'The Secret War' not progressing.

Nothematic

I started the mission by clicking the broken terminal thing and then entered a group finder pop for Kuat Drive Yards before I did the cutscene with the starfighter companions. I finished the flashpoint, went back, did the cutscene and got the mission to queue for KDY in the group finder. Did that, popped, ran the flashpoint again, finished and the quest didn't progress.

Is it because this quest is linked to the group finder daily award (which I therefore already had completed?)

I started the mission by clicking the broken terminal thing and then entered a group finder pop for Kuat Drive Yards before I did the cutscene with the starfighter companions. I finished the flashpoint, went back, did the cutscene and got the mission to queue for KDY in the group finder. Did that, popped, ran the flashpoint again, finished and the quest didn't progress.

Is it because this quest is linked to the group finder daily award (which I therefore already had completed?)

I noticed the same thing for this initiation mission on my Commando and Pyrotech.

This is not updating I speak to the Admiral and after the convo it's the same.

I finally got the quest to complete after the conversation with Imp and Pub Admirals. It seems that you have to initiate the group conversation not just join it, in order for it to complete. Definitely a bug.

There should be an easy workaround. You don't need to actually do the FP to complete the mission. Just talk to the Admiral. So, while solo, enter the instance and talk to the Admiral. You'll get rewarded and you can leave.

Sure it's a bit sleazy to promise her that you'll help, swipe the reward, and then bail, but that's Imperial ethics for you.

But the problem is that you can't enter solo until you reach level 55.

That is incorrect, but the workaround is irritating. If you are < lvl 55, you can queue for the FP and start it as normal. If the quest doesn't complete, just Exit Area and quit the group, but DO NOT abandon the quest; you should be able to enter the FP (by yourself) and do the cut scene and complete the mission. At this point, you can exit again and abandon the mission (and use GF to hop back into queue). It's probably polite to let your group know that you are bailing on them if you do this.

The lvl 55 restriction is to talk with the quest giver to get the quest; when you use GF, it gives you the quest directly. SWTOR does not check for level when entering the FP.

Also, I didn't have an opportunity to try, but you may not need to quit group; you may be able to just exit area and re-enter and get the convo yourself and then continue with your original group. This may be nicer than just bailing, if it works.