Order 66 questions

zElmTree

So Order 66 was the order given by palpatine aka lord sidius to flip a "switch" in the clones to make them betray the jedi. At least I think it is...so I have a couple questions

1. Were the clones just acting all throughout the clone wars tv shows?

2. Are the clones consisidered evil?

3. Have they always known they were going to betray the Jedi eventually?

4. How could the Jedi not sense a plot to destroy all Jedi by the clones. I mean if they are supposedly weak minded aka "these aren't the droids you're looking for..move along" wouldn't the Jedi or Yoda feel a certain doom coming from the clones?

Yeah that's basically it...if u have anymore questions about it feel free to ask

Edited by zElmTree

1. No

2. No

3. Probably not, it was pretty much a contingency plan if the jedi did do something against the Republic, which the odds of that actually happening would be none.

4. They did, but by that time it was too late Yoda only survived because he sensed all the other jedi dying.

In other words, the clones were not evil or acting as they were just following orders and doing what they were told. Some of them knew it was wrong, but they didn't do anything about and those that did were killed soon after.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

So Order 66 was the order given by palpatine aka lord sidius to flip a "switch" in the clones to make them betray the jedi. At least I think it is...so I have a couple questions

Not all the clones ever heard of order 66. Only the commander's I believe even knew of it.

They were designed to follow orders without question not really there fault.

Nope,but there was always a "back up" plan to kill them all if they betrayed the republic.

4. How could the Jedi not sense a plot to destroy all Jedi by the clones. I mean if they are supposedly weak minded aka "these aren't the droids you're looking for..move along" wouldn't the Jedi or Yoda feel a certain doom coming from the clones?

Clones weren't really weak minded they they were just untrained against the influence of the force sense the only guys they had to worry about was Count Dooku and Asajj Ventress. Also jedi found it increasingly difficult to see the future since Darth Plagueis corrupted the force. Only when jedi started dying they started to sense something was off

Thats it.

Edited by DarkCelestial

No, their only priority is to protect the Republic, whereas the jedi are a part of it, but not literally merged within it.

No. They're just following orders.

There's a large chance that the answer is a no. They're just "protecting" the Republic, as that is their priority, even if it includes the death of Jedi.

They could sense that something was wrong, yet they were not certain of it. Before they were able to make up their mind, the clones turned on the Jedi in the climax of the clone wars.

/DoctorWho And with that sentance you just lost the right to even talk to me. /DoctorWho.

Order 66 was one of many executive orders that dictated how the clone troopers would respond in certain situations. Order 66 was to deal with the Jedi in the event they became enemies of the Republic. Order 65 called for the Clone Troopers to remove the Chancellor himself from power, should he pose a threat to the Republic.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Order_66

/DoctorWho And with that sentance you just lost the right to even talk to me. /DoctorWho.

Order 66 was one of many executive orders that dictated how the clone troopers would respond in certain situations. Order 66 was to deal with the Jedi in the event they became enemies of the Republic. Order 65 called for the Clone Troopers to remove the Chancellor himself from power, should he pose a threat to the Republic.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Order_66

Order 67 called for the removal of the Senate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Eminok

Normally I'd agree with you, but in this instance I think its fair to point out that the Clones were not just ordered to execute the Jedi because they were Jedi. The Order 66 was intended to remove the Jedi in the event they betrayed the Republic. As far as the Clones new, they were attacking an enemy of the Republic. One that was potentially capable of being a serious threat.

Its a minor distinction, I know, especially given that the Clones attacked the Jedi without evidence of their betrayal or any indication that the entire order was a threat. I guess I am just feeling the need to play devils advocate.

I also believe there were the rare clones that didn't turn on the jedi, it shows that not all clones follow orders blindly, its not like they are mind controlled, they just obey without question most of the time.

99% of the clones show little free-thinking ability or any desire to think for themselves, but they can't be as bad as droids (thats the whole point) so they have this middleground of obedience and free-thinking. However some clones are more individual than others.

Edited by Neopopulas

"Execute Order 66" was a code phrase that activated the Clones' programming to eliminate the Jedi. Similar to code words or phrases to activate brainwashed people, as seen in numerous spy thrillers through the years and decades. They were loyal to their Jedi commanders up until that point. Then their brainwashing kicked in and they turned their full attention to eliminating the Jedi.

Now, for some reason, some Clones were able to resist their programming. A flaw in the cloning process, perhaps? Order 66 was genetically imprinted into most Clone troopers, however.

I don't know if order 66 was simply a code word that activated a certain hidden program in the clones make-up, or that they had a series of orders all along. In the latter case the clones would always have known they could be ordered to destroy the jedi.

I think the clones were programmed to follow Palpatine's orders blindly. Their initiative and freedom of thought was limited to the way they carried out military orders. In that sense they were less free than Threepio or Artoo.

I wonder what would happen if a clone could be convinced that Palpatine was acting against the republic.

I also believe there were the rare clones that didn't turn on the jedi, it shows that not all clones follow orders blindly, its not like they are mind controlled, they just obey without question most of the time.

99% of the clones show little free-thinking ability or any desire to think for themselves, but they can't be as bad as droids (thats the whole point) so they have this middleground of obedience and free-thinking. However some clones are more individual than others.

While I think it'd be a mistake to let TCW actually delve into the timeline of ROTS to show us Order 66, I think the show's doing a great job showing the clones' various personalities and potential for questioning orders and thinking for themselves. "Deserter" started Rex down the path of NOT always following the rules, and the General Krell arc continued his journey (and that of some other clones). Some know now that the Jedi shouldn't just be blindly trusted because they were their superiors, and that not all Jedi were good.

I like to think that Rex wouldn't obey Order 66, not if he was around a Jedi he trusted like Ahsoka, and that he would stop any other clones from executing her as well. At worst, he'd tell Ahsoka she was under arrest and explain the order he'd been given by the Chancellor--which might prompt an action scene of Ahsoka trying to escape, but would also likely start a conversation that could be interesting.

One of the problems I had with Order 66 and the clones' unthinking obedience to it was that you'd think it'd be impractical from a military perspective. They were often in the middle of a battle, and they're killing their generals!

One of the problems I had with Order 66 and the clones' unthinking obedience to it was that you'd think it'd be impractical from a military perspective. They were often in the middle of a battle, and they're killing their generals!

At the time it was given, Pally was into his endgame. He had his power base pretty well established, and was ready for the final coup. He had complete control of the military, and 99% of the Senate was behind him. He also controlled the "enemy" Trade Federation and Separatist forces. So after Order 66 was given, he really didn't have much to worry about.

Programming makes the most sense, btw. Obi-Wan and Cody were pretty much best friends. Also, in the Star Wars Episode III game, Obi-Wan is overheard telling the Clones formerly under his command to fight their programming. He could sense the change in their behavior wasn't natural.

Also, in a previous post, it was stated that Yoda survived because he sensed all the other Jedi dying. I believe he also sensed the change in his bodyguards' personalities and recognized it for what it was.

I mean if they are supposedly weak minded aka "these aren't the droids you're looking for..move along"

Most of the stormtroopers in ANH era were not clones. There was a couple different places where it talked about how the Empire would conscript troops because doing that would actually be cheaper then making clones.

No the orders actually go straight to 150, they were contingency plans used for the clones in case chain of command was compromised. There was even one where the Jedi could take control but required more conditions in order to use. The council approved this due to order 66 in case Palpatine was compromised. But would need senate proof. Which Mace Windu was trying to acquire unaware Palpatine had planted recording devices of the attack as proof the jedi were evil. The order was accepted because of the easily fooled windu was into attacking him and talking.

If they were the Jedi would of detected it and wouldn't have been court of guard. They were following orders and some didn't.

These were contingency orders they were trained with I think all 150 in case chain of command was compromised there would be protocols to follow.

Yeah that's basically it...if u have anymore questions about it feel free to ask

The Force was being clouded by the Dark side as well as the light. Emperor Palpatine was avid in the ability to sense the future but despite his Augers telling him of what would happen at the second death star he believed to be impossible he fell, well once.

As for the whole plot remember that the prophecy promised to bring balance to the force and there was avid Light side for a number of centuries. Yoda and many others felt Anakin would be a double edged sword.

Thank god his power was crippled at Mustofar otherwise the Emperor would of ruled the Galaxy. So in the end the prophecy was fulfilled with the destruction of the Jedi and then the sith

"Execute Order 66" was a code phrase that activated the Clones' programming to eliminate the Jedi. Similar to code words or phrases to activate brainwashed people, as seen in numerous spy thrillers through the years and decades. They were loyal to their Jedi commanders up until that point. Then their brainwashing kicked in and they turned their full attention to eliminating the Jedi.

Now, for some reason, some Clones were able to resist their programming. A flaw in the cloning process, perhaps? Order 66 was genetically imprinted into most Clone troopers, however.

Considering that they came up with 150 contingency orders of similar themes, I don't think it was a brainwashing thing. They were independently thinking, not some sort of brainwash or hive mind.

I don't know exactly how it went, because I'm midway through the book Order 66 of the Republic Commando series, but I know that Kal Skirata, Omega and, I believe, Delta squad, along with the Nulls ignored the order and fled, and set up a underground railroad for those clones who ignored the order and wanted to escape.

Considering that they came up with 150 contingency orders of similar themes, I don't think it was a brainwashing thing. They were independently thinking, not some sort of brainwash or hive mind.

All of their standing orders were genetically imprinted. Also the way they changed from one mode to another, it was as if a switch had been flipped in their brains. Looked and sounded like brainwashing/programming to me.

All of their standing orders were genetically imprinted. Also the way they changed from one mode to another, it was as if a switch had been flipped in their brains. Looked and sounded like brainwashing/programming to me.

Are you going off movies or books?

In the books, it describes that they were just bred to be extremely obedient and not question orders. So if they got an order that said "Hey the jedi are traitors, kill them" then they would do it. Also, by this point, I believe that Palpatine had already started inserting some of the second generation clones he had been making on that moon base of his. So those others were completely controlled by him.

Are you going off movies or books?

In the books, it describes that they were just bred to be extremely obedient and not question orders. So if they got an order that said "Hey the jedi are traitors, kill them" then they would do it. Also, by this point, I believe that Palpatine had already started inserting some of the second generation clones he had been making on that moon base of his. So those others were completely controlled by him.

And "bred to be extremely obedient" is different than brainwashing/programming how? Still genetically imprinted. I do believe, however, the rogue clones that disobeyed Order 66 were in "sibling units" where not all of the genetic conditioning worked as far as extreme orders such as 66. They were clones. Bred and programmed to be the perfect soldiers. Sounds like the plot of Rogue Trooper, tbh. Probably where George got that idea. lol

1. I don't know. My theory is that Order 66 was a verbal command to activate programming dormant in the clone's mind. So I guess they really were good guys during The Clone Wars.

2. Only after Revenge of the Sith. After that, Clones were used in the Imperial Navy, so yea.

3. Conflicting canon here. My theory gathered from books is that the Clones had no idea. But in the Battlefront II game, at the end of the Felucia mission, a clone said

"General Secura complimented us on a job well done. Said she had never seen such a valiant company before. I could barely look her in the eye."

So, I don't know.

4. Well, Palpatine was shrouding his plans in the Dark Side, reducing the Jedi's powers of prediction. To make sure their non-Force related instincts wouldn't kick in, he allowed countless battles to take place, cementing the clone army's appearance as the Jedi's merry helpers, both to the Jedi, and the Clones themselves. Thus, the Clone War was essentially a social gathering, introducing the Jedi to their future murderers. My question is: How did the Kaminoans make Clones? Cause i'd love to have a programmable soldier to do my homework for me :D