Companions are useless now

Lazerpew

I still don't understand why you would nerf companions so hard? Was the game too easy? Maybe it was too fun. I don't know. Either way, you've ruined something that didn't need to be tampered with. People enjoy staying alive, especially when grinding [2+ heroics]...may as well have a full group because my companion barely keeps me alive anymore.

If you're going to try and make the game more challenging, up the rewards and fix your server/lag issues. That's like saying you want to make more money but don't want customers to enjoy their experience.

"Gamers love when bosses reset for no good reason! But hey, let's nerf the heck out of companions though, gamers hate how fun it is to survive big pulls"

DON'T nerf elements of the game that:

A. Wasn't hurting anyone

B. Was actually a lot of fun

Why am I so upset? Because I gave you guys over $100 in a month. I truly started enjoying this game after a very long leave. Want to know why I left in the first place? I felt the game made me work too hard for very little.

Well guess what? ....

Have to agree with you on this .. since 4.0 I thought my only loss was wasting money on Treek, obviously before 4.0 and this latest debarcle Treek and other 'Healer' specific companions was a must .. now we have NO real healer just a band-aid throwing idiot with no healing abilities at all.

" this is your Star Wars adventure now! "

Yeah if you like having to group for everything again, talk about force people into doing what they obviously didn't sign up for, but hey this isn't the only issue .. I don't like Pvp even more so on a PVE or RP server, but I get it truly I do .. it's just not what I want to do so I avoid it at all times .. of course unless you want M-4X or Lt. Pierce as a companion then it's a case of 'we don't care .. you want them pvp or don't get them' ... drawback to this is when Lana has the next companion on her available list .. you can't get because you need to complete the first one.

Yup! I liked what they had done. Companions were very useful and i felt like i was playing with another player. This of course was lost in yesterday's patch. I struggle with +2 Heroics. Why? For what?

Tank companion: I'm glad you upped the companion's ability to generate threat. FYI, it still sucks. Why? Because even if they manage to hold threat, they're dead within the first 15 seconds.

Healer companion: Can't keep themselves up let alone me.

Dps companion: They're dead...best 5 seconds of dps ever!

+2 Heroics were a great way to kill time, feel like you're farming without the repetative grind, and just overall fun for all types of players.

I'm also disappointed because when i came back I thought to myself "Holy crap this is fun! I hope this game gets a kick start and people start joining in!" But now I'm just sad. It had such great potential. The only way I'll continue subscribing is if this issue is fixed before the next patch. If it's not hotfixed in the next few days sadly I'm out. Just wish I hadnt spent so much money on the game this month. Would've spent even more if they had left this alone. Truly disappointing.

I still don't understand why you would nerf companions so hard? Was the game too easy? Maybe it was too fun. I don't know. Either way, you've ruined something that didn't need to be tampered with. People enjoy staying alive, especially when grinding [2+ heroics]...may as well have a full group because my companion barely keeps me alive anymore.

If you're going to try and make the game more challenging, up the rewards and fix your server/lag issues. That's like saying you want to make more money but don't want customers to enjoy their experience.

"Gamers love when bosses reset for no good reason! But hey, let's nerf the heck out of companions though, gamers hate how fun it is to survive big pulls"

A. Wasn't hurting anyone

Why am I so upset? Because I gave you guys over $100 in a month. I truly started enjoying this game after a very long leave. Want to know why I left in the first place? I felt the game made me work too hard for very little.

Well guess what? ....

Companions were nerfed because they were FAR to OP, they were able to be even more effective than actual players once there influence was high enough. For a companion to be hitting 10k hits, 20k critical hits, at only 35 influence is insane and makes the game far to easy. Your idea of "fun" is simply plowing through every living thing without a risk of dying, and having no challenge one so ever. They surely required a nerf, and maybe it was through your wording, but you mentioned you were still able to get through heroics. Heroics are now actually somewhat a actual challenge now, your forced to use CC, stuns, interrupts, actually LEARN YOUR CLASS, instead of your companion do all the work for you, or carrying all the weight.

Upping the rewards does not make the heroics harder anyway, it simply gives more incentive to do so, however that would be fine. Fixing the servers would also be very welcomed, but once again, will have virtually no performance on your own play style unless you have a potato PC... like me.

Bosses were virtually no challenge at all with companions, and I have NEVER ONCE, had a boss reset that wasn't in a flashpoint or operation, and which happened very few times, and im a ranged DPS.

This nerf was well deserved, and although I have not gone through extensive testing, I was able to solo the Makeb heroics just fine with tactics, only one I had trouble with is savage skies. If we let companions continue as they were, then we would end up with even MORE people who end up spamming there basic attack abilities, so in turn, for those of us who want to do operations and flashpoints, would in the end, were getting affected. Once again, your idea of "fun" is virtually no challenge at all.

Paying for the game does not make your opinion count more than others who do so as well, but however, your opinion does count and is of coursed welcomed on the forums. If you left because the game was a grind, then I think you need to find another game. This game hands you XP like no tomorrow, through tacticals, GSF, PVP, doing anyone of those are guaranteed to level you up a few times. As OP as your companion is, you don't even have to gear them properly now, they fit any role you wanted with 2 clicks, and even at 10 influence they were still incredibly OP. If you feel this game is a grind, I advise you to not play MMOs or RPGs anymore, since of 4.0 this was one of the easiest games I have ever touched.

Have to agree with you on this .. since 4.0 I thought my only loss was wasting money on Treek, obviously before 4.0 and this latest debarcle Treek and other 'Healer' specific companions was a must .. now we have NO real healer just a band-aid throwing idiot with no healing abilities at all.

" this is your Star Wars adventure now! "

Yeah if you like having to group for everything again, talk about force people into doing what they obviously didn't sign up for, but hey this isn't the only issue .. I don't like Pvp even more so on a PVE or RP server, but I get it truly I do .. it's just not what I want to do so I avoid it at all times .. of course unless you want M-4X or Lt. Pierce as a companion then it's a case of 'we don't care .. you want them pvp or don't get them' ... drawback to this is when Lana has the next companion on her available list .. you can't get because you need to complete the first one.

Having a companion that trumps all other companions for virtually no work or effort isn't exactly what I call balanced, and although I understand treek was unique, I don't think she should be as OP as she was pre 4.0. Admitably it does suck that all companions have pretty much the same animation, only a slight change if there a glow stick user or a gun user, and depending on there current selected role.

This is a MMO, kind of weird you walk into a game that centers around multiplayer and your interactions with them, and want to play solo. If anything, while I can understand playing solo, you however, are going against what a MMO is intended for. The only thing pre 4.0 that wasn't soloable was 2 flashpoints on level, and operations. Now, with 4.0 the only thing that cant be soloed, is what was originally group required content such as, world bosses, operations, and raiding other players bases. If anything, this game Is, in the current state, after the companion nerf, more soloable than ever. As stated above are my reasons for the companion nerf and why it was needed.

On a side note, I however, completely agree with you, PVP and PVE content should be totally separate. M1-4x does nothing to help PVPers, and it only causes either for people to pass on a companion they want, while also losing future companions. The same with gear, PVE content doesn't work well in PVP, however, PVP gear remains a strong contender in PVE for whatever reason.

Edited by peter_plankskull

could not have said it better myself..

A. Wasn't hurting anyone

Well guess what? ....

"Companions were nerfed because they were FAR to OP, they were able to be even more effective than actual players"

I agree they were overpowered but here's the issue... we rely on our companions. The amount to which they were nerfed was a tad overkill. I dont mind a challenge but when each pull is a battle of survival you tend to think of the good'ol days when achieving the same goals weren't as painful. Making something more challenging when not fixing core issues like mob routing, quest bugs, lag spikes, fps drops, etc. tends to decrease the overall experience in which the game was intended.

Also I appreciate your comment and you do raise many good points. Granted, i think you may have misunderstood my point about paying. I didnt mean my opinion was more valuable because I've been paying for all the little cosmetics/mounts/etc. I was merely stating that I've recently spent a wad of cash on this game thinking it was a lot of fun and then the nerf happened and i suddenly found myself struggling to get through simple 2+ heroics. I don't mind grinding. I'm a grinder. But when I grind I tend not to think of survivability as much as getting the task done as quick as possible to move onto the next grind. I love MMOs and what they involve. SWTOR is a unique mmo in which you are heavily reliant on your companions. They are/were used to substitute for another player. As it stands, they do not. A solution would be to match their power with ours. Don't have them surpass us, rather, balance it so they are equal. Afterall, they are characters and not "pets".

I still enjoy the game and will try to move past this issue for now but to suggest moving away from MMOs entirely isn't really a solution as other MMOs have a bit more going for them. I think SWTOR may thrive but BW needs to consider a quick solution before losing more players, which ultimately impacts our community as a whole. There's a forum post about unsubscribing and it's clearly loaded with people quitting the game due to this issue. I think it's a bit extreme to leave right away but they have a point...other MMOs currently do it better.

Again, I'm not quitting right away but if I continue to feel underpowered there's a chance I'll be leaving it for another MMO...which is sad because I love the concept, characters, story, and gameplay. I just don't want to struggle on something that should be simple. Let the challenge be for the challengers. Let the grinds continue being mindless.

Companions were nerfed because they were FAR to OP, they were able to be even more effective than actual players once there influence was high enough. For a companion to be hitting 10k hits, 20k critical hits, at only 35 influence is insane and makes the game far to easy. Your idea of "fun" is simply plowing through every living thing without a risk of dying, and having no challenge one so ever. They surely required a nerf, and maybe it was through your wording, but you mentioned you were still able to get through heroics. Heroics are now actually somewhat a actual challenge now, your forced to use CC, stuns, interrupts, actually LEARN YOUR CLASS, instead of your companion do all the work for you, or carrying all the weight.

Upping the rewards does not make the heroics harder anyway, it simply gives more incentive to do so, however that would be fine. Fixing the servers would also be very welcomed, but once again, will have virtually no performance on your own play style unless you have a potato PC... like me.

Bosses were virtually no challenge at all with companions, and I have NEVER ONCE, had a boss reset that wasn't in a flashpoint or operation, and which happened very few times, and im a ranged DPS.

This nerf was well deserved, and although I have not gone through extensive testing, I was able to solo the Makeb heroics just fine with tactics, only one I had trouble with is savage skies. If we let companions continue as they were, then we would end up with even MORE people who end up spamming there basic attack abilities, so in turn, for those of us who want to do operations and flashpoints, would in the end, were getting affected. Once again, your idea of "fun" is virtually no challenge at all.

Paying for the game does not make your opinion count more than others who do so as well, but however, your opinion does count and is of coursed welcomed on the forums. If you left because the game was a grind, then I think you need to find another game. This game hands you XP like no tomorrow, through tacticals, GSF, PVP, doing anyone of those are guaranteed to level you up a few times. As OP as your companion is, you don't even have to gear them properly now, they fit any role you wanted with 2 clicks, and even at 10 influence they were still incredibly OP. If you feel this game is a grind, I advise you to not play MMOs or RPGs anymore, since of 4.0 this was one of the easiest games I have ever touched.

Having a companion that trumps all other companions for virtually no work or effort isn't exactly what I call balanced, and although I understand treek was unique, I don't think she should be as OP as she was pre 4.0. Admitably it does suck that all companions have pretty much the same animation, only a slight change if there a glow stick user or a gun user, and depending on there current selected role.

This is a MMO, kind of weird you walk into a game that centers around multiplayer and your interactions with them, and want to play solo. If anything, while I can understand playing solo, you however, are going against what a MMO is intended for. The only thing pre 4.0 that wasn't soloable was 2 flashpoints on level, and operations. Now, with 4.0 the only thing that cant be soloed, is what was originally group required content such as, world bosses, operations, and raiding other players bases. If anything, this game Is, in the current state, after the companion nerf, more soloable than ever. As stated above are my reasons for the companion nerf and why it was needed.

On a side note, I however, completely agree with you, PVP and PVE content should be totally separate. M1-4x does nothing to help PVPers, and it only causes either for people to pass on a companion they want, while also losing future companions. The same with gear, PVE content doesn't work well in PVP, however, PVP gear remains a strong contender in PVE for whatever reason.

"we would end up with even MORE people who end up spamming there basic attack abilities"

dumbest thing i've ever heard.

Sartt, not everyone is so well equipped or devoted to SWTOR. We pay our money each month just like you do. The developers should not change things that are part of a story line for at least 3 months allowing the rest of us to get the benefits that you got. Why don't you turn in all your achievements and titles that you got with the easy mode and redo with the new guidelines.

ERIC, the developer! You are screwing the rest of us by nerfing the companions in the storylines. You have continuously done this every patch. You let those who can spend hours on this game get all the achievements and titles in easy mode, and then after only a month make it harder for those who can only play part time. I pay the same amount as the dedicated people BUT now I am cheated out of the opportunities that you gave them. That is Ignorant multiplied many times over. Then you also pic one Class to make OP in PVP. For those 2 reasons, you can kiss my money good buy. Hell, I will even go back to playing WOW. You have no concept of treating you paying customers fairly. The only thing consistent is that you let those who spend hours on here get the title and achievements and then screw the rest. Well as your monetary support dwindles so will your pay. I have had 2 friends leave the game and many were teetering with this new patch. I am sure they will be insulted as I am and take their money elsewhere. The intent of the story line is to be fun, easy and enjoyable. You have made the OPs much better, BUT you should have just left the story line as is for those of us not as "geared".

I don't understand how people are dying in the Heroics when playing alone, even after the reduction in the companions. o.O

because they were zerging em without use CC/Interupt relying on very high amount of heals from their comps and now they get owned.

The tank companion is really good nowday,it works wonders with my healer it slower than it used to be but i still get the job done without problems

I really don't see how people are complaining about weak companions....in any fight I rarely get my hp below 90%, this is either heroics or normal. If they die in "boss" fights people do know that there are instant healing things on the edges of the combat area...right?

I admit Koth was not good at healing or was HK-55 but the ones that were amazing at healing were Lana, T7 and Senya.

In the end I have no idea why people have an issue with companions....although I guess people just love to complain :(

Edited by _Kezza_

I still don't see how the OP Champs caused a problem. I am not a hardcore gamer, I don't belong to a guild, I don't have a pocket healer friend or uber gear. I work nights and to cool down during the day I play games. Now though I die when questing. The nerf was pure over kill, its as simple as that. I went from having a blast to not wanting to play. Yes I am/was a sub. I refuse to play to just die.

I don't understand how people are dying in the Heroics when playing alone, even after the reduction in the companions. o.O

:eek:

Hmm, same here. I am kinda shocked. I am wondering what are they doing to bring these kind of statements that companions are useless now.

Today, I went on and picked some heroic quests. I completed them all without any problems. Actually, I did not use any cc abilities, since there was no need. I did not get in any trouble. Nothing felt difficult, nothing felt hard.

After that, I heard Star Fortress cannot be done solo any longer. I took the quest for solo mode and completed it, just like I did before this patch. So, I picked heroic mode and completed it without dying once.

I do not have PvE gear. My gear is ranked PvP gear.

Since I don't have time, I am not playing PvP at the moment, so my gear is not augmented at all.

My companion is Major Pierce, rank 24...and, no, I am not some one in a million, nature's wonder, ultra-pro gamer. :confused:

Yeah, they swung the nerf bat way way too hard. I'm waiting to see what they say about it on Monday as Eric made a post that they will be addressing the issue. I am cautiously optimistic but only slightly. They need to do a serious return of a good percentage of companions pre-nerf ability but my worry is they will offer what amounts to a pat on the head.

Yeah, they swung the nerf bat way way too hard. I'm waiting to see what they say about it on Monday as Eric made a post that they will be addressing the issue. I am cautiously optimistic but only slightly. They need to do a serious return of a good percentage of companions pre-nerf ability but my worry is they will offer what amounts to a pat on the head.

This right here...

I think the companions being Jesus bots was to get people off the level synch argument, and then nerf companions later back to crap. At least in 3.0 they gave us gear for free so we could equip them properly and didn't need to be baby sat during combat. I swear these last 2 "Expansions" have to be some twisted EA/Bioware social experiment to see what they can put us through in the next MMO they put out. (Foil hat is staying equipped). :D

I came back to the new OP companions. I felt it was way too easy and no challenge. The adjustment has made it just about right! If you die on H2 runs then you can't judge or play the game. There is only a few tight spots that maybe the H2 needs to reduce the number of mobs pulled from 6 to 8 down to 4. But I give the team a thumbs up on making H2,'s

alot more fun.

I probably differ from most here.... but .. Companions are N OT useless now. No they can't do all the work for you. YES you will take damage.. yes you have to THINK about how to get thru a group of baddies. STRATEGISE a bit. Personally i like being a healer.. yep.. i wind up squishy.. but with my companion on tank and giving the CC some thought.. I haven't found any flash point we can't handle on odessen. we do the heroics just fine. it just takes some thought.. and trying different things.

WHEN THE GAME GETS TOO EASY..... IT GETS B O R I N G !!...

I think we've come to a perfect balance. As it stands, you still have to pay attention to what you're doing! Before, you could send off any companion in DPS and he'd wipe out most of the mobs for you while you go and make yourself something to drink. Colour me satisfied. ^.^