Developer Update: Technical Changes in Game Update 1.5

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.5?! New technical updates AGAIN??? :eek::eek::eek: Okay... Its good changes after all, but:

Revert NEW fonts to old (old with outline)! PLEASE - my eyes get tired easily with "NEW" fonts. :(http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=536751&page=8

And fix stuttering, after 1.4 i can play only in fullscreen (windowed) mode. :confused:

whoa yeah that font is entirely wrong,

this is how Star Wars subtitles are supposed to look like, period

http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/glibr2d2.jpg

not

http://www.theholocomm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/swtor-dialogue-588.jpg

I think you should only make this available for subscribers once F2P airs....the F2P players can use cartel coins to unlock it :)

God I can be so mean!!

I am sorry, but you are a nice guy...

Now, if you would have proposed them F2P players to use cartel coins to unlock EACH FRAME, from that FPS thingie.. you would have been on the right track...

To those complaining, stop whining. The Tech Artist isn't going to be involved in fixing most of the bugs you're talking about or balancing issues.

It's called role specialization. Learn about it.

Ressources, e.g. salaries, spent one place are still ressources that could have been spent somewhere else. Learn about that.

Ressources, e.g. salaries, spent one place are still ressources that could have been spent somewhere else. Learn about that.

Actually, unless this is a new hire just to do this, he's more right than you are. You staff your team with people that are good in certain fields, and sometimes what some are doing are more essential to QOL fixes than others at that time. Does that mean that you get rid of someone who is good at their job and will be useful in the future? I should hope not if you're looking at the long term. They might get busy (or non-essential) work for now, but its a price you pay to have your team ready when something does come up that they need them for that's essential to what you're working on at that time.

Learn to spell 'resources'.

And they are spending plenty on other aspects of the game - name me another MMO which has had this much new content in the first 12 months - but changes like this are heartening because:

• they look terrific (good job, guys!!)
  • they tell us that the devs are making longer-term investments in how the engine performs overall; they are thinking long-term, as well as fixing the short term problems.

You want to reduce things to a zero-sum game, but developing such a complex and varied bit of software, over so long a term, is actually a complicated and synergistic thing.

Hello everyone,

Please discuss this week's Developer Update: Technical Changes in Game Update 1.5 blog in this thread!

Ben Cloward,

Thank you for adding such things that some of us tend to overlook in the real world. They bring the virtual one closer to a finished product. I am pleased to hear there is more on the way. Hopefully, and I'm sure you do see it. That the rock faces in caves, cliffs and mountain range, on Tattooine etc. don't look exactly finished. Colors, textures, and tones look way too uniform and flat. There is definitely room for improvement there. Good work so far!

Shaders are about lighting effects.

What you want is more geometry, or at least bump maps. I´d go for tesselation but that would require a DX11 client. SWTOR is DX9.

TSW for example has DX11, e.g. on a beach with rubble, the rubble is not flat, it´s all geometry and therefore has a 3D effect.

So how can we add more geometry to SWTOR? I'm fine with the lighting dev's (ty for for improvement though) but graphically speaking, it's the lack of geometry that gets to me.

Amazing! Love it!

I also have to say I simply love how it is written! The best article ever!

I really enjoy looking at nature and figuring out how to take the ideas that I observe in the natural world and imitate them with computer graphics. Over the summer I was really struck by the translucent properties of leaves and grass.

Aw! You remind me on someone ;) !

Ben Cloward,

Thank you for adding such things that some of us tend to overlook in the real world. They bring the virtual one closer to a finished product. I am pleased to hear there is more on the way. Hopefully, and I'm sure you do see it. That the rock faces in caves, cliffs and mountain range, on Tattooine etc. don't look exactly finished. Colors, textures, and tones look way too uniform and flat. There is definitely room for improvement there. Good work so far!

I agree. With this, I am sure they are aware of it and working to make it look better :)!

I'm loving the new improvements, makes the game feel right at home for me.

However! The only feedback I do have here is, I would really love to see this with SLI and CrossFire support options to be enabled as well with the game because it would be beneficial with the framerates and what not. The developers should really have some extra graphical options in the game itself to utilise the SLI or Crossfire features and give people the chance to enhance the performance or quality options. Or Bioware should look into the idea of whenever the game is first launched it would autotune itself to support the best quality and performance settings that they would recommend.

We got the technology out there! Let's put it to use and watch those special effects in the game come into life. Give us an awesometacular show Bioware, time to show off your skills

Edited by Satelerevan