Feedback request from James Ohlen - Group Finder

StephenReid

What part of a Group Finder feature is most important to you?  

3,234 members have voted

1. 1. What part of a Group Finder feature is most important to you?

• Forming a group for Operations
    • Forming a group for Flashpoints
    • Forming a group for Heroic Missions
    • Forming a group for something else
    • No preference/all of the above

--> keep it on one server (cross server grants you shorter queue times while amplifying bad behaviour - see wow)

--> no OP's (endgame shouldn't only be about the items/bad behaviour/ ridicoulus difficulty level see wow)

--> emphasise on Heroics also for low level ranges (so you get to meet more ppl through leveling and it's more varied)

--> no teleport to dungeon (wow lost a lot of its flair due to that)

I remember WoW servers before cross realm dungeons, battelgroup pvp etc.: small comunities ripe themselves off the bad blood that's quite an advantage of that.

huh? You can't mean World of Warcraft so what other game uses WoW as an acronym? In World of Warcraft the bad behavior you describe was just as likely in same server groups as the xrealm ones. And the xrealm ones, though occasionally bad, were more often good for me.

As for the LFR, that was long after I quit, but I'd say it was more about experiencing the content than the gear for many who used it.

I have no argument with the heroics comment of yours, since I don't even try to get groups for heroics anymore on my server after Nar Shadaa, though I see no reason to limit it to those.

As for teleport to dungeon <shrug>

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 is FPs, #2 is heroics. Your poll wouldn't let me click more than one item, so I selected all of the above, even though I don't think it is needed for ops. I would suggest that you start with just FPs and possibly heroics, and see how it is received and how it works.

And for the love of God, please DO NOT EVER listen to me, because I don't know what its like to be without a guild or play on a low pop server. terrible idea!!!!!

Fixed

Flashpoints, Heroics > Operations

Even at 50 the daily heroics are now spread across 3 planets. But also while leveling I may have a few heroics left on a planet while already moving on to the next. Or I am on the fleet enjoying the VIP lounge or other leisure activities, so a galaxy wide system to find heroic groups should be an important core feature.

I believe normal mode operations are intended to be very easy and beatable by pickup groups, therefore we should be able to use the finder for those as well. But as operations are intended for level 50 players only, Flashpoints and Heroics should be a higher priority,

Usability > Robust loot system > Cross server group finder, account wide friend and ignore list

There are a lot of LFG tools out there in other MMOs. All of which have shown to me that the most important features are those which get a critical mass to use the tool. Therefore, a good usability which makes it easy to use for players new to MMOs is a must. And cross server functionality should not be delayed too long.

In order to make cross server an improvement for communities, we need tools to befriend players from other servers, as well as block out the bad apples.

For obvious reasons in pickup groups, I should not be able to need items not intended for my class and current spec. There was a developer post about it a few weeks back so this feature is in the works already.

Edited by Nepumuk

I voted Flashpoints - as this is where it is most needed. This is almost dead now and we need ppl to get groups for this more easy. I'd prefer x-realm coz i have the view that it is more important to get groups fast and efficiant then to stay whithin your own server. Bioware saya they wanna keep the server community by making groups inside the server, but i feel this only has limited effect on the server community. X-realam also helps grouping on unbalanced servers, so i feel its a much bigger pro then a con.

I do feel people need LFG tool for HC quests and Operations also.

Something simulare to the PvP tool would be awesome - you sign up for a HC FP and when your group is ready you get message. Though it is needed to be ways to kick players going afk or being unfriendly, and there needs to be a panalty for leaving.

Personaly i feel the LFG that eventualy came in WoW was very nice and well receaved by the community there, for worling well. After a lot of experiance they found out that giving rewards for roles that were rare gave more signups for this role, and that buffing "random" groups also motivated players to sign up for this.

Something that I feel would be easy to implement, and might help with grouping is:

When a mission is picked up, you are automatically told who is on the same mission in the zone (or planet). Similarly, people who have the mission could be given a notification when someone picks up the mission. Of course, there would be an option to opt-out in the settings.

It would be a way of more actively knowing who is doing what mission, rather than people, almost helplessly, saying "LFG XYZ." It is like a temporary friends list being created, and could be listed on the mission info tab (L), or in the social screen.

All of the above would dramatically improve game experience; but if priority is required

1st - Flashpoints

2nd - Heroics

3rd - Ops

Cross server, but only link like 5 servers or so. I don't mind spending the time learning different players/guilds over 5 or so servers. Over all servers would ruin community (ie WoW)

Edited by AnoriOlko

I think the LFG is useful for "repetitive things" where the brain is not allowed to enter, then FP is a priority. However, a LFG for everything is welcomed, because I 'm really bored to read players whining because they "don't find a group with their garbage DPS and if there was a LFG it was better".

They will not find group anyway, with or without a LFG, but at least they'll change sentence when they spam in a forum.

'throwing in my 0.02$ here:

There's no need for a Group Finder.

Finding groups for anything is as easy as the server you're playing on allows. On healthy servers, it's fast to instant, on dying ones it's impossible.

And a Group Finder won't change anything about that.

Sure, it'd allow you to do dailies or other quest while waiting (probably not PvP though, guessing from the way WZs are handled in this game), so the waiting process isn't as painful as it is now. And yes, that'd get a couple more people to look for groups. True.

But it'd still not change that a Group Finder is only combating one of many symptoms of a bigger problem, which it helps nothing to solve, and that, if it got solved, would make Group Finder an unnecessary feature.

Convenient, but really unnecessary.

Go to one of the half dozen populated servers, and you'll see. Grouping is easy there. For anything.

Also, a lot of people seem to forget all the problems that come with Group Finders: PUGs are always a matter of luck. They can work, or they can fail ... or fail very hard. Putting together groups via /1 spam, f-list whispers and /g help allows you to weed out who you want to play with, usually with the effect of increasing the probability of success - Group Finders just create a lot of random PUGs with no filters, leading to a lot of totally failed runs or very unenjoyable experiences where one or two people end up carrying slackers.

Short term: sure, a gain, grouping gets easier.

Long term though: grouping get a lot less fun and even more of a chore.

It's not like we haven't seen that in pretty much EVERY prior game, is it?

So please, instead of trying to fix symtoms that will just lead to other problems ...

Please ... concentrate on server merges and transfers, on increasing server stability and capacity!

With servers at an average population of current Fatman, there'd be little need for a Group Finder.

Instead, we'd have healthy server populations to actually sustain group play.

Bioware needs to have a poll to see if more players want a cross server group finder or a server only group finder.im sure more would want a cross server as a server only would be useless and a waste of time.where as a cross server group finder would let playing swtor at least be possible

I'd like to have something like a box. You can tick off which Flashpoints you are interested in. Hit Search. Much like Warzone queing you can go about your business while the game searches for people also interested in the flashpoints.

Once found and a suitable amount interested the game will ask if you are still interested in partying for X flashpoint. Hit yes you auto party. Hit no, you are no longer searching.

For one this will cut down on the "LFG X for X Flashpoint I would think.

The only thing I can see is that the game needs a way to differentiate between roles. Like tanks and healers. Nothing like 4 dps and 4 tanks in two groups XD

Maybe add another line asking what your role is, Healer, Dps, Tank.

Then you pick what you want. Ie. 1 tank/ 2 dps/ 1 healer. Or 2 tank/1 dps/ 1healer or some combination.

Need to be able to pick any number of flashpoints to queue for it can't be randomised and should probably be able to queue for operations too to feature match WoW, some people would complain about the Ops thing but there's probably quite a few silent players it would keep playing.

I picked all of the above. Assuming that there definately is one coming, since "No, not at all" wasn't a choice. I would like to see it start as single-server and see how it works out. Because once I start seeing the abuse (personal abuse and abuse of the mechanics of the group finder) that I saw in WoW, ...

I would like to have a group finder include a guild finder this is a major problem for new players. I have been playing since launch and have done 3 flash pionts and no operations no worls boses ect I even skipped may of the heroics because i could never find a group. a few time i tryed but could not get to the group fast enough so they dumped me for someone else or had problems with quest sharing. A quick travel to the group would greatly improve the social element. and reduce anxiety on a player trying to get to a group .

There is soicial road block for new players a new player does not know the maps, how to avoid mobs, and may mismanage the quick travles in short they are inefficient at getting around and probably weeker in combat. So after waiting a long time for u the group is agravated and thinking *** is up with this guy then u stink in combat. the new player is left feeling down and no friends made. With a quick travel to the group maybe it goes like this hay i am a new player can u bear with me since the group is not agravated to start they have more patients and help out and maybe make friends.

Further more the games need a friend finder similar to the pre launch guild finder to help people find groups I realy feel like this is massivly single player on line game

I don't think Ops should be on the lfg tool, unless it helps keep TOR competitive having it in. I'd personally prefer pugging ops the old fashioned way, but I'm not totally adverse to story mode being in the lfg tool. Any higher difficulty would be unwise imo.

Also, it may seem lazy, but since there is already a lot of travel on the planets it'd be nice if the lfg tool ported you to (at least) the quest giver for heroics . It'd also be cool if it'd port you to the fleet shuttle for flashpoints. I'm all for keeping some semblance of travel in, but it can be a little much especially when you finally get a full grp and it falls apart because someone was being impatient.

Finally, the issue of expanding to cross server.

I see it like this: if the more empty servers are going to merge (after the rush of xfers) then I would discourage a cross server lfg. However, if server mergers are off the table then a cross server lfg might be necessary. Not ideal imo, but I'm interested in whats best for the game in the long run.

Whatever you all do, I think you should be very careful about the treatment of a lfg feature. It's a very useful feature and I think it has changed games like WoW for better, but at a subjectively terrible price. You don't need metrics or studies to see the rampant belligerence and abuse of anonymity that has followed the advent of the lfg feature. One of my favorite things about this game is the accountability that comes with server-only interactions. It'd suck to see that accountability go away.

Thanks,

Good luck and good job on the game.