Ship Analysis: TIE Advanced/Avenger

TalonVII

This is an analysis of the fighter known as the TIE/Ad starfighter or the TIE Advanced. The common nickname from the Imperial fleet was "Avenger" while republic/rebel pilots called them "Brights". The Avenger was a high speed, very agile space superiority fighter that did its job, better than most star fighters in the galaxy during it's day. It was also the fighter of choice for General Maarek Steele.

Similar to its older cousin, the TIE Interceptor, the Avenger featured the intimidating pointed dagger solar arrays, not only in front but also in the rear. The Avenger's sleek design was credited with significantly reducing its profile, making it harder to hit.

The TIE Avenger's primary weapon system was four Sienar Fleet Systems L-s9.3 laser cannons. These laser cannons were initially deployed on the TIE Interceptor, and later incorporated into the TIE/D Defender. The Avenger's cannons could be fired in single, dual, or linked modes depending on the pilot's preference.

Warhead launchers were another weapon system that TIE Avengers took to the battlefield. SFS M-g-2 general-purpose warhead launchers formed the Avenger's secondary weapon system, possessing a magazine capacity of four concussion missiles each; however, they could also be loaded with three proton torpedoes, two heavy rockets, or one space bomb. In certain cases, the fighter could be double loaded.

The TIE Avenger was powered by the SFS I-s3a solar ionization reactor and featured the new SFS P-sx7.4 ion engines. These engines made the Avenger faster and more nimble than both the TIE Interceptor and the A-Wing. Only the follow-on TIE Defender was faster.

Lord Vader's Tie Advanced which the Avenger was heavily based on suffered from mobility problems due to the hyperdrive and shields placed upon it. For the succeeding TIE Avenger, a major obstacle was overcome when Admiral Zaarin discovered a partner in the Habeen, who achieved a breakthrough in making a new hyperdrive model that could be small and reliable enough, eliminating the disadvantages of hyperdrive inclusion. The final TIE Advanced prototype far exceeded expectations by including a hyperdrive, shields, and a general purpose warhead launcher, all while surpassing the TIE Fighter's trademark speed and agility.

The shields carried on the TIE Avenger were as strong as the Assault Gunboat, which were twice as strong as the X-Wing Fighter making it a very survivable craft.

But it was eventually overshadowed in speed, firepower, and durability by the TIE Defender. This was due to the fact the Avenger did not carry Ion Cannons so could not disable an enemy ship very well.

But an interesting fact found out by General Maarek Steele was the fact the TIE Defender had a major weak spot the Avenger could Exploit Due to where the third wing was that carried the two ion cannons, a pilot could not see above and behind him at all while an Avenger did not have that issue. Also the speed difference was somewhat significant but in a turning dogfight both fighters were even so an experienced Avenger pilot could use that blind spot to his advantage.

All in all, this fighter was MORE than a match for any fighter in the Rebel Arsenal, but it was not deployed in large numbers due to the cost of the fighter.

This fighter had more speed and maneuverability than an A-wing, firepower equal to an X-wing, better defenses than the X-wing, and was hyper capable.

All in all, probably my favorite fighter in Star Wars.

I believe that it was clarified that the A-wing was the fastest ship snub fighter in the galaxy by the Leeland during the GCW, and all those things you described would be impossible on a ship that size and sounds like a child made it up. At least the God ship of 'Tie Fighter', the Defender was large enough to make sense that it could house a power plant required for all its characteristics.

It's roughly the same length as a A-wing. So you're gonna try and argue that they had some magical powerplant that makes it faster than the Tie/Interceptor and the A-wing, but also enough power for directional thrusters to be more maneuverable than them. Oh all the while still producing shields and blasters at the same power as the X-wing. Absurd. It was designed for a single player game for bad pilots to feel powerful. Just like the Dragon and the Excalibur in Wing Commander . Oh btw it uses the SAME powerplant as the Tie/Interceptor, it's quite silly really.

Another hilarity that shows the ship would never be implemented. The Tie/In speed is 111 MGLT, the Tie/Adv is suppose to be 150. Which is 30 better than the A-wing, 25% faster. There would be no reason to implement the defender.

Edited by Anishor

• 2 weeks later...

Ty sir, TY.

I will do follow-ons of the TIE Defender, TIE Interceptor, Assault gunboat, Skipray blastboat for the Imperials.

Also plan to do the K-wing[little is known about this rig], E-wing, chiss clawcraft, cloakshape/whiteshape fighter, V-wing, and Nym's Havok.

But i may not get to them all as i am going to run out of sub in less than a week. Expect atleast the TIE Def, Cloakshape fighter, and the Havok.

Ah loved the TIE Avenger, the new craft introduced in TIE Fighter really made the game interesting. With this craft, the Assault Gunboat, and the TIE Defender it really added a lot as opposed to the other games which didn't really bother to add much, (besides X Wing Alliance which added a lot of minor side craft which didn't really stand out much)

They also managed to tie the new craft into the story line of the game which made them fun and interesting when you got to play them.

I wish they would make a remake of TIE Fighter, that was my favorite game in the series.

Looking forward to your next fighter analysis! Fun reads :)

TIEs! Woo!!