Looking for advice / information

Group finder says recommended gear is ratings of 148 for HM FPs. My bracers, belt and shield are 148s, and the rest of my gear is 156s. But every time I join a team, everyone tells me I'm under geared. What gives? The game says my gear is high enough, but 99% of the people I'm in teams with get mad that I'm under geared and leave the game. This is becoming increasingly frustrating because I try to ask questions and people just ignore me and leave the game. If I have a team, I can hold my own, but people don't even give me a chance.

Let me guess...

1. Wearing gear with other classes main stats, and/or other stats completely useless to your class/spec

2. Wearing mixed tank and dps gear or even full tank gear when signed as dps or full dps gear when signed as tank

3. Wearing gear that stacks your least useful stat to ridiculously high amount but completely lacks your more important stats

That one rating number really tells noting by itself.

Edited by Eternalnight

Your gear level sounds fine. Either people are being elitist jerks (entirely possible) or there's something else wrong.

What's your class and specialization? Do you queue only as your chosen role, or do you leave it as heal/damage or tank/damage? Do you know your responsibilities in that role and feel you perform them reasonably?

What are your stats? Post the ones in the upper left of the character sheet, plus, if you're a tank, the ones in the defense tab, and if you're dps or heal, the ones in either the melee & force tabs (if you're a force using class, i.e. any sort of jedi or sith) or in the ranged & tech tabs (if you're not a force using class).

If you keep asking questions and getting no response, here's another strategy: Tell them once you're new to this flashpoint. Then if they want to tell you anything, great, and if not, they know your situation.

If it makes you more comfortable, you can read up on the four flashpoints over at dulfy.net (they were the top 4 hits when I did a google search for dulfy 55 hardmode). Hopefully this is the info you'd be asking questions about anyway.

You could also look for a guild that's looking for newer, less experienced players. Guild members who know they're helping you out so they'll have a more experienced guild member for later are much more willing to answer questions usually.

Edited by cxten

Jedi Shadow Tank and I wear the exemplar gear from the basic commendation vendor (and yes, it's willpower gear since I'm a consular). When I queue up for group finder, I only check off tank.

While I am new at tanking, and I'm still learning, I feel I get the gist of it and I do it well enough. However, that doesn't even come in to play because people bounce out of the game before the see how well/poorly I play my role.

Edited by TheDrasticDragon

Jedi Shadow Tank and I wear the exemplar gear from the basic commendation vendor (and yes, it's willpower gear since I'm a consular). When I queue up for group finder, I only check off tank.

While I am new at tanking, and I'm still learning, I feel I get the gist of it and I do it well enough. However, that doesn't even come in to play because people bounce out of the game before the see how well/poorly I play my role.

What it comes down to is people are seeing a poorly geared (not under geared) Shadow tank. A good Shadow that knows the instance can make the run a breeze (although is still very spiky) but a bad Shadow or a Shadow that hasn't done it before can make it painful and cause major repair bills. As a result, players are prone to just dropping group before even trying when they see that.

As a side note, I assume you've read the tank gearing guides around the forums and have made sure you only use Enhancements with Shield and not with Accuracy or Alacrity on them. If you have alacrity on any of your gear as a tank people will just assume you have no idea what you're doing and may drop group. Accuracy is equally useless but is less likely to cause people to just leave.

Otherwise you may have just had a string of bad luck.

One other piece of advise I can offer to you is to join a guild. Your guildies will tolerate you and they will be willing to teach you how to play your class/role. Especially since you're a tank and tanks are scarce. We all started somewhere and a friendly guild could be a nice start for you.

Strange. I assume you pick the gear with a higher Endurance rating than Willpower?

Perhaps you can try whispering people who leave immediately next time or ask your group what they think is so terrible about your gear. Or you could just post your exact gear and its stats here if you want to go through the trouble, I'm sure people would be willing to offer advice. (More or less kindly.)

The quick answer (assuming your gear is in fact correct for your AC and role):

This game is littered with skilless players who usually need gear two tiers above the recommended to clear the content... and still struggle. So when they see someone who isn't way overgeared they panic.

Proof (seen on Fleet general chat): "LFM for EV HM - MUST BE LEVEL 55"

It's because there are too many kids playing this game that are jerks.

Assuming your gear has the correct stats for your class, I would at least run with you to see how capable you are.

If we wipe on the first trash pull more than twice, then I would be contemplating leaving.