Serious Question for People on Laptops

MortisMortavius

The Human eye can't really see past 60FPS so anything over that is good... other than that why does it matter really?

I mean i have a A8 Quad core 3500 with Dual Core 6750 Graphic cards i am sure ill run it over 60fps

5 years ago it was anything over 30fps...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought i5s were quads.

You know it's interesting ... Device Manager shows 4 CPUs ... which would lead me to believe that it's a quad core processor... but the laptop was never advertised as that at all... odd.

I'll probably try tweaking more settings (when I get access) and see if there's a magic setting it just doesn't like dealing with...

Thanks for the responses everyone, definitely helps to put things in perspective about how it's running on a variety of different setups :)

@ the OP:

Full HD resolution is pretty hardcore for your current video card to handle out games at full settings.

Your CPU is fine. Ram is more than enough.

420m is your problem. And the resolution. Try to lower it.

last edit: and YES. All i* processors are quad cores.

Edited by djalexa

Mine seems to run fairly well on my laptop at high resolution (1920 x 1080).

Had to make sure the power management wasn't on "power save" though.

i7 1.73 GHz

Radeon 5850

8GB DDR3 Memory

Cooling pad really did help, though.

Edited by ponchovilla

You know it's interesting ... Device Manager shows 4 CPUs ... which would lead me to believe that it's a quad core processor... but the laptop was never advertised as that at all... odd.

I'll probably try tweaking more settings (when I get access) and see if there's a magic setting it just doesn't like dealing with...

Thanks for the responses everyone, definitely helps to put things in perspective about how it's running on a variety of different setups :)

Don't the i5s have hyperthreading, where each core can handle two threads simultaneously? That might make it show up as 4 CPUs.

Mid-2010 17" MacBook Pro

Core-i5 M540

8GB DDR3

GeForce GT 330M

Bootcamped Win7 x64

Eager to see how the game runs. People are saying the game flies in Bootcamp with even worse specs than mine. We'll see.

If it holds me over until my next PC build, I'm happy.

@ the OP:

Full HD resolution is pretty hardcore for your current video card to handle out games at full settings.

The laptop i* processors are a bit different from the i* desktops. I think a good majority (especially on budget rigs) are the 2 core.

@ the OP:

Thanks for the infos... I spend a good bit of time traveling so I might try and upgrade the 420m (if possible)...

Actually, looking around, it appears that my laptop actually has an integrated graphics card in addition to the 420m... now I wonder if it isn't defaulting to using the crappy integrated card which is why I'm getting such poor performance... Looks like NVIDIA allows me to change that on a per application basis so that would definitely be a good place to start.

Thanks again :D

Go into the nvidia control panel, click on Set PhysX configuration in the left panel. Make sure it is set to use the gpu and not on cpu or auto select. If that does not help, go to 3d settings and add swtor under programs and try changing some of the settings in there.

Thanks for the infos... I spend a good bit of time traveling so I might try and upgrade the 420m (if possible)...

Actually, looking around, it appears that my laptop actually has an integrated graphics card in addition to the 420m... now I wonder if it isn't defaulting to using the crappy integrated card which is why I'm getting such poor performance... Looks like NVIDIA allows me to change that on a per application basis so that would definitely be a good place to start.

Usually all games you start will use the ''default'' graphics processor which, in your case, is the integrated one. Unless you don't make a profile in Nvidia Control Panel and select the dedicated card, your games will run on the integrated one.

Make sure you either use your custom profile or ALWAYS select the graphics card manually.

It happened to a lot of friends of mine and they were like ***? Counter Strike Source running @ 10 fps? keke

Usually all games you start will use the ''default'' graphics processor which, in your case, is the integrated one. Unless you don't make a profile in Nvidia Control Panel and select the dedicated card, your games will run on the integrated one.

Make sure you either use your custom profile or ALWAYS select the graphics card manually.

It happened to a lot of friends of mine and they were like ***? Counter Strike Source running @ 10 fps? keke

This is some funny **** right here, check out what I found while setting up a profile:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=237729#post237729

Some other threads are stating people are running this game on max settings on their laptop... this game runs REALLY poorly on my laptop. So bad that I have to turn the game down to the lowest settings AND reduce the resolution to have it's native res...

I'd like to know what, exactly, is in your laptop and how the performance is. Here's my specs:

Intel i5 @ 2.67GHz

8GM RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M

240GB 6GB/s SSD

I would have thought the game would have played a LOT smoother. The native res is 1920 x 1080.

(I normally play this on my main PC but I'd also like to be mobile and not have to play at a lower res)

All my drivers are updated, etc... I don't run any AV or background processes that suck up resources...

try this site it gives pretty accurate info of you system http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=363&game=Star%20Wars:%20The%20Old%20Republic

my laptop

Core i5-430m

4GB memory

ATI Radion HD-5650

runs the game find on medium settings without lag, until the GPU gets hot, in which case i just go use my cooling station set up.

I have this very same setup except I have 6GB memory and an ATI Mobility Radeon 5470. I'm also constantly on my cooling pad and I lag so much on the LOWEST settings ...

I'm so upset, this laptop is barely over a year old. )=

I'm so upset over the fact that graphics aren't as customizable as they were in BETA, I was able to play just fine in beta... *sigh*

Some other threads are stating people are running this game on max settings on their laptop... this game runs REALLY poorly on my laptop. So bad that I have to turn the game down to the lowest settings AND reduce the resolution to have it's native res...

I'd like to know what, exactly, is in your laptop and how the performance is. Here's my specs:

Intel i5 @ 2.67GHz

8GM RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M

240GB 6GB/s SSD

I would have thought the game would have played a LOT smoother. The native res is 1920 x 1080.

(I normally play this on my main PC but I'd also like to be mobile and not have to play at a lower res)

All my drivers are updated, etc... I don't run any AV or background processes that suck up resources...

laptop you need to change the core settings...change your affinity and priority.... but only do this if you know what you are doing....

the problem with most laptops is thery have multi small cores.. you need large cores and laptops overheat easily when max settings are on so you need a cooling pad....

desktop is better for intense graphic gaming...

I know this from experience becasue I have burned through 5 laptops in 4 years... each time I buy a 1200-1600 laptop I cry... so next time I swore I would instead get a desktop and use the laptop only for work/presentations.

my specs are as follows

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Processor: AMD Phenom II P960 Quad-Core Processor

CPU: 1.8 GHz

RAM: 7.0 GB

Video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370 with 3.1GB of RAM

for some reason running the game on my laptop on the default settings during the weekend beta i actually almost never got over 20 FPS, and i had trouble finding how to lower the settings (I'm not very good with video settings and wasn't sure on anything i was looking at XD) i was wondering what settings are recommended i should change to make the FPS better? i also wonder if it was just really bad because of the stress tests and i should see what its like after release. im also checking if all my drivers are up to date at this moment because this plays a big part in performance as well.

My lenovo IdeaPad Y570 has a dedicated gpu and an integrated gpu... even after changing everything in the Nvidia control panel and flipping the little switch on the front I still have to right click the game launcher and manually tell the game to run off my dedicated gpu.

when you see minimum specs remember those are for desktop computers.

please just remember that already, your laptop regardless of what is written on the component is not the same as the desktop version.

your i7 is not a quad core it is a dual core hyper threaded cpu running at less than half of the stock i7 2600, my cpu is overclocked to 5.1 ghz yours will never get there, it's a full 4 core hyperthreaded cpu effective 8 core when you include the 4 virtual cores generated from the hyperthreading.

realise the difference realise that they will never perform the same and save yourself some disapointment.

i have a heat sink the size of my head stuck to that thing to keep it cool with 4 12cm fans blowing air through my case, you have a 4cm fan that is 5mm wide on the fins going through a gap the size of a pencil.

your graphics card runs off a 9v supply, where a desktop runs off a 28a or more 12v rail 500w+ psu utilising in some cases 2 lines just to power the thing that under heavy load goes up to temps of 90+deg in the case of some ati cards and thats normal...

shall i stop? or would you like me to continue pointing out the planet sized difference between a laptop and a desktop....

this is just silly, you want to play at max settings, get a desktop and be prepared to fork out alot of money to do it.

really not trying to sound like an *** in the way it comes across, i know it may read like that but your trying to compare your laptops to £2000 desktops and expecting the same performance.

Edited by Gazzzenn

i5 is a quad core lol, your laptop is better than my desktop except the video it should run fine.

i5 mobility is a dual core....it's hyperthreaded to be a 4 core effective but not actual.

there is one mobility i7 that is an actual 4 core...funny it costs nearly £1000 just for the cpu.

@ the OP:

Might want to check that again not all i series processors are quad cores some are dual cores without hyper threading and there are also quad cores that show 8 cores but 4 of those are virtual hyperthreading cores

hay ya all.....

I run this game on a Dell XPS M1730.... no problem out side of it being a three or four year old notebook... max specs in game, and i run it on a wireless network & dont see any problems in game, but i have a hi speed charter account also.

see specs below

2.8 GHZ Dual Core Extream

8GB of Ram

2X 8800GTX 1GB of Ram SLI

and if you will note that on the specs for the game it says 8800 card will have the best preformances.

Edited by Derkain

hay ya all.....

I run this game on a Dell XPS M1730.... no problem out side of it being a three or four year old notebook... max specs in game, see specs below

2.8 GHZ Dual Core Extream

8GB of Ram

2X 8800GTX 1GB of Ram SLI

You are troll

XPS M1730 Memory Specifications

Standard Memory 2.0 GB (removable)

Maximum Memory 4.0 GB

Memory Expansion 2 sockets

Memory Comments PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM SODIMMs. Supports Dual Channel DDR2.

CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo

Model Comments 800MHz FSB, Intel 945PM Express Chipset.