BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit a 5.2K Demo Round against a marauder with all 5 Grav Vortex debuffs. Dummy stood there and let me shoot him.

eh, arsenal/gunnery doesnt have any problems breaking 5k with hsm/dr. when i feel like derping around i will spec into it. my biggest hit is like 5.8k i think

I always love how the HiB from a commando with a huge assault cannon does less damage than the HiB from a Vanguard with a riifle.

GG BW. GG.

And seriously, you guys are pretty hopeful. Remember, Commando was balanced to be in another game where TO is considered a good top level ability cooldown, and not a cheesy way to get an instant CC off.

Second this! the snot rounds give them away so much and being healer means they are even easier to kill! kolto missile is also really awkward and often too slow to it's mark. Mercs are nowhere near as good as sorc or op healers ever and thats even when they tunnel for heal scores. and too right they need an escape that would actually be a fair nerf for the mercs to because when they are under pressure and decide to go down firing with disregard to heat they are sincerely DPS dump trucks some classes may prefer if they opted to disengage instead of leaving 10 stacks of fire DOTs.

For heals- Snot rounds should haste the CD on their bubble and buff it so if players see them they know its coming from something thats not going down easily or easily as they do.

For in general Auto-armour. this is a mechanic that saved crysis 3. if a merc maxes their heat then their bubble should auto deploy (as a safety measure to protect their alies from melt down ;) this is balanced because if a merc is careless they can deploy their shields prematurely so slow down with that rocket spam bub. but if they are dived on by say a ravage attack and are quick enough to dump out they're abilities the auto Armour will give them a fighting chance in CQC then if they have conserved their vent heat and are heal spec they cant be interrupted or if in pyro they can kite back.

Also a disengage should be an actual jet escape as ive said so many times target the area and fly to it but as above make it require the merc to be fully over heated and it can be a means of venting gas.

as for but hurt mercs You are dump trucks! mobile turrets or walking bombers either way you're job is to out DPS the enemy so get you're rotations in order, get you're heals where you can reach em and i can't stress this enough L2pick you're situations! sneak attacks, support fire,AOEs, stay with you're team in WZs and CC companions in PvPworlds you are ranged tacticians not ninjas :)

I don't know if you guys saw this interview with Jeff Hickman ( http://torwars.com/2012/12/20/torwars-exclusive-interview-swtors-jeff-hickman/ ) but basically :

"TW: What are your thoughts on the current character talent/skill progression and combat mechanics? Are there any changes your team is looking at?

"JH: I think we have a well-balanced, and interesting game from a talent/skill stand point. Nothing is ever perfect, but overall, we are pretty good. Having said that, we are always looking at balance, fun and interest (of the players) and will make changes as they are needed. You will definitely see some changes to the classes in the next four months."

Next four months? Maybe after four months when the Hutt dlc is released... that means 4 months of smashmonkeys at least, better roll one now and have a blast now.

Edited by yoomazir

I don't know if you guys saw this interview with Jeff Hickman ( http://torwars.com/2012/12/20/torwars-exclusive-interview-swtors-jeff-hickman/ ) but basically :

"TW: What are your thoughts on the current character talent/skill progression and combat mechanics? Are there any changes your team is looking at?

"JH: I think we have a well-balanced, and interesting game from a talent/skill stand point. Nothing is ever perfect, but overall, we are pretty good. Having said that, we are always looking at balance, fun and interest (of the players) and will make changes as they are needed. You will definitely see some changes to the classes in the next four months."

Next four months? Maybe after four months when the Hutt dlc is released... that means 4 months of smashmonkeys at least, better roll one now and have a blast now.

Yeah, from the sound of it, the expansion will probably be released a year to the day of Patch 1.2 (the last major class balancing; the same infamous update where they said they'd improve Commando and then proceeded to gut everything they didn't explicitly mention). The fact that they only do class balancing once a year is truly shameful and it's really my only problem with this game.

It would be great if they were less secretive about the changes, especially when some classes are considered useless in their current state. It's one thing to keep big story changes behind a curtain (that's my number one reason for playing the game -- story) but modifying classes and identifying problems should be a conversation. I know Allison and a few other of the mods/devs do a great job but I still wish there was a single dev dedicated to reporting on class balance.

Edited by SpaniardInfinity

Yeah, from the sound of it, the expansion will probably be released a year to the day of Patch 1.2 (the last major class balancing; the same infamous update where they said they'd improve Commando and then proceeded to gut everything they didn't explicitly mention). The fact that they only do class balancing once a year is truly shameful and it's really my only problem with this game.

It would be great if they were less secretive about the changes, especially when some classes are considered useless in their current state. It's one thing to keep big story changes behind a curtain (that's my number one reason for playing the game -- story) but modifying classes and identifying problems should be a conversation. I know Allison and a few other of the mods/devs do a great job but I still wish there was a single dev dedicated to reporting on class balance.

bioware's MO is that they do not reveal any info whatsoever until a project is ready to release.

obviously they have absolutely no credibility now after the 1.2 RWZ debacle. multiple dev feature blogs about RWZ, and then yanked from the patch literally 11 hours before release.

they also fail to realize that while 100% secrecy may succeed in building massive amounts of hype for a game that hasnt launched yet, keeping absolutely everything hush-hush from the playerbase in an active game actually has a negative affect. you would think after having the population drop from 2.5mil to ~.5mil at the most, bioware would start trying to change the way they do things. unfortunately they do not see that how they do things does not work to create an interesting and fun environment for players.

we have no idea whats coming even tomorrow, which is why there is always outrage about the smallest class buff/nerf. we have no communication whatsoever with the dev team, or the public relations team which seems to be the go-between. we have no idea about anything regarding the future of this game. with that kind of business model you will certainly capture the "little kid w/ mommy's credit card" demographic, but you are not going to hold the attention of the crowd that can actually form thoughts more intelligent that "ZOMGZ I WANT THAT LEET LIGHTSABER NOW!!11!".

the smart people, who are less attached to the Star Wars IP, have already bailed. it was smart b/c they saw this game has no future, especially in PvP. if this game wasnt Star Wars, or if there was another Star Wars MMO, i would have been long gone a while ago. im sure a lot of other people are in the same boat.

/endrant. went off on a bit of a tangent there. fix merc plox

bioware's MO is that they do not reveal any info whatsoever until a project is ready to release.

Well part of the problem is they seem to not have a good handle on the Hero Engine's limitations. Proceeding that far down the path for RWZ and then discovering only at the end that x-server wouldn't work illustrates this issue. Look at the Hickman interview where he specifically states, "One day, we could be discussing a huge feature that we want in the game and make several decisions based on that direction and the next, we could discover a huge road blocker that prevents us from going down that path".

I'm sympathetic to the difficulties that the devs may have, but the reality is that we've plunked down 200+ dollars on this product and they have not delivered to us a subclass that is viable in PvP. At a certain point as a customer you must become results oriented and judge the vendor on whether he can deliver results, not just good intentions.

Well part of the problem is they seem to not have a good handle on the Hero Engine's limitations. Proceeding that far down the path for RWZ and then discovering only at the end that x-server wouldn't work illustrates this issue. Look at the Hickman interview where he specifically states, "One day, we could be discussing a huge feature that we want in the game and make several decisions based on that direction and the next, we could discover a huge road blocker that prevents us from going down that path".

I'm sympathetic to the difficulties that the devs may have, but the reality is that we've plunked down 200+ dollars on this product and they have not delivered to us a subclass that is viable in PvP. At a certain point as a customer you must become results oriented and judge the vendor on whether he can deliver results, not just good intentions.

yeah, the entire RWZ situation is just a massive debacle. we are closing in on a full year of preseason, with not even a hint of fixes to the RWZ system.

i was more understanding of the dev's difficulties 6 months ago, but at a point enough is enough. the number of stupid little bugs/issues, some that have even been in since launch, that could be easily fixed is way to big for a game that has been live for a year+. the complete lack of communication combined with a complete lack of action is just bad.

i was more understanding of the dev's difficulties 6 months ago, but at a point enough is enough. the number of stupid little bugs/issues, some that have even been in since launch, that could be easily fixed is way to big for a game that has been live for a year+. the complete lack of communication combined with a complete lack of action is just bad.

well said, the both of you.

like i've said before, i would give this game a SOLID year. in that year i have seen the game regress, not progress. the bugs, class imbalances, lack of content (specifically WZ's and FP's), and even worse the server performance. peak hours, PvP is unplayable. NEVER had this, or any FPS, lag, or latency issues pre-FTP / server merges.

i'm in for one more patch (only since i pre-ordered). if improvements are not made, it's just time to walk away. the communication, or lack thereof, is very frustrating.

like others have said, if this wasn't a Star Wars IP, i would have been gone after 1.2.

Edited by T-Assassin

same. Rail Shot is typically 3.5-4k. ill get the occasional 4.5k hit against a sorc/sage. i *almost* broke 5k last night w/ Thermal Detonator, 4997. SO CLOSE :rolleyes:

Its a sad day when my heals as pyro, are bigger then my hardest hitting ability

Lately I have been able to heal myself for 4 - 5k,

Frankly I'd have quit a long time ago if it weren't for my guild. I still wouldn't PVP at all anymore I don't think if I hadn't started playing my shadow in PVP. Just not worth it.

If my guild told me tomorrow they were up and moving I'd quit this game in an instant. BW just hasn't made the product itself compelling enough to stick around.

Its a sad day when my heals as pyro, are bigger then my hardest hitting ability

Lately I have been able to heal myself for 4 - 5k,

ive only had a couple of >5k heals as a non-healing spec.

when i was spec'd heals tho, it was easy breaking 5k. wait for full resolve -> pop energy shield, throw kolto missile at my feet, pop supercharged gas, and spam rapid scans on myself. i broke 7k doing that once

Frankly I'd have quit a long time ago if it weren't for my guild.

Yeah, same for me - and the top dps merc on our server (Skillex) just unsubscribed a little while ago.

I'm sticking around for 1.7 only because I said I would, but it's with a grimace more than a smile now. And let's face it, what do we REALLY expect to change, if we're honest with ourselves?

Yeah, same for me - and the top dps merc on our server (Skillex) just unsubscribed a little while ago.

I'm sticking around for 1.7 only because I said I would, but it's with a grimace more than a smile now. And let's face it, what do we REALLY expect to change, if we're honest with ourselves?

ive given in to the darkside and started leveling a powertech. hes level 42, almost 43 now

not so much given up, as getting tired with arguing with either a wall or with people who are actually on the same side of the issue as me.

don't take anything i say as arguing, seriously. i'm just open for debate. i enjoy theory-crafting, comradery, if you will. same as i do with my RL friends. i'm always looking for ways to get better or make things better..like BASF :) and if we always agreed, life would be boring!!

but, it is somewhat tiring knowing i'm in the same boat with you guys, arguing, debating, w/e. and our only intention is to make a class we enjoy to play MORE enjoyable (well, playable). and in the end, all we really did was have conversation.

nothing will change, nothing will get better in a reasonable amount of time. i hope that is hyperbole...my mind and mmo experience tells me otherwise.

don't take anything i say as arguing, seriously. i'm just open for debate. i enjoy theory-crafting, comradery, if you will. same as i do with my RL friends. i'm always looking for ways to get better or make things better..like BASF :) and if we always agreed, life would be boring!!

but, it is somewhat tiring knowing i'm in the same boat with you guys, arguing, debating, w/e. and our only intention is to make a class we enjoy to play MORE enjoyable (well, playable). and in the end, all we really did was have conversation.

nothing will change, nothing will get better in a reasonable amount of time. i hope that is hyperbole...my mind and mmo experience tells me otherwise.

"its not an argument! its a contradiction of terms!" :cool:

but yeah, we're all on the same page trying to improve Merc/Mando. at some point bioware needs have an actual discussion with us (not just shove down our throat the opinion of a stupid dev that clearly doesnt play the class).

1.7 should be 1-2 weeks away from PTS, as the holidays delayed it a few weeks. supposedly that will be bringing some balance changes, so we will see what happens

I'd go sniper. While I love my commando, playing a sniper is easysauce in comparison.

yep so would i. i played a sniper in beta so as to not spoil the BH storyline, but now i wish i had just stuck with sniper. in the first place. i have a level 29 alt sniper, but i am the most unmotivated mmo leveler ever