Best Way to Get Schematics?

Lynnx

Buy them on the GTN :D

In seriousness though.

Slicing can return schematics for Cybertech

Investigation can return schematics for Armormech/Synthweaving

Underworld Trading can return all schems, and seems to be the only crew skill that returns the Orange schematics.

Im curious about this as well. Are there specific missions, like in underworld trading you can get metals, gifts, or silks, or is it just completely random. Being on a lightly populated server this is kind of an issue for me since i cant rely on the gtn.

Schematics from my experience are dependent upon the primary material being used by the crafting skill.

Sythweaving = fabric mostly (though it does use underworld metals for heavy) so send companions on missions for luxury fabrics to get those schematic recipes.

Armormech is more metal based as well as Armstech so send them for underworld metals.

Cybertech can sometimes come from underworld metal missions but mostly from slicing. Slicing has also netting mission discoveries for most everything as well. Hope for crits when sending your companions out and you will likely get better returns.

Investigation, diplomacy and others have opportunities to bring you other treasures. Do like I did and make alts to cover all the ends and you wont need to ask these questions here. You will discover your answers will come to you as fast as your companions return.

AFAIK:

Underworld trading: I've only ever gotten orange armor schematics (both synthweave armor and armortech armor) from this.

Slicing: I've only ever gotten "miscellaneous" cybertech stuff from this. (i.e. speeders, spaceship upgrades, etc.)

Investigation: I don't have it. Description indicates prototype schematics, so I'd assume blue equipment of all styles. Doesn't seem to be a gap in blue consumables, (and I don't think I've ever seen schematics for them on sale) so I wouldn't expect to see any of those schematics from investigation.

As for usefulness? Until you can crit orange items, (or the appearance options are increased) the orange underworld trading ones are fairly worthless. I've been learning the ones I've found myself just because, and they seem to sell at default on the AH, (I guess to other people who just want a complete book?) but I can't see you really selling the finished items.

The slicing schematics? Ship parts are good money. The speeders are all expensive in mats and BoP, so pretty much completely worthless.

Investigation prototype schematics? You're almost always better off starting from green and REing your way to blue than to start off with blue. So I consider blue schematics to be like orange ones. Mostly worthless.

"10 Years and over 20 Mmo's and i still miss the first"

What do you consider 'the first' to be? Personally i will say the first out of the bigger more significant ones was EQ, and back then in 99 up till about 2004 was probably the BEST. Then Sony ran out of the ideas Verant had lying around on the side and they started jacking it all to hell.

Seriously, buy them from the GTN.

They're often dirt cheap, and there aren't really all that many of them. Going with Slicing in order to get schematics for Cybertech, for instance, is a waste of time--if that's all you want from Slicing, that is. I get them all the time, and almost always vendor them, as people usually sell them on the GTN for LESS than the vendor price.

Don't pick your skills based on getting schematics. That should be one of the last criteria you consider.

AFAIK:

Underworld trading: I've only ever gotten orange armor schematics (both synthweave armor and armortech armor) from this.

Slicing: I've only ever gotten "miscellaneous" cybertech stuff from this. (i.e. speeders, spaceship upgrades, etc.)

Investigation: I don't have it. Description indicates prototype schematics, so I'd assume blue equipment of all styles. Doesn't seem to be a gap in blue consumables, (and I don't think I've ever seen schematics for them on sale) so I wouldn't expect to see any of those schematics from investigation.

I concur with the UT/Slicing results.

From Investigation, I've been able to get some Armstech, Biochem, and Artifice schematics.

• 1 month later...