Let’s Chat – Cartel Market and You: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Category Packs

TobyMcCall

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

I’m Toby McCall, a designer on Star Wars: The Old Republic and a member of the Cartel Market Design Team. I’ve asked community to set up this thread so we can discuss the changes that the 4.0 expansion brings to the Cartel Market. My hope for this post is to create a place where we can answer some of your questions and clear up any confusion surrounding the Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Category Packs in Fallen Empire. We would like to focus this thread specifically around the new Armor, Mount, Decoration, and other Category packs (Crystals, Dyes, Weapons, etc), all of which have been packaged into Bronze, Silver, and Gold varieties. If you have thoughts on the new Underworld Alliance pack design, I invite you to join the discussion in a separate thread, found here.

• How do the new Bronze, Silver, and Gold Packs feel? Do you feel they are worth their cost? What suggestions do you have?
  • What are your thoughts on the new Category packs? Do you enjoy opening them? If so, what do you enjoy most? If not, what do you like least?
  • Are you more or less likely to purchase packs from the Market and why?
  • Can you share any experiences or first impressions you’ve had with the Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Category packs?

As always, let’s try to keep the posts constructive and on point. If you haven’t had a chance to read the blog post about the 4.0 changes to the Cartel Market, you can find that here.

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that I am not to hip on the idea of the new gold, silver, or bronze packs. This is mostly because I have not seen a range of gear that may be contained in it. With the cost (which I think is kinda high for a single set of gear that is random) of the Gold pack I really do not want to get a set of gear from the older packs. Just my thoughts on this matter.

I have played the game since launch and I have never bought a pack. This is because I don't know with any certainty what I will get. With this new system I am still no nearer knowing if I will end up with anything of worth (to me).

I spend my coins on unlocking gear sets, mounts etc. across my account and specific cartel items. I don't see any reason to change in light of what you are doing.

I would pay coins for old mounts etc that I have missed out on but only if there was some sort of bargain basement feature that let you select the specific item at a reasonable price.

Hope that was constructive enough for you.

So far my only experience with the new gold crates is buying two gold decoration packs. I got one valuable item and one item that I felt was fairly lackluster, and worth drastically less than the first. Neither item were things that I wanted, but I did make a nice profit off selling the one, so overall I'm happy with my luck.

While I love buying hypercrates and normal cartel packs, I feel very wary about buying the gold packs because they are a lot more expensive. At least if I get junk in a normal pack I am out a lot less money.

I feel the packs are a good idea, but the cost holds me back. I almost wish they were all the price of the bronze one with a rare chance to get the more valuable items--kind of like a normal cartel pack.

Let's chat - will the dev team be releasing an official list of what is in each tiered pack? A text list would be fine!

I think there would be a lot more trust in the system if players could know which pack they should buy if they want a specific set, and I know I might be more inclined to buy a gold pack if I know what rare armor/mounts is in there.

I did buy two of those Superpacks, and frankly, I was a bit disapointed not getting more than one decoration piece(I'm all about decorating nowdays, my gear is perfect imo), but many vehicles/mounts(one cool one, yay :/ ) and a few gear packs. I also wastes 800cc on a Gold Deco pack, getting one I did not need and sell at low prices on GTN.

Too high cost on Gold packs for me to buy more and I feel cheated with only two items a pack on the monthly packs, three would make me buy more of them.

Maybe put in one random Silver pack pr Superpack(5 packs + 1 Gold) and one Gold in Hypercrate ...

In general I really enjoy the CM packs and have often purchased more than what would be considered reasonable by normal people. But I enjoy it and don't really have a problem with the concept. I enjoy the game and willing to support it as I can as long as I get equal "value" in return.

The early packs were heavy on "filler" you got lots of stuff but little of the high demand rare items that people would want. You would often get a "rare/super-rare" that felt flat (5th copy of that belt you already have, or a third set of bracers) or even worse when it would end up being something like a credit boon or emote type item.

Glad you removed the things like rep items and xp boosts as well as reduced the number of filler items (low quality weapons etc).

However, I think the pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction. Packs with only 2 items for their CC cost I think are a bit over priced, and think needs to be a "balance"

If 200-300CC is the target price for a pack, I would think about 3 items would be a nice compromise.

For example I would always include 3 items, one bronze, one silver, and one gold item. You would get a decoration/speeder, an armor/weapon, gift/emote/other.

Now the gold would be in either decoration/speeder/armor/weapon, and the other would automatically be silver/bronze level. The remaining item (gift/emote/other) would be of any quality (I don't think a gift should ever qualify as a "gold item" . If the other item ends up being something like a gold toy/regen item, I would hope the other two items are minimum sliver and bronze.

And I don't think something like a simple wall light should qualify as "gold" I am really not a fan of seeing of "gold items" selling for pittance either because of demand, or that they are not really as rare as they were meant to be.

If something is going to be defined as "gold" it should be reflective of that value and either actually be rare, or hope that it will actually be something people want (understand not always easy to predict peoples desires).

If you are going to keep just 2 items in a pack, suggest making the "filler gear" sold as one item rather than the upper/lower/supp. Nothing is more aggravating that buying a hypercrate and having 3 different boxed sets and getting 5 uppers of 1, 5 lowers of another, and MAYBE collecting a single set.

I dont mind rare items being rare and fully understand random generation. Just think that when you offer only 2 items collecting any set of items becomes very very tedious.

in summary.

each pack has 3 items, a gold, silver, and a bronze.

each pack will also have 3 types of items, decoration/mount, armor/weapon, other.

boxed set items should be condensed to either have fewer boxes (upper = head, chest, gloves, bracers, lower = boots, belt, pants). or get the entire set as one item.

I really enjoyed the extra "gold/super rare" item that was added to the hypercrates, think that was a great addition and would have liked it to continue.

Only ones I would be interested in are the strongholds ones but I am also not sure I would buy many as I honesty like knowing what I am getting and it would be something that I would use.

Same as for armor. There are a lot of armor that don't fit my style (revealing or some of the ones that look like airplanes sticking out of your shoulders or the ones that you made that actually swallow your character)

Why no Bronze / Silver / Gold packs for Color Crystals and Weapons?

The items themselves are tagged as such, why do they just have Grand packs? There's 221 Weapons and 146 Color Crystals. Putting all of those into ONE pack is just... silly. At least do Bronze and Silver, since there are only a few tagged as Gold.

A fair pricing, imo, would be Bronze 100cc, Silver 300cc for the Color Crystals, Bronze 75, Silver 200cc for the Weapons. Would be much better than just the Grand packs.

Let me break it down... And compare to other games that have lottery box systems that I know:

STO:

• Keys cost roughly $1.25 each (can get as low as $.90 each on sale)
  • Boxes have minimum 2 items.
  • 1 item if you save it up, you can buy some pretty useful top end stuff
  • 2nd item is also usually really useful.
  • Has some very awesome jackpot items
  • Loot table and rates are posted with each box.
  • Only 1 item in box is bound, everything else can be sold right away.

LOTRO:

• Keys cost $1.00 each (as low as $.83 on sale)
  • Usually has 2 items in it
  • Has cosmetics/boosts/etc
  • Some stuff is marginally useful. Even if you don't want it, someone else might if not bound.
  • Can have some really good stuff in it. Usually not anything with a huge WOW factor, but ok.
  • Drop rates not posted
  • Bound items are 50/50. If item does not bind, can be sold right away.

SWTOR:

• Boxes cost $2.00 each (twice as much)
  • Has 2 items in it
  • 1 item is practically useless (companion gift). Once you hit max, it is worthless. Market is saturated with these things, they don't even sell well for credits. And you may not be able to use it with your companion.
  • 2nd item is hit or miss, either you want it, or don't. If you don't want it, most people don't want it. no real WOW items usually.
  • Drop rates are not posted.
  • Items bind for almost 2 days. Cannot sell them right away if you don't want it.

Also you are stuffing the armor/mount/dye boxes with too much stuff. Why would I pay for a chance at something when the box can drop 30 things? Especially if there is only 1 of those things I want. I'd rather just buy it. Plus what you guys think is cool or should be cool, actually sucks. And things you guys think that sucks, actually ends up kinda cool.

The biggest problem here is price IMO. I live in Vegas, and I would not gamble with the odds you all have on those boxes at the cost you all charge.

Edited by Psychopyro

I felt like they cost to much for what you get. I opened a couple and got an armor set that you could just bought from the CM for the same price of the pack . As for the alliance pack I felt cheated with them costing the same as they did before but got way less out of it.

Hi everyone,

I’m Toby McCall, a designer on Star Wars: The Old Republic and a member of the Cartel Market Design Team. I’ve asked community to set up this thread so we can discuss the changes that the 4.0 expansion brings to the Cartel Market. My hope for this post is to create a place where we can answer some of your questions and clear up any confusion surrounding the Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Category Packs in Fallen Empire. We would like to focus this thread specifically around the new Armor, Mount, Decoration, and other Category packs (Crystals, Dyes, Weapons, etc), all of which have been packaged into Bronze, Silver, and Gold varieties. If you have thoughts on the new Underworld Alliance pack design, I invite you to join the discussion in a separate thread, found here.

• How do the new Bronze, Silver, and Gold Packs feel? Do you feel they are worth their cost? What suggestions do you have?
  • What are your thoughts on the new Category packs? Do you enjoy opening them? If so, what do you enjoy most? If not, what do you like least?
  • Can you share any experiences or first impressions you’ve had with the Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Category packs?

As always, let’s try to keep the posts constructive and on point. If you haven’t had a chance to read the blog post about the 4.0 changes to the Cartel Market, you can find that here.

I like it all but! I want to see halloween items return! Ghostly Magus!

Those packs are a great addition to the shop. They resemble what other games have. The only problem with them is that they are too expensive when it comes to the gold tier. It's just too high cost to try my luck. The chance of getting my desired gear is perhaps at ratio 1:80. I don't know the exact number of all gold armors in the game but it's definitely high. This ratio becomes worse each time a new pack gets released, right? A potential customer is at much disadvantage.

I would decrease their price OR divide them into separate packs that cost exactly 1200cc but drop armors affiliated to a particular shipment.

Gold Armor Pack Shipment 1

Gold Armor Pack Shipment 2

Gold Armor Pack Shipment 3

etc.

Only then the cost of 1200cc is worth the risk.

Edited by PavSalco

I thinkt he price should be lowered on the Gold pack to match the $9.99 price for the Cartel coins so one doesnt have to spend 15+ to get a single gold pack.

I would like to see the Collection Window have a category on Bronze Silver, and Gold so users can easily find what they can get in each of the packs. Some armor may be considered Gold by Rarity(Jareal's tunic) but it's a Silver item.

Personally, I would find everything as is as being worth the prices, IF you cut all CC prices in half.

Packs being 120 instead of 240, unlocks ranging between 50-120, and speeders and full armor sets being 670-770 instead of 1440CC.

Heck, even hyper crates being 2200-2600 rather than being 4400-5200 or whatever.

Without making too many other changes, it would allow me to feel like I am getting my money's worth and perhaps get me to buy that one more pack or unlock.

Plus it would make the 500cc sub bonus actually feel worthwhile.

I honestly think the packs are fine - everything is just too expensive in terms of pricing.

I do not post on these forums often but this is a relevant topic for me so I decided I should try and make my voice heard.

I am a pretty casual yet frequent Cartel Market customer. I buy atleast one Hypercrate each release, if not more depending on how much I enjoy the packs that I am buying. I also purchase rather frequently in between crates as sales and such dictate. I do not believe I am even close to a #1 Customer although I will admit I have candid interest in supporting this game through the Cartel Market and enjoying what it has to offer as I personally believe that the Cartel Market is one of the best - if not the best microtransaction market out of the majority of MMOs out there. Despite what other people say, I think it offers the best deal for players, but I digress.

At first I was leery about the new packs as I saw the minimal amount of items in packs as a bad thing, although I knew that i would have to see the packs first hand before I could comment. Without much more ranting I will go through the pros and cons of what I like about the new packs, the new rating systems, and the grand packs.

Pros

• A lot less busy work! Packs are concise and do not make me spend a ton of time sorting through excess or pointless items.
  • A lot less confusing about what is rare and what is not.
  • Everything is in crates, including the 'fetch' sets. No more getting Tulak Hord's Bracers.
  • Items dont retire! Rare items or old packs can still be found in game, meaning a look you want is always available!
  • Decorations! Decorations being consumable mean there is often a drought for decos. With the new packs the problem becomes much better.
  • Value. I think the new pack system retains a decent value to the player.

Cons

• Rarity. While I like the new rare system, I believe the gold rarity is a tad too scarce. Getting 1 or 2 gold items at the most is a little light, where as I personally believe 3-4 would be a bit better on average.
  • LACK OF REPUTATION. I personally love the Cartel Reps. I enjoyed raising them, I enjoyed Cartel Certificates, I enjoyed the vendors. I am very sad if they are phased out.
  • Rarity. This system isnt perfect, although its close. I cant give some exact examples but there are some items that shouldnt be gold which makes that 1200 armor pack useless, but its personal perception.
  • No 'super' pack. Those were cool, bring them back.
  • Give a list of items in each pack. Yes, the armor and weapon packs would be HUGE but if we could get a list of everything in each pack, it would help players in their purchase. Example: When the Akk Dog License moves to the packs, which pack is it in? I have no idea.

Changes I would make:

Bring back Reputation and Cartel Certificates: I know this may be not popular or concerning for everyone (often people who view the reputations as daunting, but that is not the topic) yet I rather loved having something to aim for whether I was buying packs off the Cartel Market or (and just as commonly) buying packs from the GTN. When it came to new characters, I loved using the Cartel vendors and marks I had to be able to buy sets, dyes, weapons and more as well as use the Legacy titles that I absolutely adore. My main uses "Armed and Dangerous" to this day, that is how much I enjoy that system. Please reconsider adding new Reputations.

Test new Pack contents. I think the Gold, Silver, Bronze packs are fine - they do what they are prescribed to do, but I think continuing to experiment in the Hypercrates as to what is included is not a bad thing! I think armor boxes are the way to go, but adding another 'slot' for something like rep items or making the Companion gift potentially slotted with something else would be awesome.

Pack list: As stated in the Cons section, some items are ambiguous and a comprehensive list of pack contents would help everyone.

Bring Back Cartel Reps: Repeat, but please do. I want to throw more money at your game. :)

Honestly the packs are a complete waste of money in my opinion. In games like LoL or even Marvel Heroes if I want a skin or armor set I can just buy that skin or armor set, I don't have to spend 40 bucks for 30 chances at RARELY getting a PART of the look I want. I bought a lot of hypercrates because I like to gamble from time to time and I make good money so I have some to throw around, I quickly realized just how inefficient and pointless they were. One of my Hypercrates for Underworld Alliance gave me 13 boxes of the Overwatch Shield set in various forms (upper/lower etc). They sell for less than 3k each on the AH.

I will never buy a Hypercrate again unless they are drastically brought down in CC price. I can buy Thexans armor set for 1,440 CC and it's value on the GTN is almost the same as a 5,400 CC hypercrate.

Edited by Fafurian

I've opened a few dozen cartel packs which I bought on the GTN. Once removed buyer but presumably still creating the demand.

Haven't bought the new packs because they just don't feel like they have the same appeal of range, when my characters do tend to need everything and I like selling things from different categories as they show up. I also like getting more stuff than less stuff when I open a pack.

Though I also haven't seen any of the new packs on the GTN aside from the really crappy ones (emotes pack or something). Maybe if I saw a gold armour pack show up I might be intrigued.

What I completely dislike are the new prices for collection unlocks.

400CC for gold rarity items is just too expensive.

Granted, unlocking direct purchases got cheaper with the new prices, but overall everything got way more expensive which means that i'm going to unlock less stuff than before.

With regard to the question "Are you more or less likely to purchase packs from the Market and why?". I recently purchased two hyper crates of one of the older cartel packs to try and complete the original revan armor set ( I need the gloves and mask). I spent a good amount of "real" money and did not get one super rare out of 60 crates that I opened. Maybe I am just extraordinarily unlucky or there needs to be an adjustment to RNG, but at this point I can say that NO, I will not be buying any further cartel packs. It simply is NOT worth the cost.

Edited by OneHawk