Why am I paying for this?

Mayorsaide

I joined in early Febuary-ish, I've been playing pretty heavily ever since.

when my server started to ghost-town I thought, hey it's fine they'll merge servers or have character transfers.

That's what they said and I've been strung along for 2 months paying to play the 30% of the game I least like.

Leveling alts with 0 pvp queues and running content way below my gear set just to do something a little different.

This isn't cool Bioware, whatever department made this a thing, I don't like you as people.

Edited by Mayorsaide

I joined in early Febuary-ish, I've been playing pretty heavily ever since.

when my server started to ghost-town I thought, hey it's fine they'll merge servers or have character transfers.

That's what they said and I've been strung along for 2 months paying to play the 30% of the game I least like.

Leveling alts with 0 pvp queues and running content way below my gear set just to do something a little different.

This isn't cool Bioware, whatever department made this a thing, I don't like you as people.

I'm in a similar situation where perhaps once a week, the population for imperial fleet goes into double digits, so i feel for your situation.

That said, the reason you're paying for this is because I think free until level 15 alone is more than I expected from a Lucasarts property. While I'd be happy to put money into micro-transactions (if well implemented so that non-paying customers aren't forced to trade hours instead of pennies) , I doubt SWTOR will ever go Free-to-Play, if only because I doubt George Lucas would ever allow them to do that if they wanted to. For a game development studio not to be completely fired immediately before launch alone is rare enough for a star wars game, look at what happened to the staff on Force Unleashed and it's sequel.

That said, I feel free-to-play is especially urgent, if only because, while American and UK players are each spending about $15 a month and feel unhappy about the price, try asking Norwegian players how much a monthly subscription costs, and realize that I wouldn't be surprised if most of the players leaving SWTOR are in the countries where playing for even a month is a significant premium.

I

You are absolutely right to take this personally and not like anyone at BW despite the fact that you probably have never met anyone of them.

I happen to know for a fact that every employee of BW got together in a meeting and said "hey, you know that one guy? Lets ruin his life. Why not?"

I would be pretty mad too!

So...we have server transfers now. Starting today.

And if you're server isn't on the initial list of 10 or so, well, they're going to grow the list until population balances, and ultimately, every server will be available for transfer. The virtuous patience mentioned in the OP should be paying off starting today.

I subscribed for more than one month so I am paying < £8.99 per month subs.

Lets compare the cost of my subs to the cost of another pass-time I enjoy...drinking. Even if I was paying £8.99 per month in subs for that I would be able to buy roughly 3 pints of lager at my local pub. That would usually last me an hour or so.......in summary compare roughly 100 hours of game time per month to an hour or so in the pub.

Or

Going to watch football (Soccer), £30 ish per game for 1 and 1/2 hours entertainment...and sometimes not even that entertaining :)

Or

My martial arts classes £8 for a 1 and 1/2 hour session

Okay the game could do with some improvements but IMO it is still V good value for money, that is why I pay for this.

I understand that's it's easy to say just be patient, and when my server started dying I was on the same page, two months later 3 people in fleet 12 in the whole game it's a tad harder to remain as cautiously optimistic. With a decent population with actual pvp queues this game is pretty sweet. Without it and watching my guild members drop like flies to Diablo3 and Tera is quite vexing.

I realize this is gonna sound a bit like I'm shaking my cane and croaking out "Well back in MY day...." But here is a little perspective for you.

I ended up on a variety of low pop servers in "that other game that shall not be named". I played since beta. Rerolled several times before transfers existed. Never ONCE did they offer a free transfer off the realm I was on, or respond to the repeated requests to merge low pop servers together. All those low pop servers still exist. My characters aren't on them anymore, but to get them elsewhere I had to pay. And pay. And pay. Each character. $25. Each time. That happened three separate times when the server I was on died from lack of a reasonable population.

Honestly, so far from what I've seen, Bioware is rolling this out both quickly and effectively, targeting appropriate source and destination servers. (Do you know how long it was before you could even *have* paid server transfers in That Other Game? It was 2 YEARS after launch, and if you didn't like your destination you had to wait 6 months before trying again.)

I don't see my server listed yet, but since this has only been a few hours since the service went live I look forward to seeing where my server pops up.

This is a great game. I am reminded of that every time I log in to play, even with a low population. With the transfers, we will get our communities built.

You are absolutely right to take this personally and not like anyone at BW despite the fact that you probably have never met anyone of them.

I happen to know for a fact that every employee of BW got together in a meeting and said "hey, you know that one guy? Lets ruin his life. Why not?"

I would be pretty mad too!

Is your favorite limp bizkit song Trollin Trollin Trollin? :D

Hello everyone,

We know that everyone is excited about the new server transfers and wants to share their thoughts, but will be closing this thread and asking that the conversation be kept here:

Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

This will help us ensure that everyone can participate in conversation with one another, and the forums aren't completely dedicated to threads on this important topic.

You may also want to take a look at the following information that we have posted recently:

Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers Blog Entry

List of Available Servers for Transfer

Character Transfer Service FAQ

Please note that we have not listed all of the servers that will be eligible for transfers just yet, stay tuned to the threads linked above for additional details. Thanks!