George Lucas rumored to be erasing original trilogy (and he should).

loudent

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you even read the reply I posted? Because you fundamentally misunderstand that it doesnt matter what anyone thinks about midichloreans...its based in ignorance.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Midi-chlorian

in no way do midichlorians do what those people think it does.

Midichlorians does not = the force

Without them, there is no knowledge of the force nor is there a way to interact with it and in no way is it indicated otherwise in the movies.

The creation of midichlorians was a way to explain HOW the force can be used in a scientific explainable way. It does not take away one single bit from the mystical aspect of there being an energy field we can manipulate to be uber leet doods with supapowas!

Maybe it doesn't change it for you. But for the vast majority, it does.

George can do whatever he wants and Star Wars fans will shove it down their throat and ask for seconds this includes ruining any form of original canon so he can make way for an almost guaranteed success with a TV series.

I'm a Star Wars fan and will never buy the blu-ray version or any other modified version of the trilogy.

George Lucas can do what he wants but I'm not going to buy into any of his new ideas.

I'm just glad I have the original trilogy version.

Cells and elements are part of crude matter. The force and luminous qualities of it are not, as clearly stated above by Yoda. Or should I assume your interpretation of something everyone else takes at face value to be correct? No, it was changed and changed for the worse. The Force was an energy field created by life and was present in ALL THINGS which allows it to be BOUND to all things (and being bound, apart of).

When we see Ghost Anakin and Obi-Wan they aren't there as Elements, they are glowing energy.

Gawd...Midichlorians is not THE FORCE and the movies never said it was. Midichlorians are our connection TO the force.

Gawd...Midichlorians is not THE FORCE and the movies never said it was. Midichlorians are our connection TO the force.

No it's not. It's a cell in someones body. If you can take a blood test to test your levels, then it's Physical. And NOT the force. The force is an energy field. A mystical energy field. It has nothing to with Science. Star Wars is Science Fantasy, not science fiction in the sense that Star Trek is. I think you must just be trolling now.

Edited by Tinasa

I'm very much in the skeptical/nonbeliever camp on this one. But assuming its true for a moment, it seems like a strange direction for GL to go with the franchise. Time Travel doesn't seem very Star Warsy to me. It sounds like he saw Star Trek (2009) and said, "hmm maybe thats how we undo all that stuff that made me a house hold name."

Your star trek quote rings closer to the truth then most folks know....

Lucas wants a reboot and has been shopping the idea within the film industry for a few years now...

No it's not. It's a cell in someones body. If you can take a blood test to test your levels, then it's Physical. And NOT the force. The force is an energy field. A mystical energy field. It has nothing to with Science. Star Wars is Science Fantasy, not science fiction in the sense that Star Trek is. I think you must just be trolling now.

at no point did I say Midichlorians IS THE FORCE. They are the explaination for how we connect TO the force.

at no point did I say Midichlorians IS THE FORCE. They are the explaination for how we connect TO the force.

What you are either deliberately ignoring or just seem to not understand is, that the force is what does the connecting. Not some cell in your body. You can't sit here and say you aren't calling it the force, but then tell me it's responsible for the Force doing what it does. You can't have it both ways.

And they most certainly did say it was the force. If you have more of the cells then anyone else, you are stronger in the force. A stupid, stupid idea that destroyed everything we understood.

Instead of training and becoming closer to force, you just need to be born with these cells. Completely undoes so much of the mythology.

Edited by Tinasa

Also, this is a completely false statement. All cells have energy and all energy can have an observed quantity...this was found by the freaking ancient greeks thousands of years ago and should be basic knowledge.

Also, this is a completely false statement. All cells have energy and all energy can have an observed quantity...this was found by the freaking ancient greeks thousands of years ago and should be basic knowledge.

Material cells give off energy. But the force is NOT CRUDE MATTER.

Edited by Averran
rude

What you are either deliberately ignoring or just seem to not understand is, that the force is what does the connecting. Not some cell in your body. You can't sit here and say you aren't calling it the force, but then tell me it's responsible for the Force doing what it does. You can't have it both ways.

Actually I can, because you are basing everything on assumptions, I am basing it on actual information.

Even the star wars site says you are wrong, the canon says you are wrong, the movies say you are wrong.

Guess what, you are wrong.

If you are right, give me a single line from the movie that says midichlorians is the force. If you cant...dont you think its time to stop and re-think your assumptions?

Actually I can, because you are basing everything on assumptions, I am basing it on actual information.

Even the star wars site says you are wrong, the canon says you are wrong, the movies say you are wrong.

Guess what, you are wrong.

If you are right, give me a single line from the movie that says midichlorians is the force. If you cant...dont you think its time to stop and re-think your assumptions?

I have never claimed that midichloreans are the Force, which is why I told you to take ten seconds to click on the damn link. But since you seem incapable of doing that, let me copy-paste for you.

The problem with midichloreans isn't that there's a scientific explanation for how Jedi use The Force: it's that it's an unnecessary explanation. Its the answer to a question nobody asked. People were perfectly happy accepting The Force as a mystical energy field that flowed through all living things. Giving a scientific explanation for Force ability as a measurable quantity makes it far more mundane.

This is spot on. Most people who are upset about midichlorians are us who grew up with the original trilogy. Back then you felt anyone could be a Jedi if they worked hard and learned the mysteries of the force. Even a farmboy could learn it. Most people had no idea what being a Jedi entailed other than they got a cool sword and could sense things and use telekinesis. Most people were ok with that since it gave a certain mystic feeling to it all. Then "A Phantom Menace" comes along and we all learn that we need these parasites to connect to the force and how strong you are is dependent on how many of these parasites you have. That just really ruined it for us old timers. It changed the whole story of a simple farmboy who learns the force in order to save the galaxy from the mysterious emperor and the evil Darth Vader. It turns out instead that this simple farmboy has alot of these parasite things and that is why he is able to become a powerful Jedi and defeat the empire. It just loses something with the explanation. Lucas should have just left it alone.

Not to mention that for someone like Yoda, you assumed he was so amazingly powerful because of his age and his unwavering faith in The Force: that a Jedi's strength in the Force was only limited by his own convictions. You know, that size matters not.

Well, apparently size matters not, but midichlorean density does. :rolleyes:

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

I have never claimed that midichloreans are the Force, which is why I told you to take ten seconds to click on the damn link. But since you seem incapable of doing that, let me copy-paste for you.

Funny how you just quoted me talking to someone else and acted like I was talking to you. Trolling? If not, dont take me out of context to make it sound like something it isnt.

The link you posted was refuted by the link I posted in reply to you.

Also, a lot of the posts on that thread are for the idea or against the idea that people are against the idea...the LONGEST post is a rant about people complaining about the great explaination followed by people that agree with him.

Its easy to dismiss those that disagree with you and pretend they arent there to try to boost your stance...a stance mostly based on assumtions...or that two of the quotes to prove your point just so happens to be your own lol.

Edited by gregordunbar

there's an interesting article over a rumor that George Lucas intends to undo the events in the original trilogy and that he should).

The idaa is that some bounty hunters develop time traveling technology and go back and prevent anakin from becoming Darth Vader. I'm assuming this also prevents Palpatine's plans to come to fruition.

Read more here:

How George Lucas May Erase "Star Wars"

Funny.

Seeing as Lucas himself said he is retiring from the film industry in general after the release of his latest movie.

Funny.

Seeing as Lucas himself said he is retiring from the film industry in general after the release of his latest movie.

The rumor is referring to the supposed Star Wars TV Series, not a film ...

Take it for what it's worth. Like Yogi Berra said, an oral contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on :p

Take it and run

All this assumes that these people are SUCCESSFUL in changing the past (and that requires the rumor to be true, which I doubt).

Depending on what time travel theory you subscribe to, there are a few options;

1. Time is immutable. All you do is cause the very thing you were trying to change. The Disney series Gargoyles played with this a lot. Xanatos had a great comment on that, in response to a threat from Goliath about leaving him in the past.

"But you won't, because you didn't. Time travel's funny that way."

Personally, I love this one, because it has the potential for so much grief. You go back to, say, stop a murder, only to find out either that YOU were the murderer, or that your actions somehow prompted said murder. So, if you never went back, this never would have happened ...

*snip*

Take it and run

Personally, I am betting on the following.

A bounty hunter goes back in time to kill Shmi, Anakin's mother. Anakin finds out, and pursues the bounty hunter through time. In the process of trying to locate the bounty hunter, Anakin meets a young woman and falls in love. They sleep together, then Anakin finds and kills the bounty hunter, and then he returns to his own time. Only later, when he is looking into Shmi's face at the Tuskin camp does he come to realize that the young woman he met was Shmi.

Thus, we find the true reason why Anakin went berserk and turned to the dark side and why Shmi said there was no father. Anakin is his own father.

All future versions of Episode V will contain the line, "Luke, *wheeze* I am your father ... and ... uh ... your grandfather. It's kind of complex."

(I call this the "Terminator meets Fry" scenario.) :D

Edited by Sotaudi

there's an interesting article over a rumor that George Lucas intends to undo the events in the original trilogy and that he should).

The idaa is that some bounty hunters develop time traveling technology and go back and prevent anakin from becoming Darth Vader. I'm assuming this also prevents Palpatine's plans to come to fruition.

Read more here:

How George Lucas May Erase "Star Wars"

I would consider this article credible save for one key point. Lucas has time and again said Luke Skywalker was the greatest Jedi ever. Why would he erase the trilogy of his fantasy alter-ego? For no reason because he wont.

If they did this I'd bet there would be some kind of correction that would keep the timeline the same with only an "attempt" to kill anikin being left behind as a page in history and a bunch of dead time travelers in a ditch on hutta. I imagine they wouldn't create a series based in an alternate parallel universe but hey ya never know because I doubt GL would want his name associated with the show if the first episode involved successfully assassinating an important character and completely erasing the events in the OT. If the show does start airing and is well casted and acted I will watch it and judge it after I see it instead of just hating on it to hate on something.

Funny how you just quoted me talking to someone else and acted like I was talking to you. Trolling? If not, dont take me out of context to make it sound like something it isnt.

The link you posted was refuted by the link I posted in reply to you.

Also, a lot of the posts on that thread are for the idea or against the idea that people are against the idea...the LONGEST post is a rant about people complaining about the great explaination followed by people that agree with him.

Its easy to dismiss those that disagree with you and pretend they arent there to try to boost your stance...a stance mostly based on assumtions...or that two of the quotes to prove your point just so happens to be your own lol.

Okay, let me put you in context then.

Did you even read the reply I posted? Because you fundamentally misunderstand that it doesnt matter what anyone thinks about midichloreans...its based in ignorance.

in no way do midichlorians do what those people think it does.

Midichlorians does not = the force

Without them, there is no knowledge of the force nor is there a way to interact with it and in no way is it indicated otherwise in the movies.

The creation of midichlorians was a way to explain HOW the force can be used in a scientific explainable way. It does not take away one single bit from the mystical aspect of there being an energy field we can manipulate to be uber leet doods with supapowas!

The problem with midichloreans isn't that there's a scientific explanation for how Jedi use The Force: it's that it's an unnecessary explanation. Its the answer to a question nobody asked. People were perfectly happy accepting The Force as a mystical energy field that flowed through all living things. Giving a scientific explanation for Force ability as a measurable quantity makes it far more mundane.

This is spot on. Most people who are upset about midichlorians are us who grew up with the original trilogy. Back then you felt anyone could be a Jedi if they worked hard and learned the mysteries of the force. Even a farmboy could learn it. Most people had no idea what being a Jedi entailed other than they got a cool sword and could sense things and use telekinesis. Most people were ok with that since it gave a certain mystic feeling to it all. Then "A Phantom Menace" comes along and we all learn that we need these parasites to connect to the force and how strong you are is dependent on how many of these parasites you have. That just really ruined it for us old timers. It changed the whole story of a simple farmboy who learns the force in order to save the galaxy from the mysterious emperor and the evil Darth Vader. It turns out instead that this simple farmboy has alot of these parasite things and that is why he is able to become a powerful Jedi and defeat the empire. It just loses something with the explanation. Lucas should have just left it alone.

Not to mention that for someone like Yoda, you assumed he was so amazingly powerful because of his age and his unwavering faith in The Force: that a Jedi's strength in the Force was only limited by his own convictions. You know, that size matters not.

Well, apparently size matters not, but midichlorean density does. :rolleyes:

Happy now?

Also, if you'd paid attention to my earlier statement, I sent you that link so I wouldn't have to repeat myself. So of course the quotes are by me, genius.

And what in god's name does your link refute? I in no way implied that midichloreans are the Force. If you slow your ranting for a bit and actually read what I said, I explained to you that the problem with midichloreans is they quantify Force ability, and provide an explanation for how Jedi connect to the Force that nobody asked for. It implies that no matter how much a Jedi frees his mind, lets go of his inhibitions and surrenders to the Force, there's a biological upper limit to his abilities. This inherently detracts from the mystical aspect of the Force and how a Jedi uses it.

Star Wars isn't sci-fi, so the fact that this is the one thing that gets a scientific explanation in the whole of the six movies only serves to highlight what an idiot plot point it is, and how the dialogue surrounding it was unnecessary and superfluous.