Did I hear this right?

Uluain

You mean logical, well thought out arguements like:

"You are not allowed to disagree with my opinion and if you do it makes you homophobic"?

OR

"We acknowledge that we have no official confirmation that SGRs are still even in this games development pipeline but we will just ignore all that and shout people down with 'Its happening, its already decided whether you like it or not'...'its only a case of WHEN and not IF"

Logical and well thought out indeed :)

Driz

If your argument against sgr is down to your personal beliefs, then no, that shouldn't be considered. Keep your personal beliefs to yourself. If you're arguing against sgr in terms of, say, it takes away dev time from other things, then sure, argue away:)

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your argument against sgr is down to your personal beliefs, then no, that shouldn't be considered. Keep your personal beliefs to yourself. If you're arguing against sgr in terms of, say, it takes away dev time from other things, then sure, argue away:)

So unless you are openly being hypocritical then you would assume the same rules for yourself? That means:

If your argument FOR sgr is down to your personal beliefs, then no, that shouldn't be considered. Keep your personal beliefs to yourself. If you're arguing FOR sgr in terms of, say, it ADDS benefits to the existing game, then sure, argue away...

Now that means you cant use the "discrimination" card and you can't use the "because hetero romance options are already in game" arguement either.

Now you are down to the black and white of how SGR will improve the current game aside from catering to a minority, in which case, it is easy to argue that the required development effort is not worth the long term benefit to the game.

Driz

So unless you are openly being hypocritical then you would assume the same rules for yourself? That means:

If your argument FOR sgr is down to your personal beliefs, then no, that shouldn't be considered. Keep your personal beliefs to yourself. If you're arguing FOR sgr in terms of, say, it ADDS benefits to the existing game, then sure, argue away...

Now that means you cant use the "discrimination" card and you can't use the "because hetero romance options are already in game" arguement either.

Now you are down to the black and white of how SGR will improve the current game aside from catering to a minority, in which case, it is easy to argue that the required development effort is not worth the long term benefit to the game.

Driz

Ok cool, now we're talking. My argument against you saying its not worth the development time due to the small amount of people it would benefit would be..

Bioware's own metrics have said a minority of players do operations. Lets not add any more then. And what about crafting, hood toggles, space revamp, new pets? Are any improvements on these going to benefit the majority?

Then there's the fact no one knows how many players would participate in sgr. Also, this game has always been about story, and adding sgr would add to the story. More options for players to choose. Adding to the biggest part of this game would be a beneficial thing.

"This is already decided, no point discussing IF its only a case of WHEN"...

You already conceded that you have no information to confirm that SGRs are DEFINITELY happening yet you routinely shout down any objectors with comments to the effect that SGRs are already a done deal???

Driz

Once again, Bioware has already stated that they are adding them. It was a definitive post. Until such time as they state they are not adding them we have definite proof that they are via the post that they themselves repeatedly link to in response to the question of SGRA's. How many more times are you going to ignore the fact that the statements made in the past are proof? Do we want clarification on if they are still reliable? Yes, but until we are told one way or the other, they are still considered definite.

What makes you think you will get any story out of this? None of the companions have any story when it comes to romance. It really is Flirt, flirt and black screen. Won't be any different for SRG stuff.

It is common sense that resources will be better spent on other things and this will be addressed with some other update that needs voice actors. It would be foolish of them to pay a bunch of people for this when it isn't that big of a thing and not really interesting to most players.

What makes you think this is important? It is a minority group thing and I hope you get it but spamming the 1st page with this isn't doing your agenda any good

You are correct about that...just wanted to say that. I have romanced a few companions, and have not gotten a story out of any of them.It's just a few dialogues on the ship and some dirty talk before a black screen. Jaesa for example, only talks about how obsessed she is with you, and that she adores you, and will do anything for you, and talks about how she feels about the jedi, etc... I don't consider that a story really. To me, a story would be like one Anakin and Padme had in the movies.

Edited by cool-dude

Ok cool, now we're talking. My argument against you saying its not worth the development time due to the small amount of people it would benefit would be..

Bioware's own metrics have said a minority of players do operations. Lets not add any more then. And what about crafting, hood toggles, space revamp, new pets? Are any improvements on these going to benefit the majority?

Then there's the fact no one knows how many players would participate in sgr. Also, this game has always been about story, and adding sgr would add to the story. More options for players to choose. Adding to the biggest part of this game would be a beneficial thing.

1. Focusing development effort on creating new items like gear, armor, hood toggles, speech bubbles, pets etc etc etc WILL be beneficial to the game because it a) increases options for character customisation which is something that the WHOLE community has been asking for and b) It would also benefit the game far more than SGRs because all of those sorts of items can be monetised in some way and included in the Cartel Store. This will provide an increase in revenue leading to further cyclical development of additional content.

Whereas SGRs will improve the game by....adding a FTB screen to appease a minority.

2. Whilst you are right in the sense that story is the biggest part of this game, I believe you are incorrect in your assumption that SGR equal story. They do not. IF SGRs are added you are talking about maybe one or two extra flirt / dialogue options and a fade to black screen.....that is not "story" in the sense of being the fourth pillar of the game therefore it's disingenuous to aruge that as a selling point for SGRs.

So, out of the points you made I have detailed why spending time and effort on other content would beneift the entire game as a whole. Spending time and effort on SGRs would seem to have very minor benefits outside of minority appeasement, minor RPing benefits and thats about it as far as I can tell.....

Driz

How exactly do you not see romances as part of story. That's an indelible fact. Having more romances with companions allows you to view them from another lense. Just because you only think of story as the linear main plot doesn't make all the other details insignificant.

Personally another aspect I'd love to see brought into this game is party banter, but that's neither here nor there.

1. Focusing development effort on creating new items like gear, armor, hood toggles, speech bubbles, pets etc etc etc WILL be beneficial to the game because it a) increases options for character customisation which is something that the WHOLE community has been asking for and b) It would also benefit the game far more than SGRs because all of those sorts of items can be monetised in some way and included in the Cartel Store. This will provide an increase in revenue leading to further cyclical development of additional content.

Whereas SGRs will improve the game by....adding a FTB screen to appease a minority.

2. Whilst you are right in the sense that story is the biggest part of this game, I believe you are incorrect in your assumption that SGR equal story. They do not. IF SGRs are added you are talking about maybe one or two extra flirt / dialogue options and a fade to black screen.....that is not "story" in the sense of being the fourth pillar of the game therefore it's disingenuous to aruge that as a selling point for SGRs.

So, out of the points you made I have detailed why spending time and effort on other content would beneift the entire game as a whole. Spending time and effort on SGRs would seem to have very minor benefits outside of minority appeasement, minor RPing benefits and thats about it as far as I can tell.....

Driz

What about space and ops though? Should they devote time to these, even if most of the playerbase wouldn't benefit?

I'm all for having content added, even if it only benefits a minority of players, because I see it as adding to the game as a whole. I believe it's the little things, like speech bubbles, minigames, etc that give all the community something extra. Sure, person A might not want speech bubbles, whereas person B does, but then person A might want more space missions, and person B doesn't. If it takes a while to develop both, and it pleases both players, why not?

Edited by utio

Quote: Originally Posted by Xatasha

What makes you think you will get any story out of this? None of the companions have any story when it comes to romance. It really is Flirt, flirt and black screen. Won't be any different for SRG stuff.

It is common sense that resources will be better spent on other things and this will be addressed with some other update that needs voice actors. It would be foolish of them to pay a bunch of people for this when it isn't that big of a thing and not really interesting to most players.

What makes you think this is important? It is a minority group thing and I hope you get it but spamming the 1st page with this isn't doing your agenda any good

You are correct about that...just wanted to say that. I have romanced a few companions, and have not gotten a story out of any of them.It's just a few dialogues on the ship and some dirty talk before a black screen. Jaesa for example, only talks about how obsessed she is with you, and that she adores you, and will do anything for you, and talks about how she feels about the jedi, etc... I don't consider that a story really. To me, a story would be like one Anakin and Padme had in the movies.

Yes to both of the posts above. Lets get more story added to the game. I loved my trooper story line, just loved it and i have to agree any optional romance fluff didnt add to it.

One of the posters in this thread has a sig. asking for real space combat. Yes please! I didnt mind the mini game space combat when i first started back in nov / dec 2011 because i was like obviously theyre going to make it where you can free fly your ship and of course you'll be able to have pvp type space combat.

Of course i was the idiot for thinking that. I also initially thought the game was so well thought out and planned that the Dark / Light choices in the game were for way more than for a few items here and there. What!? So theres no way for my bounty hunter to make light choices then somewhere in the story (choose your own adventure style) when i'll have the option to defect and join the republic??

That was a huge let down for me but thats just my fault for not being a person who follows game development. I just preorder and play. Anyway my point is its like people dont really want anything real, fun, exciting, adventurous from the game.

Hey bioware add pets now! add guys doing guys and chicks doing chicks now! We need another dance.

What about space and ops though? Should they devote time to these, even if most of the playerbase wouldn't benefit?

I'm all for having content added, even if it only benefits a minority of players, because I see it as adding to the game as a whole. I believe it's the little things, like speech bubbles, minigames, etc that give all the community something extra. Sure, person A might not want speech bubbles, whereas person B does, but then person A might want more space missions, and person B doesn't. If it takes a while to develop both, and it pleases both players, why not?

When you mention a majority of players not doing flashpoints ( even if its stats from bioware) youre missing the fact that those players are gone. I was one of them. Made a 50 trooper with 6 days early play, and most of dec and i was all about missions and flashpoints.

The other guys that joined me from other games were more into flashpoints than anything else. When you do them a few times..well you dont want to keep doing the same ones. Youre hoping they add more content. Youre hoping they support players who love their character and want to do more with that 1 character.

That brings me to this. The assumption that those players would want to make alts. Almost like saying well youve done all you can do with that 1 guy..go do warzones with em. Other than that make 7 alts. I made 2 within that time and neither one made it to 25. Its like asking bioware to no longer try to get more subscribers or just give up on those hardcore type guys who also pay money. But instead ....hey we are all you have so dont try to do anything eye catching anymore.

How exactly do you not see romances as part of story. That's an indelible fact. Having more romances with companions allows you to view them from another lense. Just because you only think of story as the linear main plot doesn't make all the other details insignificant.

Personally another aspect I'd love to see brought into this game is party banter, but that's neither here nor there.

I guess I am thinking of story as in the fourth pillar of the game and purtaining to immersive, high quality cut-scenes with well written dialogue and professional voice acting, strung together in a manner that moves your game experience forwards.

As far as I understand it, if they are added to the game, SGRs will comprise some additional dialogue and flirt options on the dialogue wheel followed by a fade to black....I don't consider that to be the same fourth pillar type story content as it is with class quest story etc.

I agree completely on the party banter...one of my favourite things about DAO was listening to the party banter and little arguements as I wondered around the game world....I would class party banter and SGRs as immersion but not story perse.

Driz

• Dev Post
Hi everyone. We've had to remove a large number of posts from this thread for violating our Rules of Conduct. Please remember that personal attacks and discussions of real-world social and political issues are not permitted on the forums. It is perfectly fine to state whether or not you want a feature in the game, but resorting to personal attacks or bringing up debates about social issues is not appropriate. Edited by AllisonBerryman

When you mention a majority of players not doing flashpoints ( even if its stats from bioware) youre missing the fact that those players are gone. I was one of them. Made a 50 trooper with 6 days early play, and most of dec and i was all about missions and flashpoints.

The other guys that joined me from other games were more into flashpoints than anything else. When you do them a few times..well you dont want to keep doing the same ones. Youre hoping they add more content. Youre hoping they support players who love their character and want to do more with that 1 character.

That brings me to this. The assumption that those players would want to make alts. Almost like saying well youve done all you can do with that 1 guy..go do warzones with em. Other than that make 7 alts. I made 2 within that time and neither one made it to 25. Its like asking bioware to no longer try to get more subscribers or just give up on those hardcore type guys who also pay money. But instead ....hey we are all you have so dont try to do anything eye catching anymore.

I wasnt talking about flashpoints, but I know what you mean. They should, of course, keep adding to endgame content. All added content is good, even if some players don't want it. As for your comment about alts, this game is focused around story, and I would assume making alts to see that story is what bioware expected to happen.

This is a BioWare game, for those who have forgotten. If you've played any BioWare games before, you know this much is true: BioWare does Storytelling, and they do it very very well. BioWare also has a habit of putting SGRs into their games, to the point where it's now expected and accepted. If you're not into that part, you don't have to play that part. It's simple, folks. For those who are dead set against it, don't pick the SGR flirt options when they get put in. It's not like anyone is going to force you to do it. The ESRB has already stated that SGR content is treated exactly the same as OGR content, as far as ratings go, so that's a non-issue.

If this is your first BioWare game, then get used to these facts about them. I just hope they make Kira available for a female Knight. :D

Since the other thread was locked and this is allowed to be open for the time being, I'll put my say in simple and upfront:

I don't care about your ops or warzones or flashpoints just as much as you don't care about my SGRA's, but the thing is that this is and has always been a story-based game, and SGRA's are part of the story. That's what I play this game for, and all your "updates" and "fixes" that need to happen before the story are your own opinions. What this game needs is more story added to it before it caters to the player base the game wasn't meant for.

I wonder if Bioware will ever choose to answer this question. I mean this thread has only been here for like a few months now.

Trust me when I say: No.

This is white noise, one of a dozen topics like Space Combat, paid server transfers, etc, which do not get answered.

Trust me when I say: No.

This is white noise, one of a dozen topics like Space Combat, paid server transfers, etc, which do not get answered.

Funny then how hood toggles have received two Dev Tracker BW replies in as many months, while nothing, ever has been said about same-gender romance on these forums, other than a repaste of a statement made in Sept. 2011 on the beta forums. Really, if they want me to stop asking, the solution is simple: give us an update.

We would very much appreciate an update regarding SGR's at this time. Considering the updates we have had, this issue is by no means trite. For those who say there are more important things to consider about this game, these were on the dev tracker:

[Music] Constant music option / loop please | 11.14.2012, 09:59 PM

We certainly haven't forgotten! As soon as we have any more information about music looping, we'll definitely post it!

Hood on/off toggle for Jedi | 11.13.2012, 04:48 PM

Hi everyone! The most recent word on hood toggle is from Matt Boudreaux in this post in early October:

"Hood up and hood down is still in the works. Unfortunately, it requires a few changes to our art pipeline and reprocessing those assets by the artists. The team has been hard at work on our upcoming content, and priorities put hood up/down on the back burner just a bit, but it's still on the To Do list and we are still very much aware of the demand - by developers and players alike!"

The feature is still something we want to add, but we don't have a date at this time.

Meet the Developers: Hall Hood | 11.01.2012, 08:03 PM

Hello everyone,

Please discuss this week's Meet the Developers: Hall Hood blog in this thread!

If you have any questions for Hall, please ask them here. In the near future, we'll have some answers from him for you!

We are not asking for a patch for this matter (although they did previously state end of this year.) All we want is updated information.

It is not supporters of SGR's who are dragging this out, it is BW/EA. They have time to bring floating chairs and white colour crystals and pets to the game, surely equality amongst playerbase should be near the top of the list too.

With potential new subscribers entering this game, now would be the perfect time to show what updates you have in store, BW/EA. Please update us on SGR's, any news would be gladly received (even if it is bad news! :( )

x

Considering they have said NOTHING on this subject, even the rainbow crowd can agree that it aint gonna happen........Lets face it, they are not going to pay all those dollars to give a minority of users a couple of new dialogues and a FTB screen, get real.