How I cope with the prequel trilogy (prequel lovers move along)

You people ***** and moan about the prequels so often, but the fact of the matter is that they're not going away at all, better to accept them than to continue complaining about something you'll never be able to get rid of or change. I love all six movies, the OT has problems just like the PT, seems that more people whine about some bs in the prequels, those same things (or at least similar) existed in the OT as well.

I'm actually hoping that ten or fifteen years from now we'll get a remake of the prequels that irons out all the horrific plot holes and actually tells the tragedy of Anakin's fall properly.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH I'm much less concerned with the inconsistencies as I am the general ****tiness of the prequels. But there are some glaring ones, like Leia knowing her mother. You can call that hairsplitting, but the scene where she mentions it was touching, and then in the prequels her mom dies a second after she has the babies...kinda messing that up. And that's the inconsistency that bugs me the most...tonal inconsistency. Original trilogy has emotional depth. Prequels are like a little kid telling a story..."And then, and then, and then..."

A possible implication was that Luke and Leia's mother had lived on Alderaan with her for a short time before succumbing to either and illness or grief or whatever. That's why Leia has memories of her and Luke, who was sent to Tattooine, doesn't. Maybe she was from Alderaan and that's why she went there with her baby? Maybe she was a queen or a member of the royal family and that's why Leia is a princess? I find this a much more interesting connection to the original trilogy than some random planet where some random queen is trapped by a trade embargo that serves no purpose and then and then and then...meh.

:wea_10:

Sir, is this the stick that has forcibly worked it's way up inside you?

Do you dislike the reviews for their style, or do you actually disagree with the content of the review's criticisms of the films?

I have watched them all, but the problem is, most of what he's saying can be applied to the Original Trilogy to, this is why I never will or have understood the PT vs OT, I literally don't see the major differences, a lot of what the OT fans claim is bad about the Prequels, an be applied very easily to a lot of stuff in the OT.

I would just like to confirm that I'm not a major fan of the films at all, far more interested in the Expanded Universe, perhaps I am not wearing rose-tinted glasses for this bash-off.

I have watched them all, but the problem is, most of what he's saying can be applied to the Original Trilogy to, this is why I never will or have understood the PT vs OT, I literally don't see the major differences, a lot of what the OT fans claim is bad about the Prequels, an be applied very easily to a lot of stuff in the OT.

I would just like to confirm that I'm not a major fan of the films at all, far more interested in the Expanded Universe, perhaps I am not wearing rose-tinted glasses for this bash-off.

Episodes IV and V are pretty solid films, assuming you don't mind the broad premises of the Empire and the Rebellion. But the thing is, neither of those things really need to be explained for the films to work. Since none of the EU existed when the films were made, they set their own premises. Now, the Death Star was a rather silly contraption, but it fit the theme of the Empire.

The only real issues I can see with the prequels are that they don't represent the scale of the Empire very well, but that's mostly due to financial limitations on the special effects. Aside from that, the characters are really vibrant and their interactions are memorable. The characters from the prequels just fall flat.

(

This explains how you get ridiculous elements like Anikan being concieved by the force, midi-chlorians, Obi-Wan not wanting to train the boy, then for weak reasons training him anyway, the council not wanting to train him, then for no reason whatsoever deciding to allow training him, the ridiculously unbelievable love story in which Anikan acts like a creepy douche 99% of the time yet still convinces Padme to marry him after 3 days, Mace Windu and all the Jedi's epic stupidity, etc.)

Anakin wasn't concieved by the force itself. Plagueis and Sidious' manipulations of force energy sent out ripples that did it. (That's the short answer). I'll give you midi-chlorians. Obi-wan wasn't Qui-gon. Obi-wan believed that the Council was pretty much infalliable, an extension of the Jedi Code. However he worshipped the ground Qui-gon walked on. So to obey the dying wish of his hero isn't exactly "weak" at all. Anakin was too old for training. Period. That's the rules, however They knew Obi-Wan was so desperate to obey his masters last request they couldn't stop him so they grudgingly allowed it rather than kick a powerful jedi knight out of the order. Padme and Anakin knew each other for years. At least a decade. Is it really that hard to assume they fell in love, especially when most of their interactions were off camera? Not really. Mace Windu and the Jedi were hardly stupid. They were fooled by one of the most powerful Sith Lords the galaxy had ever seen.

If you want to pick at flaws, at least find flaws. Not just things you don't like or understand.

I think he was doing that, because the quote says "one of" and not THE.

I...have trouble admitting that Sidious was the most powerful because of Vader. Don't get me wrong, in no point did Vader ever surpass Sidious, but he could have had he not gotten his limbs hacked to pieces. I understand that Sidious was, but at the same time I feel like that's a disservice to what Vader could have been, if that makes sense.

I...have trouble admitting that Sidious was the most powerful because of Vader. Don't get me wrong, in no point did Vader ever surpass Sidious, but he could have had he not gotten his limbs hacked to pieces. I understand that Sidious was, but at the same time I feel like that's a disservice to what Vader could have been, if that makes sense.

He only became 80% of Sidious, he had the potential for 200%, simple as that, Sidious was the greatest Sith of all time.

Could have being the key words, simple fact is...Vader didn't and Palpatine is. Though I don't see how its a disservice to Vader, he still became much more powerful afterwords.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Palpatine/Darth Sidious is my favorite character in the SW movies,party because Ian McDiarmid is an excellent actor.

But comon... when people say ''the most powerful'' or ''one of the most powerful'' in GALACTIC HISTORY,or something like that ... its rediciluos.

Yes he is maybe the most powerful sith in Bane's line and the most powerful being in his timeline,but even this is controversial because i am not sure he was really more powerful than Plagueis..Surely he is the most powerful force user in his time after Plagueis died.

But just because he is the main movie antagonist and some people decided to milk the stories from the movies in Dark Empire and other amateur fan fiction where he was overinflated and made into a god and other such nonsense doesn't mean squat imo.

All *real* evidence of his power is in the movies and in the Plagueis novel.Best case scenario he is *one* of the most powerful sith.But *the most powerful* .... this is just SW movies fanboy nonsense.

But enough of this,there is whole another thread here about how powerful Palpatine is.

Concerning Vader - yes he could have been the most powerful jedi/sith ever ,bla,bla,bla .fact of the matter is :he is a joke since Mustafar happened.

Edited by Kaedusz

Palpatine/Darth Sidious is my favorite character in the SW movies,party because Ian McDiarmid is an excellent actor.

But comon... when people say ''the most powerful'' or ''one of the most powerful'' in GALACTIC HISTORY,or something like that ... its rediciluos.

Yes he is maybe the most powerful sith in Bane's line and the most powerful being in his timeline,but even this is controversial because i am not sure he was really more powerful than Plagueis.Surely he is the most powerful force user in his time after Plagueis died.

But just because he is the main movie antagonist and some people decided to milk the stories from the movies in Dark Empire and other amateur fan fiction where he was overinflated and made into a god and other such nonsense doesn't mean squat imo.

All *real* evidence of his power is in the movies and in the Plagueis novel.Best case scenario he is *one* of the most powerful sith.But *the most powerful* .... this is just SW movies fanboy nonsense.

But enough of this,there is whole another thread here about how powerful Palpatine is.

Concerning Vader - yes he could have been the most powerful jedi/sith ever ,bla,bla,bla .fact of the matter is :he is a joke since Mustafar happened.

Even taking away Post-ROTJ, its still stated that Sidious is the most powerful sith lord ever and he was better then his master. Also Vader a joke after Mustafar? Hardly..but anyway this isn't the thread for this, so ending it here.

Yes he is maybe the most powerful sith in Bane's line and the most powerful being in his timeline,but even this is controversial because i am not sure he was really more powerful than Plagueis..Surely he is the most powerful force user in his time after Plagueis died.

I find it interesting that you consider G-canon to be SW movies fanboy nonsense. When something is the ultimate in canon it's...well...canon.

Anakin wasn't concieved by the force itself. Plagueis and Sidious' manipulations of force energy sent out ripples that did it. (That's the short answer). I'll give you midi-chlorians. Obi-wan wasn't Qui-gon. Obi-wan believed that the Council was pretty much infalliable, an extension of the Jedi Code. However he worshipped the ground Qui-gon walked on. So to obey the dying wish of his hero isn't exactly "weak" at all. Anakin was too old for training. Period. That's the rules, however They knew Obi-Wan was so desperate to obey his masters last request they couldn't stop him so they grudgingly allowed it rather than kick a powerful jedi knight out of the order. Padme and Anakin knew each other for years. At least a decade. Is it really that hard to assume they fell in love, especially when most of their interactions were off camera? Not really. Mace Windu and the Jedi were hardly stupid. They were fooled by one of the most powerful Sith Lords the galaxy had ever seen.

If you want to pick at flaws, at least find flaws. Not just things you don't like or understand.

You literally just made things up to support your argument. You win the internet.

You literally just made things up to support your argument. You win the internet.

What is he making up?

I'm actually pretty much done here. The prequel zombies have moved in and that was NOT the point of this thread.

So, your M.O. is to attempt to belittle folks because they do not toe your line?

Why do you even care?Luke ,Solo,Anakin and all those people are terrible and boring anyway,

Forget all this movies nonsense and focus on the *OLD* Republic.Revan,Malak Freedon Nadd,old Sith Empire,this Sith Empire,Exar Kun,Malgus ,ect,ect,ect,jedi Exile,Darth Nox,Emperor's Wrath,Kreia,Baras,Thanaton and so many others.

These characters are so much more epic and interesting than the melodrama carebear Luke,Anakin,Leia,Obi-Wan nonsense.

Everything before the Ruusan Reformation is so much better in terms of characters,story,events,ect.Don't know what all this SW movies hype is.They are bad... all of them .The prequels are a joke and the sequels are a joke.

The movies have life lightsaber action,jedi and sith in them and they started it all(the franchise),that is all they are good for.

I'm sorry, this post irritates me considering you're passing off what opened the door and started literally ALL of this as irrelevant, how can you have any appreciation for a car and say that the invention of the automobile was pointless? That's like saying that some person is the greatest whatever to have lived and it doesn't matter whether or not their parents existed (which if they didn't then the person wouldn't)... do you seriously have no logical mind whatsoever?

The fact of the matter comes down to this: you cannot ever elminate the original as the ultimate law. For example, the Star Trek reboot doesn't replace nor invalidate the originals, instead they're going about to retell the same story via different events... to take a piece of writing and after-the-fact change what the original was is pompous ignorance, since the TRUE fanbase is interested only because of the original. So any arguments made against the facts as laid down in the OT, are invalidated before they are even laid by pen (or keyboard as the case may be).

Also, go with a slight philosophical here, hating the movies is a fine personal choice, but to discount them when they are inclusive story by word of the original creator in favor of anything EU not written by Lucas himself, is to attribute to glorified fanfiction as opposed to credit where it is due to begin with

Yes, when it's all said and done now you can debate all these characters, their faults, their strengths and whatever else, but when it comes down to it. Lucas created the SW universe and therefore, his creations come first and foremost as the absolute truth within the universe. A mechanic doesn't dictate the workings of the car AFTER the engineer has built it...

Edited by LordFailstrom

most people where dissappointed in the prequals because they had expectations. rather then wanting to sit down and be told a story, they wanted GL to tell the story "they knew all along"

I agree with this too for the most part. Even I had expectations on what SHOULD have happened. Like I mentioned before, they are not great films, but they are enjoyable.

most people where dissappointed in the prequals because they had expectations. rather then wanting to sit down and be told a story, they wanted GL to tell the story "they knew all along"

Honestly I'm not a big fan myself. They were good movies, but not good Star Wars movies. I just think that most people such as the OP hate the movies simply because they've heard they're bad. All his reasons were easily explained away had he given it any thought. Someone else said it perfectly in this thread. Imho, the greatest moment in movie history was the fight between Vader and Luke in ROTJ. You could feel Luke struggling with the dark side, and even Vader struggling with fighting his only son. You were emotionally involved with everything that happened. From Ben's death, to Luke's tortured screams as Vader admits to being his father. When Han comes in and saves the day at the first death star you cheer. When the Rebels lose on Hoth it's traumatizing. Almost all the emotion is gone in the prequels. The only parts I feel did that well is Obi-wans cry when Qui-gon is killed, and Anakin's actual fall. I don't think Hayden is a bad actor, I think he was stunted. His scream of "I HATE YOU" when Obi-wan tells him he loves him is heart wrenching. There are definately great parts that make the prequels good movies. But they aren't Star Wars movies.