Why the consular story makes me want to be dead (Possible Spoilers)

thomasbaxter

Okay each to their own as they say but apart from the fact the characters were boring in my opinion and the baddies were forgetful. The problem with the consular story is it just shows what is BAD about MMOs.

Okay in act 1 yeah every story has to do 4 things so fair does but the problem with this class is it's the same thing almost every planet. Gotta find 3 things or destroy 3 things etc. I mean on Voss the quest line went something like:

Collect 3 branches

Visit 3 alters

kill 3 guards

and the times when you went to defeat one of the children of the empire, there was you running through about 10 rooms full of baddies just to get to this one guy at tthe far room (i mean most of the time I was just running thru and respawning).

The whole story just felt like busywork to me and , though MMOs are generally like that, I didn't notice this in the Inquisitor story (which I did twice). I want to level a shadow but I ain't doing that story again lol.

.....the companions I thought were dull bar Nadia and, surprisingly, Qyzen who turned out to be a lot more interesting ...

Edited by thomasbaxter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qyzen rules only in so far that without a point of reference (i.e. Consular is your first character), you don't realize how lacking he is as a main companion until you play some of the other classes and realize how great their first crew member is.

Coupled with a sluggish rather muddled Chapter 1. The idea of a plague affecting Jedi Masters from an expedition is a little much for TORs story-telling considering the planet the plague originated on, the masters themselves, and the entire Rogue-Republic faction is way too much new stuff for 1 little chapter to adequately explain or properly setup. Thus you're given only cursory explanations followed by a conga-line of generic forgettable Jedi and Quasi-Sith enemies.

So essentially you have the 8th best starter companion, helping you complete one of the worst class stories, playing a class who quite frankly got pretty gypped when it came to their spell particles and effects. ("The Jedi equivalent of force lightning stuff... is um air and rocks and force persuade dialogue choices!" is a big stretch and sort of lame choice from a visual gameplay perspective).

The entire Consular experience wouldn't have been near as jarringly bad if one or two or those things weren't true. A solid lead companion alone might have been enough to prop up the class story, or even just making it more simplistic to allow the game to buildup and give you a stronger Antagonist/more memorable Jedi masters to save.

Edited by FROIDBUSTER

I have yet to finish the Consular story. Currently at lvl45 and about to get Nadia.

I've enjoyed the story (so far, just started Chapter 3).

Coupled with a sluggish rather muddled Chapter 1. The idea of a plague affecting Jedi Masters from an expedition is a little much for TORs story-telling considering the planet the plague originated on, the masters themselves, and the entire Rogue-Republic faction is way too much new stuff for 1 little chapter to adequately explain or properly setup. Thus you're given only cursory explanations followed by a conga-line of generic forgettable Jedi and Quasi-Sith enemies.

I don't get this. I get the feeling you glossed over the story. It is not a "plague" in the sense that it is a "sickness". The "plague" is a force-forged-link created between the members of the expedition that visited said planet by the "dark side presence" that "lived" on the planet. Through this link, the Masters were being corrupted. You, the Consular, are taught a technique that blocks the link and you use that technique to protect the Masters until you can confront the "dark side presence" and break the link forever.

I really enjoyed Chapter 1. It was a really fulfilling and enjoyable.

Qyzen rules only in so far that without a point of reference (i.e. Consular is your first character), you don't realize how lacking he is as a main companion until you play some of the other classes and realize how great their first crew member is.

This is my 7th character. I don't find Qyzen lacking in any way. He is a great melee tank and he is just as good as Khem Val (for example). I personally like him a lot better than, say, Aric or Corso (2 other 1st companions) that I dropped as soon as I could.

Chapter 2 was also a blast. As the first Barsen'thor in ages, you are entrusted with the task of showing the "Rift Alliance" that they are best served staying with the Republic. You reestablish the government of Balmorra. Recover the classified science facility on Quesh (Attis Station). Take charge of the Rift Alliance forces on Hoth, fighting Captain Valon (he of the "immortal armor" :)). Realize that little, unassuming, Blaesus is in fact a Sith and save the Sarkhai royalty. Blaesus is also revealed to be one of the "Children of the Emperor" which leads nicely into Chapter 3.

Heading to Belsavis and finding out that there is more to the Esh-kha than what was portrayed in all the other class stories was cool (apart from the Sith Inquisitor storyline were you also find out that the Esh-kha were "made" by the Rakata to try and "reconnect" to the Force)... this is far as I have progressed in the story...

As I said above, I've enjoyed the story so far. ;)

Yeah like I say each to their own. If I'm expanding on it slightly more, I've found the rep side stories a lot duller than the sith side stories but I think Bioware had more creative control over the baddies while the goodies have a sort of 'canon' they need to stick by.

The consular class I actually love. The story so far I've just not wanted to continue at all. The finale is quite cool and very star-wars 'return of the jedi' end but none of the bad guys are memorable. The Jedi Knight story I have only played to level 35 and it's not been as good as warrior or inq but there's at least been a few memorable bad guys :)

Qyzen I warmed to as when u do his side quests:

and go to his father's grave to pay tribute, then try to teach his other trandoshan friends about how to figth with honour etc

u start to like him. Still, as froid said the inquisitor first companion knocks Qyzen out the park. The other companions bar Nadia annoy me and I really don't even like seeing them on my ship haha.

Okay each to their own as they say but apart from the fact the characters were boring in my opinion and the baddies were forgetful. The problem with the consular story is it just shows what is BAD about MMOs.

Okay in act 1 yeah every story has to do 4 things so fair does but the problem with this class is it's the same thing almost every planet

Jedi Knight: destroy 4 super weapons

Trooper: kill 4 republic traitors

Bounty Hunter: kill 4 "Great Hunt" targets

Sith Inquisitor: find 4 Tulak Horde artifacts

Imperial Agent: dismantle 4 terrorist cells

So how is that different from every other Act I from every other class?

Edited by RendValor

Couple nights ago I finished Chapter I with my buddy in tow on TS. He watched as I planted my saber square into my master's face. He said, I kid you not. "HOW ARE YOU STILL A JEDI?!?"

To that, I had no answer.

By the the time I was 32ish I had already personally killed 6 Jedi Masters, my own master included, and was directly responsible for the deaths of hundreds more (that's plural) throughout the galaxy. I get back to Tython expecting some kind of reprisal... Hell at the very least a stern talking to. What do I get?

I GET PROMOTED.

So let me get this straight... I kill more Jedi leadership than all the Imperial classes COMBINED and I get a promotion? Not just any promotion either. Apparently I'm the second coming of the great Jedi Jesus because they gimme a special title and then put me in charge of a bunch of whiney diplomats who I can't wait to kill.

Whoever wrote this story is a moron. It's so bad it's hysterical.

Edited by Gankstah

""Couple nights ago I finished Chapter I with my buddy in tow on TS. He watched as I planted my saber square into my master's face. He said, I kid you not. "HOW ARE YOU STILL A JEDI?!?"

By the the time I was 32ish I had already personally killed 6 Jedi Masters, my own master included, and was directly responsible for the deaths of hundreds more (that's plural) throughout the galaxy. I get back to Tython expecting some kind of reprisal... Hell at the very least a stern talking to. What do I get?

I GET PROMOTED.

So let me get this straight... I kill more Jedi leadership than all the Imperial classes COMBINED and I get a promotion? Not just any promotion either. Apparently I'm the second coming of the great Jedi Jesus because the gimme a special title and then put me in charge of a bunch if whiney diplomats who I can't wait to kill.

Whoever wrote this story is a moron. It's so bad it's hysterical.""

**** I know right it was hilariousally bad. It was just like Satele Shan was asking "Why did u kill them?" and ur like 'just felt like it '.....and they end up saying 'oh well as long as u tried your best' lol

On another note, u not find a lot of the rep players get really angry at you for going dark side. Real die hards on the red eclipse for sure haha.

Another bit of continuity that bugged me was just how easily Qyzen gets over the fact u chopped his best pal up lol

Edited by thomasbaxter

i enjoyed it alot the scene with the meeting on Alderran was awesome. Plus i enjoy the companions alot more than the companions i was given for my knight, i hate my knight.

I agree with that sith side has more interesting storylines though, yet none of the stories i really disliked.

Being my 5th level 50, first pub, hated it, its probably the worst class story in-game for me.

Qyzen and Nadia are the best part, Belsavis was the most fun (i know ironic right)

In order of how i love each story

• Agent
  • Inquisitor
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Warrior
  • ... Reserved for next class
  • Consular

Edited by ElitehunterDS

Couple nights ago I finished Chapter I with my buddy in tow on TS. He watched as I planted my saber square into my master's face. He said, I kid you not. "HOW ARE YOU STILL A JEDI?!?"

Perhaps you might have said, "She attacked me." I mean really, it like you're ignoring the whole "Dark Side plague has made her insane. The Consular story makes plenty sense as a DS, more than many other. All four of the masters have done terrible things or are about to. Shielding them is a sacrifice. Not one you are required to make. You are removing a threat to the order and the republic. Even a Light V Jedi kills thousands of beings.

I GET PROMOTED.

Right, because you stopped:

A Master that was set to destroy Taris for good;

A Master that could have drawn the Republic into war with the Hutts;

A Master that was trying to start an internecine war on Tatooine;

A Master that was trying to plunge Alderaan into chaos.

Whoever wrote this story is a moron. It's so bad it's hysterical.

Respectfully, you didn't like the story. But you seem predisposed not to like it.

Honestly, the worst part about the Consular story was the main antagonist. Act 1 wasnt anything special but it didnt seem bad to me.

There's really nothing compelling about him at all. There's nothing personal about it. He doesn't even know he's the First Son of the Emperor. The only way he really gets you in a personal way is when he kills Nadia's dad. The incredibly late reveal is also a problem. You're almost halfway through Correllia when you find out who the First Son is.

Now, if Syo Bakarn had consciously been the First Son, going around being consciously, that might have been more compelling. Maybe have him kill someone important to you from early in the game, like your master or something. Include an earlier confrontation where you are defeated and lose someone of significance (for example, you go with Yuon to confront him, he kills her while you're incapacitated or something). Have one of your companions turn out to be a Child of the Emperor and allow you to break the hold on them somehow.

Instead, they do a very late reveal. You confront him without much trouble in a hole in the ground. Maybe try a more epic setting there too.

I really never felt like the odds were against me at any time in the story. The companions also all feel tacked on. Qyzen grew on me and its cool that you get to teach Nadia about being a Jedi, but other than that all the companions do not fit in well at all.

I've done the Knight, Inquisitor and Warrior story and there are all low points in those stories and you have a clear antagonist throughout. Warrior,

take out your master like a Sith would

. Inquisitor, take out your master then your main rival. Jedi Knight,

take out the Emperor

. You need a clear villain. You also need to overcome odds. The Warrior

gets betrayed and left for dead

. The Knight

becomes possessed by the Emperor with the rest of the Jedi on the strike team

. The Inquisitor gets

whooped by Thanaton and has their apprentices killed.

The villain never got me personally invested.

You also dont have recurring minor villains. Going through you defeat everyone and they dont show up again so no one really gets under your skin.

Overall, I felt the consular story was incredibly weak. Thankfully I love playing my shadow enough for it to be my main, because the story definitely didnt make it interesting.

The last post I think was my biggest gripe tbh, the villains weren't interesting enough for my liking. I hated most of the quests but if the story was at least compelling I would have been able to ignore it. If you compare it to the Sith Inquisitor story which I did enjoy:

The first villain Darth Skotia is quite interesting, being one of the few robotic Darth Lords was quite cool. He also made you hate Thanaton more for being a total hypocrite over his orthodox views. I think for the main villain to be worthy, you need to really want to see him dead by the end of the game and Thanaton is a good villain.

The busy work of the first act (collecting artifacts) was easy to trudge through as you constantly wondered what Lord Zash was up to, then she herself turns out to be a good villain too. Thanaton as the primary antagonist was great. Just your typical intelligent, arrogant villain :)

Of course the other good thing about the Inq story was the other neutral-ish kind of villains like Overseer Harken who was brilliant, and the fact you get the chance to kill him before the finale made my day :)....

There was also another nice touch, can't remember the guys name. He was one of Thanaton's right hand men and if you spare him when firing the WMD he refuses to fight you on Corellia.

None of these kind of intriguing moments were present in the Consular story. The fact they reveal the first son late in act 3 was a bit redundant. When it was revealed to be who it was, I was kind of like 'ah that's quite a nice twist' but then it turned out not to be as

Syo obviously didn't realise he was the first son

I think it's harsh to say the writers are idiots because it's still a competent story, it's just not as good as the others I've done so far and I doubt it'll be as good as the ones I do after.

A "competent" story is any piece of writing with proper punctuation and grammatical syntax. Green Eggs And Ham is a competent story. Teletubbies have competent writers. Which is where I suspect BioWare dug up the writer(s) of the consular arc.

A previous poster, whom doesn't merit direct quotation, mentioned how saving these masters was not an act "required" of a Jedi and thus makes logical sense in the story. Any GOOD writer would have reserved the Jedi Master title for a player who at least saved 1/2 of the masters and rewarded the ridiculously named "über" title for those players who managed to save all of the masters. Instead they hand these things out like candy. There's no sense of deserved accomplishment.

I mock the order, murder it's most prominent servants, bring about the deaths of hundreds of masters and deliberately disrespect not only the council but every person in my path at every given opportunity and am subsequently granted the highest honors the order has to offer.

THAT, by definition, is bad writing.

How any individual with an IQ greater than that of a turnip could defend that kind of story telling is beyond any level of understanding I possess.

A previous poster, whom doesn't merit direct quotation, mentioned how saving these masters was not an act "required" of a Jedi and thus makes logical sense in the story. Any GOOD writer would have reserved the Jedi Master title for a player who at least saved 1/2 of the masters and rewarded the ridiculously named "über" title for those players who managed to save all of the masters. Instead they hand these things out like candy. There's no sense of deserved accomplishment.

Jedi Knight spoiler:

This is something I liked in the Jedi Knight story. If you are dark side, Satele calls you out on it and doesn't make you a master (kind of lamely, though, the Republic military refers to you as a master anyway though).

Also, I think they make you a master wayyy too soon in the consular story. Makes it fairly meaningless.

I mock the order, murder it's most prominent servants, bring about the deaths of hundreds of masters and deliberately disrespect not only the council but every person in my path at every given opportunity and am subsequently granted the highest honors the order has to offer.

How any individual with an IQ greater than that of a turnip could defend that kind of story telling is beyond any level of understanding I possess.

Well, you're certainly tough on internet aren't you?

What you are clearly complaining about is consistancy. You think you've murdered all these people, and been rewarded which is not consistent.... But, the consular story does not describe the killing of the masters as out-right murder - that's a lable you envisioned for yourself. As the other poster pointed out, the story presents this as eliminating a threat to the Jedi as you saw fit. Disrespecting everybody is generally presented in polite terms and not inconsistent with a Jedi Master. So while you may have envisioned your character as a cold blooded killer, the story presents your motivations in a more logical way to maintain consistency. You've protected the Jedi from a signifcant threat of plague and been awarded the title protector - that is consistent. You can complain that the story does not provide an option to play a cold-blooded killer Jedi but that's really a design decision and not a writing decision. The writing itself is consistent.

In fact, if you play the story with anything other than an internalized cold-blooded killer mentality, the story makes perfect sense.

A "competent" story is any piece of writing with proper punctuation and grammatical syntax. Green Eggs And Ham is a competent story. Teletubbies have competent writers. Which is where I suspect BioWare dug up the writer(s) of the consular arc.

You are not complaining about the writing, you're complaining that your choices don't have consequences. That's fair, but realistically, game consequences to story choices hamstring gameplay. Let's say that if you go DS, then the game really doesn't give you the Barsen'thor title or even make you a Master. Well, we know from the killing companions drama that no matter what people say, they really don't want consequences for their actions.

Playing a dark jedi should, as you suggest, mean that the order might afford you grudging respect for dealing with threats, but not the accolades of a light side jedi. Now also, there is no justification for giving you anything special for going darkside. You should just plain lose out.

Doing so would mean that everyone would feel 'forced' to go Light Side because the game doesn't reward you for not doing so. Whether that complaint has any merit, it would be made. You denounce the writers for doing their best to tell a story with some semblance of choice. This isn't a book. It's a game. A game that has to create the illusion of choice as well as try and present a coherent narrative. As I said above, you just didn't like the story. No need to engage in this pointless sophistry. Perhaps play it lightside and you'll like it better.

Playing against the general ethos of the faction is always difficult to portray. Frankly, I think the game would be better if some classes were locked into an alignment. But that's a different argument that goes to game design, not writing. The writing is fine, how it executes in the game is about the best one can expect when the player decides to do everything the character is taught not to do.

I've always found that if you need to resort to insults instead of argument then my point is made.

Edited by Master-Nala

The Consular story takes a long time to get going, I'll admit. And there are a couple of gaping flaws. But here's where the moment of Fridge Brilliance hit.

Almost every class in this game was designed as an expy of an iconic character in Star Wars. Want to play Obi-Wan Kenobi? Play a Knight. Want to be Han Solo? Play a Smuggler. Want a return trip to Republic Commando? Play a Trooper!

The Consular's expy? Leia Organa. Ignore the Force Powers. They're just a means to an end. What are you doing? Through Act 1, you are going planet to planet stopping some crazy Jedi who are using existing local conditions and political tensions as weaponry. You're defusing the situation with words and/or lightsaber diplomacy and keeping the situations from going nuclear.

Since you proved your worth in the first act by defusing four political near-disasters, the Supreme Chancellor sends you the job (again, the Jedi are just there to act as the messengers) of impressing a handful of neutral (but VERY strategic) worlds. One of these is Manaan; anyone remember how important these guys were in the first game? There's also a planet that got screwed over by both the Imperials and the Republic (Balmorra) with massive weapon and droid factories where you coordiate with the Resistance (Zenith) to pull off a coup and install Republic-friendly leadership. There's Quesh with their medical supplies and stim factories. You rescue the monarchs of the Sarkhai from ambush (yeah, they're joining the Republic after this, and lending you some troops for that armada) You score major brownie points with the Rift on Hoth by defeating a White Maw pirate who was preying on their fleet and pick up a decorated Republic officer (Felix Iresso) as a kind of liason between the Rift, the Order, and the Republic military (relations between the Order and Republic military haven't often been smooth - remember how much Bastila and Carth could bicker). Belsalvis? It's crawling with a species the Rakata didn't even want to screw with...and you recruit a karking army of them! Off to Voss where you make yourself a Big Damn Hero by being a potential Mystic's honor guard. In the end, you have a Mystic (remember, the Voss consider those guys to be nearly godlike and they are considered too valuable to leave the planet) and his entourage added to your fleet. You can also fulfil a prophesy that may put an end to the centuries of Voss/Gormak warfare. By the time you reach Corellia, you have a ragtag flotilla in tow...and said ragtag flotilla is made of some of the scariest stuff in the galaxy. Mind you, none of these guys are loyal to the Republic. They're loyal to you. You just happen to be loyal to the Republic.

The Children are like the plague-addled Masters...many of them twisted and altered by a dark force working in the shadows to sow unrest and destabilize political situations so that the Republic is fighting dozens of enemies and cannot trust their friends. You're the guy making sure that the other three classes have the support of local government and puttiong and end to Darth Cuthulu's attempt to destabilize the Republic and the Order through a network of Manchurian Agents. You give the other three classes the support they need to finish the job.

Edited by Allronix

• 2 weeks later...
The Consular story takes a long time to get going, I'll admit. And there are a couple of gaping flaws. But here's where the moment of Fridge Brilliance hit.

Almost every class in this game was designed as an expy of an iconic character in Star Wars. Want to play Obi-Wan Kenobi? Play a Knight. Want to be Han Solo? Play a Smuggler. Want a return trip to Republic Commando? Play a Trooper!

The Consular's expy? Leia Organa. Ignore the Force Powers. They're just a means to an end. What are you doing? Through Act 1, you are going planet to planet stopping some crazy Jedi who are using existing local conditions and political tensions as weaponry. You're defusing the situation with words and/or lightsaber diplomacy and keeping the situations from going nuclear.

Since you proved your worth in the first act by defusing four political near-disasters, the Supreme Chancellor sends you the job (again, the Jedi are just there to act as the messengers) of impressing a handful of neutral (but VERY strategic) worlds. One of these is Manaan; anyone remember how important these guys were in the first game? There's also a planet that got screwed over by both the Imperials and the Republic (Balmorra) with massive weapon and droid factories where you coordiate with the Resistance (Zenith) to pull off a coup and install Republic-friendly leadership. There's Quesh with their medical supplies and stim factories. You rescue the monarchs of the Sarkhai from ambush (yeah, they're joining the Republic after this, and lending you some troops for that armada) You score major brownie points with the Rift on Hoth by defeating a White Maw pirate who was preying on their fleet and pick up a decorated Republic officer (Felix Iresso) as a kind of liason between the Rift, the Order, and the Republic military (relations between the Order and Republic military haven't often been smooth - remember how much Bastila and Carth could bicker). Belsalvis? It's crawling with a species the Rakata didn't even want to screw with...and you recruit a karking army of them! Off to Voss where you make yourself a Big Damn Hero by being a potential Mystic's honor guard. In the end, you have a Mystic (remember, the Voss consider those guys to be nearly godlike and they are considered too valuable to leave the planet) and his entourage added to your fleet. You can also fulfil a prophesy that may put an end to the centuries of Voss/Gormak warfare. By the time you reach Corellia, you have a ragtag flotilla in tow...and said ragtag flotilla is made of some of the scariest stuff in the galaxy. Mind you, none of these guys are loyal to the Republic. They're loyal to you. You just happen to be loyal to the Republic.

The Children are like the plague-addled Masters...many of them twisted and altered by a dark force working in the shadows to sow unrest and destabilize political situations so that the Republic is fighting dozens of enemies and cannot trust their friends. You're the guy making sure that the other three classes have the support of local government and puttiong and end to Darth Cuthulu's attempt to destabilize the Republic and the Order through a network of Manchurian Agents. You give the other three classes the support they need to finish the job.

Wow! best post ever :), im a returning player and this makes me want to play the class from the beginning again, im inspired!

I agree that's a great summary of the consular story line. Consular was my first and I still enjoy parts of the story looking back. The problem is that the ideas (create an alliance, defuse political tensions, hold summits, etc.) are not effectively executed. There's way too much FETCH THIS ITEM (so that a meeting can happen) instead of fetch this item SO THAT A MEETING CAN HAPPEN. The story still has its moments, and if you really get into the lore and such it's pretty cool. But there's no signature moment that stands up to some of the other class stories. Agent, Sith Warrior, and Bounty Hunter all have a OH YEAH moment (or six). The consular, even when it's conceptually awesome, never quite pops.

And I say that as someone absolutely dedicated to the consular as my first, my favorite, my conceptual choice. It's like they had the right parameters but put the worst lead designer on the project. Except for trooper; that story blows way worse.

Allronix says it best: The scale of the Consular story is far above that what a single person can do. While others perform great, personal heroism, the Consular actually creates an army which is willing to follow him into battle through personal loyalty. You define the outcome of multiple battlefields, killing key Darths on key planets (Like Darth Lachriss on Balmorra), and bring all those allies down on the Empire when they attack Corellia, making the difference which results in the Republic's eventual victory on that planet.

The problem with the story really is, that the scale of the story is so big compared to the other, more personal, stories. This game does not bring that scale into view so well. Where are the shots of all those troops of yours fighting a battle on Corellia, for example? Or the shot of your armada coming into Corellia's orbit behind you? Some epic looking cutscenes in the last act would have been great to have to physically show the scale of your story. This is something the story misses.

I really dig the story - I'm playing total light side but RP'ing being conflicted about flirting and stuff. I just dinged 37 and while I know some folks thought Act 1 was slow, I've never played a multi-player before so thought it was good old fashioned BW fun. I'm in Chapter 2 now and have a 37th lvl Shadow and really am enjoying myself. Story wise the next chapter is starting to build so I'm excited when even the most skeptical have posted that it picks up in Act 2. That's great news for me since I had a blast in Act 1! :p

I really dig the story - I'm playing total light side but RP'ing being conflicted about flirting and stuff. I just dinged 37 and while I know some folks thought Act 1 was slow, I've never played a multi-player before so thought it was good old fashioned BW fun. I'm in Chapter 2 now and have a 37th lvl Shadow and really am enjoying myself. Story wise the next chapter is starting to build so I'm excited when even the most skeptical have posted that it picks up in Act 2. That's great news for me since I had a blast in Act 1! :p

Same here. I should stop reading these posts so that I don't ruin it for myself! :o