A contradiction

Trollokdamus

So i've just completed a Tython quest "Commune With the Light". It's about helping a random Padawan to complete his trial by moving a huge boulder with the Force. At some point his master appears and tells you that it's not possible for a mere Padawan, only the master may have enough clarity to commune with the Force in such a way.

Right, ok, it's understandable. Except when you start a new consular, in his very first cutscene you see 3 Padawans moving huge rocks with ease.

So i'd like to know where the truth is... Was the master wrong, or were those Padawans an oversight and were not supposed to do what they were doing?

It wasn't about moving the rock. The padawan's master gave him a task that he knew he specifically wasn't able to do entirely for the purpose of teaching him patience. Obviously your character does it easily, but this was a test for just that student, knowing his personal weaknesses.

It wasn't about moving the rock. The padawan's master gave him a task that he knew he specifically wasn't able to do entirely for the purpose of teaching him patience. Obviously your character does it easily, but this was a test for just that student, knowing his personal weaknesses.

^ This.

Yeah, i realize what that lesson was about. But i'm not talking about it. What i'm talking about is the master's quote: "Communing with the Force in such a way (so it lets you move boulders) is something only a Master typically has the clarity to achieve."

Also, it isn't obvious that the character does it easily. According to the master, what he did was "quite an accomplishment and highly unexpected".

Well, let's consider our options.

1) mutliple padawans working together

2) They were exceptional padawans

3) The rocks were made out of foam - it was all part of the master's plan to make his padawan think he could do it

4) The person who put in that scene wasn't the same person who wrote the Consular story and they didn't double-check for accuracy

I'm going with #3

Of course there is also the fact that in my opinion the drawn rock is way too small to be a boulder. Although size matters not, it seems students always start from small objects like pebbles.

Also like said before the test was propably tailored. Maybe the student had almost none ability in telekinesis and this was like master said, not about actually using the force, but about testing character.

Well, let's consider our options.

1) mutliple padawans working together

2) They were exceptional padawans

3) The rocks were made out of foam - it was all part of the master's plan to make his padawan think he could do it

4) The person who put in that scene wasn't the same person who wrote the Consular story and they didn't double-check for accuracy

I'm going with #3

4 sounds most likely.

It's possible the stone itself simply had special properties. After all, the sequence is "meditate at the altar, then move the stone". Granted, it's not specifically mentioned in the dialogue that only a master can move that particular stone. Then again, it's possible the altar could have some sort of adverse effect? The idea perhaps, that the meditation there actually clouds the mind, with only the most serene, or the most potent wills, able to resist its effects?

The latter seems particularly likely if it's set up as a test that someone would fail no matter what.

Edited by JLazarillo

It's possible the stone itself simply had special properties. After all, the sequence is "meditate at the altar, then move the stone". Granted, it's not specifically mentioned in the dialogue that only a master can move that particular stone. Then again, it's possible the altar could have some sort of adverse effect? The idea perhaps, that the meditation there actually clouds the mind, with only the most serene, or the most potent wills, able to resist its effects?

The latter seems particularly likely if it's set up as a test that someone would fail no matter what.

As this guy says, it's the meditation that's the trick, only a master could meditate properly in such a dangerous area. The boulder itself is not particulary special, I think, it's just a matter of strength in the force, but the meditation first, is tricky because as you relax the mind, you become more aware of the danger around you (the droids attacking everybody), noises stop being in the background, and your own doubts become more evident. All preventing meditation.

It has been suggested that the person you are helping isn't yet a padawan, this is wrong, he is a padawan, and this is part of his trials. To suggest that a trainee who has yet to master enough to become a padawan would be subjected to such a dangerous locale is slightly silly.

As this guy says, it's the meditation that's the trick, only a master could meditate properly in such a dangerous area. The boulder itself is not particulary special, I think, it's just a matter of strength in the force, but the meditation first, is tricky because as you relax the mind, you become more aware of the danger around you (the droids attacking everybody), noises stop being in the background, and your own doubts become more evident. All preventing meditation.

It has been suggested that the person you are helping isn't yet a padawan, this is wrong, he is a padawan, and this is part of his trials. To suggest that a trainee who has yet to master enough to become a padawan would be subjected to such a dangerous locale is slightly silly.

Well to be fair, they are sending out individuals to fight the Empire in slave bikinis. :p

Well to be fair, they are sending out individuals to fight the Empire in slave bikinis. :p

That’s not entirely true. Yes they are sending out individuals to fight the Empire, but the slave bikini is up to the individual.

That’s not entirely true. Yes they are sending out individuals to fight the Empire, but the slave bikini is up to the individual.

Of course it's up to the player. :p But would it really make sense that the Trooper, who is a Republic soldier, isn't being told "Yeeeeaaaah...no Soldier. That will not keep you protected."

Same with the Agent, "Yeeeah. Slave bikini totally doesn't keep attention off you master spy."

Of course it's up to the player. :p But would it really make sense that the Trooper, who is a Republic soldier, isn't being told "Yeeeeaaaah...no Soldier. That will not keep you protected."

Same with the Agent, "Yeeeah. Slave bikini totally doesn't keep attention off you master spy."

For the trooper “But Sir, this give me more freedom movement then the bulky armor”. Or the Agent “But it does attract the right kind of attention to the master spy”.:D

an off topic but I cannot resist ( ok I can, but making such comments put me into a better mood - after all forums about fictional characters rule my world and allow me to spread my own personal english grammar, or something like that ):

while jedi are picking stones,

defeating fleshblobs

cuting one derranged ex padawan

and traveling mountains to meet old woman with lekku

Siths slay monsters, fight ghosts, slay big Sithspawns and gain weapons from ancient tombs, cut thro dozens of rivals

I wonder, how in the seven heavens jedi are even able to stand against a Sith without running away, ah, this one is covered, no emotion, no fear - easy kill ( for Sith ).

after completing Korriban academy I was feeling like totally elitely elite of doom and destruction,

after Tython, well, I got a robot that made weird noises and my wonderful lunatic council told me that there is dark in the galaxy ( I wonder, how dirty their floor is if they invite so many people into council chambers )

but on topic:

1. stone was located strongly in earth/ was larger than was shown ( but they used a common rock model for it )

2. no, there is no other explanation, this big rock was supposed to be pretty big

Edited by Surinen