Do you support an in game version of Recount. Please give reasons for your answer.

Israel

Just to be clear, this thread is advocating an in-game Bioware built tool and not a third-party addon.

Recount is not just a "damage meter"... it is a graphical interface which allows you to view group activity in the combat log i.e. Damage Done over the duration of the fight by each player, Friendly Fire, Damage Taken, Healing Done, Absorbs, Healing Taken, Overhealing Done, Deaths, DOT Uptime, HOT Uptime, Player Combat Activity, Dispels, The Dispelled, Interrupts, Ressers, CC Breakers, Resources Gained, etc.

I believe these tools play an important role in identifying whether a player is doing well or under-performing. Nevertheless, these graphs should be the starting point an indicator that you should be looking more closely at the situation. Used wisely, a tool like this could greatly improve guild performance.

Some individuals are fearful of an "elitist" backlash caused by the improper use of such a tool. Nevertheless, people have also argued that this tool would actually curb elitist behavior based on FACTS and DATA rather than Gear, Achievements, Spec, Gut Feeling or Favoritism.

The inevitability of undesirable behavior isn't something we can escape in a massive online community, so the real question is...

Would you rather be castigated based on factual data or would you rather take your chances with the "hunch" of a self seeking jerk?

With Recount

Jerk: Dude please leave the group your DPS sucks.

Without Recount

Jerk: Dude please leave the group you are wearing a green helm and your gear isn't good enough for this encounter. (You get kicked, even if you were top DPS)

-

EDIT: It would also totally eliminate "recount spam". They could disable all data broadcasts... If everyone has access to the information there would be no need to broadcast the results.

EDIT UPDATE:

-

During the speed-fire round starting at 13:00 in the video. Georg confirms an out of game COMBAT LOG!

People will have access to combat logs please bring a recount version in the game!

I think Georg Zoeller understands our pain for not having a combat log at launch, let's hope they "get it right" and quickly.

People who don't like Recount.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there, everyone! The previous version of this thread went over 1,000 posts and has been recreated. You can read the original conversation here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=5025.

We would like to take a moment and remind everyone of the Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Please remember that users are allowed to disagree with one another - repeatedly telling others to "stay on topic" or stating you are ignoring them is not constructive or conducive to healthy discussion. We understand that sometimes subjects can get heated, but we do ask that everyone is respectful and polite to each other while giving their opinions. Here are some quick examples to keep in mind when posting.

• Never insult another community member.
  • Always discuss the topic and give constructive criticism.
  • If you feel someone is violates the Rules of Conduct, do not reply to them; simply report (flag) the post.
  • If someone is being a troll, don’t feed them. Simply do not reply and report (flag) the post.
  • Be respectful to all community members; while you may not agree with their opinion, you should not be rude to them.

Thanks for your understanding, and please enjoy your friendly discussion!

The inevitability of undesirable behavior isn't something we can escape in a massive online community, so the real question is...

Would you rather be castigated based on factual data or would you rather take your chances with the "hunch" of a self seeking jerk?

Metering avoids castigation? Seriously? Edited by GalacticKegger

I'd like it for personal reasons. It would give me a tool to see how well I am performing and provide feedback which would allow me to improve my gameplay.

But if it's used to kick someone out of a group...meh, that would suck.

We don't need add on's...

that's all I pretty much have to say. Maybe some people are having a withdrawl from not having a MOD tell them everything they need to know. Well adjust. What If I wanted a pink rainbow animal. Would I be able to get if I complained enough?

Yes to UI(They said they would do this)

NO to DRUGS and NO to ADD ON's.

Thanks Meluna.

I'll just end my thoughts on the subject by saying that so long as combat logs, damage meters, addons and macros are optional secondary features that need to be sought out and enabled; there is no reason for anyone to argue against their existence.

If your only argument is "I want you to play the game the way I play it" then your opinion's value is diminished, and you may as well keep it to yourself.

No addons. In the end, they make the game easier. Not good.

More default UI flexibility? Yes.

really recount makes the game easier? more like exposes the bad players who are not pulling there weight in a grp, or suck at there class, only bad players support not have a damage meter and any way to record performance

We don't need add on's...

that's all I pretty much have to say. Maybe some people are having a withdrawl from not having a MOD tell them everything they need to know. Well adjust. What If I wanted a pink rainbow animal. Would I be able to get if I complained enough?

Yes to UI(They said they would do this)

NO to DRUGS and NO to ADD ON's.

Info and data =/= pink rainbow animal

I don't see anything wrong with it per se, but just like gearscore (yeah, remember in wow when that was popular) more often than not, people will abuse it to the point of absurdity.

It ends up becoming: "oh my god, you are doing 100 less dps the this other guy who is in tricked out gear and overlevels the content by a considerable margin" Kick.

Yeah, bit of an overstatement, but people DO take it to the extremes, and that is the point.

For everyone one person who uses it correctly, especially guilds who analyze the data for the hardest of hard encounters to pick apart what went wrong, I can bet there are 5 or 10 who will misuse or misinterpret the information.

Thanks Meluna.

I'll just end my thoughts on the subject by saying that so long as combat logs, damage meters, addons and macros are optional secondary features that need to be sought out and enabled; there is no reason for anyone to argue against their existence.

They give advantages. In same cases huge ones. They would have an impact on pvp.

Not needed.

really recount makes the game easier? more like exposes the bad players who are not pulling there weight in a grp, or suck at there class, only bad players support not have a damage meter and any way to record performance
If playing without addons makes the game more challenging, then the obvious conclusion is that addons make gameplay easier. If playing without addons makes the game less challenging, then the obvious conclusion is that addons make gameplay more difficult. So addons either make the game easier to play or more difficult to play.

If your statement that addons don't make a game easier to play is true, then addons must make the game more difficult - which would inherently breed the increased possibility of bad play.

Edited by GalacticKegger

This is a crutch for the weaker player's that cannot play with it being an add on or a bulit in tool. I don't want people spamming requirement's for DPS. I don't want this game to become work. If it does it LOSES ITS CASUAL APPEAL.

If they do make a recount in game. I will quit my sub in protest. I know other's will follow. Part of the reason we came here. We are tired of gear score...tired of recount..threat DBM. Wow has all of that and more if people want that.

This game has had great success without it and BECAUSE OF IT. It will no doubt divide the community. (Age old argument if you don't like it don't use it.) Really? so your telling me that raid asking people to join won't require a certain DPS. Well a built in tool is not optional. It is FORCED. You are forcing this down our throats while laughing in our face.

Let the game be as it is.

I am going to eat it up with a spoon when I can finally link everyone's damage in group.

It'll be a great day to be alive.

You are forcing this down our throats while laughing in our face.

Finally, someone understands me! <3

Put on your bib!

Edited by AlpsStranger

They give advantages. In same cases huge ones. They would have an impact on pvp.

Not needed.

They provide the playerbase as a whole the same information.

I'm starting to get the feel you don't know what damage meters are. Seriously, not sure if troll etc.

Do you have a problem with flytext as well? You know that has the exact info the dps chart would, except the chart gathers the info into ..well, a chart.

This is a crutch for the weaker player's that cannot play with it being an add on or a bulit in tool. I don't want people spamming requirement's for DPS. I don't want this game to become work. If it does it LOSES ITS CASUAL APPEAL.

If they do make a recount in game. I will quit my sub in protest. I know other's will follow. Part of the reason we came here. We are tired of gear score...tired of recount..threat DBM. Wow has all of that and more if people want that.

This game has had great success without it and BECAUSE OF IT. It will no doubt divide the community. (Age old argument if you don't like it don't use it.) Really? so your telling me that raid asking people to join won't require a certain DPS. Well a built in tool is not optional. It is FORCED. You are forcing this down our throats while laughing in our face.

Let the game be as it is.

Their raid, their rules. You can always start your own raid. Also, how is it a 'crutch for weaker player's" when it seems your concern is that people with weak DPS won't be able to play in any reindeer games? Seems the addons weed out the 'weaker player's" based on that concern.

Who cares about pugs?

That depends on how mad they get when I paste their damage.

I think I gave this one anti-meter guy a heart attack in Rift when I used the external real-time parser and a little "Ctr-V" action. He was all like **** this, I quit, etc. It was fun, and he was mad bro.

Edited by AlpsStranger

I wouldn't mind a version of recount for self only but not party wide.

Using WoW as an example, when wrath first came out and people were just starting heroics everyone had piss poor gear to start. The server wide average DPS was X. Then we all grinded our badges ran the raids etc and got better gear. So collectively the average dps was Y. Then a new guy comes along. He has the DPS of X like everyone else did back in the day but he's being compared to Y.

Some people will understand this and not give the new guy a hard time but many unfortunately will berate the guy or even kick him all together. It makes the community feel uninviting and make pugging unfun. So I'm against that.

But having the info for yourself is really helpful. Limiting to self could also add some interesting functionality to the dps tracking. It could save and track stats across fights and across gear. Give dps history charts. etc.

They provide the playerbase as a whole the same information.

I'm starting to get the feel you don't know what damage meters are. Seriously, not sure if troll etc.

Do you have a problem with flytext as well? You know that has the exact info the dps chart would, except the chart gathers the info into ..well, a chart.

Raiding was a lot different before addons and a lot more fun. You wouldn't understand. Raiding is a paint by numbers experience in WoW. Very lame imo.

Yes, I know exactly what recount is. Yes, it makes the game a lot easier. That's why you want it. You want to go from zero to optimal in 5 minutes.

Edited by Gohlar