Is a RP-PVP server right for me?

H-tess

Hello, I'm curious for ppls opinions on RP-PVP server types. This is really the first time I've ever considered rolling a main on one. Usually I'm strictly a PVE server guy, But spent aboout a year on a WoW PvP server and kinda enjoyed the ganking, at least when I won.

I'm in love with the storylines here and really surprised at the lack of interest of playing out the story when I'm grped here . I think SWTOR is so different from other MMo's because of the voice acting and story telling. And truth be told I'm a bit turned off by players who...{spacebar} there way through the game and expect others there grped with too. It appears everyone I group with (and in my guild) are on the mission to hit lvl cap in the first month of the game.

I guess thats the new norm now. I'm actually am kinda old school and enjoy the lvl grind. I remember the sense of accomplishment in DAOC when it was new, getting to 50 meant something back then.

Anyways to wrap up, I don't consider myself an RPer, But I think being on an RP server may be helpful in finding a group of players that arent in a rush to lvl cap and just wanna enjoy the game and all its storytelling.

Only one way to find out is to lvl up a toon and see, But, I'm I right?

I think I got your threads out of order? If so ignore this, as you've already responded lol.

Anyhooooo, I think you will enjoy Ven Zallow. Most likely. Sure there are a few people who power-spacebar through things (or heck ignore all missions and just do pvp warzones over and over), but it depends. For the most part I've found good results on the republic side. Unsure yet about the empire... kind of a rowdy bunch ;)

The only other server type would be plain RP (RP-PVE). Since it doesn't have many pvp minded people in it at all, just more story driven folk. You lose the spice of world pvp there though.

Only thing I can suggest is to try us out. Be verbal in general (in a good way, not slander), make note of guilds who appear to play the game more like your style, and just go from there!

Short answer, not really if you want to RP, on PVP servers you pretty much vae to PVP and imagine the RP as you go along because people who stand around talking are the ones who die.

I made a big post about this there, there's a whole thread about it http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=51444&page=10 :)

Edited by SelinaK

Short answer, not really if you want to RP, on PVP servers you pretty much vae to PVP and imagine the RP as you go along because people who stand around talking are the ones who die.

Heya SelinaK ;)

It kind of depends on a persons RP desires. Granted if someone really really wants to RP with the opposing faction (have long winded talks about fighting, but not actually fight)... then an RP-PvE server is best. But if someone is content with only RP'ing with their fellow faction, and then desiring to slaughter the opposing faction... a RP-PvP server is best.

So for example, I love to RP with my fellows, my comrads, my friends. The 'other guys' I just want to kill, then say a few parting lines IC over their dead corpses (and sometimes a few lines during battle to spice things up... all IC of course).

• 2 weeks later...
SelinaK, you were right. I am loathing the RP-PvP server choice now. Its clear to me how right you are after dealing with the community on Ven Zallow. Just a bunch of warzone junkies and jerks who scoff at people who do everything else but warzones.

I made a big post about this there, there's a whole thread about it http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=51444&page=10 :)

Completely not true. There is RP on an RP-PvP server. It always strikes me as funny that the RP-PvE vs. RP-PvP battles are always started by the RP-PvErs saying that a play style that many of us enjoy regularly is "not possible". That's nonsense.

However, OP, you may actually find what you want in RP-PvE. With the wonderful decision Bioware made to have both RP-PvP servers and RP-PvE with dueling and PvP-flagging, you can integrate some PvP into your RP on either server type.

I say, give RP-PvP a try. There may be a larger population of RPers to work with on Jung Ma because it's the server selected by a very large consortium of guilds wanting to play on a single RP-PvP server.