Changing Holding Mouse Button For Movement

SeaEagleone

Greetings,

if this is posted in the wrong place, I apologize in advance.

I am sorta new to forums and don't post a lot.

I need to unbind my mouse buttons for movement.

I injured my right shoulder and this makes it painful to continuously hold the mouse button down.

I am hoping some one knows how to move holding the mouse button down to a key on the keyboard.

go to keybindings under preferrences and go under movement and look for autorun it is assigned mouse button 4 but if you select it and press mouse button 3 (press the gear wheel down) and your character will run when you press the button no need to hold it down and you just have to use mouse to turn, press again to stop.

hope you feel better!:cool:

If you didn't want to use the mouse to turn, either, then WASD can also be used in place of mouse movement, with Q and E to strafe, although turning in combat isn't as easy to direct that way. Autorun for me was by default bound to Num Lock — I guess it might depend on keyboard layout.

You can do all that without unbinding the mouse buttons at all.

I am hoping some one knows how to move holding the mouse button down to a key on the keyboard.

W (as part of WASD) is already bound to "move forward" by default. You can redefine the key to anything you find more convenient in Preferences.

(WASD is a common default layout in many games - W=forward, S=back, A=left, D=right)

Note - you don't unbind the mouse button (left) when using W or some other key. It still works, and you can use either key/button.

Edited by JediQuaker

W (as part of WASD) is already bound to "move forward" by default. You can redefine the key to anything you find more convenient in Preferences.

(WASD is a common default layout in many games - W=forward, S=back, A=left, D=right)

Note - you don't unbind the mouse button (left) when using W or some other key. It still works, and you can use either key/button.

In addition to the WASD keys, you can also use the keyboard arrow keys for movement. But those probably aren't any more convenient for someone who has difficulty with using their right hand to hold the mouse buttons down.

You can also use the "autorun", so you don't have to hold down any button(s), on your mouse or keyboard, to move. Just hit it once, and then hit it again to stop.

Default key for autorun is NumLock, but you can go to the Keybinds tab in your Preferences and set it to something else if you want.

thanks for the replies. I really appreciate them.

A few years ago i threw my shoulder into a concrete floor and had to have surgery on it.

So to be more specific I want to eliminate holding the mouse button down.

I want to press the 'W' key to go forward and use the mouse to point where i want to go.

I hope this clarifies my need.

seaeagle

I want to eliminate holding the mouse button down.

I want to press the 'W' key to go forward and use the mouse to point where i want to go.

Sorry, that's not an option. You have to hold down the right mouse button to "steer" with the mouse. With no buttons pressed, moving the mouse will only move the cursor. I'm not aware of any way to change that.

You can, however, press the A or D key while holding down W to "turn" left or right, or the Q or E key to "strafe" left or right (or use those buttons to turn or strafe while you have autorun engaged).

You could use Autohotkey to map the middle button to a keyboard key.

(It's like the Force, don't use it for the dark side and you're fine.)

A script to make "Q" act like the middle button would look like this:

#UseHook
#InstallKeybdHook
#InstallMouseHook
#IfWinActive ahk_class PlayerClient

q::MButton

You can also pass trough the original key, so holding down "W" would hold both, "W" and the button (but there are situations where you want to move forward while having the mouse cursor, or turn the camera without moving forward.)

#UseHook
#InstallKeybdHook
#InstallMouseHook

~w::MButton

Finally, you can turn the middle button into a toggle and click once to switch between movement and target mode:

#UseHook
#InstallKeybdHook
#InstallMouseHook

MButton::Send % GetKeyState("MButton") ? "{Click Up M}" : "{Click Down M}"

Edited by Mubrak

If you want to be leet you might want to change where your left hand sits on your keyboard for gaming

My move forward is T, but it depends on your hand size, maybe R or Y is preferable. I strafe with R and Y, backwards is G, I turn with the mouse.

I use the mouse to move, I hold down both mouse buttons or the T button, and then being more close to the middle of your keyboard allows for a lot more easy keybinds along with easy access to ctr and shift, but not alt really.

Fat fingering the numlock key is an issue but only once in a while (toons won't stop walking...)

Autohotkey:

Numlock::return

Then you can use it just like any other hotkey and remap it to something more useful (I usually have it on a mount)

This is my first entry I use in every single game (I play with the left hand on the numpad)

As to physical alternatives for the OP: Have you talked to your therapist? Maybe just having the mouse on a lower side-table will already help?

Edited by Mubrak

Or just go to the Keybindings tab in your Preferences in game, and change autorun from numlock to ... something else. No need for any add-on software.

Sure, but the default setting to autorun is just half the problem. The key will still toggle the numpad between number and cursor functionality. If you set Numpad-8 and "up" to the same function, you can ignore Numlock's toggle, but then you can't use the actual "up" key on the cursor-block for something else.

You can of course remap or disable Numlock in the windows keyboard settings, but there it will be system-wide.

Edited by Mubrak