Class for new person to TOR

pantherv

Hi guys,

I'm gonna get my wife to try TOR , I've played very limited amount when the game was released and started playing again this week. I have only really played as the agent class. I am wondering what class my wife might like, she has played wow playing as a Mage and shadow priest and quite enjoyed the priest. Any feedback would be great.

Hi hi!

I play with my wife regularly. She has always played healers (I taught her how to play one in City of Heroes) and ranged DPS.

We have two duos we regularly play, which both work very well together: Jedi Guardian/Sage and Powertech/Operative. In both cases I am the tank (so we can have instapop for groupfinder Flashpoints) and she is the healer/DPS (she spends more time DPSing if we are questing with healing companions along).

My wife and I have a ball. I recommend these pairings, although there are likely others what work well together.

Oh! Almost forgot to mention: in PvP warzones, guardian/sage combo is like a freaking brick wall. Too much fun!

Well the last post was great for a suggestion but IMO an easy class to run would be a bounty hunter tank spec\agent operative (or sniper for better damage but no real heal support)

The companions that you get from these classes are great support for solo playing (you and your wife) as Mako will heal and Kalyo will tank.

Both classes can easily support each other and supply enough DPS to have fun while maintaining an easy to play experience.

Have fun!

You could both be agent you a sniper DPS and she a Operative heal spec. Genrally DPS chars are the easist and most forgiving classes to learn first, being a tank or healer in group play means you have a bit more responsibility and as you level up more is expected of you in group play. That is not to say DPS dont have an important role in group play just that there is a bit more leeway for mistakes.

Imp Agents have a real good story aswell. ;)

You could both be agent you a sniper DPS and she a Operative heal spec. Genrally DPS chars are the easist and most forgiving classes to learn first, being a tank or healer in group play means you have a bit more responsibility and as you level up more is expected of you in group play. That is not to say DPS dont have an important role in group play just that there is a bit more leeway for mistakes.

Personally, if you're playing with your wife, I would not recommend choosing the same class. It's just a lot of fun to share in the other person's class story. If you have the same exact class story ... no variety.

It seems this thread agrees, though: one of you play Powertech Tank, the other play Operative Healer. They work well together, get great early companions, and can share in one another's class storylines. If you play any FPs, you will be looked at to lead, but friendly folks will help you learn the FP if you've not done it before--just let them know up front.

Have fun!

If she likes Mage and Shadow Priest then she will want to play a Sith Inquisitor and take the Sorcerer advanced class when she is level 10. Sorcs are a ranged caster, have a bubble and the option to heal if they spec into it, so they are most similar to priests/warlocks. Their specs are Corruption (heals), Lightning (burst dps) and Madness (dots).

For your agent, not sure if you've picked your AC yet but if you haven't, Sniper is a good ranged dps, and Operative is melee dps + heals with stealth capabilities.

In my opinion Sith Inquisitor heals very much like a WoW disc priest. Their Lightning DPS is similar to a WoW elemental shaman. I have yet to find a spec in TOR that is as DoT-reliant as a shadow priest, but I'm relatively new to TOR myself and haven't played all the specs yet.

EDIT: After reading the post immediately preceding mine and looking at the Madness rotation on Noxxic, I have to agree that Madness spec is very similar to a shadow priest. I think Inquisitor is the way for her to go.

Edited by BernieMargo

If I might make a suggestion, don't make the same mistake many fellas make when they wish to bring their better half into a game, especially if they aren't regular gamers. Don't force her into being a healer. Healer classes can be stressful for new players due to the expectations placed on them to keep the group alive. My advice would be to let her choose her own class and you build your character around hers. It will keep the stress (and arguments) down and allow her to concentrate on beating the baddies down. If a healer is desirable use a companion or build a healer yourself (which you can keep her up and fighting instead of the other way). This may have the added effect of keeping her interest. Any class that is DPS ranged may be better suited for new players.

If I might make a suggestion, don't make the same mistake many fellas make when they wish to bring their better half into a game, especially if they aren't regular gamers. Don't force her into being a healer. Healer classes can be stressful for new players due to the expectations placed on them to keep the group alive. My advice would be to let her choose her own class and you build your character around hers. It will keep the stress (and arguments) down and allow her to concentrate on beating the baddies down. If a healer is desirable use a companion or build a healer yourself (which you can keep her up and fighting instead of the other way). This may have the added effect of keeping her interest. Any class that is DPS ranged may be better suited for new players.

This is something to think about, for sure.

That said, my wife first played a healer in an MMO and thanks me every time we start a new MMO for teaching her at the start how to heal. Also, this MMO's healing classes have it *very* easy compared to some others.

If you start a BH/Powertech and your wife starts an IA/Operative, you get a healing companion very early and she can focus on DPSing if she likes, but will have the ability to heal if she wants to learn it. Best of both worlds, I'd say.

Personally I would go with Scoundrel for a new player.

1. Can take cover, thus reducing damage taken

2. Some nice close up abilities if you get in trouble ie : Blaster Whip, Dirty Kick, Flash grenade,Back Blast

3.If you are get in serious trouble you can use Disappearing act at level 22 (exit combat and disapper)

4.Take Dirty fighting tree for some nice DoT and Bleed Effects

5.Most importantly you can still be a back up healer even if you dont take the sawbones (healing tree)

6.Self stealth - VERY useful for soloing.

Granted you wont be super effective as a healer BUT you get some nice DPS abilities, extra heals never hurt in a party and you can take the time to learn about who to heal and when without the full responsibility for the party.

I am currently playing a Scoundrel (Level 23) and am in fact trying a hybrid of Dirty fighting and Sawbones. I mostly list as a DPS in Flashpoints but sometimes list as a healer to slowly get used to it.

Personally Tanks and Healers seem to get alot of blame in groups with DPS usually being immune from the blame as long as they dont jump the gun (heh) and attack before the Tank.

TORHEAD - SCOUNDREL ABILITIES