How much surge should i go?

Deadbladey

the amount of surge needed to get 5% is a waste, especially since those stat points can be sorted into more acc if needed or crit/power

IIRC it takes about 261 surge to hit 75% which can be easily attained in 5 pieces (51x2, 53x3) leaving you more than enough to wiggle room to stack other stats. Since accuracy, crit, and power all can be had on the same enhancement as surge, stacking those stats in other ways shouldn't be a problem. IE Accuracy+crit, crit+surge, power+surge, accuracy+power. If youre using a more tech or force heavy build, you can get away with having less accuracy as you have a 100% chance of hitting with them (unless it is absorbed, resisted, etc). Depending on your build you might also be able to get away with 70% surge as some skills give crit damage boosts specific to those builds (Dark Resonance in the Rage tree for instance).

Personal preferences vary but I tend to go with 30-35% crit (buffed), 75% surge, while stacking power (at least 700 on all 4 geared toons) and very little accuracy (150-200). Mind you I haven't completely tweaked each toons gear so this will change.

Surge is a secondary stat to power and accuracy (up to 100%). Basically I like to get at 100% accuracy (I get this by using enhancements with 53 accuracy / 41 power) and then the rest goes to power/surge enhancements (41 power/53 surge). Your mods should always be either 64 str / 12 power or better, 51 str / 39 power. You want every mod / enhance to have power on it basically, with enough acc/pow enhances to get to 100% acc, and then just use power/surge enhances.

There are unfortunately now crit/power enhances (pretty sure these would own all others up to crit soft cap), so you only get 2 viable options, therefore the gearing is straightforward.

• 2 weeks later...
Surge is a secondary stat to power and accuracy (up to 100%). Basically I like to get at 100% accuracy (I get this by using enhancements with 53 accuracy / 41 power) and then the rest goes to power/surge enhancements (41 power/53 surge). Your mods should always be either 64 str / 12 power or better, 51 str / 39 power. You want every mod / enhance to have power on it basically, with enough acc/pow enhances to get to 100% acc, and then just use power/surge enhances.

There are unfortunately now crit/power enhances (pretty sure these would own all others up to crit soft cap), so you only get 2 viable options, therefore the gearing is straightforward.

Surge is a secondary only to accuracy, power shares itemization with crit. This is why there is no Surge/Accuracy or Crit/Power enhancements.

I guess I should rephase what I said earlier, I don't think people were getting what I meant. Also that "now" should have been a "no" in regards to critpower enhances. For good itemization on a marauder, you have 3 options for enhancements:

Surge/Power

Accuracy/Power

Surge/Crit

There is no Crit/Power. Therefore, you simply use Accuracy/Power enhancements until you reach close to 100% accuracy. More than 100% is somewhat of a waste. With current itemization, this means you will hit roughly 99.67% accuracy, and if you add one more accuracy enhancement, you go way over.

The rest of your enhancements, once you hit that 99%+ accuracy (melee normal, meaning you have 109%+ on specials), you stack the surge/power enhancements. Having a ew Surge/Crit enhancements isn't the end of hte world, in fact the difference between stacking Surge/Power and Surge/Crit, or having a mix of the two, is quite minimal, except for Rage spec, in which Power greatly trumps crit due to smash damage being auto crits. Going for all out Surge/Power enhancements is something that you can aim for eventually, but it isn't a make/break type thing.

Hope this helps. If you want further details, I suggest you look up Megatfz's post on how to make a perfect carnage marauder.