man. Whatever happened to all that serious dev talk that went something like this, "Choices matter. If you kill the Captain in the flashpoint, dont be surprised 10-20 levels down the road if his family comes looking for you for revenge."

Well I killed that Captain like a dozen times and I have yet to see any magical family member hunt my character down and attempt to kill him. Choices matter, my butt.

Sorta, first thing that comes to mind is in one story quest on taris, I'm a Dark-sided sith assassin, and there is a part where you speak to a Jedi, APPARENTLY, I did the wrong dialogue (I could have just gotten +50 DS points with a bolt of lightning, but I thought I'd be pushing my luck), I ended up with ALL THREE OPTIONS ON THE WHEEL OFFERING LIGHTSIDE POINTS! I spazzed, then took a breath, and just accepted the +100 light sides.

The problem was, it was right after a very hard boss fight, and I didn't wanna reset.

So why didn't you hit esc and talk to the "quest giver" (or whatever it is) again? xD

• 4 years later...

Yes

- The choice I regret the most was to recruit Skadge at KOTFE (since he is a total scum).

- Yes, sometimes I press Esc to re-select the choice too.

- It may be a little bit unrelated but I feel really bad when I accidentally kill some of the "peaceful weak yellow named enemy". Anyone feel the same?

- It may be a little bit unrelated but I feel really bad when I accidentally kill some of the "peaceful weak yellow named enemy". Anyone feel the same?

Not normally. My Jedi might, I suppose, but I'm not normally that kind of careless.

My Sith characters, on the other hand, will occasionally go around slaughtering yellows just for the fun of it. (Although that actually started when I managed to include a couple of them in the area of effect of Smash without really meaning to.)

• 2 weeks later...

All the time, the conversation wheel pisses me off more than anything in any Bioware game. I prefer reading the entirety of what I will say and not the shortened abbreviated version.

Worst thing Bioware ever did was conversation wheel.

Edited by nhsknudsen