Need/Greed Etiquette???

Old wow players know exactly how this should work in reality but they had to change their system as more and more people started to act very selfishly.

SWTOR has companions too with different gear requirements and with the amount of f2p players numerous whom haven't played mmo before im reading quite a lot of insults over general chat and people being kicked.

I don't think the system needs changing, I would suggest every player go through ONE ONLY short etiquette class suggest how its good form to follow the simple rules of 1-only need if its an item that the character you are playing, and the role they are playing in that one group setup would want to put on immediately or once you can get an augment on 2-otherwise its a greed UNLESS you have spoken to the group quickly and they have said you are ok to need as they may wish to need under the same circumstances.

A short little etiquette tutorial would fulfil this need and then let people just do and if necessary be ignored as they will from there.

With thanks

ps, I have never experienced any problems with this myself, I did in wow, but ive read it so much I wanted to raise the point.

The worst that's happened to me is when I was the only guardian in the group, and "needed" on the guardian chest that dropped off the boss, and a SENTINEL DPS "needed" on it too, and won the loot. I literally tried to bribe her for it, but instead, she dropped the group, and put me on ignore.

Frankly the easiest way to fix this would be to make it so that you can't need on equipment you can't use.

IE, Sentinals can't need on heavy armor, Ops can't need on shields and so forth.... Or even further... If its not your classes primary stat you can't need on it. Soo no more troopers needing on strength stuff etc.

If you can't need, you can still greed, so if the guy its for doesn't need it, everyone in the group still has an equal chance to gain the item rather then a looter stealing it.

The worst that's happened to me is when I was the only guardian in the group, and "needed" on the guardian chest that dropped off the boss, and a SENTINEL DPS "needed" on it too, and won the loot. I literally tried to bribe her for it, but instead, she dropped the group, and put me on ignore.

Unless it was a tank piece, I don't see anything wrong with that. Who cares if the shell was heavy armor? Sents and guardians benefit equally from the mods.

Unless it was a tank piece, I don't see anything wrong with that. Who cares if the shell was heavy armor? Sents and guardians benefit equally from the mods.

No I disagree

Needing on a piece of gear so you can pull one enhancement out of it is in my opinion bad etiquette. The only time I would feel that would be okay is if no one else could use the piece better.

No I disagree

Needing on a piece of gear so you can pull one enhancement out of it is in my opinion bad etiquette. The only time I would feel that would be okay is if no one else could use the piece better.

If a sentinel needs in a guardian dps piece, he's not pulling out 1 enchancement, he's pulling out all the mods and putting them on medium armor.

No I disagree

How is putting the armoring, mod, and enhancement into a different piece to fill your need in that slot any different than you using the piece in that shell? If you need the gear, then click need. If you don't need it for your main set on that toon, then greed. It's not hard.

How is putting the armoring, mod, and enhancement into a different piece to fill your need in that slot any different than you using the piece in that shell? If you need the gear, then click need. If you don't need it for your main set on that toon, then greed. It's not hard.

Well in that case there would not be any wrong with it but generally what I see a lot is people needing on other classes gear and thinking it's okay to rip out 1/3 of the gear. More times than not if the heavy armor piece drops it does not have my stats.. in fact I can't remember the last time I saw in a hard mode flashpoint a piece of heavy armor drop that was perfect for my sentinel. It would have way more endurance and less power (just a example) so just to clarify I'm implying that if trooper boots drop and you are a sentinel then you have no reason to need that item. Even if the enhancement or the armoring would be useful to you unless there is no one else in the group that could benefit from them.

Edited by NEWJA

Well in that case there would not be any wrong with it but generally what I see a lot his people needing on other classes gear and thinking it's okay to rip out 1/3 of the gear. More times than not if the heavy armor piece drops it does not have my stats.. in fact I can't remember the last time I saw in a hard mode flashpoint a piece of heavy armor drop that was perfect for my sentinel. It would have way more endurance and less power (just a example) so just to clarify I'm implying that if trooper boots drop and you are a sentinel then you have no reason to need that item. Even if the enhancement or the armoring would be useful to you unless there is no one else in the group that could benefit from them.

I understand your point. But at the same time, should I roll on a piece that I maybe only need the mod/enhancement from that is for my class and there is another of my same class in the group? The way gearing is setup, many times the same piece has to be gotten several times just to get the correct stats to min/max. If rolling on another class's gear makes that process faster than it would be hard for me to fault someone for rolling need on it as they truly do need it for their set. I think the nice thing to do is to let the other person take the piece if they need the entire thing, but with the rarity of the proper gear actually dropping in a FP/Op these days I wouldn't have a problem with someone needing a piece just for the enhancement.

Did you carefully overlook the part where the other player dropped group and put him on ignore after the Guardian player tried to BUY the piece?

This is the type of behavior I would expect from a greedy jerk abusing the system.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone needing a piece just for the enhancement.

Actually, not a single piece of gear that drops in flashpoints has a good enhancement so don't bother. ALL 55 enhancements are either ****** crit/alacrity or ****** crit/surge. I've run the new 55 FPs more than a hundred times and I've never seen any enhancement other than those two for dps/healers. Not one power/surge. Not one power/accuracy. Not one power/alacrity. As a matter of fact, even all the mods from drops I've seen are high endurance/low crit (or low power rarely). The mods from 55 gear dropped in flashpoints are absolute ****.

By the way you can't even get proper enhancements with elite/ultimate commendations. Just the high endurance/low power variants. And I've checked all 4 vendors. The only way to obtain proper power/surge, power/accuracy, power/alacrity enhancements is via the tokens dropped from Operations. Kind of cruel if you ask me.

So don't need on enhancements at all unless you want a bunch of randomly itemized crap. You're better off buying lvl66 enhancements from the GTN. A lot better off.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

Old wow player here.. personally I just apply WoW loot logic to TOR and it seems to work fine.

Loot drops for my current spec that I can use- need regardless.

Loot drops for another spec I play but am not currently in - need if nobody else does and thank the group for letting me roll.

Loot drops that a companion can use - need if nobody else does and thank the group for letting me roll.

Edited by CyberTronX

If there is another person of the same class (sorc), I only need if I can use all 3 pieces (armor, mod, enhancement) without asking.

If I am going to be ripping mods or not using the full piece, I will ask the other person if they need the full piece. If they do I let them have it.

If there is not another person of the same class, I will need if I can use a mod.

These days I just run hms for other people. I have duplicates of basically every piece, plus 400 comms burning in the bank, so I actually try and get another sorc to run with me so that the loot isnt wasted. It feels terrible to run athiss, get the chest piece for the Xth time, when the rest of the group needed their respective piece.

I almost wish I could toggle drops off, because watching gear waste kills me.

By the way you can't even get proper enhancements with elite/ultimate commendations. Just the high endurance/low power variants. And I've checked all 4 vendors. The only way to obtain proper power/surge, power/accuracy, power/alacrity enhancements is via the tokens dropped from Operations. Kind of cruel if you ask me.

Oddly enough, the Jedi Knight / Sith Warrior vendors have some low-endurance enhancements in Black Market / Verpine gear available for comms.

All the other vendors exclusively sell the medum and high-endurance versions.

:/

If there is another person of the same class (sorc), I only need if I can use all 3 pieces (armor, mod, enhancement) without asking.

If I am going to be ripping mods or not using the full piece, I will ask the other person if they need the full piece. If they do I let them have it.

If there is not another person of the same class, I will need if I can use a mod.

These days I just run hms for other people. I have duplicates of basically every piece, plus 400 comms burning in the bank, so I actually try and get another sorc to run with me so that the loot isnt wasted. It feels terrible to run athiss, get the chest piece for the Xth time, when the rest of the group needed their respective piece.

I almost wish I could toggle drops off, because watching gear waste kills me.

This is my theory on how it should work as well, with one exception. If you start looting while I'm killing things, I will need on anything that pops up on my screen and figure it out later. If someone else can use it and I can't, I'm more than happy to trade once everything's dead.

Frankly the easiest way to fix this would be to make it so that you can't need on equipment you can't use.

IE, Sentinals can't need on heavy armor, Ops can't need on shields and so forth.... Or even further... If its not your classes primary stat you can't need on it. Soo no more troopers needing on strength stuff etc.

If you can't need, you can still greed, so if the guy its for doesn't need it, everyone in the group still has an equal chance to gain the item rather then a looter stealing it.

DPS modded heavy armor is fair game for a mara or sent to need on (if there is a dps jug both can need on it). Considering how badly fked up some itemization is (shield generators with alacrity, or offhand knives with shield/absorb), mainstat restriction is really the only limitation that can be reasonably implemented.

If a sentinel needs in a guardian dps piece, he's not pulling out 1 enhancement, he's pulling out all the mods and putting them on medium armor.

While I do agree that even if it is a str dps piece, both sentinels and guardians, I agree that you should only roll need if its for your class. Ya, you may use it, but it dropped for someone else, but it dropped for them and you should respect that.

On another note, you always pull the mods out even if it was for you. My sin has been wearing the same gear form early lvl 20's. I augment the gear and keep using the same gear going forward. Augments are far more valuable than removing and reinserting mods.

While I do agree that even if it is a str dps piece, both sentinels and guardians, I agree that you should only roll need if its for your class. Ya, you may use it, but it dropped for someone else, but it dropped for them and you should respect that.

I find this a little funny, since it only affects jks/sws. In other classes, everyone uses the same rated gear, so unless it's clearly a tanking piece or something, you can't tell "who" it dropped "to". Jk and sw are the only ones that have a difference between the ACs in this. Imo, if a dps guardian piece drops, sentinel "needs" it much more than a tanking guardian, even though it would have "dropped" to the guardian. With a dps guardian, the situation is a little trickier. Personally I wouldn't need it then, but I'd understand the reasoning behind a sentinel needing for that.

• 3 months later...
Well, here I am. A level 55 sharpshooter still feeling like a pile of noob on occasion when it comes to this subject. I understand that if a piece of gear isn't right for me, my toon, not to click need on it. However, there's one thing I'm not sure of, materials. This may seem obvious to experienced players, but SWtOR is my first mmo. I do need the materials for my crewskills, but what do you click? I've been in many flash points, clicked need, and no one said anything, but tonight I was told that clicking need "is pretty low". I promptly went to apologized to the person saying as well that I didn't know, but before I could finish I was already on the guys ignore list. What do yo do here? Edited by lilwhiteghost
wanted better word choice

There is a learning curve to good etiquette as it isn't intuitive at least not for me and because of that people need to keep in mind that mistakes are going to happen but as long as someone is willing to learn cut them a little slack. For example I thought that as a Mara it was perfectly acceptable to roll need on a generator because as soon as the Flashpoint was over I was going to strip it down for the mods and put it in my adaptable armor. My logic was that since I was going to use the mods right away and not put it up on GTN it was okay. The people I had the privilege of playing with thought otherwise so now I select greed on items with mods in it. The result is that I never get the items in question but I'm still very happy with the exp and the planetary coins rewards so everyone's happy. Edited by Lecaja

Gear only if its for your main, otherwise greed. I usually need on mats and rep tokens, only because I see the others in the group do exactly the same. And cause usually they are not part of my guild, I couldn't care less what they think about that. Usually the people who complain about it need themselves as well.