Name unavailable, please choose another.

AJediKnight

I grabbed a name I wanted when my server first launched, went back 10 mins later to create the character, took all of 60 seconds to line up the sliders, hit 'create' and the name was already gone. I find this... almost inexplicable. I understand it's launch day, but the odds seem rather low, considering it isn't a name like Chris or Steve. Some other people on the server said their chosen names had been locked up upon recreating as well... is there some kind of a delay action in effect?

I grabbed a name I wanted when my server first launched, went back 10 mins later to create the character, took all of 60 seconds to line up the sliders, hit 'create' and the name was already gone. I find this... almost inexplicable. I understand it's launch day, but the odds seem rather low, considering it isn't a name like Chris or Steve. Some other people on the server said their chosen names had been locked up upon recreating as well... is there some kind of a delay action in effect?

Can't you use a different version of your name or a new one?

If others are reporting the same thing that I'd assume the servers haven't released the name to be usable yet. That is, the naming server still has that name registered as in-use, but not by who.

I'm surprised BioWare didn't give the grace period that most games give. That is, if you delete a name, its yours for X amount of time before its released back into the wild.

The only thing is, there's no way to tell how long it'll be until your name is released; unless it's a strange bug and the names are never released, but BioWare would have to fix that pretty quickly or it'll cause a lot of issues with peeople.

There is a delay before the name is freed up. Keep trying. I reused a name during the beta and this happened.

If you created the character with the name, then deleted it, its possible there is a delay between the deletion and the name being freed up rather than someone taking it.

I know World of Warcraft used to suffer this issue quite often. I would keep trying occasionally to make the new character with that name.

Wait wait wait....you say you "locked up your name"....what? You have to be in the character creator to create your name and if you don't create your character then...the name is still "open" for use. You can not "lock" your name and NOT create a character.

I deleted and re-created the same character 3 times in 5min without any delay after picking the same name again.

1st time - reserve name

2nd time - created character... voice/body shape didn't fit my mental image of him.

3rd time - created character with more fitting appearance.

Each time I spent less than 2min between deleting the character and re-creating him.

This doesn't mean the above posters aren't correct, but the delay may not be very long.

I hear ya. RP folks need/want a specific name and it really causes problems if they can't create it. There seem to only be 5 or 6 RP servers. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my name is still available when I get in.

Gosh, otherwise you'll just have to use your imagination... :eek:

I deleted and re-created the same character 3 times in 5min without any delay after picking the same name again.

1st time - reserve name

2nd time - created character... voice/body shape didn't fit my mental image of him.

3rd time - created character with more fitting appearance.

Each time I spent less than 2min between deleting the character and re-creating him.

This doesn't mean the above posters aren't correct, but the delay may not be very long.

If the delay is not by design it will probably never be consistent. In my case, it wasn't particularly long. Maybe 5-10 minutes?

I was afraid of this. That's why I wrote down the creation to my character in beta. Hopefully the create character options havent been switched around like they were from beta to beta. If everything goes well I can create my character very quickly the right way the first time.