Way too much XP

Am I the only one that feels that leveling is too quick? I mean I'm outleveling the content and I'm having a hard time appreciating the quests since missions and simple conversations give so much XP.

I've been playing since the 15th and just reached lv25. The game is great... but progress is so fast I keep telling myself "oh not another level, I just got started here". Best example is when you leave the starter worlds and arrive on your capital city:

I was lv11 then and got all the way to lv12 simply by talking to people. Then i got with some friends and did The Esseless. When I went back to questing I was already 2 levels ahead on everything. I stay out of cantinas and spend as little time in my ship as possible to avoid being rested but I still can't slow the XP down. I skipped half of Taris and did the minimum on Nar Shadda since i was so concerned about overleveling the content.

Anyhow, I believe that reducing general XP would make for more enjoyable progress and pretty much increase the game's lifespan. At that rate people are gonna be crying for an expansion next month.

My opinion.

EDIT: wanted to add a few suggestions

-Make pure conversation quests give little to no XP.

-Bonus quests could increase credits instead of XP (you actually get PAID for the extra effort)

-Space missions could award credits only and become a way to make good money with special objectives or special missions for those willing to invest in their ship

-Reduce the overall XP of missions slightly (would make resting state desirable and would not make missions a pain for those who just want to steamroll through content)

EDIT 2

How about a new feature to micro manage your progress? You already choose your reward, add another option where you choose between XP or more credits.

That way players who want to do everything and see everything can take their time and do so without worrying. You can PvP all you want, do all your daily heroics, daily space missions, flashpoints and bonus series and use your money to have a good time along the way. Heck some folks might take 6 months getting to lv 50 and have a blast doing so while others can get there in a week and get their raids going.

I understand there might be an issue with gold farmers here. Have class and main story missions stay the way they are and only allow the option in side quests. Then again the extra credits rewards could be negligible and serve as an excuse for avoiding the "unwanted" XP.

Edited by DarthBizz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed it doesn't feel like a challenge I was level 12 when I reached Coruscant after doing the Esseles and I've always been 2-3 levels ahead of the content for instance right now I'm level 23 and I just got on Nar Shadda after finishing Taris I want a challenge not an easy wipe

And you haven't been to pvp yet :)

I was lvl 12 after korriban, with some pvp and ship quests I left drommund kaas at 21, and went to balmorra that is lvl 16-20 range...

Finished balmorra (and some more pvp) at lvl 27, and I'm now going to nar shaddaa, that is lvl 20-24.

I blame this on pvp xp that must be also lowered.

I have run into the exact same problem. I was hoping it would slow down as the game progressed. It definitely does kind of suck since it makes me feel like I can only run each FP once, and can't do warzones or space missions very often without being way higher level than the content I'm on.

Having more content than you need is a good thing. It means there's replay value. Current, I've found that it's balanced just about right if you do every quest available on every other planet, just the class quest on the planets in between, and do all the flashpoints at least once at their level and the spaceflight missions as they become available. That gives you a level rate almost exactly equal to your consumption of planets, and leaves half of the planets in the game still effectively unexplored by you, allowing you to do the exact opposite on your next alt, play all the planets you've didn't do the first time through.

Having more content than you need is a good thing. It means there's replay value. Current, I've found that it's balanced just about right if you do every quest available on every other planet, just the class quest on the planets in between, and do all the flashpoints at least once at their level and the spaceflight missions as they become available. That gives you a level rate almost exactly equal to your consumption of planets, and leaves half of the planets in the game still effectively unexplored by you, allowing you to do the exact opposite on your next alt, play all the planets you've didn't do the first time through.

I agree. But still at the moment I just feel like there's something wrong with the leveling rythm. Each time I check the XP bar its either I just dinged or am already 3/4 to the next one. I don't expect that you need ALL the content to stay on par, but that you should be able to do missions, heroic missions, flashpoints (more than just once... i mean they're fun) and space missions whithout waking up ahead 3-4 levels.

I am going to wholeheartedly disagree with this thread's point.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with the way the EXP is right now.

You do not HAVE to do every single quest, and talk to every single person, and kill every single mob in every single area. You can skip something if you wish (I skipped Taris, I found it tedious and I'll likely do it on another character).

We need to stop judging everything based on our previous experiences in MMOs. This is a new game, and a seemingly new goal. The storyline is what sets this game apart from the others. There are two factions with four classes each that have unique storylines. Of those storylines there are two Advanced Classes per class, which will have entirely different playstyle experiences.

If the experience seems accelerated, has it not occurred to you folks that this might be BY DESIGN?!?!?

Perhaps rather than games like WoW, EQ, etc etc etc, you are not meant to have one "Main" and put almost all of your hours logged into the game playing that guy/gal. Perhaps we are supposed to explore multiple characters, that have different stories and different playstyles? Perhaps we are expected to reach the level cap in a short amount of time, and in turn explore the other faction?

Stop looking at the abundance of EXP as a curse, and realize that it will empower you to have more characters and experience more of the story, and play more "types" of styles.

I'm personally stoked that in a few weeks I will probably be able to start leveling a Sith side character and experience that aspect of the game, and not feel like I have to wait six months.

I over-leveled Imperial Balmorra by doing Hammer Station (really want the bloody Inq robes), so I skipped it except for the class story. I do think they need to tone down the amount of xp that Flashpoints give, however. If you want a particular piece of gear, it's hard not to over-level.

Space missions could do with a trim of the XP, get your ship and thats basically a free level if you do given space combats. 11-12k XP is a pretty huge chunk of a level for a 5min daily.

Found in beta the exploration XP gains are quite high, around lvl 18 or so I wandered over to hoth for a wander about and very large amount. So maybe cap that by level so as not to nerf it for the non explorers who'll wait til they need to visit a place.

I'm personally stoked that in a few weeks I will probably be able to start leveling a Sith side character and experience that aspect of the game, and not feel like I have to wait six months

6 months? 2weeks to lvl 50,rinse and repeat.Every 6 months add another 12 lv 50's.After a year you can then brag about having 30+ lvl 50's.Congratulations you are master of the star wars universe /badge.Next mmo plz.

Edited by helcaster

I'm not saying that there isn't too much xp but I had the same thought in beta until I hit lvl 30 and 40 and everything slowed down. if I by then I skipped any quests in beta i was under leveled by the low 40s. also I would believe that it is designed so that you don't have to do everything to stay at the proper level. so if you do everything you will be over leveled. also I'm sure that this sort of thing isn't very easy for the devs to balance properly since it really is just your preference that you would rather be level 10 instead of lvl 12. personally I don't find it to be that much of a problem.

also remember that not everyone playing this game has been playing mmos for the last 20 years or so. they might not find it that easy or straight forward. but the game just launched and they will be making many many changes.

6 months? 2weeks to lvl 50,rinse and repeat.Every 6 months add another 12 lv 50's.After a year you can then brag about having 30+ lvl 50's.Congratulations you are master of the star wars universe /badge.Next mmo plz.

Bad exaggeration is bad.

Judging by the current experience, which does slow post 30, you will be putting a significant amount of time into each character to reach max level. Then you will have endgame content to explore, PVP, etc.

It may be possible to have a handful of max level characters within a few months. That isn't a problem, it is a blessing. Now you can experience endgame Flashpoints, Ops, etc with DIFFERENT characters. Hoth, this may even help alleviate some of the problems other MMOs have with class diversity. Oh we need a healer? Let me hop on my Sage. We need a tank? Let me play my Guardian. I feel like PVPing? Let me hop on my Shadow.

I feel like the leveling experience early is fast, to get you to the good stuff. This will be especially relevant when you decide to roll more characters. This current format is forgiving of experimentation as well. Maybe you've leveled a Shadow to the mid 20's and HATE it. No big deal, you've invested a few days/weeks. You can reroll and explore something more suited to your style. Rather than grind out a character for MONTHS just to finally reach the endgame, and become bored with it already.

In this case, more options is better. Cool your jets, and experiment some. The system favors it.

You're only 25, just wait, around 30 it starts slowing down, and some of my guildies around 39-42 are moaning like hell about how the quests are too hard, or how slow it is to level.

It evens out in the end.

This.

I'm just starting to hit the wall and it is a major shift in difficulty.

You're only 25, just wait, around 30 it starts slowing down, and some of my guildies around 39-42 are moaning like hell about how the quests are too hard, or how slow it is to level.

It evens out in the end.

This.

And this:

Your crying that leveling is too fast and your lvl 20~

lol

Seriously OP, go even to 40 - you'll see a xp wall (f.e 300k xp for one level, while quests give you around 6-10k)