SWTOR randomly crashing to desktop. No error mesage

roxio

Hello, was not sure if this is the right spot to put this but here it goes:

I currently play SWTOR on and off, casually. Last time I played, I could play for hours and hours and have no issues at all, but now, after updating yesterday and playing today, the game will randomly crash to the desktop not giving any errors. All my other games are working 100%, problem only with SWTOR. I am currently playing on Windows 10.

I have tried deleted the bitraider files as suggested in previous threads, and I have tried this:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Guide-quot-How-to-install-Swtor-Correctly-and-address-Windows-10/td-p/4851036

My last option is to completely re-install the game and download but I do not really fancy doing that. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hello, was not sure if this is the right spot to put this but here it goes:

I currently play SWTOR on and off, casually. Last time I played, I could play for hours and hours and have no issues at all, but now, after updating yesterday and playing today, the game will randomly crash to the desktop not giving any errors. All my other games are working 100%, problem only with SWTOR. I am currently playing on Windows 10.

I have tried deleted the bitraider files as suggested in previous threads, and I have tried this:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Guide-quot-How-to-install-Swtor-Correctly-and-address-Windows-10/td-p/4851036

My last option is to completely re-install the game and download but I do not really fancy doing that. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hello Roxio,

Windows 10 as i've said before is still "new" and in my experience is prone to issues. I would suggest downgrading back to windows 7/8/8.1.

Cheers,

AylaL

I have the same problem with Windows 10, is our windows the problem, not the game...

I am not sure what has changed tho....last month I could play fine, but now it has changed. I will try it via compatibility mode and get back if it works.

I had windows 10 and the same problem... then i changed with win 8, the game wouldn't start if i had other programs on(like skype or advanced care) so.. now i'm on windows 7, no error... the game works flawlessly. I would suggest to change to windows 7.

Been playing for about an hour now, I deactivated my antivirus (which is Avast) before I loaded the game, and turned it back on after I got in-game. Seems to have no issues now. Will update later for reference for others that have same issue as myself. Edited by roxio

Actually, if I recall, I had a few CTDs shortly after I went to Windows 10, but they stopped happening after a while. I guess the updates to the updates may have cured the problem. It's hard to tell - it seems like every other day I get an update to something. :)

In fact, if I recall, I had CTDs when I upgraded to Windows 10 with my older i5-3570K build, but then shortly afterwards I rebuilt my system as an i5-6600 ITX build, and somewhere along the way the CTDs stopped.

Btw, have you tried disabling your anti-virus?

Edited by JediQuaker

Actually, if I recall, I had a few CTDs shortly after I went to Windows 10, but they stopped happening after a while. I guess the updates to the updates may have cured the problem. It's hard to tell - it seems like every other day I get an update to something. :)

In fact, if I recall, I had CTDs when I upgraded to Windows 10 with my older i5-3570K build, but then shortly afterwards I rebuilt my system as an i5-6600 ITX build, and somewhere along the way the CTDs stopped.

Btw, have you tried disabling your anti-virus?

Yea, I have pretty much given up now =/ Been trying a few things and just cant get them to stop.

Just update, I came across a Reddit page from back in January of someone having the same issue as myself. They mentioned to turn grass effects to the lowest setting for Windows 10. Will update if it works.

EDIT: Was a long shot, but still nothing. Doing a fresh install of the game, hopefully it will work.

Edited by roxio

Just update, I came across a Reddit page from back in January of someone having the same issue as myself. They mentioned to turn grass effects to the lowest setting for Windows 10. Will update if it works.

EDIT: Was a long shot, but still nothing. Doing a fresh install of the game, hopefully it will work.

The grass thing stops blue-screen-of-death if you have NVidia graphics cards on Windows 10.

The grass thing stops blue-screen-of-death if you have NVidia graphics cards on Windows 10.

Yea thats what I have. I was told it was a memory leak issue though. Updating SWTOR, hopefully a fresh install and wasting my last day off waiting is worth it!

• 3 weeks later...
Just an update. I wanted to give it a few weeks to make sure everything was grand. A full clean install fixed this problem for me. I am just letting those that have the same problem as myself, know that it fixed it for me.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

If any of you are using a laptop, it could simply be overheating. SWTOR requires a lot of CPU and GPU and the resultant heat generated can overburden a laptop's cooling system. Try turning the graphics settings down (to produce less heat.

In any case, the problem is with your system, not SWTOR.

• 1 month later...
Exact same problem, happens very frequently, some times just minutes after re-launching the game. I have an old platform on Windows 7 but that's still no excuse, it used to run flawlessly and never crashed like that. This is extremely irritating and nothing works.